InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Different Always Means The Same Thing ❯ Outcast ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I apologize profusely for this horribly late update. I really have no excuse. On the upside, we've finally begun to delve into my original plot (I've been waiting since I started this fic to write that last confrontation scene). Enjoy.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha or the X-Men universe.
 
xxxxxx
 
xxxxxx
 
Chapter 9: Outcast
 
By Kenkaya
 
 
“Yeah! It's Sunday!”
 
Kagome flung a tired arm over her face, releasing an irritated groan as she tried (in vain) to block out Souta's heavy footsteps dashing down the hall. Craning her neck, she cracked a bleary eye open at the luminous red numbers on her alarm clock. 7:54 reflected off the surface of unresponsive retinas. She let her eyelid fall shut, muttering obscenities under her breath that would have made even Inuyasha sputter for a decent comeback. Didn't the brat know making this much noise in the morning was detrimental to his health?
 
Socked feet skidded to a halt just outside her door and Kagome immediately began her usual mental chant: she would not kill her brother, Mama might get mad; she would not kill her brother. Silence greeted her ears instead of the expected ruckus. The relieved girl barely had time to sigh when excited banging started on the door directly across from hers.
 
“Inu-no-niichan! It's Sunday! We don't have to go to school today!”
 
Brown eyes shot wide open. With an energy not possible mere seconds ago, Kagome leapt out of bed, scurried across her room, and flung the door open to tell her brother off before Inuyasha woke up and felt the urge to deal more physical damage than she would.
 
“What'd you want, kid?”
 
Kagome stared dumbfound at the scene in front of her. Inuyasha was leaning casually against the doorway, hair slightly sleep-ruffled, and peering down at Souta with an alert, vaguely curious expression. The boy under scrutiny simply gazed up in pure hero-worship awe.
 
“It's Sunday. That means me and neechan get to stay home today. I can help out now!” the child practically oozed glee. Amber eyes blinked twice in response before flicking up to take in the disarrayed girl standing just behind his morning guest. Intrigued over what could possibly divert his idol's attention, Souta bent backwards to peg his older sister with an inquisitive, upside-down look.
 
“Oh, neechan… you're up already? Don't you like to sleep in on Sundays?”
 
Her befuddled state transformed immediately upon hearing his deliberately innocent question. Metaphysical fire exploded. Bare floorboards trembled beneath their feet as the very earth quaked in fear of the flames currently engulfing an enraged entity once known as Kagome Higurashi. Somewhere across the galaxy; far, far away… the massive wave of her ire bounced off a distant newborn star, snuffing out its premature existence with brute force. The universe was now fearfully aware Kagome had been woken up early on a Sunday morning. There would be Hell to pay.
 
“And. just who's fault. Do. You think. That is?” she enunciated sharply. Souta had enough presence of mind to shutter.
 
“Uh… I guess I should have been a little more quiet…? Sorry?” he began to tip-toe backwards, very slowly.
 
“Oh, are you?” a single, jerked footstep fell forward, sounding the knell of his doom. The boy `eep'ed once and bolted desperately back to his room.
 
“It won't happen again! I swear!” he called over retreating shoulders, slamming the bedroom door safely shut behind him. Kagome sighed, anger deflating now that it's subject was out of sight, and turned back to face her remaining audience with a dim expression. Inuyasha had wisely stepped back during the whole ordeal (a tactic gleaned from former experience,) opting to survey disaster from a respectable distance instead. She blinked at the apprehensive figure, arms typically folded and face plastered with his usual neutral scowl.
 
“What are you doing up so earl… early?” Kagome got out between yawns. How someone could look so… awake at this ungodly hour was beyond her comprehension. Inuyasha merely shrugged.
 
“I almost always get up by dawn. The only reason I was asleep the first morning when your brother came in was `cause I'd just been released from that damn spell and had a long night.”
 
“Oh,” the girl nodded before her head shot up suddenly, eyes narrowed dangerously as she lifted a single, accusatory finger. “Hey! You were sleeping the next day when I came up to show you the videos!”
 
“Don't flatter yourself,” he snorted with a cocky grin. “I was just napping. Remember, you guys were making all that noise earlier.”
 
“Well then,” Kagome huffed, unwilling to admit defeat. “If you're such a happy early bird, feel free to stay up and greet the sun. I'm going back to bed!” she turned around and stomped back to her room in an overdramatic fashion.
 
“Feh, pathetic lazy human.”
 
Her foot paused in midair over the threshold. Kagome's entire body cranked through a military-stiff about face, eyes shooting icy daggers toward the smug boy lounging haughtily behind.
 
“What did you call me?” she spoke with the same low tone that had sent Souta cowering earlier. Unfortunately, she now faced a person who not only enjoyed a good argument, but happened to be feeding off her present ire as well.
 
“You heard me,” he scoffed, completely disregarding her fury. “What's the matter, wench? Got nothing to say in the face of truth, do you?”
 
“Oh, I have plenty to say to you, alright!” she fumed. “And… for the last time, what did I say about CALLING ME THAT?”
 
“Smells like your mother's cooking something,” Inuyasha abruptly changed the subject. With mocking grace, he side-stepped the angry teenager and bounded toward the stairwell, throwing back a parting insult for good measure.
 
“Wouldn't be too lazy about going down for breakfast if I were you. There might not be anything left past noon!”
 
Facial muscles twitched in volatile fashion as she watched the tips of his cute pointed ears disappear down the stairs, mouth flapping mutely despite her best efforts. Finally (several long seconds later) almost intelligible sound emerged, somehow managing to form recognizable syllables along the way.
 
“That… that… ARRGAH!”
 
Kagome gave up trying to be articulate and spun around dramatically before realizing (much to her chagrin) that she was far too worked up to fall back asleep. Grumbling once more like a hardened sailor, she trudged after her most recent source of annoyance, figuring the least she could do was satisfy her empty stomach… if nothing else.
 
Freshly cooked bacon and eggs filled the air with a pungent aroma as she descended the stairs, a slight smile managing to break through her rage. Ever since she could remember, Mama had always prepared a large Western style breakfast on Sunday mornings. It was a family tradition held dear and near amidst unpredictable times. Fleetingly, she wondered what Inuyasha would think of it.
 
Just before reaching the last step, Kagome suddenly realized what today also meant. Exactly one week had passed since Inuyasha woke from his enchanted slumber. She shook her head wistfully at the thought. He was foul-mouthed, stubborn, down right rude… and somehow managed to turn her already abnormal life upside-down. Kagome was dead certain she had never met anyone more infuriating nor argued as much with a single person in her entire life.
 
And yet, a tentative hand brushed the now yellow bruise under her left sleeve, he had shown genuine understanding (dare she say kindness?) seemingly at odds with his abrasive nature. Wednesday afternoon alone was proof of that.
 
She remembered how her mother had returned that day to find her home early, sprawled atop pink bed sheets and stashing the ice-pack hurriedly under her pillow. Upon inquiry, she pleaded ill (not even bothering to act through exhaustion) and the worried mother, likewise, didn't bother masking disbelief over such a convenient excuse. Their battle of wills ensued from there, a tactic Kagome utterly despised, but on this subject she remained firmly resolved. It was enough Souta suffered because of her; Mama didn't need the added burden of her teenage angst.
 
Inuyasha, surprisingly enough, had been the one who came to her rescue. His casual comment of, “why's Kagome's scent off?” from the doorway stopped Higurashi's pestering, though the woman hardly seemed satisfied. Kagome herself was touched beyond words. Sure, she had asked him to go along with her story, but for him to actually help cover-up was much more than she expected.
 
Then there was the look he gave after her mother departed. It wasn't exactly overwhelming or emotional, merely a reserved expression that strangely assured she wasn't alone. That he knew. Kagome found herself wondering (not for the first time) just what his life had been like before.
 
She tilted sideways, leaning her uninjured shoulder against the wall as earlier thoughts and speculations returned en masse. Youkai features aside, Inuyasha easily fit the stereotypical, troubled kid archetype. Even Miroku and Sango, at first, pegged him as one of the many teenage mutant runaways now wandering Tokyo's back alleys. Kagome couldn't help ruminating over the implications those comparisons gave, leaving her with a sense of hopelessness. What kind of future could she hope for in a stagnant, prejudice world like this?
 
“Wow! This stuff's great! What's it called?”
 
“That's bacon, dear. Its good isn't it?”
 
Kagome chuckled softly at Inuyasha's loud exclamation from the kitchen. Pushing herself off the wall, she walked toward the sound, repressing all negative thoughts as she usually did to shield her family.
 
“Morning, Mama,” Kagome greeted upon entering. Her attention immediately landed on the supernatural entity, scarfing down unhealthy amounts of food at the table, before quickly turning away to feign disinterest. She wasn't mad anymore, but that didn't mean she'd forgiven him quite yet.
 
“Oh… good morning, sweetheart. You're up early for a Sunday, aren't you?” the woman said, directing a beaming smile toward her daughter.
 
“Yeah… no thanks to Souta and the grouch over there,” the teen grumbled, taking an empty seat. Inuyasha glared over his plate at the word “grouch,” but returned to tearing ravenously through strips of pig meat soon afterwards. He was clearly on a mission. Briefly, Kagome wondered if a carnivorous creature existed on earth that wouldn't bend over backwards for the taste of bacon. Inuyasha proceeded to shove a whole piece into his month. Probably not.
 
“Well, everything's all ready, Kagome… I just need to fry up the eggs. Would you like one or two today?” Higurashi inquired from her place by the stove.
 
“Just one's fine. Scrambled, please.”
 
“Coming right up!”
 
A fragrant sizzle followed her mother's enthusiastic chirp. Kagome propped her elbows on the polished tabletop, gazing almost stupefied as Inuyasha literally licked his plate clean and called eagerly for more.
 
“Just how many helpings have you had anyway?” the girl asked in amazement.
 
“Not sure,” he shrugged casually. “Four, I think.”
 
“Wow,” she whistled. “Talk about a bottomless pit.”
 
“So, what plans have you two made for today?” Higurashi-san chimed in. She set two steaming platters in front of the children before pulling up a third chair for herself.
 
“Mm… I'm not sure,” Kagome answered through a mouthful of eggs. “I guess we could always watch more movies, although Inuyasha's seen most of the ones worth seeing already.”
 
“You call that a plan? That's exactly what I've been doing all week! That, chores, and reading the damn book,” he groused. They both ignored him, continuing their conversation as if the youkai had never interrupted.
 
“Well, I was thinking honey,” the older woman paused as if deliberating her next choice of words. “You officially have the day off… so why not take Inuyasha-kun shopping for some more clothes later?”
 
“I don't know, Mama,” Kagome swallowed before finishing, a slight frown beginning to crease her features. “It might not be such a good idea to take him out yet.”
 
“I am right here, you know!” Inuyasha slammed open palms against the table, finally gaining their attention. He silenced any conceivable outbursts (mainly a threat from the youngest' lips) with furious amber eyes. “I've seen what the world looks like outside. Souta watches the T.V. a lot when I'm around and you,” he nodded to Higurashi, “turn on that news almost every night. I know what to expect… did you think I was just sitting around dumb this whole time?”
 
“No… that's not… I mean,” Kagome balked at his offended tone. Guilt washed over her at the realization of what she'd just done; after all, she knew first-hand what it felt like when others talked around you in third-person.
 
“What's the matter then?” the youkai challenged. “Think I can't handle it?”
 
“No! I don't… well,” her cheeks flushed brilliantly: embarrassment replacing earlier shame. “I guess we could do that… I mean, if you want to?”
 
“Are you kidding!” Inuyasha whooped, something the startled girl had never seen him do. “You've kept me cooped up here all week! I'm just about ready to break down the walls of this damn house!”
 
“Well, I appreciate your restraint, Inuyasha-kun,” Higurashi smiled warmly at her handiwork. She was very proud of her subtle contribution, not to mention the children for getting through a mildly important subject without incident. But, as another petty fight broke out on cue, she realized respite would never last with those two. Inuyasha and Kagome's initial attraction, which was painfully obvious to the wary mother upon first sight, had built up a whole week's worth of pressure; and she knew (from personal experience) that the tension between them would only get worse before it got better.
 
“I'm not wearing any women's clothing and that's final!”
 
“Oh for the love of… a unisex baseball cap hardly qualifies as `women's clothing.' I was just saying it might look a little better than wearing a rag over your head…”
 
Ah, young love, Higurashi held back sigh. Longingly, she remembered her late husband's own awkward courtship, riddled with misunderstandings, tears, and bungled apologies. How many times had she been found seeking solace under Goshimboku after similar arguments during her schoolgirl days? The woman almost giggled giddily, realizing she'd lost count ages ago. My, how time flies.
 
“But you said one of yours! You're a woman and your clothes are women's clothing!”
 
The incessant yelling broke her nostalgic moment.
 
“Inuyasha… would you just take a look at it before you make up your stubborn mind?!”
 
“Well… I suppose that settles that, then,” Higurashi interrupted with a final clap of her hands. “You two should head upstairs and get ready soon. And do you think one of you could check on Souta for me while you're at it? It's strange… usually he's the first one out of bed on Sundays.”
 
xxxxxx
 
xxxxxx
 
“Stay on the sidewalk, Inuyasha!”
 
A disrespectful grumble answered Kagome's warning shout, intended effect ruined as the boy hopped obediently back onto the curb. Right on cue, a candy apple red sports car (going at least twenty miles above speed limit) zoomed down the previously quiet residential street. Inuyasha followed the vehicle with saucer-sized eyes as it performed a sharp, screeching left-hand turn and sped out of sight.
 
“Hey, Kagome! Did you see how fast that thing was going?! And that turn! That maneuverability… and those speeds… the control that's gotta take…” his singular audience began tuning out at this point, fervently thanking whatever God was listening that there were no convenient bystanders to witness the boy's antics. At least he was wearing modern clothes now, and she'd finally gotten him to approve of the old periwinkle baseball cap collecting dust in her closet. Naturally, it had taken nearly half an hour fighting to accomplish that.
 
“That was incredible! How do you get one of those things?”
 
“Like a kid in a candy store… I swear,” the girl muttered, ignoring Inuyasha's subsequent dirty look. She slumped under the pressure of an exaggerated sigh, wondering what part of her brain had the audacity to assume this was a good idea. Apparently, she needed to have it checked for possible damage.
 
“It's not a `thing,' Inuyasha. We call them cars and I wouldn't even think of getting one now if I were you.”
 
“Why? Don't think I could handle that, either?” he challenged, arms folded characteristically over his grey t-shirt. Kagome was fairly certain those adorable ears were twitching furiously behind the rim of his hat too.
 
“It's not like that at all,” she spoke consolingly. “Look, cars are very expensive… and I really don't feel like going into all the technicalities of driving tests and records… or maintenance, so let's just say it's complicated and leave at that.”
 
“Yeah, yeah… whatever,” he said with a disbelieving snort.
 
“See? This is exactly why we argue so much,” she marched up to wag an accusatory finger in his face. He instinctively leaned back at her close proximity. “You take everything I say the wrong way and then, when I try to explain myself, you do it again. I'll get frustrated, we'll both blow up at each other, yadda yadda… so, what do say we skip the routine for once and just keep walking to the store?”
 
“Hey! You started… it,” Inuyasha's comeback sputtered to an ungraceful halt as Kagome breezed pass him, much like he had done to her earlier that morning. She skipped ahead blithely while he stood blinking in confusion at their blatant role reversal.
 
“Well? Are you coming or not?” she teased, drawing out the last syllable on a sing-song note.
 
His precious pride bucked wildly from the blow of her dismissive phrase. The… the nerve of… she didn't even bothered slowing down to deliver that one! Fists clenching compulsively, he stomped forward: determined (as always) to have the last word.
 
“Hey you! Come back and say that to my face!”
 
Kagome giggled, the weight of her pursuer's heavy footsteps considerably lessened by the methodical flip-flop of shoes he had grudgingly adorned before their outing. Now that battle (immediately following the legendary hat debate) had been a real challenge! Nothing out of all their previous fights could have possibly prepared her for the sheer vehemence with which her houseguest protested wearing footwear of any kind. In the end, combined effort of both mother and daughter were needed to finally force Inuyasha into her father's old, lazy slip-ons.
 
Though amusing in hindsight, the whole ordeal had actually been a veritable nightmare. Kagome figured he must have used every synonym under the Japanese sun for `no' during his long tirade. She suppressed a shutter thinking about the Hell it would take to impose sneakers on him. Still, despite his obvious discomfort, she had to admit being thankful for his slowed movement due to them at the moment.
 
“Oi!”
 
The girl had absolutely no intention of stopping; she was having far too much fun delivering his comeuppance. With a playful hair flick, she spared him one more backward glance, and turned onto the next commercial street without a second thought.
 
In days to come, Inuyasha would curse himself for lacking caution right then: for stupidly losing his senses in the wake of petty anger. He had been able to smell growing numbers of people over a block back, alongside a substantial increase in what he learned later was the rank odor of car exhaust. He remembered the rising grind and bustle of city life reverberating through capped ears long before his pursuit began. There had been no excuse. Still, he burst blindly out into the thorough-way, mind stubbornly set on capturing his prey.
 
Television, he soon realized, couldn't have possibly prepared him for this.
 
Inuyasha immediately dug his heels into hard asphalt, receiving rough jostles and more than a few unsavory words for his effort. Warm bodies pressed in from all sides. Everywhere, the stink of sweat, chemicals, and anxiety bombarded him. The heat became almost unbearable as more flesh collided with his carefully guarded person, popping the reclusive youkai's wide bubble of personal space like a tidal wave of needles. Overwhelmed, his pupils dilated to mere slits until seasoned survival instincts kicked in, sweeping the area: looking for a subject, a focus… anything. All he saw were flashing lights and towering glass.
 
Then the sound hit him. A car horn blared loudly to his left, followed by another and another, creating a cacophonous chorus seemingly conjured to torture the senses. The all-compassing grumble of machinery, the crackle of live electricity above, and multiple conversations, fusing together into an indecipherable buzz, drilled a migraine-induced hole through the poor boy's skull. He wanted to lift his hands, block out the offensive noise… but remained stone still instead, warring with his preceding urge to swipe energy-laced claws full-circle. To drive away anyone who dared touch him. Caught between demands, his body refused to move. Inuyasha felt cornered, violated, and (for the first time since childhood) utterly helpless to take any action against it.
 
Find Kagome.
 
The solution, so simply yet telling, jolted his nerves with a much needed adrenaline shock. Head swiveling like a bobble, he scanned the masses, moving from one impassive face to the next with dwindling hope. There were just too many. The youkai's frantic movement slowed before finally ceasing altogether, their features beginning to blur into one another as they moved on in an endless sea of rhythm. He wanted to punch out his frustration against the ground. Population density of this magnitude was almost inconceivable where he came from. Scent, his ultimate pride, was no help amidst this throng of chaos. How could so many people fit on one street?
 
Find me, Kagome.
 
His chin snapped up on impulse, or perhaps a generous twist of fate. He spotted the familiar green shade of her top and, as if summoned, she materialized through the flesh bars of his nightmarish prison. Her brow was furrowed, he noted absently, lips pursed in an expression that (the youkai was too pre-occupied to be surprised) mirrored concern. He blocked out everything but her face: memorizing each worried crease, every sun-tanned freckle, the way both natural and artificial light played off her skin tones…
 
“Inuyasha?”
 
He didn't respond. Gradually, his breath was slowing down, returning to normal as much needed calm trickled into his brain. She frowned. Why was she frowning, he wondered? A tentative hand snaked forward to clasp his roughened one imploringly.
 
“Are you alright, Inuyasha?”
 
“Ye… yes,” he managed to gasp, eyes still boring into her. Inuyasha refused to let her go. If he did, the boy knew without a doubt he would lose himself again.
 
Kagome's scowl deepened. Suddenly, she turned her head and they began to move. Inuyasha recovered quickly from a startled stumble, his focus concentrated on their intertwined hands as she maneuvered him through the overwhelming crowd at a brisk pace. His eyes traced the groves outlining their tangled fingers: marveling at how small and soft hers were compared to his. At how she held his, clawed and calloused, so casually.
 
Like there was nothing awkward or wrong about the gesture.
 
Hours seemed to pass as they threaded through numerous people (though, in actuality, it was probably less than forty seconds) before they finally broke through, the empty side street an unadulterated blessing to Inuyasha's state of mind. The sounds still rang loudly through his ears and the stench had barely faded from this vantage point, but at least here he was free from the mind-numbing crush. Now, more than ever, the displaced youth found himself missing the quiet, open woods of his past.
 
“I… I'm sorry, Inuyasha… that was thoughtless of me.”
 
Kagome's apology startled him out of his revere. Swiftly, she slipped her hand free, taking a nervous step forward with head bowed slightly, dark bangs shadowing any emotion that might have shown. Inuyasha merely stared at her stiff posture, waiting for her to continue, but soon realized in the tense silence she had nothing else to say. He would have to end their stalemate.
 
“What the Hell are you sorry for, wench?”
 
Her jaw tightened visibly at his tactless way of breaking the ice, but the young mutant didn't berate him. Instead, she decided to give an honest answer.
 
“I should have been more careful,” Kagome spoke cautiously, not wanting to offend. “I was afraid something like this might happen and still I… I didn't think.”
 
“Feh!”
 
The indignant snort jogged her reflexes. Kagome's face jerked upwards, exposing Inuyasha to the raw guilt she felt. Still, he held his ground, determined that she (of all people) would have no further cause to pity him.
 
“I don't know what you're yapping about, woman. I can handle myself fine… just `cause I was a little surprised don't let that fool you,” he stomped forward, bending down until they were practically nose to nose. Kagome leaned back with a light flush. Inuyasha, amidst his pride-fueled tirade, seemed unaffected.
 
“Besides, I'm the one who wanted to go out today. I ran out there of my own free will. There's nothing for you to be sorry for. Stop whining and see sense!”
 
A brief flash of anger coursed through her before the under-current of his harsh words finally hit home. The barest hint of a smile teased her lips at his completely hopeless attempt at consolation. She nodded curtly.
 
“Yeah… Is that so? Well then, what are we waiting for? I'm sure there's a store somewhere up this way,” and, on that note, she continued onwards.
 
Inuyasha's only response was to `feh' softly as he followed her (sulking) across the street.
 
xxxxxx
 
xxxxxx
 
Shopping with Inuyasha proved, amazingly enough, to be rather uneventful in comparison.
 
“This one.”
 
Kagome blinked blandly at whatever article had just been shoved millimeters from her nose. Uneventful, yes; a frustrating ordeal due to the demonic boy's blatant lack of manners… that was another story entirely.
 
“Well?” he waved the object impatiently, nearly smacking her forehead with it in the process.
 
She sighed wearily, taking a significant stride back as, what turned out to be a black and red baseball cap, flapped expectantly. Kagome gave it a customary once over before nodding her approval.
 
“That's fine, Inuyasha. Just throw it in the cart with the rest.”
 
He did so without even uttering a grudging word of thanks. She shook her head, use to his dismissive behavior by now and figuring her loud opinions were best reserved for… less public places. The store may have been relatively empty, but causing a scene still didn't seem like a very good idea. Especially since the security guard was already eyeing Inuyasha's outlandish appearance warily.
 
They spun around the next aisle (Inuyasha grumbling for the umpteenth time how slippery “these gods-be-damned shoes” were against linoleum,) and Kagome couldn't help feeling relieved over temporarily being out of the uniformed man's sight. She was far from ashamed of herself, or Inuyasha for that matter, but she'd take hiding behind rows of shoeboxes over dealing with suspicious anti-mutant sentiment any day.
 
Though, truth be told, Kagome dreaded being kicked out more than facing any obvious, discriminatory views. They were lucky enough to have found this store in the first place, and she didn't fancy wandering around nearly twenty minutes (again), avoiding every major thorough-way like the plague until they managed to stumble across another discount store in a small strip mall off the beaten track. The poor girl wasn't sure her sanity could take that abuse.
 
“Gyak! More of these damn things!”
 
Kagome suppressed an amused giggle at the boy's reaction upon opening one of the stacked shoeboxes for further examination. He may be rude, she thought wryly, but at least you could count on him to always speak his mind.
 
“You do realize you're going to need at least one pair, don't you, Inuyasha?” she hinted not-so-subtly. “Most stores won't let you inside without them, and besides… pavement isn't exactly kind to bare feet. Mark my words, once summer really kicks in you'll be begging for footwear of any kind.”
 
“Doubt it,” he snorted back. “I've done just find without `em til now, haven't I?! You humans really have the stupidest notions. Shoes,” the exclamation was followed by a demeaning headshake. “All they do is add dead weight to your feet and make you clumsy! No wonder humans can barely walk straight or run properly! Regular pain in the ass if you ask me.”
 
“Good thing I wasn't asking, then, isn't it?”
 
“You as good as did! Claiming things like that… I'll never ever beg for shoes. Why don't you mark those words while you're at it.”
 
“Yeah, sure… whatever,” Kagome muttered flippantly as she walked onward, sneaking a pair of black, open-toed loafers in with their growing pile of items. Inuyasha wasn't blind to her incriminating act, but decided, for the moment, to keep his peace on the subject. Let her buy them; the minx could wear them herself after he taught her nobody, nobody (here his memory opted to be purposely selective) forced Inuyasha to do anything he didn't want to.
 
“Let's see… do we need anything else? Shoes, hat, sunglasses, underwear,” she blushed a bit but continued her list without missing a beat. “A couple bandanas, pair of jeans, sweatpants, t-shirts,” all red, she added with a mental eye roll. He had picked them out himself and, she couldn't help wondering, if it was his favorite color or if the time traveler was merely clinging to some sort of familiarity. His feudal outfit was red too, after all.
 
“What are we still here for, woman? Are you gonna buy the whole store?”
 
“Nope! That should just about do it!” Kagome chirped as she ducked hurriedly into an available checkout line. She'd caught the security guard approaching from the corner of her eye and figured they had finally overstayed their welcome. Inuyasha followed dutifully behind.
 
“I don't like the way that guy's been lookin' at us,” he muttered for her ears only. She cocked her head slightly, displaying a small, sardonic smile.
 
“You and me both,” she whispered back.
 
A bored-looking teenager greeted Kagome in a scripted manner as they walked up to the register. He seemed cordial enough (through the apathy) until his gaze fell on Inuyasha. Even with his ears hidden, the youkai features still visible stuck out like a sore thumb. The skinny boy behind the counter glared hatefully before grabbing the nearest object roughly and sliding it across the scanner. Kagome scowled openly before coming to a quick decision.
 
“Inuyasha, why don't you go wait outside? This won't take long,” she hissed through grinding teeth. The boy in question turned to face her, an indignant retort ready on his lips, but his intent died with one look at her dark expression. Despite outward appearances, Inuyasha wasn't always dense, and he was well aware of the cashier's reaction to his presence. What was the harm, he reasoned guiltily, in humoring her just a bit?
 
“Fine, all the nasty smells and dust in here are about to make me gag, anyway,” that didn't mean he had to act nice about it, though.
 
“I'll meet up with you in a minute,” she smiled weakly as he departed. The petulant youkai allowed himself the decency of a backwards parting gesture in return.
 
Once outside, Inuyasha leaned against an available wall with folded arms, his patented “piss off” look scaring away any bystanders who might have been foolish enough to approach him (that annoying security guard among them.) His anger wasn't completely unprovoked, however. Through the glass door he could hear Kagome's voice, yelling heatedly, her exact words lost between the muffling effect of his hat and the continuous rumble of cars on the street. The content hardly mattered, anyway. Her raised tone was enough to force a snarl from him.
 
Really, what kind of a weakling did she take him for? The world never showed him mercy in the past and he took pride in his ability to survive against-the-odds. She seemed to have understood that much. So why did the girl sent him away like a child to be defended out of earshot? A volatile growl began to vibrate through his chest, bouncing off the diaphragm. As if his ego hadn't received enough bruising since he woke.
 
The growl died abruptly when the voices stopped. Kagome appeared moments later, laden with two large, full-to-bursting bags. Her expression was calm, he noted, though still flushed cheeks drastically undermined the effect.
 
“Well?” she stopped barely a foot away, cocking her head to peer expectedly at his up-turned face. He glared back in kind.
 
“What?” the irritable boy finally snapped after several seconds' silence. Her open stare was beginning to unnerve him.
 
“Well what? Aren't you going to offer?” she shook her cargo lightly for emphasis. Inuyasha's only response to the teenager's innocuous request was an upturned nose.
 
“Why would I carry your bags?” he scoffed, refusing (in his mind's-eye) to take any more orders. “You're the one who bought all of it. I didn't ask for nothing!”
 
“Right… of course you didn't,” she deadpanned. “Oh well, if you're going to be that way about it,” Kagome let the sentence trail ominously before tossing the contents against his chest and quickly skipping ahead. Inuyasha caught the bundle reflexively.
 
“Hey!” he said. “That was a cheap shot!”
 
“All's fair,” she shouted back in singsong. The girl paused abruptly as something across the parking lot caught her eye. “Actually hold that thought… I'll be right back.”
 
“Like I have a choice.”
 
Inuyasha watched as she ran inside a small shop smelling strongly of food and several chemicals he witnessed Higurashi-san using to clean the house. Leaning back against his former place on the wall, he frowned, some of the old anger rousing as he found himself back in a depressingly identical predicament. He hated it: how dependent he'd become on her. Their outing was supposed to be a sign of progress for him, a sign the multiply headaches he'd suffered over the last week had been worth something. Not the embarrassment of actually freezing in fear or the reality of being repeatedly shunted aside. This trip had definitely proved to proud youkai how helpless he was without her guidance.
 
“Want one?”
 
He blinked at the strange white bun suddenly being held in front of him. A tentative sniff informed him the concoction was stuffed with some type of meat (pork, another whiff confirmed) and a couple root vegetables he found himself hard-put to name. His gaze traveled from the offered treat, up a thin arm to the question's source. Kagome had returned while he was lost in thought apparently.
 
“If I did, someone already made sure my hands weren't free to take it,” Inuyasha replied sarcastically, jiggling the bags in mockery of her earlier gesture. He'd barely finished teasing when the handle in his right hand disappeared, only to be replaced seconds later by one of those weird buns wrapped in a small square of translucent wax paper.
 
“All you had to do was ask,” the girl smiled innocently as she took a hearty bite from her own treat. Seeing that she had actually managed to strike her companion dumb, Kagome's smile morphed into an impish grin. She walked ahead, swinging her bag triumphantly.
 
Inuyasha could only shake his head in wonder at her antics. He moved to follow quickly, nibbling absently on the bun (good, he concluded, though a bit spicy for his taste) and pondered the eccentric female bouncing ahead of him.
 
She was, by far, the most capricious creature he'd ever had the displeasure to meet. The way she shifted from anger to happiness, to sadness and back again, still left him in awe. His own emotions had become a veritable roller coaster under her influence as well. Hadn't he been seething in anger just moments ago? Stuffing the last morsel into his mouth, he chewed thoughtfully as another (more sobering) thought occurred to him.
 
The last time Inuyasha could remember being so emotionally unstable was during childhood; before permanently donning the mask of self-defensive anger that had pushed away his human tormentors, and shielded him since. He had carved out his place by force, and though the loneliness was painful, his younger self took comfort in the delusion that nothing else could hurt him. Even now, he found himself subconsciously believing the lie.
 
But, he realized, watching the girl's back, Kagome didn't use rage. She smiled instead: an expression meant to distract from the cause, but which only looked fake the longer he stared at it. She protected herself and those around her by pretending everything was all right. The foundation was different, but the wall was the same.
 
“Oi!” the youkai called out, jogging a few steps to catch up. Kagome acknowledged him curiously as he fell into place beside her.
 
“Does,” Inuyasha hesitated a moment before plowing on resolutely. “Look, I know what happened in there… don't try to deny it. And you know damn well I didn't need any of it. I can cover my own back, you just stick with watching yours.”
 
“Whatever you say, Inuyasha,” she shrugged indifferently before breaking out in giggles, muttering something under her breath. Inuyasha couldn't understand exactly what she said, but he definitely heard the phrase, “silly male-pride,” somewhere amidst the gibberish.
 
“I don't see what's so funny,” he snipped.
 
“It wouldn't be as funny if you did,” Kagome said, smiling indulgently when her companion made a face. “But you're right, I knew you didn't need my help in there. I did it anyway because I wanted to. Because you're my friend… and friends stick up for each other.”
 
“Who said we were friends?”
 
Inuyasha regretted the words the instant they left his mouth. Her entire façade crumbled: allowing him brief insight into how much hurt his callous comment caused, before reinstating itself with disturbing ease. She turned away, not even bothering to grace him with a customary look as she spoke.
 
“I didn't know it had to be said.”
 
The rest of the walk home was made in uncomfortable silence. Kagome fought tears by telling herself the youkai a couple steps behind didn't matter. Like the bullies at school, like the ordinary people who stared shamelessly, he could only hurt her if she let him. She pulled through just fine after betrayal by friends she had trusted for years. Compared to that, why should the spiteful words of a jerk she'd barely known a week faze her at all?
 
Inuyasha spent their traveling time staring holes between the girl's shoulder blades and thinking up various excuses (besides the obvious) for the faint salty scent he detected. He felt extremely guilty, but was far too proud to do anything about it. Instead, he sulked silently, trailing dutifully behind until she stopped at the shrine stairs.
 
“What?” he asked gruffly. At this point, Inuyasha would have done almost anything to break the tension: even start a fight.
 
“Could you… could you please just jump through my bedroom window and wait for me in there?” Kagome sighed at the puzzled (and slightly indignant) expression on his face. “Mama said she was bringing my grandfather home today and… well… I've told you about him, right?”
 
She had. Inuyasha nodded mechanically before leaving to follow her instructions. Kagome felt relief wash over her when he did so without complaint, completely unaware that, in his own roundabout way, the youkai was apologizing for earlier.
 
“I'm home!” she called, clicking the door shut behind her. She raised concerned eyebrows at the hurried movement and raised voices coming from the living room, but thought nothing of it until her grandfather shuffled into the front hall. His face was livid.
 
“You!” he shouted, spittle flying from his mouth. “There you are!”
 
“Dad! Wait!” a frazzled Higurashi rushed into view just as her confused daughter began to speak.
 
“Jiichan, what…”
 
“Trickster!” he screeched, completely running over her question. “Liar! Charlatan! What have you done to my granddaughter?”
 
“Jiichan,” Kagome hedged, making placating movements as she stepped back. She was beginning to feel the first inklings of nervous fear. The old man had never acted this way toward her before.
 
“Dad! That's enough!” Higurashi yelled, grabbing his shoulder. “Now, Kagome sweetie, I know you haven't had a chance to get any studying done today… so why don't you head upstairs to your room while your grandfather and I discuss this matter like civilized adults.”
 
“You… You're siding with the fake?” he asked incredulously. “That… thing is not Kagome! You're her mother! You should be outraged!”
 
“I am trying to be patient with you,” Higurashi said sternly. “I have and will continue to tolerate your old superstitions… but let me make one thing clear, Father, I will not let you speak about my daughter that way again!”
 
Kagome watched the mysterious interplay when, like an annoyingly elusive puzzle piece, the truth clicked. She gasped as the rest fell into place systematically, revealing a horrible picture that she hadn't even been aware (until this moment) was evading her.
 
“I just came to tell you Mama said Jiichan wasn't feeling so good this morning so she had to drive him to the hospital…”
 
“If only he didn't spill… especially with Mariko-basan in the room…”
 
“Mariko-basan is a nurse at the hospital. Poor Kagome…”
 
“Kagome-chan… that reminds me, about your grandfather…”
 
The last thing Kagome remembered was a random image of her grandfather when she was younger; he smiled warmly at her, arms open wide for his beloved granddaughter to jump into. Laughter entered the faded memory as her seven-year-old self tackled him mercilessly.
 
And, as she met his hateful eyes, Kagome realized she would never see that smile again.
 
xxxxxx
 
xxxxxx
 
TBC…