InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Displaced ❯ Indigo Moon ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
When Kagome finally opened her eyes, she found herself looking up into the heavens. Her vision was blurred, and the stars dotting the sky ran together in fuzzy lines. With a groan, she looked to her left and found a pair of demon’s eyes looking back at her.

“Inuyasha…?” she asked groggily.

She was answered by a low growl, and Kagome squinted against the darkness. She quickly realized that the handsome face staring back at her was not Inuyasha’s. His hair and eyes were of the same hues as her hanyou, but an indigo moon graced the forehead of her savior. Kagome sat up with a gasp, drawing her knees to her chest.

“Sesshoumaru!” she yelled in surprise.

The demon Lord looked down on her with a scrutinizing gaze. “Miko,” he acknowledged her.

“Thank you for saving me,” she said, and tried to get to her feet. Her knees wobbled and betrayed her, letting her fall back to the ground. She was not surprised that Sesshoumaru made no move to help her. However, she was surprised to find that her fall had turned her at an angle to see her useless bow and quiver of arrows neatly laid on the ground nearby.

“I only wished to destroy Naraku’s spawn. Saving you was only a consequence of that wish,” Sesshoumaru said.

Kagome’s eyebrow disappeared into her hair. He claimed to have had no intentions of helping her and yet he had taken the time to carry her out of the cave, never mind her broken weapon. She took her bow in hand and ran her fingers sadly down the broken line of string.

“You killed Hakudoushi?” she asked him.

“He unfortunately escaped me,” he said, “I suppose he is the reason you are now separated from my half-brother.”

“Yeah,” she said, and took the time to examine her surroundings. Even in the waning cover of darkness she could tell that it was unfamiliar land. Her friends could be hundreds of miles away, and she only had one resource for getting back to them. She found that resource disappearing into the trees when she turned back to him. “Hey, wait! Don’t leave me, I don’t even know where the heck I am!”

Grabbing her bow and quiver, Kagome willed her legs to obey to her. She sprang up and ran after Sesshoumaru. He turned around very quickly, and under the weight of his scowl she crumpled to the ground again. He said nothing, only turned and continued walking. Getting to her feet again, Kagome followed him at a distance. She half expected him to turn around and in his smooth yet stern way tell her to get lost. He did no such thing, and after a solid hour or so of walking, Kagome dared to get closer to him. It was only after another long period of walking that she risked talking to him again.

“Will you take me back to Inuyasha?” she asked.

“My half-brother has an irritating habit of crossing my path,” he said. Kagome took it as a yes, though she thought it might have been the most indirect way of saying yes she had ever heard.

She said no more. She followed him well into the night, until the muscles in her legs screamed for rest and her eyelids hung heavy with sleep. She gave a wide yawn and stretched her arms, and when she opened her eyes she found that Sesshoumaru was no longer in front of her. Her eyes went wide in panic. She should have expected this from him. He led her out in the middle of the forest and left her as food for hungry youkai. How could she have been so stupid? He had once tried to kill her, and she expected him to help her. What a stupid thing---

An annoyed grumble stirred her out of her thoughts. She turned around to see Sesshoumaru sitting against a large tree. His eyes glowed strangely in the gloom. Kagome only hoped he couldn’t see her blush. She laid down near a fallen log, using her folded hands as a pillow. She tucked her quiver and bow neatly against her stomach.

“Thank you,” she said, and the glow of Sesshoumaru’s eyes disappeared for a moment as he blinked and looked away.