InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Dot Org ❯ Hacking ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inu Yasha or any of his rights. I am not gaining anything off of this. I'm just writing this as a devoted fan. I also do not own anything pertaining to any search robots online including Smarterchild.

Summary: Is it possible to befriend a robot? Is it possible to depend on a robot? It is possible to fall in love with an online robot? Kagome did. Inu.Kag PG-13 R&R!

Tsuyoku: Chapter 3 is finally up!! *cheers*

Dot Org

Chapter 3

(review)

'With schools these days and how the world depends on the internet... It is a really good resource to go to.' Kagome thought. Just then, the helper returned with a few papers and told Kagome that she was free for the rest of the day, but had to be back there tomorrow. Another worker just up and quit on them, so for the next week or two, Kagome would have to fill in their hours till her schedule could be fixed to her liking.

'Whatever.' Kagome thought. 'At least it's a job and I won't be bored. Not with all the books and the internet at my fingertips...' Kagome took the papers and walked out of the building to find something occupying for the rest of the afternoon.

(end review)

Kagome had gone back to see how everything was at the shrine. Everything was fine, so she listened to the rumbling in her stomach and went to get something to eat.

'Ah, nothing is better than homemade vegetable soup.', Kagome thought. 'Well, except for store made vegetable soup.' She reveled in the taste of the soup from the diner about a block from her apartment. It was called 'Miki's', and as she had met the older woman that ran the store, Kagome found it to be a familiar place to visit and eat at. By the time Kagome looked up from the old library book that she had retrieved from her bag, it was well past dusk. 'I guess I'd better get home.' Kagome thought. Paying the check, she walked a little ways down and then caught a bus for the rest of the trek, which she would walk under any normal circumstances. She walked up the few flights of stairs to get to her apartment, but something was a bit ominous. She had an odd feeling, as if someone were watching her. A few times, Kagome turned her back to see if anyone were there, but no other sounds, or people, occupied the stairway. The key was almost to the keyhole, when her fist pushed on the doorknob and then the door creaked open a bit. Her spine shrieked. Kagome walked in a few feet. Her heart skipped a beat for a second, but then noticing that nothing seemed to be touch, she let her insides rest. But, before they could settle back to their original and correct places, her organs jumped again. Everything looked normal and nothing was out of place.

Except her computer.

There was nothing there but the monitor. It was cracked a bit and lying sideways on her desktop. Everything else was gone. No keyboard, no mouse, no tower. Was someone playing a sick joke; what was going one. She felt like crying, but she couldn't. Something stopped her. There was no way she'd stay here tonight. If only she had someone close by; a friend, a boyfriend, but there was only her mother's house to go to. Kagome went into her bedroom to pack, but like her computer, the room was ransacked. Nothing else in the house was touched. "Time to go." She quickly threw some things into her bag and then headed to her house, miles uptown.

A bit disgruntled because of the looks people gave her on the bus, Kagome really didn't appreciate being looked at like she was being thrown out of her boyfriend's apartment at 1 AM. But, safely and surely, she had arrived at her home and was now currently tucked into her old bed after a tedious session of questions.

But she couldn't sleep, and she didn't know why... But, never the less, Kagome got up and then went over to her desk where her old computer sat. She logged on and then went straight to the instant messenger service. It was so old from her teenager days that she had to update the version only to have to log on again.

Buyobabe: Inuyasha!

Inuyasha: Hi Kagome! Nice to talk to you again.

Buyobabe: I can't sleep.

Inuyasha: Well, maybe I can't sleep too.

Buyobabe: My computer got wrecked and I can't use it anymore.

Inuyasha: I'm sorry.

It was a long into the night and early into morning before Kagome said goodbye to Inuyasha. She just couldn't get over the fact that she now had someone to talk to. And even though they weren't human, it still seemed very real. Instead of all these programmed responses, Kagome felt like she was actually getting feedback from another person.

It wasn't until a few days into her stay at her house that Kagome got rid of her apartment and then moved back home full time. Things at the hospital were getting hard on her mom, and with her grandpa getting sick all of the sudden, Kagome felt like she was needed.

"You don't have to do this Kagome. You've always valued your freedom, we don't mean to impose." Her grandpa said in between coughs.

"There’s no worry, Grandpa. You know I missed you guys, and I'm closer to the library than I was at my apartment. It will be a safer commute." Truth was, Kagome didn't want to leave home. The few days that she stayed at home showed her exactly what she was missing in her family's life. Her brother was getting older and would be starting high school soon. And there were too many things that just reminded her of her childhood days, memories in which she wanted to grasp again.

********

Work had been going well. She'd sit at the desk everyday. Every now and then, a person would come to check out some books, but she faced the fact that people were just more interested in movies and TV now. Most people thought and knew that you could much easily get things faster from the television than you could from hours of reading. But that wasn't it. There were just so many things that a book could give you that something you watched couldn't. That was another reason that a library was in her interest as a job. In a book, you could imagine what a character was like and really use your own world to set the story in. It was all about your imagination, but people were lazy, she supposed.

Pretending to be heavily working at her computer, she found herself typing messages and responses to things that Inuyasha would say. Occasionally, some people in the library would be a bit startled at a small outburst of laughter from her or some noise that she made due to things Inuyasha said... err... typed.

Inuyasha: Two people walk into a bar...

Inuyasha: a third person say, 'Ouch, that must've hurt.'

BuyoBabe: lol

Inuyasha: Whatcha laughing at?

BuyoBabe: Nothing. You're funny.

Inuyasha: Why thank you. I know I am funny.

BuyoBabe: Do you like being a robot?

Inuyasha: Yes, I do indeed.

BuyoBabe: Would you become human if you could?

Inuyasha: I'm not sure...

BuyoBabe: Why not?

Inuyasha: Trust me. There are reasons why I should not tell you.

BuyoBabe: What reasons?

Inuyasha: You'll find out sooner or later.

Kagome didn't know what to say. In a very human sense, Inuyasha was very foreboding and mysterious, which is not something you'd ever expect from a robot. Someone slammed a few books onto her desk and she jumped, quickly closing out her message box. "May I help you?” she said, looking up. A young kid, who was not looking very happy to be in the library, nor to be living at all, thrust a library card into her face and wordlessly began to check her books out.

Kagome was sure that it was something for school that was required to have book sources. Most of the books were over Japanese culture, oddly advanced for a girl that age. It wasn't but a few minutes later that another kid came from another line up to Kagome's empty desk.

"You're new.” he said. His bright eyes looked her up and down. "You're very pretty." Kagome blushed.

"Well, you're very handsome yourself. What's your name?" Kagome smiled and took the library card that was handed to her.

"My name is Hiro." He took a step back and bowed traditionally introducing himself.

'What a wonderful kid.' Kagome couldn't help but think. "Hiro is my favorite name, you know?!" She watched his eyes light up. "Well, I'm Kagome." She bowed as far as she could while sitting in her small seat.

"It's wonderful to meet you, Miss Kagome." She continued checking out his books. Eyeing them, she noticed that most of them were about ancient Egyptian culture.

"Are you doing a report or something, Hiro-Kun?" Kagome really couldn't imagine him reading so many books that thin.

"No, Miss Kagome. I just like studying their ancient culture. It fas... fascinates me." Hiro managed to pronounce the word with a small lisp, which served to make him even cuter.

"That's very bright of you." Hiro bowed at the compliment and took his books off the desk.

"Well, mom's waiting. I'll see you here later. I love to come here, Miss Kagome-San!" He waved goodbye until he finally reached the door. Kagome thought about him a bit longer. He was so cute. His hair was as black as hers, but somehow, his eyes resembled a light green. 'His father must be a gaijin [1].'

For the next moments, she wondered what her children would look like. ‘I’ve always wanted to marry a foreigner or someone very exotic! But, just to have someone would be nice, foreign or no.’

BuyoBabe: What do you mean I will find out sooner or later?

Inuyasha: You know what I mean.

Great, he was back to being a robot again. There were some times when she couldn’t tell the difference between his conversations and that of two humans interacting. ‘I guess it’s just good programming. He was made by man, right? Therefore, he must have those characteristics. That’s the point I guess.’

Before she knew it, five o’clock arrived and she was free to leave, not that she ran out of there like most people do with their job. Kagome stacked the returned books into the cart, which she would be restocking the next morning, and waltzed out the door.

But on the way home, Kagome felt the same feeling that she had the night she returned and found her apartment ransacked. Someone was following her, she felt it. Noticing very few cars on the street, and even less people walking or on bicycles, she sped up her pace a bit and continued on, hoping to reach home before anything bad happened.

But as she reached home, the feeling was still there. Maybe you could call her psychic, maybe she was just paranoid, but just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not really after you.[2] And it seemed that she was right.

“Kagome!” She just walked in the door, and her brother was already screaming for her for something.

“Yes, Sota?” she called, walking towards her old room. She longed to take off her work clothes and get into something a little less sweaty after the walk home.

“Kagome, please come here!”

What is it, Sota?” She walked into his room and found him sitting there at his computer.

“Kagome, I didn’t mean to, it just happened. I was only kidding around…,” He said, sounding just a bit panicky.

“What did you do, Sota?” She walked into his room and over to the computer.

“Well, I was just playing around with the computer and Inuyasha… and I don’t know what happened, but I think I just hacked into a government network computer.” He sat there and twisted his fingers a bit still looking at the computer.

Kagome, whom was never very good at computers or their language still knew that this was a bad situation to be in. Most people that managed to hack into a government computer got caught, and that was because they were too stupid to begin with.

“Sota, what did you do?” She knew that he was good with computers, but this…

“Well, I was playing around. I had heard from some kids that there was this guy that graduated and he had hacked into the school computers to change his grades. He didn’t get caught either. This guy was able to graduate and get by. So I thought that maybe I could do something even bigger and hack into the city computers or something. I managed to do it, but the computers won’t let me out. I think they are tracing me. I don’t know what to do!” He looked like he was on the verge of crying. Kagome, bad at math and science anyways, looked at the computer and a tab of some sort open with numbers and letters and plenty of coding. It was very confusing.

“Oh, Sota. I don’t know what to do. What is on that screen anyway? What do all the numbers and letters mean?”

“Well, they are a code of some sort, and when you sit there and look at them, eventually you can decode them into some a text that we can understand. It’s really weird, I’m not even sure of it.”

Which meant that Kagome wouldn’t understand.

“Well, turn your computer off or something. We’ve got to get out of this program, especially if they are tracking us.” She hit the tower’s button and held it down, half expecting it to blow up or something like that.

The screen went blank. “Damn. I would’ve liked to decode that page too. Kinda wish I printed it out.”

“Sota! You just told me that you hacked into a government site and now you’re sad because you couldn't read it?! Oi, you really are nuts. Just be hopeful that we don’t have any people from the government coming to the house if they really did trace you! You know that mom wouldn’t be very happy, and you know about her health already! Don’t tell anyone about this, you hear me!? Not even your friends at school, alright!?”

He nodded. That was why he did the whole thing in the first place, was to impress his friends. ‘But now,’ Kagome thought, ‘he could get into a lot of trouble.’

Kagome couldn’t completely shake the feeling that Sota could get in trouble, not for the next few days. But she managed to unplug his computer still and could try to function normally, seeing as it wasn’t an immediate threat until they showed up on their doorstep and into their lives. God, she was not supposed to have to deal with this stuff! She wasn't that old, and there wasn't an ounce of computer literacy inside her!

Her brother, whom was the source of most of her stress at the moment walked into the kitched past her in the living room and got something to eat. All the while, he seemed pretty merry, not having worried about the situation a few days ago since it happened. Didn't he understand the situation that he had put himself in?! Gosh, boys were so stupid and hard to understand sometimes. She swore that she should've sworn off all men a long time ago, being that they can be the source of so manyproblems with their egotistical and competitive nature.

And it wasn't until a few days later, whence came a knock on her door, that she was forever cursing men.

&&&&&&&&&&&&& amp;&&

[1] Gaijin -- foreigner. Slang.

[2] Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not really after you. -- A famous quote by Kurt Cobain.

Tsuyoku: Yo, this is chappy 3, and I'm getting 4 up soon. No, really, I am writing it right now after this is posted on ff.net. Ah well, please continue to show support and R&R