InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dog and Dragon ❯ Longing ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
She was hesitant to approach him, although she had no doubt he already knew she was watching him. Ryuukotsusei stood on the front steps of The Western Shiro, his hands folded behind his back and his eyes turned upwards towards the darkened heavens.

He could be a difficult demon to converse with. She understood his demeanor, as it was not so dissimilar to her own. Like her, he could be quite reserved, a tad aloof to those around him. Unlike her, there was a severity in his silences. The Lady of the West was no stranger to laughter, and she cared not who saw her occasional smiles. In all the years she had known him, she had never seen Ryuukotsusei change his stony visage. Even when he poked fun at her husband, his face always remained stoically set. He was an extremely guarded man.

She made her way down the steps to stand just behind him. "Do you long for the East, Lord Ryuukotsusei?" she asked.

He uttered a strange noise, a half growl and half sigh. It was uncharacteristically emotive of him.

"Hardly," he said.

"Than what is it that keeps you awake?"

She did not expect him to answer at all, much less turn around to face her. His luminescent red eyes cast his face in an ugly light, making him look strangely thin and hollow.

"Trivial things I will not concern you with," he said, and turned his back on her again.

"Very well," she said, "Good night, Lord Ryuukotsusei."

He listened to her soft treads as she retreated back up the stairs. He turned around just in time to see her disappear into the doorway. He lifted his eyes back towards the heavens, up over the pointed eves of the Shiro where the moon hung in an elegant crescent, just as it did upon the Lady's brow. His fisted claws drew blood from his palms as he battled the restless thoughts that kept him awake.