InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Drifting ❯ Addiction ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Addiction
 
Kagome started to climb out of the well, and was instantly met by strong arms pulling her up the rest of the way. She was embraced by those arms, her eyes shining with an inner fire. In the dark hours of the early morning he shone like a beacon. His red hoari seemed to burn the air around him, his silver hair almost blinded her. His outline was hazy against the blurred, faint background of the world. She didn't care. She looked into his eyes, feeling her soul being pulled into them.
 
“Took you long enough,” he said. The words scalded her. The slightest trace of disapproval caused the tears to rise, overpowering her delight at hearing his voice. Didn't he know that he was too real? That everything he did felt more concentrated to her?
 
“I had to sneak out again,” she said in barely more than a whisper. He looked at her pajamas, and gave a slight smile. She had also forgotten her bag in her desperation to get through the well, meaning she didn't have a change of clothes. She had been forgetting things more and more often recently, and he just thought of it as an endearing habit. He leaned his head down and brought his lips to hers, his hair enveloping her in its brilliant light. She replied to him fiercely, trying to draw him in as he drew her. She needed him more than anything, she needed this to feel alive, to stay alive.
 
InuYasha pulled away slowly, admiring the bright intoxication in her eyes. Every time he saw her she looked more beautiful, more vibrant than anyone he had ever known. There was almost a glow to her, though it was different than her miko powers. He brought his lips back to her, trailing them over eyelids, her neck, her ears, tasting her feverish skin, feeling her shiver against him.
 
So many nights they had spent like this, holding each other, exploring each other, needing each other. It had started over a year ago, when they had defeated Naraku. They had found themselves free from any burdens, though not from each other, never from each other. Like an addiction, each time they went a little further, each time they waited a little less. However, even after a year of this, InuYasha had never taken it to the next step; he had never claimed Kagome for his own. He had never made her his mate.
 
The whole gang had settled in Kaede's village, all of the welcomed with their useful skills. After spending so long traveling, however, they weren't used to a steady home and often took to the road. Sometimes it would just be a few of them, sometimes the entire group would go, but no matter where they were, InuYasha spent almost every moment with Kagome. He needed her, he knew, if only to be there. And she always was there.
 
The sunrise washed over them, and he pulled away from her completely. She stumbled and stared at him, mouth slightly parted, waiting for his command. Anything he said she would obey. She let herself fall completely under his authority, and she relished it.
 
“Go home, Kagome,” he said, “Get dressed and say goodbye to your mother this morning.” He looked at her nervous eyes. “I'll be here when you get back,” he said softly, smoothing her hair back. She nodded, and slowly climbed into the well, her eyes not leaving him as she descended.
 
She was ready to sob at the bottom of the well. Having to go back after just escaping the torture of life without him was unbearable. It's only for a few minutes, she told herself, I will be back with him in just a few minutes. She swallowed her grief, and climbed up the well, back into her own time. She looked her surroundings, silently hating them. She left the shed, heading to her room to change her clothes and find her forgotten backpack.
 
She stormed about her room, tossing clean clothing into her bag. Then she stripped off her pajamas, threw those in the bag, and threw on some clothing. She flew down the stairs in an effort to leave as soon as possible.
 
Her mother stopped her before she could get back to the well.
 
“Won't you have breakfast, Kagome?” she asked cheerfully, “You've been getting too skinny recently.”
 
Kagome wanted to refuse, but found that she had no choice as her mother steered her into the kitchen and into a chair. The woman chattered on, excited that her daughter had not run off during the night as usual, talking about something that Kagome didn't listen to and didn't care about. Kagome scowled during her meal and barely tasted her breakfast as she ate it. When she moved to leave after washing her plate, her mother said, “Please, Kagome, won't you come and talk to me? I miss talking with you, and recently you've been so distant-”
 
“I really need to go, mama,” Kagome said, cutting her off, “I have a lot to do.”
 
Kagome pushed away from her mother, and hurried off before her mother could tell her that she would be gone for the next few days. She hated to leave when she could see her daughter falling further and further into melancholy, but it couldn't be helped. She watched her daughter walk toward the well, a feeling of dread overcoming her. Every time she went through the well she had a feeling that less of her daughter came back.
 
“Tell InuYasha he's welcome here for dinner any time he wants!” She yelled at her daughter's retreating back, unsure if Kagome had heard her or not.
 
Kagome rushed down the well, again skirting the letter left for her. She had stayed here too long. Ignoring the ladder, she jumped into the well.
 
She didn't cross through the well. She jumped up and down, but nothing happened. The jewel, she thought frantically, tearing open her bag, where is it? She checked her pajama pockets, but they were empty. It must have fallen out when I changed… She dropped her pack and ran back to her house. Once in her room, she got on the floor and crawled around, searching for it. There, she thought, locating it under a dirty shirt. She inspected it, but it was still a reassuringly white color. She closed her hand around it, and for the third time that morning, left her house to cross through the well.
 
In her hurry to get down the well she tripped and scraped her knee, but ignored it. Even pain was dulled here.
 
She climbed out on the other side, but this time no arms came to help her. She looked around, blood running down her leg from her cut knee, but she didn't see him. Her eyes darted about, trying to catch a glimpse of red, a streak of silver, but the colors here were all faded, even as the sun brilliantly lit the sky.
 
Kagome was on the verge of panic. He said that he would be here. He wouldn't just leave me. She focused on the spot where he had seen him last. She sat down, keeping her eyes open for any sign of him, sitting completely still so that her body would not distract her as waited for him. She stilled her breathing, letting no other sound penetrate her ears, in hopes that she could hear his approach.
 
The movement of the sun did not disturb the girl. Any movement, any noise held her immediate attention. But nothing proved fruitful. She ignored the staves of hunger that washed over her. She ignored the stiffness in her joints, the protests of her muscles. She ignored everything, hoping for a sign, something that would indicate InuYasha's presence.
 
Hours and hours passed as the girl sat, seemingly in a trance. And, slowly, night fell over her wasted body.
 
InuYasha was gone.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
AN: I do not own the rights to InuYasha.
 
Again… formatting is driving me crazy.