InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Easy as 1, 2, 3... ❯ Strange Circumstances ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I'm kinda glad I don't own Inuyasha. I would probably end up homeless the first day he lived in my house. Either by destroying it or getting me thrown out. ^_^

.

.

Easy as 1, 2, 3…

Chapter Five

.

.

.

"CUTE!" Kagome squealed for the thousandth time as she rubbed the small, triangular ears between her thumb and fingers. Inuyasha sighed and continued to let her, even as he wondered if he was going to have any fur left before she was done. (Ewww, Inuyasha with bald ears, not a pretty mental picture…)

"Well, I suppose we don't have to worry about her reaction to that anymore." Sango remarked dryly. "If everyone reacted to him like that, he wouldn't have anything to worry about!"

"Keh! If everyone reacted to me like this, I'd never come out of my room again!"

"Don't tell me you don't like it." Kagome interjected. "If you didn't then you wouldn't be purring like that."

Inuyasha blushed and began to splutter. "You didn't have to tell everyone that!"

As if she didn't hear him, Kagome continued calmly. "I didn't know dog demons could purr."

"I didn't either till I met Inuyasha's father. " Lady Rumiko commented. "It is a mystery to everyone. Maybe my husband's family bred with cats once in the past."

"You can't be serious!" Inuyasha yelled. "None would have sunk that low!"

Kagome frowned. "I happen to like cats, thank you very much!"

"Umm…what I meant was…"

"Save it."

Inuyasha's shoulders slumped in defeat. Why did he have to stick his foot in his mouth every time he turned around? Any ground he might have gained with the ears was slowly slipping away.

As if suddenly realizing she was supposed to hate him, Kagome dropped her arms and warily took a step back. The loss of her standing so close left Inuyasha feeling depressed. Did he really like her that much already?

"I think I want to go home now." Kagome stated quietly.

Lady Rumiko frowned. "You don't plan on staying for a while? Inuyasha will miss you if you leave!"

Wrong thing to say! Kagome took a deep breath to calm herself before she spoke again. "Thank you for the offer, but I wouldn't stay in this house with him if it were the last place on earth!" She gritted out.

"Hmmm, seems we have a bit of a problem here. Sango, why don't you take our guest to the kitchen and find her some breakfast? Inuyasha, you stay here because I want to talk to you." The last sentence she spoke was said sternly, leaving no room for argument.

Kagome wasn't thrilled with having to stay any longer, but she was hungry, so she willingly followed Sango to the back of the large house. When she was gone, Lady Rumiko turned angry eyes on her son.

"What were you thinking Inuyasha? You could very well have just ruined any chance you might have had with her!"

Inuyasha cringed. "Like I said before, it was an accident!"

"I think you had better tell me all about this little 'accident'. Maybe then we can think of some way to fix this mess."

Thus, the explaining began. Lady Rumiko sat silently throughout the whole story, not interrupting, even when she felt like slapping him a few times for his stupidity. The one thing that kept running through her mind was 'Is this pervert really my son?'

"That's the whole story." Inuyasha ended. He gazed expectantly at his mother, looking for any hope she might possibly offer him.

"As much as I hate to admit it, we have a huge problem here." Lady Rumiko admitted.

Inuyasha felt his heart sink six feet under.

"But there is still some hope!"

Maybe things weren't as bad as he thought! "Really?"

"As much as she doesn't want to admit it to herself, and especially not to you, I can tell she's attracted to you. And that's even after she found out about you being a hanyou."

The white ears on top of his head perked up hopefully from their earlier flattened state.

"Stranger still, even though you did something as creepy as kidnapping her, she doesn't seem to fear you at all. That's a very good sign, although it makes me question her sanity…" She winked to let him know she was just joking.

His mother was slowly but surely scraping his mushed hopes off the floor.

"Seriously though, I can't help but think that if we dare let her out of this house, she is probably going to avoid you for the rest of her natural life."

Only to mush them once more! What a tactful mother!

"Then what can we do?" He growled. "Lock her in a room with only bread and water till she decides to like me?"

Lady Rumiko smiled. "Of course not, we have gotten much more civilized since the time your father met me."

Inuyasha sweat dropped and decided not to question that statement.

"Instead, I have an idea! Now Inuyasha, go find Miroku and send him to me. Give us a few minutes alone, then go to the kitchen and send Kagome in here. By then Miroku should be long gone, and I will need to talk to her. Okay, I am going to tell you what I have decided to do, and if you screw this up, I'm going to let Sango beat you to a pulp, understand?"

Inuyasha gulped and nodded, before listening carefully to his mother. It didn't take long before he was smiling widely and leaving to do his mother's bidding.

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

"Did you want to talk to me?" Kagome questioned. She was hoping they were going to make arrangements to send her home so she tried to be nice.

Lady Rumiko smiled. "Please sit down Kagome." Waiting for her to settle in, she then continued. "I have been talking with Inuyasha, and it has come to my attention that you know next to nothing about what is going on. Since you have been dragged into this, it's only fair you know the details."

Kagome nodded uncertainly for her to continue, not at all sure what to expect.

Inuyasha's mother smiled sadly. "It all starts with the fact that Inuyasha is a hanyou. Demons and humans alike shun him for what he is, and as a result, he's very lonely. At his age, when demons usually take a mate, he's unable to, because who would have him? Demon women look down on him like he's a speck of dirt under their feet."

Feeling an unwanted pang of sympathy towards her kidnapper, Kagome couldn't help but ask "What about human women?"

"They aren't quite as bad, but there is still a problem there. Demons live a long time as you've noticed from things we have said. An average human would die long before a demon, or even a half demon like Inuyasha would."

Understanding dawned, but Kagome was still confused about something. "If that's a problem, then why would he want a human either? Wouldn't I die sooner than him as well?"

Lady Rumiko shook her head. "No, you're different Kagome. Miko's are very much different."

Shock covered the younger woman's face. "How did you know that?!?! How did you know I'm a miko?"

"I have lived a long time, and my training is much farther beyond what you know. I can sense your powers just by being near you."

Kagome was silent as she digested this bit of new information. She and her family knew of her powers, and that was another reason her grandfather was so bent on her inheriting the shrine. But even though they knew, she had never had any formal training.

"How are mikos different?"

"When a demon and a human mate, they form a bond that is stronger than anything two humans could ever have. That bond connects their lives and their power. But if a human has no power to connect to the demon, they will not be affected at all. A miko's power causes her to share her mate's life span, enabling her to live much longer than she normally would. After all, look how old I am!" Lady Rumiko grinned, knowing she really didn't look her age, although she had to be pretty old if Inuyasha is her son!

"I suppose that would explain why Inuyasha has such an interest in me." Kagome mused. "But why me exactly? Aren't there other miko's?"

"We are very few Kagome. Finding a miko your age is so rare, I was doubtful we ever would. That's why your being here has everyone so excited!"

"Hehe, that's…nice…"

Lady Rumiko smiled with a hint of mischief. "You can't possibly tell me you don't feel at least a little sorry for my son. He's such a recluse and spends so much time alone, he doesn't exactly know how to act around a girl he's interested in."

Kagome frown. "I can tell. But well, I do admit I feel sorry for him, but that doesn't excuse what he did!" A hot blush had once again spread over her cheeks.

It was silent for several moments, before Lady Rumiko spoke once more.

"In light of the circumstances, I feel it's really only fair that you give Inuyasha a chance."

'I am getting a bad feeling about this…' Kagome thought to herself.

"So that is why you are going to stay here for a while and try to get to know him. Would you really turn you're back on someone so lonely?"

*Gulp* "Um, did you say stay here?" Kagome was suddenly getting the feeling she was being suckered into pitying that jerk so that she would stay, and she was falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

"Yes! My most trustworthy bodyguard has been sent to your home to leave a note for your family. I had Miroku type something up in case you were wondering, since we didn't know what your handwriting looked like."

"But I don't want to stay here!"

Lady Rumiko sighed. "I know dear, but it's really only fair that poor Inuyasha gets a chance since you seem to be his last hope. Even a demon dreams of finding someone special and having a family. And dog demons mate for life, so flings are out of the question. Besides if Inuyasha did that he knows I'd kill him." Lady Rumiko looked grim faced for a moment, before smiling brightly again. "Oh, I'm getting off topic! Now, where was I? That's right! Tell you what, we can make a deal. If you still can't stand him after a month, you will be free to go home, no questions asked."

Kagome jumped to her feet. "That's crazy! You can't make me stay here!"

She was intentionally ignored. "I need to make sure a room is prepared for you, and that everyone knows you will be staying here for a while! The cook will need to know there will be one more person, and Inuyasha's brother will need to be told…"

"Excuse me…but I said that I DON'T WANT TO STAY!"

"Oh, I forgot to tell you about Sesshoumaru didn't I? He's my stepson. Not very friendly, so I would advise you to leave him be. That reminds me, whatever happened to that chocolate I bought him yesterday?"

Kagome grimaced, knowing she was stuck. They obviously had no intention of letting her leave. Sighing, she finally gave up on getting her point across to Inuyasha's excited mother, and instead started to think about the strange situation she was in. 'I can't believe I am stuck here with that dog boy for an entire month, and forced no less! A cute dog boy I'll admit…no! Don't fall for it, cause that's what they want you to do!' A frown spread across her face. 'This is no good. If I'm already having trouble now, how am I going to survive staying here?'

After several moments of hard thinking, an evil smile slowly spread across her face. 'If they don't want to fight fair, why should I? He only wants me right know because he thinks he likes me. I can fix that real quick!' The evil smile turned into a full-blown grin, causing Inuyasha's mother to worry about what she might be thinking. 'This would be a nice break from that stupid shrine work I hate so much, and getting revenge on Inuyasha will make the time spent here well worth it!'

Strangely enough, even though she had basically been kidnapped and forced to stay, she didn't feel threatened by anyone. In fact, she rather liked Sango, and she knew if Inuyasha tried anything, she would be well defended.

"Kagome?"

"Hmm?"

"Are you okay? You have a…strange look on your face."

"No, I'm fine, but I was wondering something."

Lady Rumiko smiled. "What's that?"

"What kind of letter DID you leave for my family?"

The question brought a frown to the older lady's face. "You know, I'm not sure…I let Miroku think of something because I still needed to talk to you."

Kagome buried her face in her hands. "That pervert wrote it? Oh God!"

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

"MOM!" Sota yelled from the kitchen later that day. "I FOUND A NOTE FROM KAGOME!"

It didn't take long for Mrs. Higurashi to make it into the kitchen. "What does it say Sota? It's not like your sister to vanish without telling us where she went."

Obediently unfolding the note, Sota read it out loud.

Mom,

I hope you can forgive me for being so utterly cruel to you, but I have fallen in love and we decided to run away together! Don't look for me, because I will be long gone by the time you find this note. I will return in a month, and when I do you will finally get to meet the man of my dreams! Don't worry about me at all! See you soon, and take care of Buyo for me!

Love, Kagome

Mrs. Higurashi frowned. "Oh dear. Now you'll have to help take care of the shrine Sota. At least until your sister gets back."

Sota sweat dropped. "You mean you're not worried?"

"No, why would I be? I told her to always leave a note before she leaves so I wouldn't worry, and she did."

"Mother!"

"Now, what kind of wedding gift should I get your sister?"

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

Outside watching this, Miroku smiled knowing the job was well done. "What can I say, I just have a way with words…"

He will be so dead when Kagome finds out about this one.

.

.

.

.

Hope you guys are enjoying the story so far! Please be sure to drop me a review and let me know what you think, okay? I love hearing from people and getting feedback for my work. ^_^