InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Desperation ❯ Chapter 14

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Fourteen
 
Even through their tears at Kagome's grief her friends were shocked when Inuyasha effortlessly leapt into the tree. They sat huddled together against the house realizing that nothing he did should surprise them anymore. Also that Kagome was stronger than they had ever given her credit for.
Contrite over the times they failed in the friendship they quickly came to an agreement. No matter what if she needed them for anything they would be there. They sat back and waited for the couple to come down from the tree.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~
 
With pain for her daughter tightening her throat Mrs. Higurashi waved for Sesshoumaru and Rin to come inside. Once settled in the kitchen she spoke bluntly.
“I want you to take them away from here.”
“What?” His eyebrows rose.
“Do you have a home in the country?”
“Yes.”
“Good I would be grateful if you would take them all away from here, at least for a few days. Being this close to the well will be too hard on Kagome. Also the other girls are going to need a time to adjust to all the things they've learned. It would be best for them to be someplace quiet for that.”
He nodded seeing her logic. He had forgotten how volatile the miko's emotions could be. Though he had expected her to weep he had been shocked by her explosion. Inuyasha had been correct in his observation that she was `going to freak.'
“Yuka, Eri, and Ayumi could only stay a few days anyway. They leave for the university at the end of the week.” She looked at him and waited for him to answer.
Rin laid her hand on his arm.
“Let them come home with us Sess. I have missed Kagome and I wish to help her.” She stared into her mates eyes. “We cannot let her continue to grieve like this when we can do something about it.” Her voice was so low as she said this that only he heard her.
“I shall do as you request.”
“Thank you Sesshoumaru, for all you have done.” Mrs. Higurashi bowed and left the kitchen.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*
 
Little brother.
Yeah, though Kagome's sobs had ceased he still held her tightly, stroked her hair, and rumbled.
How much longer are you going to perch in that tree?
Don't be a bastard Sess, I'm not in the fucking mood for it.
How long?
Why?
We are leaving. Your miko's dam has asked that we take you all away for a few days.
All?
Yes, you, the miko, your pup, and her friends. Her dam thinks that a few quiet days away from here will help her. I agree with her.
Give me an hour.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~
 
An hour and a half later the eight of them were ensconced in the back of a limo. The three girls were talking quietly with Rin, Kagome dozed in Inuyasha's lap, and Shippo dug happily into the bag of goodies his Grandma had sent with him.
Inuyasha leaned his head back against the seat. It had been hard to convince Kagome to leave. She had wanted to try to open the well. Rin had had to talk fast to convince her that it really was closed. That the three of them had never gotten back to the past.
What was the deciding factor had been her mother. She had pushed a cell phone into Kagome's hands and told her that if anything happened she would call. She'd also call to check on her. After a firm hug Mrs. Higurashi had pushed her daughter at Inuyasha and ordered him to get her away. His only response had been,
“Yes Mama.” As he swept Kagome up and headed toward the waiting car.
His eyes slid closed as he thought. It had been a hell of a day. Sess scaring Hojo, the marking, running Koga off, talking to Father, and telling his mate about the well. Suddenly he felt the comforting touch of Sesshoumaru's youki against his own.
Sleep Inuyasha.
Thank you, big brother.
For the first time in his life he slept safe in the knowledge that his brother watched over him.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Over an hour later Kagome awoke to her friends exclamations. Looking out the tinted window she too was shocked. The car was slowly approaching an enormous house. It stood tall surrounded by stunning grounds.
The long car pulled around the house and parked before a large garage. As they all climbed out Jaken ran out of the house.
“My Lord!” The toad youkai called.
“Jaken I have guests.” Jaken trembled at the ice in his Lord's voice. He bowed deeply.
“I would not disturb you My Lord if it wasn't urgent. I have just learned that the youkai you imprisoned have escaped, and are headed this way.” He held his bow.
“Even now they approach the back of the estate.”
Sesshoumaru growled at this news for all of a second.
“You up for a fight little brother.”
“Always,” Inuyasha answered with a wicked grin.
Kagome sighed and took her bow and quiver from the car.
“Are we ever going to get a break?” She looked at Inuyasha. “It's just one damn thing after another. I'm really tired of it.” He pulled her into his arms.
“We can rest once this fight is done. Sess says these are the last of the lower youkai.”
“Really,” there was hope in her voice.
“Yeah, so this one fight and we're done. Unless we find something else to kick around.”
“Okay, do you know how many there are?”
He turned toward his brother,
“Oi Sess how many of the bastards are there?”
“I have never taken an exact count. It is near two-hundred.”
Inuyasha gave that wicked grin again.
“Nothing we can't handle.” He turned back to Kagome when he heard her gasp.
She knelt down and opened her arms. A second later they were wrapped around a small cream colored creature with black markings.
“Kirara,” she whispered and began to cry again.
“Damn,” Inuyasha ran a claw over the neko's head. “Nice to see ya fur ball.”
“Mew.” She started licking Kagome's cheek.
She laughed at the feel of the rough tongue against her skin.
“Kirara I need you to do me a favor.”
“Mew.”
“I need you to watch over my friends, okay.”
“Mew.” With a nod she jumped from Kagome's arms and trotted over to the girls.
“Kagome what's going on?” Yuka asked.
“There's a horde of youkai coming this way. We're going to slay them,” there was a hint of steel in her voice.
“He said there's almost two-hundred of them.” Her voice was laced with fear.
“Don't worry Yuka, we've defeated more. Kirara will protect you.”
“She's only a little cat how can she?”
“Watch, Kirara please.”
“ROAR!” In a flash of fire she transformed.
“AHHH!!” The girls screamed and scrabbled back.
“I think she'll do just fine, don't you?” She looked at her startled friends. “It's okay she won't hurt you.”
They looked up at the horse sized, saber-toothed, flame footed cat from where they sat.
“You're sure she's safe?” Eri asked.
“Of course she's safe,” Shippo scrabbled up Kirara's leg and sat on her shoulders.
Ayumi stood and took a step toward her. She glanced at Kagome who gave her a reassuring nod. With her hand stretched before her she approached Kirara. The neko sniffed it then rubbed her large head against the girl making her laugh.
“She's really soft,” she giggled as she ran her hands through the creamy fur behind Kirara's ears.
Yuka and Eri stood and approached as well. They soon had their hands buried in her fur as well.
Kagome closed her eyes as she got a funny feeling. With a gasp she opened them and turned.
“Inuyasha, there are two shards coming this way!”
“Which way.”
“One from the road, the other is with the youkai.”
“The one coming from the road is with the friends I told you about little brother.” Sesshoumaru said.
“Keh,” he crouched down. “Let's go Kagome.”
“Right,” she nodded and climbed onto his back.
“Up here with me or we'll miss all the fun.” Shippo waved to the girls as Kirara crouched too. With a scramble they were up.
“Hold on tight we have to fly to keep up with Papa. Okay Kirara let's go.”
With a roar she launched herself and her passengers into the air. The girls squealed at the rush as they rose. They soon saw Inuyasha leaping across the estate, Kagome on his back. Seconds later they were passed by Sesshoumaru sword in hand.
“Holy cow are all youkai fast?” Eri asked.
“Most are. I will be when I grow up.” Shippo answered. “Here they come. Kirara keep us where we can watch Papa please?”
“Grrr,” she nodded.
“Oh Kami,” Yuka breathed as she looked passed Inuyasha and saw the youkai hoard.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
“Kagome where's the shard?” Inuyasha asked as he set her down.
“The big lizard in the back has it; it's in the youkai's forehead.”
In a flash of silver Sesshoumaru was past them.
I'll get its head little brother, than we shall clear the rabble.
Keh.
“Sess has gone for its head let's go.” He pulled the Tessaiga and with a yell rushed forward.
Kagome fired to his left, and was shocked. Her arrow was more powerful! With no time to contemplate why she concentrated and kept firing. Inuyasha was a whirlwind as he mowed down the youkai. He reveled in his new found strength and speed.
They had always fought well together, but this was something new. No matter how he moved she always knew where he would be. Without needing to watch him she knew where it was safe to lose her arrows. It was as if she could feel every move he made. Every step, every breath, and every swing of the sword were a part of her too.
He could feel the muscles in her back and shoulders bunch as she pulled the string. Felt as she held her breath concentrating her power. Felt her fingers uncurl as she released the arrow and poured her power into it.
Knowing she was down to her last arrow he disengaged and leapt back to her. His brother stood close by with the lizard youkai's head at his feet.
“Oi Sess, anything that way you don't want destroyed?”
“Destroy to your heart's content little brother.”
Inuyasha laughed.
“Ready Kagome.”
“Yes.” She pulled her last arrow.
Standing shoulder to shoulder they finished them off.
“GO!”
“KAZE NO KIZU!!”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*
 
“Son of a…” Ayumi clapped her hand over Eri's mouth before she could finish the line.
They had watched as Sesshoumaru had skirted the battle field and engaged the huge lizard. They were amazed as Inuyasha and Kagome cut down the forefront of the hoard. But they were completely floored by the shear display of power at the end. The explosion that obliterated the remaining youkai was massive.
“HURRAY!” Shippo cheered. “Mama and Papa are the best. Let's go down now Kirara.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~
 
As Kirara landed Inuyasha grabbed Kagome around the waist and spun her around.
“How was that wench?” He asked playfully.
“It was wonderful.”
“Mama! Papa!” Shippo leapt from Kirara to Inuyasha's shoulder. “That was great. You got'em all.”
“Not all!” Yuka cried as she pointed at the nearby trees.
Everyone turned to see a handful of youkai emerge.
“Feh, I'll take care of them.”
But before Inuyasha could draw the Tessaiga a woman's voice cried,
“HIRAIKOTSU!!”