InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Desperation ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Five
It was late afternoon and Sesshoumaru hadn't moved since he had set Inuyasha's arm and leg. He sat against the wall near the futon with knee bent and his wrist resting on it. He had accepted some tea and a sandwich from Mrs. Higurashi around noon. Other than to thank her he had spoken to no one.
With his eyes half closed he sat still as stone and listened to his brothers strong heart beat and shallow yet steady breathing. He was relieved that the healing that Kagome had done had worked to ease the hanyous' suffering.
He was still shocked by what she had been able to do. He hoped come sun down that Inuyasha would be able to hold his own. She had used up nearly all of her own energy and a great deal of his already. If Inuyasha took a down turn with his transformation she would have to pull more energy from him. Though he would give her everything he could, the youkai lord hoped it wouldn't be necessary. She had torn so much from him earlier it had shocked him.
It was only a couple of hours until sunset and he felt an unease growing deep in his gut. He shifted his glance to where his brother and the miko lay. Neither had moved since the hanyou had told the kit to keep watch.
The boy still sat at the edge of the futon with the Tessaiga across his lap. He had held his place all day. Though he was willing to relieve the boy he knew that Shippo wouldn't budge until Inuyasha gave him leave.
The kit had talked himself hoarse trying to tell the miko's friends about their travels. He had been about to stop the boy when he realized that he was telling them a highly edited version of the story. He had needed to repeat himself a lot too. For though the girls appeared to be fairly intelligent, the death of their modern belief that all legends were only stories was hard to take.
Sesshoumaru was thankful that his brother and the miko slept through the entire conversation. With how exhausted and injured they were there was no way they could have handled it.
The three had refused to leave until the pair was awake and they were sure that they were going to be alright. He was surprised at their loyalty and devotion to Kagome. Mrs. Higurashi had told them that they could never tell anyone else about what they had seen and learned. They readily agreed. As they came to grips with some of the hell that Kagome had gone through there was no way they would do anything to cause her any more pain.
Just after lunch they told Mrs. Higurashi that they were sorry about all the times they had told Kagome to get over Inuyasha. They understood that no matter what flaws he had it was obvious that he and Kagome loved each other.
Sesshoumaru's senses snapped to attention as he heard a shift in his brothers breathing. He watched his ears twitch as they caught the sounds in the room. He heard the soft growl that emanated from the hanyou's throat.
His movement was swift as he rose and moved to his brother's side.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~
 
First he picked up small sounds, Kagome's breathing and her heart beat. He felt the heat from her body where she lay along his side. Her hair was silky where it covered his arm. He drew a deep breath and only felt a slight pain from his ribs.
Though the pain was tolerable now he knew he could still be in trouble. His senses were already dulled and he hadn't healed as much as he normally would've.
He next picked up the sound of Shippo shifting at the edge of the futon. Across the room the TV was on but the volume was really low. There were three people on the couch. Mama was in her rocking chair and Souta sat at her feet.
Since he had figured out where Mama and Souta were he knew it had to be Kagome's friends sitting on the couch. Now he just had to find the bastard. He felt a slight disturbance in the air near his head. Had to be Sesshoumaru, the bastard was fast and silent.
When his eyes slid open they met a gaze so different yet so like his own. Amazement filled his own eyes when he saw the concern in his brother's. Never had he thought to see anything but rage in those eyes. Let alone concern. For him.
Inuyasha felt the wall he had built in his heart against Sesshoumaru fall a bit more. He knew that the acceptance he had seen before wasn't a pain conjured dream and he was relieved.
“Sess?” His voice so low the Taiyoukai barely caught the word.
“I'm here little brother.” He moved Inuyasha's head from the pillow to his lap and started a soothing rumble from deep in his chest.
Shippo was the only one that caught the exchange between the brothers until Sesshoumaru's rumble filled the room.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*
Mrs. Higurashi looked up from her mending with a small smile. She knew what the youkai was doing. Inuyasha had done the same for Kagome when she had a bad day at school or a nightmare.
“Is he growling?” Ayumi asked her.
“Not exactly, he's doing it to sooth not threaten. The intent is completely different.” She told the girl. “It's closer to a purr then anything really.”
Ayumi nodded and looked back at the group on the futon. Sesshoumaru leaned over his brother his silver hair hiding them from the rest of the room. It reminded her of a shield for reasons she couldn't explain.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~
 
Sesshoumaru leaned over Inuyasha using his hair to shield him from prying eyes. For he was seeing something that he never thought he would. His brother's tears.
Why do you weep little brother? He brushed Inuyasha's mind with his thoughts.
The hanyou gasp,
S-Sess?
Yes little brother.
How?
You lowered the walls you had built against me.
But still I've never done this before.
Not many youkai can. I inherited it from Father. I took the chance that you had as well. His blood is strong in you, little brother. Much stronger than I thought possible.
Keh, not strong enough. Inuyasha's thoughts were bitter.
Sesshoumaru lifted one slim eyebrow.
What do you mean?
If I was stronger Kagome wouldn't have gotten hurt. I wouldn't be messed up like this. There was a twinge of fear in the words.
Are you afraid little brother?
Keh.
Are you? He pushed.
Yes damn it!
Why?
Because it's the night of the new moon you asshole. My senses are already dulling and what little strength I have left is waning. I've been hurt bad before, hell you've hurt me bad before. But I've never been hurt this badly on this night. Kagome has already done as much for me as she can.
Are you worried about making it through the night?
Yes, I am.
If it is necessary she could draw energy from me again.
Inuyasha looked at him with startled eyes.
You let her pull from you!?
She needed the power to set your ribs and heal your lung. She didn't have enough strength on her own so I gave her mine.
Why?
I have not waited five-hundred years to make amends, for you to die now. There is another thing I could do for you that will help.
What, and why do I have a feeling I won't like this.
You probably won't, he smiled down at Inuyasha. I can give you some of my blood. Even in your human form it would give you enough strength to live until sun rise.
What's the down side?
You could catch random thoughts and emotions from me.
Keh, you don't have emotions.
Very funny. Though something like that could happen it is unlikely and you could learn to block it out if it were to occur.
Inuyasha shut Sesshoumaru out for a few moments while he thought. He could see no real down side to it.
Alright.
Sesshoumaru nodded, he brought his hands up near Inuyasha's face. Using one of his claws he sliced his left arm and held the bleeding wound to his brother's mouth.
It didn't take much for Inuyasha to get enough strength back that he felt he would be alright till sunrise.
When he pulled back Sesshoumaru quickly licked the cut to close it.
Thank you. Sesshoumaru?
I preferred Sess.
Really?
Yes.
Will you take over the watch? Shippo's tired and needs a break.
Yes, and I'll see you in the morning. Get some rest there is much to discuss when you are well.
Inuyasha nodded and lifted his head. Sesshoumaru moved back and put the pillow back under his head. Once he had resumed his place against the wall Inuyasha turned his head toward Shippo.
“Oi runt, come here.” He whispered.
“Yes papa.”
“I want you to put Tessaiga next to me. Ask Souta to show you the bathroom, and get something to eat. Then come curl up with Mama and I.” Shippo's eyes got wide at his words.
“Who will keep watch?”
“Sesshoumaru will. I know that you're tired and I want you to sleep. If you wake up and want to trade off go for it. For right now take care of yourself and get some rest.”
“Alright Papa I will.” Shippo gave him a smile. “Are you going to be alright now?”
“Keh, I'll be fine. Now do what you're told.”
Glad for the more normal response from his Papa, Shippo hurried to do as instructed.
Not long after he was curled sound asleep on Inuyasha's uninjured hip, against Kagome's stomach.