InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Displaced ❯ Orange Kimono ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
In traveling with Sesshoumaru, Kagome became used to much shorter days. They would start their day well after the sun had risen, and would continue on until just before the light began to disappear from the sky. Nonetheless, she had the feeling that she was covering more ground in a single day than she ever had traveling with Inuyasha. It probably had something to do with the distinct lack of bickering, and the roads less traveled that Sesshoumaru was leading them down. Kagome hadn’t seen another human besides Rin in days, much less a whole village. Of course, one look at Sesshoumaru would dissuade any villager from asking for their help anyway.

Sesshoumaru let them know it was time to make camp for the night simply by sitting himself down next to a tree. Ah-Un plopped down indiscriminately even before Rin let go of his reins. Jaken leaned himself up against the dragon’s scaly haunch and gave a yawn.

“Rin,” Sesshoumaru said, and the little girl scampered over to him. As Kagome placed her weapons against a tree she heard Rin give a girlish squeal, and before she knew it she was being dragged off into the trees.

“Rin, wha-?” Kagome asked confusedly.

“Come on, Lady Kagome! This way!” Rin said enthusiastically, but a single grumble from Sesshoumaru calmed her down.

“Miko,” Sesshoumaru said, and Kagome turned to look in his impassive face. “An archer should never be without their weapons.”

“Oh,” Kagome said lamely, and went to collect her bow and arrows before allowing Rin to drag her off again.

“Where are we going, Rin?” she asked.

“You’ll see!” the girl said, and they continued to trek through the brush in silence.

Kagome was a little worried that Rin had no idea as to where she was going. She followed the child blindly for awhile longer and was just about to ask again where they were headed when she noticed a distinct change in the air. It became humid and she was greeted by a very familiar and pleasant heat. Her spirits lifted a bit, and she was unspeakably happy when Rin pulled back a few tree branches to reveal a hot spring.

“Lord Sesshoumaru said it would be here,” Rin said smugly, and ran giggling toward the water. Kagome laughed as she shrugged out of her orange checkered kimono and splashed into the water.

“He said it would be here?” Kagome asked herself. She suddenly found herself wondering if it was coincidence that they had camped so close to a hot spring, or if Sesshoumaru had chosen it intentionally. The only thing she did know was that she had not had a bath in a long while, and her sore muscles could use the hot water. Coincidence or not, she was suddenly grateful.

Kagome laid her weapons on top of her clothes and stepped into the water. Rin had thrown her kimono very close to the water’s edge, and the cloth was already soaked at the hem. Kagome folded it neatly and hung it over a tree branch before wading into the water.

Rin was in up to her eyeballs, blowing bubbles in the water. Kagome laughed and splashed at Rin, who gladly splashed back.

“Rin?” Kagome asked after awhile.

“Yes, Lady Kagome?”

“Please, Rin. Just call me Kagome, okay?”

“Okay, La-” Rin began, but managed to catch her mistake. “I mean Kagome.”

“Why do you follow Lord Sesshoumaru?” Kagome asked, although in theory it might have been more informative to ask Sesshoumaru why he kept Rin around, but she didn’t quite feel like being beheaded for being inquisitive. Rin provided a much less dangerous piece of insight.

Rin looked at Kagome with wide eyes and a crooked smile, as if it were a very strange question she was being asked. And to innocent little Rin, Kagome knew that it just might have been. “Lord Sesshoumaru is always very nice to Rin.”

And with that little response, Kagome realized that Rin had never seen the true nature of Sesshoumaru. She may have seen him in a small scuffle or two, but she had never seen him locked in combat with his brother, had never witnessed the deadly accuracy with which he struck or felt his powerful battle aura. Each time Sesshoumaru jumped into their frays with Naraku, Rin was always curiously absent, and Kagome knew now that it was no coincidence. Sesshoumaru was keeping the girl out of harms way, and maybe he was also keeping her from seeing the more savage side of him. To her, he was a silent protector. Perhaps even a father. It felt strange to realize that there may have been more to the cold demon Lord than she had thought. Kagome shivered, and it had nothing to do with the cold night air.

“Kagome?”

“Oh, I’m sorry Rin. I was just thinking about something,” she said, and waded to the edge of the water. “Come on, Rin. Your kimono should be dry by now.”

They made their way out of the water and dressed. Kagome kept her bow close as the light faded and they trekked back to camp.