InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Don't Tell A Soul ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~I know it's been awhile, but I finally got ideas for this one again. Fun! So, for those still reading, here's your new chapter.~*~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Four

'Comfy…sooo comfy.' This was all that was going through the hanyou's mind as he slept in his bed. It was perfect, him in the just right position on the bed while the covers made him feel wonderful. Nothing was going to ruin this moment…

"Figures you'd still be sleeping."

…or so he thought. His perfectly snug covers were violently ripped off, leaving his body bare to the rapid change in temperature. Growling, Inu Yasha sat up and glared at the little monster who dared to disturb him. "My clock must be wrong. Thought creatures like you only came out at night."

The woman gave him a very fake smile. "Did you think that one up all by yourself or did you have Sango-chan figure it out for you?"

'Sango…chan?' A small smile broke onto his face. Kagome had been working in the manor for two weeks now and this was the first time she spoke of Sango that way. 'Guess she finally became friends with the wench. Maybe now I can get some answers.'

A loud smack broke Inu Yasha out of his thoughts. Rubbing his head, he scowled at the maid. "What the hell?!?"

Not surprisingly, an innocent look took over her features. "You were spacing. It was either walk over there to wave my hand in front of your face or throw a shoe at your head. The shoe seemed more logical."

"Only in your small mind."

Feigning hurt, Kagome replied, "Ouch. That one hurt so much, you big meanie. Seriously though, you really need to get up out of that bed."

Smirking, Yasha laid back and supported himself on his elbows. "Sure you wouldn't rather join me?"

"Oh, cause you know how hard it is to contain myself from launching at you and making heated passion love to you." Rolling her eyes, she picked up the sheets and put them in the laundry bag.

Still smirking, Yasha winked at her. "Don't knock it till you've tried it."

"I'd rather be eaten by bouncy pink marshmallow people of doom." Kagome came to the foot of the bed and began tapping her foot impatiently.

Inu Yasha just smiled. "Can I help you?"
"I don't have time for this, dog boy. We could do this the easy way or the hard way. Your choice."

Sitting up, the silver haired man crawled across the bed and put his face right in hers. "You should know by now I like it hard."

Smirking, Kagome shook her head. "Have it your way." Before he could react, she snatched one of his cute doggie ears and yanked real hard, pulling the hanyou off the bed.

"Owowowowowowowowow…" Inu Yasha quickly got off and glared at her after she released his sensitive ear. What was that for, wench?!"

"Aww, but I thought you liked it rough. Is the little puppy all bark and no bite?"

While sliding his tongue across his fangs, he smirked. "I'll show you how I bite, wench."

"Down boy. I only came for the sheets. Why must you always make things so difficult?"

Pretending to think for a minute, he answered, "Because I enjoy making things difficult for you."

"Just for that, no fabric softener for you."

"Aww! Have a heart! Or is it frozen? I'd think Sachi-san would have taught you better than that."

Kagome's posture stiffened as her eyes grew colder. Realizing his mistake, the hanyou looked at the maid as she grew angry. "I refuse to learn anything from that bitch. Now, unless you have anything else to say, I've wasted enough time on a simple chore." With that, she left the room, not giving him a chance to respond.

When she left, Inu Yasha smacked his forehead. 'Baka!!!' During the two week period, he had learned the girl was fun to throw insults at and it would turn into some kind of game as long as he didn't mention Sachi or his father. 'What could have possibly happened to make her so hateful?'

There was a knock on the door, causing him to look up. "Come in." When Sango came in, he was slightly disappointed.

"You did it again, didn't you?"

"Keh! I don't see why she has to turn into a bitch every time."

"Don't say that about Kagome-chan," Sango snapped at him. When he gave her a strange look, the maid sighed. "I found out a few things while talking to her. Let's just say she has a lot on her plate."

Curiosity got the better of him. "Like what?"

Sango struggled for a moment, debating if she should say anything or not.

~Flashback~

While cleaning the main living room, Sango looked up to see the new girl working in the hallway. Picking up her supplies, the slightly older girl walked over. "Hi there. I think we got off to a bad start. I'm Sango Nagano."

She held out her hand and waited to see if this girl would be social. Kagome reached out and took the other woman's hand. "Kagome Higurashi."

Releasing hands, Sango smiled. "Welcome to Mononoke Manor. We're really very friendly if you give us a chance."

"You're not just trying to be friends so you can report back to that mutt, are you?"

A smile spread on her face as she answered. "That's one reason, but I promise not to tell him anything too personal."

Kagome seemed to like that. "At least you're honest. Alright, what do you want to know?"

From that moment on, Kagome and Sango warmed up to each other, telling about their lives. It turned out Sango was supporting her younger brother Kohaku after her parents had died. Both of them lived in one of the servants homes, which was just an extension to the house. Most of the maids and other workers lived at the manor, except for a few. There were those few that lived in the local village, like Kagome.

Now Kagome had a story to tell…

~End Flashback~

"Well, she said I could tell you this. Her father died eleven years ago, leaving her, her younger brother Souta and Sachi-san. Souta was only a year old while Kagome-chan was eight. Anyway, she took care of him while Sachi-san worked here."

Inu Yasha sat back a bit and processed the information he was just given. 'So she lost her father the same time I lost my mother. No one should lose a parent that young.'

Waiting until he looked up again, Sango voiced her thoughts. "What do you think?"

"I really don't know. Do you think she's still upset about her father's death?"

"Possible, but she did not show an attitude until I asked about Sachi-san. Kagome-chan grew very angry and told me she didn't, and I quote, 'want to talk about that bitch.' She held nothing but love and respect for her father, but pity for her brother, whom she holds dear to her. Apparently it's just between her and Sachi-san."

"And my family, mainly father." Inu Yasha sat on his naked bed and thought for a moment.

With a sigh, Sango made moves to exit the room. "I got more rooms to clean. Maybe you can put on more that your boxers and get up out of bed?"

With a scowl, Inu Yasha got up and changed after his friend left the room. 'So it's resentment just to Sachi-san and us Mononokes. What am I missing?"

~

Kagome walked down the hallway, looking from side to side. 'You'd think it'd be easy to find the door to the gardens.'

"Looking for something?"

The female whirled around and scowled when she came face to face with the Lord of the manor. He had a soft smile on his face as he gazed down at her, which she detested. "I was just searching for the door to the gardens."

A small chuckle escaped his lips as Inutaishio looked at her. "Sachi-san had trouble finding it as well. Please, allow me to assist you."

As he reached out his hand to her, Kagome slapped it away. "Don't think that because we share the same blood I am as weak and naïve as she. I don't need anything from you; none of us do."

With that, Kagome turned on her heels and stormed off, leaving the youkai standing there. 'It is just as I feared. I just have to take it slow…'

"Father! What was that about?"

Inutaishio turned to see his son standing behind him, apparently upset and confused. Inu Yasha moved forward a bit more. "What did you say to her?"

The much older youkai raised an eyebrow. 'Interesting.' Turning his head in the direction the girl went, he spoke. "Go assist her, Inu Yasha. She appears lost." Without another word, he walked away.

Inu Yasha, completely confused, went after the girl. 'What did she mean about not needing anything from him?' The hanyou had heard the last thing Kagome had said, but nothing before that. 'What did he say to her?'

Before dwelling on that, the silver haired teen came across the female in question, apparently angry. "You okay?"

The maid whipped around and glared at him. "Come to throw around more insults?"

"No, just to see if you were okay. You looked pretty angry."

"Don't I always?"

"Actually, no, but I haven't seen you real happy either, or smile."

"Your point?"

He didn't know why he was asking this at all, but it just spilled out of his mouth before he could stop himself. "Why don't you smile?"

"If you were in my shoes, would you smile?"

Smirking a bit, he pressed on. "And just what kind of shoes are we talking about here?"

Catching on to what he really meant, Kagome twisted it a bit. "Heels."

"Not what I meant."

"Look, just back off, little puppy. I've got work to do."

Smirking again, Inu Yasha stayed planted in front of her. "Maybe I could help."

"The same way that little fox does?"

"Oh, I should really thank you for that. He'd rather hang out with you instead of me."

"Surprise surprise."

Shippou had come to stay with them last week and was immediately taken with Kagome, much to her horror. Sure he was adorable, but he just seemed to make a bigger mess where ever he went. He'd apologize with a big, toothy grin, but she still had to clean it up.

Inu Yasha shifted from one foot to the other, hands buried into his jeans pockets. "So, where do you have to work now?"

Sighing in frustration, Kagome changed her glare to an annoyed gaze. "The gardens."

A small smile broke onto his face. He and Sachi-san used to play there when he was still little. Nodding, the hanyou turned and headed in one direction. "Come on. I'll show you where they are."

Raising an eyebrow, Kagome gave him an untrusting look. "Why are you being so helpful all of a sudden?"

Turning his head to look back at the raven haired girl, he smiled. "Because that's how I was raised."

A moment passed when the girl sighed and followed, walking beside him. Taking a look at her out of the corner of his eye, Inu Yasha saw her trapped in her own little world. "Penny for your thoughts."

"Money first. Thoughts second."

"Wise decision."

"Not really. I usually hold out for what my thoughts are really worth, not just a mere penny."

Taking the bait, he pressed on. "And how much do you think your thoughts are really worth?"

"Let's just say even you couldn't afford it."

Raising an eyebrow, Inu Yasha was taken aback. 'Did she just smile?' Sure, it was a very very small one, but it was, nonetheless, a smile. 'It's a start.' Smiling, he gazed at her. "Should I start a running tab now or wait until after I get a taste?"

"Why don't you just tell me where I can find the gardens instead of you pestering me the entire way there?"

"You know, you really should learn how to control your temper."

Kagome finally turned her head to look at him. "Look who's talking."

Giving her a confused look, Inu Yasha commented. "Excuse me? I can control my temper with no problems."

"One word: Shippou."

"That doesn't count."

"And why not?"

"Because… because… Oh, lookie here. The gardens are right through there."

"You are a sad sad little puppy." With that said, Kagome went through the door to the gardens… if you could call it that. The plants were near death in this small area which seemed to be compacted between two wings of the house.

"This is the small garden. It's the one that needs the most work, so I figured that's the one you needed to be dumped off at." Smirking, Inu Yasha turned and walked away, leaving a grumbling maid to dig into the hard ground.

~

A tall, shadow figure stood up above, watching the new maid weed and work her magic on the dying plants in the small garden. After a long period of time, the hanyou had returned and began helping the maid, in which time they continued exchanging insults. At one point, the boy smudged some dirt onto her face. In anger, she chased after him with the rake, trying to claw him. He watched as Inu Yasha held back so she would eventually catch him, but instead dodged the rake and brought the girl into his arms. He could hear him whisper to her that he wouldn't let go until she promised not to beat him with the gardening tool. Eventually, she agreed and he released her, giving her a chance to kick him in the shin, then walk back over to her chore.

The shadow watched as the boy smiled and tried to make the maid laugh, a hint of a smile on her face as she resisted. Smiling, the unknown figure kept walking, unseen by the two below. 'It seems he got through to her. My suspicions were confirmed. As much as she denies it, she is just like her mother. And Inu Yasha is just like me.'

With that, Inutaishio walked into his office and closed the door, smiling to himself. 'Let's see just how alike they are- Kagome-san and Sachi-san…'

~*~Next chapter should be a bit more fun, I think. Not too sure yet. Anywho, reviews are very nice. Ja ne!~*~