InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Desperation ❯ Chapter 13

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Thirteen
 
Shippo leapt from Mrs. Higurashi's arms and ran across the courtyard.
“Mama!” He called as he lunched himself at Kagome.
She turned and with a chuckle caught the flying child. Hugging him tightly she looked at her mate and his brother.
“So what do you think about what Father Taishou said?”
“Father Taishou?” Sesshoumaru lifted one slim eyebrow. Kagome shrugged,
“It seemed the proper way to address him, and he didn't object.”
“Grandfather's nice isn't he Mama?” Shippo said with a wide grin.
“Yes sweetheart he is.” She hugged him again. “Let's go talk to Grandma.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~
 
As Kagome walked toward the house Rin followed her, as the brothers watched their mates,
“What are you going to do now little brother?”
Inuyasha rubbed the back of his neck as he thought.
“I have to tell her about the well. She's going to freak about it. You said that you know where the last two shards are?”
“Yes one is in the keeping of a trusted friend the other is with a low level youkai that resides near my home.”
“Why the hell haven't you killed it and taken the shard?” Inuyasha snapped.
“Little brother I have no inclination to search through a foul youkai's flesh to find a tiny bit of jewel. I have imprisoned it so that you and your miko could take the situation in hand.”
“I get that,” he nodded. He turned from his brother and watched Kagome as she spoke to her friends and family. Dreading what he had to tell her he walked toward her just as she darted into the house.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*
 
“Kagome are you okay?”
“Who was that?”
“What exactly is going on?”
Were just some of the questions she was bomb barded with when she reached the group of people standing by the door. She took a deep breath and held up her hand. Once everyone was quiet she explained.
“First, I'm fine. The first guy that showed up was Koga. He's a wolf youkai who wanted me to be `his woman'.” This was said with contempt. “He never would take no for an answer.” She shook her head. “The second man was Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru's father. Or his spirit anyway he had a few things to tell them. As to what is going on, Koga challenged Inuyasha for me. I'm pretty sure that normally a youkai would kill someone who did that. But I asked Inuyasha not to. So I helped run him off instead.
“I hope he never tries again, if he does I won't be able to stop Inuyasha from killing him.” She sighed.
“Do you think he'll try,” Yuka asked. Kagome thought for a few seconds.
“I saw the look in his eyes as I aimed that second arrow at him. It was one of defeat, but more importantly, I saw the one as he looked at Inuyasha. It was pure fear. He had never seen him transformed before. I think he realized he bit off more than he could chew.”
“It's not just that Mama.” Shippo said.
“What is it?”
“Papa's stronger now, strong like Sesshoumaru.” Her eyes widened slightly at his words.
She closed her eyes and opened her senses, when she felt the youkai off the brothers she nearly staggered. Sesshoumaru's had always been that strong, but the raw power she felt off of Inuyasha was staggering. He easily matched his brother if not surpassed him. Her shock melted away as she realized that it would be more difficult for him to get injured now.
“You're right Shippo. I'm sure that Koga felt it too.
“As to what's going on with their father he said he was given permission to see them every ten years. I'm really glad about that. It gives Inuyasha a chance to talk to him a bit.” She set Shippo down. “I'll be right back I'm going to grab Inuyasha's fire rat.” She darted into the house.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
While Kagome was talking Rin slipped over to the side where Sesshoumaru had left the cooler. When she lifted it she knew it was empty. He must have eaten during the confrontation.
Shaking her head she hoped he didn't get a stomach ache. He could eat fast, but four pounds of beef in a few short minutes was pushing it.
She turned and walked to him as he and Inuyasha approached the house.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*
 
“Look Inuyasha,” Kagome said as she exited the house, his fire rat haori in her hand. “It's mended already.”
“How is that possible? When we saw it yesterday it was nearly shredded.” Eri asked.
“It's made from the fur of a fire rat and youkai tailored. It cleans and heals it's self.” Inuyasha said as he took the garment from his mate's hand. “Kagome why are you giving this to me now? You're always after me to wear modern clothes when we're here.” His voice was quiet.
“I want to go back for a few minutes and tell Sango and Miroku that we're okay.”
“We can't go back.” His tone was dejected.
“Why not?” Her voice rose an octave.
“The well is closed miko.” There was compassion in Sesshoumaru's voice. “After your pup went through the three of you never returned.”
A look of utter pain filled shock crossed her face.
“No, Sango, Miroku, and Keade.” She shook her head. They all flinched at the pain in her voice. “No I don't believe it. NO!” She ran toward the well house.
“Damn!” Inuyasha ran after her. “Kagome!” He caught her and turned her toward him. She desperately tried to get away.
“Let me go!”
“No. If you jump in there now you'll get hurt.”
She struggled anyway knowing she couldn't get away from him.
“My sister! My big brother! My Grandma! I'll never see them again!” She screamed.
Inuyasha pulled her against him and she sagged into his chest sobbing. He wrapped his fire rat around her and picked her up. With one arm around her waist, the other under her knees, he leapt unto the lowest branch of the Sacred Tree. Leaning against the trunk he settled her into his lap. Arms around her he stroked her hair as she buried her face in his hair and sobbed brokenly. He started the rumble from deep in his chest hoping to comfort her.