InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Desperation ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Six
 
Inuyasha's slightly labored breathing woke Kagome around midnight. She lifted her head from his shoulder. Taking a quick scan of the room she saw Yuka sitting in a chair nearby looking at Inuyasha.
“Did you need something?” Kagome asked.
Yuka jerked at the sound of her voice, she shook her head.
“He looks so different like this.” She nodded toward him. “Is this one of the reasons you guys were flipping out?” Her voice is quiet and earnest. Kagome sighed.
“Yes, he's weaker like this. Under normal conditions he would be well on his way to being healed. But because of this,” she shook her head. “The threat of him dying was legit.”
“Why does he look like this now?”
“All hanyous have a time when they lose their youkai power. A time when they become no different from a human, this is his time for it. And frankly the timing is horrible.”
“Okay. How long is this going to last?”
“Just till sunrise. Did Eri and Ayumi see him like this as well?”
“No,” Yuka shook her head. “Your mom sent us up to the guest room after dinner to get some rest. We all fell asleep pretty quickly. I woke up about an hour ago and I came down here to get some water. On my way back through is when I saw him. I've been sitting here since then.”
Kagome nodded,
“The first time I saw him like this he got poisoned by a spider youkai.” She touched his hair. “He laid his head in my lap for most of the night.” She blushed slightly. “It was almost dawn when the youkai got into the room we were hiding in. It had a hold of him, I was scared for him, then the sun came up and he was back to normal.” She laid her fingers against his cheek.
“What happened to the youkai?”
“He killed it.”
“He what!?” Her voice rose a bit in shock.
“He killed it.” Kagome repeated.
“You're telling me that he has blood on his hands.”
Kagome's eyebrows drew down in anger.
“Yes Yuka I am,” there was steel in her tone. “For that matter there is on my hands as well. Not a drop of it was innocent if that makes a difference.”
Yuka sat back in the chair at how forceful her friend was. She thought about Kagome's words for a few seconds.
“I think that it makes it easier to understand.”
“I'll explain it later. I want to give him another boost then get some sleep.” She took a deep breath. “Sesshoumaru, would you come over here please?”
Yuka watched as the silver haired youkai rose from his place by the wall like a wraith. With silent steps he glided next to the futon and kneeled down.
“Yes,” his smooth cold voice sent a shiver of apprehension up Yuka's spine.
Kagome looked up at him and smiled. She knew that his mask was firmly in place. Yet she knew that was all it was, a mask.
“Would you mind if I pulled a bit more energy from you. I'm sure that he can make it till morning, I just want him to be more comfortable so he'll sleep better.”
“That is acceptable.” He reached out and took hold of her hand. “I ask that you not tear it from me this time.”
“I won't, I'm not scared, and freaked out this time.”
She placed her other hand palm down against Inuyasha and closed her eyes.
Sesshoumaru felt a gentle pulling as the blue glow started. After a nearly a minute the glow faded and she released his hand.
“Thank you Sesshoumaru.” She laid her head on Inuyasha's shoulder once again.
“You're welcome.”
“Good night,” she said as her eyes slide shut.
“Good night, Kagome.” He whispered as he took his place by the wall once again.
A short time later Yuka shook herself free of her thoughts and went back up the stairs.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~
 
It was mid morning when Inuyasha woke to the smell of breakfast cooking. He could smell pancakes, eggs, and bacon. He could hear the bacon sizzling. It was all enough to make his mouth water and his stomach clenched in hunger.
Taking quick stock of his injuries he realized it was still going to be a couple of days before he was fully mobile. His right shoulder was stiff, right arm was splinted and strapped to his chest, and his left leg was still sore enough he knew he wouldn't be putting much weight on it.
He took a deep breath and was thankful for his healed lung. His ribs were still sore as well. Nothing he couldn't handle though.
He could hear voices and laughter from the kitchen. He heard Souta telling Shippo about school, and Kagome's friends talking to her mom. He couldn't hear the old man but he could smell that he was somewhere in the house. Sesshoumaru had yet to move from his place by the wall.
“Oi, do you ever move?” Inuyasha asked his brother. Sesshoumaru gave a low chuckle.
“Yes, your pup took over the watch for a while at dawn.”
“Keh.”
Sesshoumaru chuckled again.
“Back to normal little brother.”
“Feh,” but he knew better there was something different. He wasn't angry that Sesshoumaru was there. He closed his eyes and thought. Everything from the night before came back in a flood.
Sesshoumaru coming in the house, getting yelled at, and helping Kagome. He remembered the look in his brothers' eyes after he pulled the spike from his shoulder.
He remembered the acceptance in the Taiyoukai's eyes, and the concern he had seen. Sesshoumaru saying he wished to make amends. The mental conversation and his brother giving him his blood.
He carefully moved his arm from underneath Kagome's head, doing his best not to wake her. He struggled to sit up; Sesshoumaru was there with a hand against his back. He nodded in thanks and looked up. Amber eyes met.
“Sess why?” He asked as he dropped his head.
“Why what, little brother,” his voice was low.
“Why don't you hate me anymore?” Inuyasha asked quietly, his ears were pinned back.
“Rin started it.”
“Rin?”
“Yes, she was never afraid of me. She followed me without question. She loved me without reservation. She started to melt the ice around my heart and in my soul.” He shook his head at the memory of her putting flowers in his hair. “She reminded me that there was warmth in the world. She made me see that there was more than power.
“I saw how loyal your friends were. I saw that even though you are brash, foul mouthed, and inclined to rush in head first, you have a deep sense of honor. You never wavered in doing what you thought was right.”
Inuyasha looked at his brother in shock. Sesshoumaru chuckled.
“Do not look so shocked I'm not blind. You saved Rin, allowed her to stay in your village when she wished to visit your miko. There are too many reasons to explain them all.” He took a deep breath. “There is something I must tell you.” His voice had a cold edge to it again.
“What?” He flicked his ears in apprehension.
“I took Rin for a visit shortly after the fight that caused all this.” He waved his hand at Inuyasha's injuries. “After the kit went through the well it closed.”
“What!?” His ears came up and he stared at his brother.
“You nor the miko, or the kit ever returned.”
“What about Naraku, and the rest of the shards? Even though we managed to get most of the jewel from him we didn't kill that bastard.”
“Do not worry. It took a few years but the monk, slayer, and I hunted him down and killed him. There were only two shards left and I know where they both are.”
Inuyasha nodded in relief and looked at Kagome. She was still sound asleep.
“She's going to be heartbroken about the well. Let's wait to tell her for awhile.” He ran his hand over his face.
“I agree. After the stress and expended energy she needs to rest.”
“Papa! You're awake.” Shippo came running across the room.
Inuyasha ruffled Shippo's hair,
“Yeah, do me a favor. Go ask Souta to get me some clothes will ya.”
“Okay,” with a huge smile he turned and bolted for the kitchen.
A few moments later Mrs. Higurashi came bustling into the room followed by Kagome's friends.
“Inuyasha dear how are you feeling?” He gave her a smile.
“Better then when he stuck his hand through my gut.” He gave Sesshoumaru a smirk.
The girls and Kagome's mom all looked at the two of them in shock. Sesshoumaru growled at Inuyasha.
“Be careful little brother. I may not wish to kill you anymore. That does not mean I won't teach you a lesson.” His voice was icy again. He raised one slim eyebrow when Inuyasha laughed at him.
“Come on bastard help me up.” There was a laughing note in his voice.
“You guys are nuts.” Eri said.
Inuyasha looked at her as Sesshoumaru pulled him to his feet.
“We're youkai. Do you expect sanity?” He shrugged.