InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dog and Dragon ❯ The Western Shiro ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
For years Ryuukotsusei couldn't understand why his Dog friend lamented being away from home.

Home was nothing more than incompetent servants and empty hallways. It was courtiers who would hang on his every word, then whisper rumors and denounce him when his back was turned. It was the old home of a deceased mother and murdered father. The Eastern Shiro was barren, and he did not feel at home there at all.

His home was in the battlefield, with his generals and his trusted friend.

That was why Ryuukotsusei instead accepted the offer to stay at the Western Shiro during their short leave from the battlefront.

At the Western Shiro he found a son eager to impress his father with his growing skills. He found a wife that longed for her husband's presence.

Ryuukotsusei kept his distance as Touga took his wife's hand, giving it a gentle kiss. The way their eyes met, their fingers remaining linked even as Touga turned to address his young son…

Theirs had been an arranged marriage, yet still there was a love between them. Time hadn't dulled their feelings for each other.

Ryuukotsusei didn't even attempt to convince himself that he wasn't slightly envious.