InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Displaced ❯ Green Demon ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
When Kagome awoke the sun was already high in the sky. Usually Inuyasha would rouse them just before sunrise to start on their endless journey, and she couldn’t remember the last time she had slept until so late in the day. She sat up and stretched her arms, giving a wide yawn. She smiled at Sesshoumaru, who was still sitting against his tree. It looked like he hadn’t moved from the spot all night.

“Good morning, Sesshoumaru,” she said cheerfully. The demon scoffed at her and got slowly to his feet.

Kagome went to gather up her belongings, but when she looked at her side she found only her quiver. Afraid she had rolled over on it during the night, she quickly got up but found nothing. She scoured the ground for it, even crawled part of the way into the fallen log, but there was no sign of it.

“Looking for something, miko?” Sesshoumaru asked.

“My bow! I can’t find it!” she yelled, frantic. “Did you see it?”

Sesshoumaru said nothing, but Kagome followed his eyes as he looked at something off to his side. She had looked straight at her bow before, yet she hadn’t seen it. It was hanging by its string from a branch on the tree Sesshoumaru had been sitting under. She ran over and unhooked it, running her fingers over the newly replaced string. She turned to Sesshoumaru with wide eyes.

“You restrung my bow,” she said in amazement.

“I will not have a helpless damsel trailing behind me,” he said, and before she could thank him he started walking away.

“Hey, wait up!” Kagome called, crashing through the brush after him.

She was not used to traveling in silence. When she was with her friends there was never a shortage of conversation, but now there was only the sound of her feet crunching through the underbrush. Sesshoumaru’s treads were strangely quiet, and Kagome found herself actually trying to be noisy in order to compensate. He kept shooting her annoyed glances over his shoulder, but the silence somehow made her feel out of place, and she tried her best to ignore him. She considered trying to start a conversation with Sesshoumaru, but quickly nixed the idea. She would just wind up talking to herself or be told to silence herself.

She was glad when she heard voices off in the distance.

“Does Master Jaken want to play a game with Rin?” Kagome heard the delicate voice of the human child that always followed Sesshoumaru around.

“I will not be reduced to playing pointless games with a foolish human,” came the reply, followed by a slew of girlish giggles. “What are you doing? Stop that!”

Kagome followed Sesshoumaru into a clearing to find Rin skipping circles around Jaken. A two-headed dragon was laying down near them, one sleepy eye watching them carefully.

“Lord Sesshoumaru!” Rin said joyfully, running over to stand before him.

“My Lord!” the little green demon yelled, throwing himself at Sesshoumaru’s feet. It wasn‘t until he lifted his head from the dirt that he realized Kagome was standing there as well. “Isn’t that Inuyasha’s wench behind you?”

Rin gasped and got on her toes to peer around Sesshoumaru. “Lady Kagome!” she said, running up to Kagome and taking her hand. “Are you joining us?”

“Of course she isn’t joining us, you idiot girl,” Jaken said scathingly, “Lord Sesshoumaru would never allow any of his filthy half-breed brother’s friends to associate themselves with him! Especially not this wench! Why, she’s--”

“Jaken,” Lord Sesshoumaru said listlessly, and the little youkai squealed as his master’s boot came down hard on the top of his head.

“Lady Kagome, why aren’t you with your friends?” Rin asked.

“Well-” she began, then noticed Sesshoumaru had started walking again. “Come on Rin, I’ll tell you as we walk.”

“Okay!” Rin said, skipping after her Lord and tugging Kagome along with her. “Come on, Master Jaken!”

Rin grabbed the dragon’s reins as they passed him, and the massive beast got to his feet and followed alongside them. Jaken scurried past them to walk at Sesshoumaru’s side, and Kagome strained to hear what the imp was saying to his master as she talked to Rin.

“Lord Sesshoumaru, surely you cannot mean to keep that insufferable girl under your protection,” she heard Jaken say.

“You question my judgment?” Sesshoumaru’s voice was unusually low and rough. He was obviously annoyed, and Kagome was amazed that she could read any emotion from him.

“No, My Lord. It just seems very foolish of you--” Jaken said, but he did not get to finish. He was knocked off his feet and sent sailing into a tree.