InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Easy as 1, 2, 3... ❯ Striking Gold ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Inuyasha, there would be more anime episodes of him running around naked. (Ep. 82) Shameful, isn't it?

.

.

.

Easy as 1, 2, 3…

Chapter Two

.

.

"Inuyasha?"

"Go away."

Sango frowned at the rude response that came from the hanyou on the other side of the door. She was never known for being easily frightened by anything, so that certainly didn't stop her! How else would she end up one of the few humans working in a youkai home?

"I'm not leaving Inuyasha, so I suggest you let me in!"

"Go to hell!"

This didn't phase her either! Everyone was used to Inuyasha's bad attitude, but Sango was one of the few that refused to put up with it.

"If you don't open this door right now, I am gonna go get permission from Sesshoumaru right now for me to break it down so I can kick your butt!"

Some muted grumbling could be heard on the other side of the door before Inuyasha reluctantly threw it open. Maybe he had to let her in, but that doesn't mean he has to talk to her!

Sango sighed in relief as she followed him back into the room. "Finally! What's wrong with you lately? You're mother told me what happened at dinner last night."

Inuyasha flopped back down on his bed where he had been before Sango had so rudely disturbed him. Resuming his staring at the ceiling, he ignored her completely. Counting the cracks in the plaster was safer than talking about his problems any day, even if she clobbered him for it!

Watching him give her the cold shoulder, Sango nearly pulled her hair out in frustration! "Listen, I know I shouldn't stick my nose into something as private as you're love life, but-"

Inuyasha snorted. "What love life?"

Sango sighed and tried again. "That's a good point, but still, you shouldn't-"

"Just stop it Sango." He sat up and growled at her, his white ears twitching madly on top of his head. "Do you really think I want to be reminded of that? I think about it too much already! You're not helping things, so maybe you should just leave."

Sango's anger melted away, and she stared at him with sad eyes. "Fine, if that's the way you want it. But I don't like seeing you like this, and I know Miroku and your mother hate it as well. You just need to give it some more time, I'm sure you'll find somebody!"

Inuyasha sighed and ran a clawed hand through his hair. "I know you're only trying to help me and I appreciate it." He muttered, almost too low for her to hear. "But when you've been alone and rejected as long as I have, you learn to lose hope real fast."

"Oh Inuyasha…"

He managed a weak smile. "Don't worry about it. Just get back to work before the cook realizes you ditched your duties again. I'm surprised my mother keeps you around, you skip out on your work so much."

This made Sango laugh, mostly out of relief that he at least seemed to be trying. It was sadly pathetic though compared to his usual rude remarks. "I probably should get back to work before your mother gets home."

Inuyasha looked at her in surprise. "Where did she go?"

"Out shopping. Sesshoumaru asked for her to pick him up some more chocolate again." Sango grinned.

This information made Inuyasha smirk. No matter how depressed he was, he never missed out on a chance to make his brother's life miserable. "If you see my mother before he does, get the chocolate and give it to me."

She gave him a mock salute. "Yes sir!"

For the first time in a while, someone walked away from talking to Inuyasha with a smile on their face, thanks to Sesshoumaru of all people!

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

"Ummm, Lady Rumiko…I don't want to stick my nose where it doesn't belong, but…you're going to get Lord Tai underwear for his birthday?" It took all of Miroku's discipline not to sweat drop.

The look he got from her was one of confusion. "Why not? He needs new ones." She turned her back to the bodyguard and flipped through a few boxers on display. "I really like the smiley face ones. What do you think?"

"Very nice." He nodded and gave her a fake smile, trying not to get into trouble. "But if you will allow me to give you a few more, Ah, romantic suggestions since that is my specialty…" Trailing off, he noticed his employer was no longer paying a bit of attention to him. In fact, she dropped the boxers she was holding and began to walk off with a dazed look on her face. "Lady Rumiko? What's wrong?"

As if she didn't hear him, she continued to walk off. This worried Miroku greatly, and he followed her closely. At the moment, he was the only guard actually in the store with her.

Lady Rumiko's entire focus seemed to be entirely on one girl. She looked to be about 16 or 17, digging through a display of brightly colored nail polish, oblivious to the attention she was suddenly receiving.

"Excuse me…"

"Yes?" Kagome looked up from the display and smiled. "Did you need something?"

'What am I suppose to say?' Lady Rumiko fretted to herself, suddenly at a loss. 'Hi, I'm a miko and so are you, will you come home with me and marry my son because without you he's impossible to live with anymore?'

Instead, she finally settled on, "Do I know you from somewhere? You're familiar…"

Kagome frowned in thought. "I don't think so. Perhaps you have me confused with someone else." The frown soon turned into a bright smile as she held out her hand. "My name is Higurashi Kagome."

Not missing the chance to have physical contact with the girl, Lady Rumiko shook Kagome's hand eagerly. When they touched, she felt what could almost be described as an electric shock run through her hand. This odd occurrence only served to confirm her suspicions. After all this time, she finally found one!

Giving Kagome her most friendly smile, she responded. "It's so nice to meet you!"

"And my name is Miroku!" Another voice barged in.

Grabbing Kagome's hand, he gave her his most dashing smile. "Would you do me the honor of bearing my child lovely lady?"

Poor Kagome looked like a fish out of water! Her mouth was opening and closing, but just couldn't seem to find a suitable response!

"MIROKU!" The warning came just a moment before something heavy collided with his head. And everyone thought Inuyasha got his temper from just his father!

"Please forgive me Lady Rumiko!" He muttered, hurriedly stepping away from Kagome. Even Miroku knew when enough was enough.

Smiling at Kagome once again, she tried to make up an excuse. "Don't mind Miroku. He likes pretty girls just a little too much for his own good."

"That's okay…I think…"

"Anyway dear, I'm sorry to have bothered you. It was very nice meeting you though."

Kagome recovered enough to smile at the nice lady. "It's alright, really."

"Enjoy you're shopping!"

Kagome watched as Lady Rumiko dragged Miroku away until they were out of sight. Finally shrugging to herself, she picked out a bottle of blue nail polish that matched her eyes. "That had to be the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me." She muttered.

Poor Kagome, the girl really has no clue that the weirdness has only just begun…

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

Lady Rumiko returned that afternoon, one bodyguard short. No, she didn't clobber Miroku and dump his body somewhere, as much as she would have liked to for his flirting with Kagome. Instead, she sent him to follow her. They needed to know more about her, as well as where she lived. If anyone could find that out, Miroku could!

Running into her husband's study, she frowned when she realized he wasn't back yet. And just when she had such exciting news!

She really wanted to tell Inuyasha, but decided it was safer if they waited till they had more information on this Kagome. The last thing she wanted to do was get her son's hopes up, only for them to come crashing down later.

Grabbing the phone on the corner of Lord Tai's desk, she dialed his cell phone number, her fingers shaking with suppressed excitement.

"Hello?"

"Tai? I found one!"

"One what?" Her husband's voice was more than a little confused.

"I'm so excited Tai! I have been looking for so long, and-"

Her husband's growl cut her off. "Is this about that shoe you couldn't find this morning? You called to tell me about that?!?!"

Lady Rumiko's face registered her nearly comical surprise, and she had to stop a moment to gather her wits. "No, no, not a shoe! I mean I finally found a MIKO!"

There was a moments pause. "She's not 75 or older?"

His wife smiled. "No."

"She doesn't carry a cane?"

"Certainly not!"

"And she didn't attack you?"

"She was very polite."

Lord Tai's deep, rumbling laugh could be heard. "I suppose you can start planning the wedding then dear."

This got a laugh out of Lady Rumiko. "I will. But I won't tell Inuyasha anything yet. I'll wait till you get home."

"That's good. I wouldn't miss this announcement for the world."

Lady Rumiko smiled, knowing how excited Inuyasha would be. "Neither would I…"

.

.

.

.

Reviews are always highly appreciated! So you'll be nice and review, right? If you don't, I could always resort to threats, but I'm sure I won't have to do that. *Finger hovers over the 'delete chapter' button* ^_~