InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dog and Dragon ❯ Home Again ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Inu no Taisho let his blood-stained armor fall to the floor, creating a loud clatter in the empty hall. He was winded and wounded, and there would be many more nights like this to come. There was unrest in the West, and neither he nor his allies in the East would rest until matters were settled. He and Ryuukotsusei had many more battles ahead of them, but for now he was home again.

There was the sound of padding feet, young feet trying their best to keep in the shadows. He caught sight of a striped ankle and smiled.

“Is someone sneaking up on me?” he asked the darkness.

His little son stepped out before him, hands clasped behind his back. “Father…”

The boy’s eyes were wide, his voice subdued. He was young still and had never seen battle, had never seen his father soaked in enemy’s blood.

“Do not fear me, son,” the Dog Lord said. He got to his knees and held out his arms. Sesshoumaru ran into his father’s embrace, burying his face in his father’s neck.

“Are you going to die?”

The Dog Lord laughed and ran his claws through his son’s hair. “No, son. It’d take a lot more to kill this dog. Don’t worry about me.”

“I wish I could help you fight,” Sesshoumaru said, and the Inu no Taisho felt a swell of pride in his chest. He was his father’s son indeed.

“Someday you will,” he said.

He stood with Sesshoumaru in his arms. Looking over the boy’s shoulder he saw his Lady standing at the end of the hall. He read her eyes very clearly.

She knew one day it would be her son drenched in youkai blood. Someday that sweet child of theirs would no longer be a child.