InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Don't Tell A Soul ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~Yes, another Inu Yasha fanfic. I apologize. I just have way too many ideas! Here's the summary:

Summary: A maid in the Mononoke manor is very dear to them all. When she becomes unable to work, she sends her daughter to fill in until she may return. The whole manor is turned upside down when they find out the girl is not exactly their biggest fan. What's going to happen to them all?

Disclaimer: I'm only saying this once… I DO NOT OWN INU YASHA, only my story and any original characters I make up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

Chapter One

A small golden color ball rolled down the massive hallway towards a woman with short brown hair and a kind smile. Slowly, she reached down and picked up the ball, waiting for the owner to run towards her as always. Sure enough, a small ten year old boy with long silver hair came running with arms stretched out. "Sachi-san!"

The woman smiled as the little bundle of energy ran straight at her, hugging her legs. She laughed. "I think you dropped something, Inu Yasha. You better hang onto this." The smile still on her face, Sachi gave the boy his ball.

"Arigatou, Sachi-san. Can you play with me now?" The amber eyed boy gave her his best puppy dog face, including the quivering lip.

The maid laughed. "Gomen, Inu Yasha. I have to get home early today. I have young ones of my own you know. I even have a little girl a year younger than you."

"A girl? Yuck!"

A chuckled escaped her lips. "She's not that bad. Trust me, one day you won't have the same ideas as you do now. It will be wonderful, Inu Yasha."

The boy just shrugged and ran off with his ball, but not before turning and waving at his favorite person in the whole world.

Sachi had been working at the Mononoke manor for a very long time now, even before young Inu Yasha was born. After his mother had died, she became like a second mother to him when he was eight. That was two years ago. It was around then when… Sachi shook her head and finished up her work. After putting the supplies away, she went back to the maid's area and collected her things, then disappeared into the night, back to her home where her daughter and two year old son were waiting.

The walk to her small home wasn't that long. Pushing open the door, Sachi smiled at the old babysitter in the corner. "Arigatou, Kaede-sama. I'm sorry I'm later than usual this evening."

The woman got up and smiled at the younger woman. "It's no problem, child. They were good this evening."

"They always love spending time with you."

"Aye, and I them, but young children need their mother more."

Sighing, Sachi closed her eyes and nodded. "I know. I spoke with Inutaishio yesterday. My days will be reduced so that I may be here to raise them."

"Good. It's the least he can do."

"Please don't start on that."

"Forgive me, child. I better be going."

"Good night, Kaede-sama."

"Good night, young Sachi. But also remember this, ye daughter is special and also knows, but does not yet understand. She will though, soon enough."

"Arigatou."

With that, Kaede left, leaving Sachi to an empty room. She slowly walked into her daughter's room and looked down with fear and love in her eyes. 'I wonder what will happen when you understand, my dear little Kagome.'

~Ten Years Later~

Sachi was tired today. It was no wonder since she was up all night long, having another argument with her daughter. Just thinking about it made her sigh again.

"What's wrong, Sachi-san?"

Looking up, the maid wasn't surprised to see a now nineteen year old Inu Yasha looking at her with concerned eyes. She smiled up at him as she rose to her feet. "It's nothing, Inu Yasha. I'm just a little tired, that's all."

Inu Yasha looked her over carefully. The woman looked worn and exhausted. Ever since that day five years ago, Sachi had always seemed tired and sad, something he didn't like to see in her eyes. Sadness just wasn't supposed to be there. She had helped him grow up over the years when he had no one but his father, Inutaishio. He had an older half brother named Sesshoumaru, but he left when Inu Yasha was about eight, only a year after his mother died. His father took her death very hard, but seemed to recover fairly quickly, thanks to Sachi. She always seemed to brighten up everyone's day. That is, until that day five years ago. Whenever Inutaishio inquired what was wrong, she would just say it was nothing. They both knew something happened, but Inu Yasha had no idea what. He thought his father did, but never mentioned it. It was Sachi's choice whether to tell him or not.

Inu Yasha sighed and smiled at her, trying to reassure her. Sachi was a second mother to him and he never wanted to see her sad. It was painful. She was one of the few that wasn't scared of him because of his demon side. He was a hanyou, his father a demon and his mother a human. Sesshoumaru is full demon, his father's son from a first marriage.

Sachi smiled at the boy. "I better finish up my work. Would you like to help me today?" The silver haired boy nodded as they walked into the bathroom. Inu Yasha immediately went to work on the floors while Sachi began on the very high mirrors. Some of their more private conversations happened while Yasha helped her clean. It was his way of spending more time with her.

"So, how are things going, Yasha? Things seem to change all the time now." The brown haired woman climbed on top of the counters to reach the very top of the mirrors.

"That's because you only come three times a week now. Why is that, Sachi-san? You used to come everyday."

"Well, my children need me now and then too. I am also getting older, as are you. Your father figured it would be better for me to come less often."

"But I thought he liked you."

Sachi hesitated then turned to him. "That's not it, Yasha. It's just that my family needs me a little more. We've talked about this before."

A deep sigh escaped his lips. "I don't like sharing you with them."

She smiled. "You just don't know them. They don't like sharing me with you either."

"Why can't you just stay here?"

"You know I can't. It's just-" Before she could finish her statement, Sachi lost her balance on top of the counters and slowly started to fall backwards. By the time Inu Yasha knew what was happening, Sachi had fallen and a loud snap was heard as she hissed in pain. He ran quickly to her side. "Sachi-san?!?"

"Inu Yasha, go get your father quickly."

With a quick nod, the silver haired hanyou took off for his father's study. Bursting through the doors, Inu Yasha found him sitting at his desk as usual. "Father! It's Sachi-san! She fell and hurt herself bad."

That was all that needed to be said. Inutaishio shot straight up and ran after his son, heading for the fallen maid. As soon as they reached her, the older Mononoke inspected the woman's leg. "It's broken. The swelling is huge in a short amount of time. You will be unable to walk on it for some time." Concern filled his eyes as he looked at Sachi's face.

The woman sighed. "I see. But how will I be able to work then?"

Shaking his head, Inutaishio looked her in the eyes. "You will not. You will be home recovering from this. I will pay any bills that need to be paid for your injury."

After a moment, Sachi spoke again. "If I may, I know of someone who could take my place until my leg is alright."

Inu Yasha cocked his head to the side, his face showing his confusion. "Who?"

"My daughter. She is a hard worker and will be able to do the work. Please, Mononoke-sama, allow her to fulfill my duties."

The two demons exchanged looks until the elder one sighed. "Very well. Until you are allowed to work, your daughter will be coming to take over your job. But right now, we are taking you to the hospital."

"That's unnecessary. I live not too far away and am very good friends with the miko there. She will be able to look after me."

"Alright. I'll have one of the other maids take you home then. Inu Yasha, stay with Sachi-san until I return." With that, Inutaishio left in order to find the maid's ride home.

"Gomen, Sachi-san. I should have been paying more attention."

The woman smiled up at him. "Shh. It's alright, Yasha. I'm going to be just fine. It's not your fault. These things happen."

A few moments later, another woman came into the room, a couple years younger then Sachi. Taking her so one arm was around her shoulders, the maid allowed her colleague to shift her weight, making it easier to walk. Before leaving, Sachi turned. "I'll make sure my daughter is here bright and early tomorrow. Don't worry, Mononoke-sama. I'll be just fine and back here before you know it." With a smile, Sachi and her companion left the room and the manor, heading back to her small home.

~At home~

A woman about the age of nineteen was at the old stove, cooking something for her twelve year old brother to eat. He was a hungry kid, that's for sure. But that was normal considering…

A knock was heard at the door and the raven haired girl walked over to answer it. When she opened the door, she was shocked to see two women standing there, one leaning heavy on the other woman. "Oh Kami, hurry and put her on the couch. I'll have Souta fetch Kaede-sama. With that, the girl ran into the small area that lead into the woods. "Souta! Souta, come here quick!"

Before she had a chance to call again, the boy in question stood before her. "What's wrong, Kagome?"

"I need you to run to Kaede-sama's. Mother's hurt and needs her help."

"Hai!" With that, the boy took off, leaving Kagome to go back into the small home. The other woman had left by the time she had come back in, her mother Sachi laying on the couch with her one leg elevated. With a cold expression, Kagome sat beside her mother. "So what happened?"

With a small sigh, Sachi explained. "I was cleaning the mirrors and lost my balance. It's broken."

"Oh wonderful. Now at least you don't get to go off to them."

"Kagome… enough. Now is not the time."

Soon there was a knock on the door and Kagome got up to let Kaede in. The old woman went over to Sachi and indeed found the leg was broken. "You will not be able to work for sometime, Sachi-san." The old miko began to wrap her leg in order to keep it from moving too much.

"I realize that. Arigatou."

"I must get back to the shrine, but I will be back in the morning with some herbs that will help the pain. Until then, keep it elevated."

"Arigatou."

Kaede then left, leaving the small family together. Sachi turned to her son. "Souta, please go get some more wood for the fire. I need to speak with Kagome for awhile."

The boy simply nodded and went out into the forest, leaving the women alone. "Kagome, you know about our financial situation."

"What are you getting at?" Kagome's eyes were ice cold again, her voice harsh.

"Kagome, I need you to go take my place."

"What?!? No! Never! I'd rather be dirt poor and die on the streets than serve him. There is no way I am doing that!"

As she was about to leave the room, Sachi called to her. "What about for Souta? Does he deserve the same fate?"

Kagome turned slowly. "That was a low blow."

"Please, my sweet daughter."

"Don't call me that. You may be my birth mother, but I hold nothing in my heart for you, not after what you have done."

Her daughter's words cut through Sachi deeply, but there was nothing she could say. With a deep sigh, she silently pleaded with her first child. Ever since that day, Kagome had been cold to her, ashamed and angry. Sachi missed seeing her daughter smile and the hugs they used to share, but there was no going back to that time. Never again.

"Please."

After a few moments, Kagome sighed. "Fine, I'll do it, but only for Souta's sake. It's not like he had a choice in all of this anyway."

"Arigatou. I told them you would be there in the morning."

Kagome had already left the room by then, leaving Sachi alone with her heavy heart. She tried her hardest not to cry, but no matter what happened, tears would always fall. 'Please, let her coldness be melted. I ask not that she love me that way again, but only for her forgiveness. Please, save my little girl.' With that, the woman cried herself to sleep.

~*~Yes, I know this is a bit confusing. If you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer them without giving away too much. Ja ne!"