InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Demon Blood ❯ Sirius ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Demon Blood" by Jezunya

Chapter 1: Sirius

Disclaimer: How many times do I have to say this?? I don't own IY!!!! (I just force him and his little friends to act out my deranged ideas)Sirius

Ergh.. this fic has been up on FF.net as well as my site (http://www.geocities.com/jezunya/) for a very long time, but I only just realized that I had forgotten to post it here when I went to put up the new Ch 3! ^^;; So sorry! Here it is! ^_~

** ** ** ** **

"Bartender! I'm looking for a hanyou by the name of Inuyasha." The demoness leaned over the bar, her canine ears pricked forward, listening to the man intently. "I had heard that he was in this area; has he come through here?"

"Aye, he and his group of adventurers are here in the village right now. They be a-passing through, but they're staying at the Village Head's house t'night," the pudgy man said, deciding that it was probably safer to give the youkai a quick, direct answer, than risk having her obviously sharp claws at his throat.

"Arigatou." The demoness smiled toothily and went back to where her heavily armored companions were sitting.

Across the tavern, Miroku quietly slipped out and hurried back to the others.

***

"Someone's looking for us."

"What do you mean?" Kagome asked from her place by the fire. The others were looking up at the houshi as well, curiosity and varying amounts of worry on their faces.

"I mean there was a group of demons in the tavern asking questions about dog-boy here." Miroku sat down next to the fire and picked up a bowl of rice. "They didn't even seem to kno-"

"Shh!" Inuyasha cut him off abruptly. The dog-demon was staring at the window, his face unreadable. Moving silently, he stood and pushed aside the window shade just enough for him to see out. In the street below, the group of demons was speaking with the Village Head.

Inuyasha paled visibly and cursed under his breath.

Myouga hopped up to the dog-demon's shoulder. "Why, if it isn't--" Inuyasha growled and flicked his servant off his shoulder, effectively shutting him up.

"Pack up," he commanded, turning from the window and dowsing the fire.

"Wha-?" Kagome asked, not moving.

"We're leaving NOW."

***

Kagome watched Inuyasha walking at the head of the group, deep in thought. He looks so lonely.. She increased her pace, leaving her place beside where Sango and Miroku were bickering to walk with the white-haired hanyou. She pushed her bike along, watching different emotions chase each other across his face. "Daijoubu, Inuyasha?" she asked after a while.

He looked up at her, slightly surprised, seeming to not have noticed her. He grunted in response, shrugging his shoulders as he looked away. "Why do you ask?" he asked gruffly.

Now it was Kagome's turn to shrug. "You just look so sad."

Inuyasha blinked at her a few times, then turned his gaze back to the road. They walked in silence for a few minutes.

"What happened yesterday in that village?" Kagome asked quietly, as if choosing her words carefully. "You seemed kinda upset."

Inuyasha's face darkened at that comment. "Feh... I doubt they'll follow us as far east as Kaede's village, so just forget about it," he muttered.

Blink blink. "You didn't answer the question."

"So?"

"So I asked you a question and I want an answer. What's going on, Inuyasha?"

Inuyasha glared at her, then turned away with a derisive snort. "It's none of your business."

"Why? Why won't you tell me?! You never tell me anything!"

"Yeah, well maybe the truth is worse!" Inuyasha snarled. He stood, sucking in deep, angry breaths for a moment, then turned on his heel and stomped down the path.

Kagome watched him go, sadness and anger in her eyes. The others stared from behind her. "What was that all about?" Miroku finally asked.

"Nothing," Kagome replied forcibly, and resumed walking.

***

Later that night, after many threats and warnings directed at a certain hanyou and a certain priest, the girls settled down for a long soak in the hot spring near their camp.

"So..." Sango said casually. "What were you and Inuyasha arguing about earlier?"

"It was nothing," Kagome said , absently looking off into the dark forest.

"Bull shit."

Kagome looked up, surprised. It wasn't like Sango to use such harsh language.

"You were really upset and you've been quiet all day. What did that bastard say to you?" Sango demanded.

"I-Argh!! He just makes me so mad!! He won't tell me anything until we're in the worst situations!! And when I do find out, it's usually by accident or I have to pry it out of him!! Like that time with the Spider-Heads! He knew he was going to turn human that night and that he wouldn't be able to fight, but he just couldn't trust me enough to tell me!!" Kagome sat back on her rock, angrily crossing her arms over her chest, her jaw jutting defiantly.

Sango watched her friend with practiced calm. These kinds of explosions were normal after an Inuyasha/Kagome fight. "Kagome-chan?" she said softly.

The other girl just sniffled and continued to glare out at the forest.

"Kagome-chan, what were you trying to ask him?" Sango tried again.

"I wanted to know about the demons that were in that village yesterday," Kagome huffed. "But he wouldn't tell me anything. He just said something about Kaede's village being too far east for them to follow and that it was none of my business."

"'Too far east'?" Sango echoed. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Kagome shrugged, "I don't know." After a few moments of silence, the future girl began ranting again. "And who were those demons that were looking for him, anyway?! They didn't cause any trouble in that village, but you'd think Inuyasha would want to fight them just for being there! Instead, he insists that we get out of there!!"

Sango was nodding thoughtfully. "Maybe they were old enemies of his. Like from before the whole thing with Naraku and the Jewel happened." She specifically avoided mentioning the Jewel's protectress, Kikyou.

"Hmm...maybe..." Kagome nodded as well. "He was stuck to the Go Shinboku for fifty years, so all his enemies probably thought he was dead."

"But now that he's awake..." Sango began.

"They're all coming after him again!" they both said at once.

"That baka!!" Kagome growled, shivering despite the warm water. "What if they attack us? If he doesn't tell us, how will we know how to fight them?!"

"Maybe he was afraid you'd be scared if he did tell you," Sango pointed out.

Kagome frowned at that. "He did say that the truth was worse than not knowing at all..."

"But what kind demon could frighten him so much that he wouldn't want the rest of us to know about it?" Sango mused. "After all, it's not as if we have no experience as fighters."

"It must be pretty bad. I mean, this is Inuyasha we're talking about here." Suddenly Kagome laughed. "Maybe it's another ex-girlfriend!" The girls had a good laugh at the dog-demon's expense, then slowly quieted down.

"But seriously," Sango said. "I wonder what kind of demons they were."

"They?"

"Yeah. Houshi-sama said there was a whole group looking for hi-"

"Miroku!" Kagome exclaimed.

"Wha--?"

"He saw the demons!!"

They stared at each other for a moment, then, in the same instant, leapt out of the spring. "Let's go!"

***

Miroku let out a startled yelp as two pairs of hands suddenly appeared and pulled him into the bushes. He was momentarily relieved to see that it was only Kagome and Sango. The relief quickly died when he saw the intense, determined looks on their faces.

"Miroku-sama," Kagome said. "Do you remember what happened in that village yesterday? When that group of demons was looking for Inuyasha?"

"Well, yes, of course-"

"Do you remember what they looked like?" Sango hissed.

"Yes, but--"

"Could you tell what kind of demons they were?" Kagome demanded.

"WOULD YOU TWO CALM DOWN!" Miroku yelled, shocking the girls into silence. "Now, one at a time. What do you want to know?"

"Well," Kagome said meekly. "Do you know what type of demons those were in that village yesterday?"

The houshi rubbed his chin, thinking. "Hmm... They had humanoid forms, but were obviously youkai, because of their pointed ears and claws and such." He closed his eyes, remembering. "The leader, however, seemed to be a hanyou."

"A hanyou?!" Sango gasped, staring at the priest.

"Yes." Miroku opened his eyes. "I suppose they were dog-demons, because the leader was sporting the same canine ears and claws as our own half-breed friend. Now that I think of it, there is definitely a resemblance between the two, save for her coloring and the fact that she was, well, a she."

The two girls sweat-dropped. "You just couldn't help noticing that, could you?" Sango said wryly. "But that is interesting, that other dog demons are looking for Inuyasha. I wonder why..."

"Perhaps we should confront him about it?" Miroku suggested.

Kagome shook her head. "I already tried. He just got all defensive and said it was none of my business." She flushed sheepishly. "That's what we were fighting about earlier today."

"Ah, I see. Why don't we just wait and see what happens, ne?" When the girls gave him questioning looks, Miroku continued. "If we are indeed being tracked by dog-demons - and full-blooded ones, at that - I think we can trust that their noses will lead them right to us sooner or later. So the best thing to do is wait and not fret about it." He smiled when the two girls nodded in agreement.

"However, in the meantime, Kagome-sama, there is a very grouchy half-demon waiting for you who I'm sure wants to talk out this morning's conflict." Kagome began to protest, but Miroku cut her off. "Please, Kagome, at least for Shippou's and my sake, go talk to him."

"You need to work this out," Sango concurred.

The future girl looked back and forth between her two friends and couldn't help thinking bitterly how quickly a conversation could turn on a person. "Fine," she sighed. "I'll go see him." And she set off towards the camp.

***

She found him sitting out on a hill just outside of the campsite, staring up at the star-studded sky. Kagome took a deep breath and approached him. "Inuyasha?" she said softly, coming up behind him. One ear swiveled around at the sound of her voice, but he showed no other outward sign that he had even acknowledged her presence. Kagome wordlessly sat beside him on the soft grass, watching his face.

He had the same almost-sad look on his face that he had worn that morning, and there were once again varying amounts of regret and worry dancing through his eyes. He glanced at her sidelong, then quickly went back to stargazing.

Kagome looked down at her knees, which were pulled halfway up to her chest. She was speaking before she realized what she was doing. "I wanted to apologize for what happened this morning," she said in a small voice.

Inuyasha remained silent next to her. She was about ready to leave when the sound of his voice stopped her.

"Don't. It was my fault."

Kagome could only stare at him. Had she heard him wrong? He was taking responsibility for the argument? She finally found her voice. "What?" she said intelligently.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gotten so angry." He sighed and looked down at his feet, then up at her. "It doesn't matter anyway. Like I said earlier, she won't follow us all the way to Edo."

Blink. "Who is she anyway? You seem to know whoever's following us." She shivered and almost unconsciously scooted closer to Inuyasha. He didn't seem to notice.

"Yeah... um.." He paused and looked away again, at his feet. "I knew her a very long time ago, but, uh, something happened, and... I guess I didn't think I'd ever see her again." He swallowed, still studying his toes, and Kagome saw several emotions mix and swirl through his eyes.

"Were you... friends..?"

He looked up at her. "I.. suppose you could call it that."

"Oh..." Kagome said, her face sad. Her earlier words came back to her, 'Maybe it's another ex-girlfriend!' Is that it, Inuyasha? Were you in love with someone even before you met Kikyou?

"But if she thinks she can just come trotting over here..." Inuyasha growled, baring his fangs at the night sky, breaking through her thoughts.

Kagome watched his show of anger, then suddenly smiled. Inuyasha glanced at her and asked, "What?" sounding almost like his usual, annoyed self.

The girl looked away, blushing slightly, but still smiling. "It's just... you almost never open up like that. I guess I kinda like it.. when you tell me what's bothering you, what you like or don't like," she looked up at him, "when you talk about stuff in your past."

He just stared at her a moment, then exclaimed, "By the kami, woman! You need a new hobby!"

"What's that supposed to mean?!" Kagome cried. "I've known you for almost a year, and yet I feel like I barely know you at all!" She fell silent, then said with a toss of her hair, "And besides, I do have other hobbies."

"Yeah? Like what?"

"Well..." Kagome said. "I like to draw, and.." The twinkling stars above caught her eye. She smiled. "And I like astronomy."

"Oh really?" His eyes sparkled playfully. "You any good?"

Kagome nodded. "I guess... I've memorized a bunch of the constellations, if that's what you mean." She paused scanning the sky. "Like right there! See that?" She glanced at him, pointing at a star. He leaned close to her to see her line of vision. "That's--"

"--Polaris... The North Star..."

Kagome looked at him, smiling slowly. "Yeah."

Inuyasha flushed and looked at the ground again. "I used to use it a lot... when I was traveling alone... I had to depend on the stars to guide me.."

"Oh..." Kagome said, her eyes wide in wonder. She turned back to the skies. "I had to use it once, too," she said quietly.

Inuyasha glanced at her, surprised.

"It was a couple of years ago... I guess I was about ten years old. One time, when I was at summer camp, I went out in the middle of the night on a dare. I got lost on the way back, but I managed to find the North Star and found my way back to camp."

"Huh..."

Kagome sat in reverie for a moment, then looked up at the skies again. She pointed, tracing her finger along a constellation. "You see that one? It's called Ursa Minor - the 'Little Bear.'" She sighed a bit wistfully. "My dad used to call me that. He said I was his little bear." She looked down, smiling even as her eyes began to water. But that was before he died...

Inuyasha just watched the emotions move through Kagome's blue eyes, unsure as to how to comfort her. After a moment, he asked, "What about that one?" He pointed at a star, easily the brightest in all the sky.

Kagome looked to where he was pointing and couldn't help smiling. "That's Sirius. The 'Dog Star.'"

"Yeah, I know," Inuyasha said. "I was just wondering if you knew it." He paused and gave her a playful, lopsided smile, making Kagome giggle. "Do you have a story for that one too?"

Kagome suddenly tensed. "Well... actually, yes. It's, um, kind of a funny story." She scratched her head and laughed nervously. "You see.. I had, um, asked my mom if I could have a dog. She said there was no place we could keep a dog at the Shrine, but Grampa told me to wish on the Dog Star and I might get a pet for my birthday or something." She looked away, blushing furiously, but continued. "So I did, and that night I had a dream.. about..." she trailed off, her face now easily more red than Inuyasha's kimono.

"About..?" Inuyasha prompted.

She spoke so quietly now that he would not have heard her at all if it weren't for his demonic ears. "I dreamt that sometime, when I was older, I would meet this big.. white... dog...."

Inuyasha blinked a few times. You... dreamed about.. me..? For some reason that thought sent a delightful shiver up and down his spine. He was about to press her further when Kagome shivered. Seeing this, Inuyasha said sternly, "You should go back to camp. It's getting cold out here."

Kagome nodded and turned to look at him one last time, then gasped softly at how close their faces were.

"Uh..." Inuyasha said, his eyes wide and surprised too. When had he gotten so close to her?

"I should probably.. go..." Kagome whispered, her eyes never leaving his.

"Y-yeah.."

Neither moved.

Inuyasha realized that his arm had managed to snake its way around Kagome's waist, and he pulled away quickly, breaking the spell. "Well, go on," he said gruffly, looking away to hide the blush he could feel climbing up his face.

Kagome smiled a bit shakily, then stood and began walking back toward the campsite, leaving the dog-demon alone with his thoughts.

***

She lounged on the branch of a sturdy oak tree, her limbs dangling lifelessly. She'd been so close. He had been right there, in that village. So close! But he had managed to slip out before she could catch him. Oh, when she got her hands on him, she'd really give him a piece of her mind..!

"Lady Ketzia!" one of her men-at-arms shouted, waking her from her thoughts of ringing a certain half-youkai's neck. "I think we've found the scent!"

She was immediately on her feet, sniffing the ground delicately. Yes… he's been here…

"M'lady?"

"It's him," she said with a curt nod, and took off through the dark forest.

***

"I feel like a barely know you at all!"

Inuyasha gazed down at his sleeping charge, his thoughts troubled.

But if you knew me, what would you think? Would you hate me? Fear me? I don't think I could stand that.

Kagome shifted in her sleep, as if she could feel his gaze on her. He closed his eyes, her steady breathing lulling him into a sleep devoid of rest and full of dark memories and wistful dreams.

** ** ** ** **

Please review!! ^__^

(And, yeah, I KNOW - run-ons are my weakness.) XP