InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Easy as 1, 2, 3... ❯ Dinner for Two ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I own Inuyasha, but I'm also told quite frequently by my family members that I'm crazy.

.

.

Easy as 1, 2, 3…

Chapter Ten

.

.

.

It was almost time, and Inuyasha was a nervous wreck! He'd double-checked everything so many times, but for some reason he just couldn't shake the feeling that he was forgetting something!

This mysteriously missing element continued to escape poor Inuyasha though, and it didn't help that the man could barely think straight. Oh well, whatever it was must not be that important, right?

At least he was well dressed for the occasion! Tailored black slacks, black shoes, and a very sexy white dress shirt with the top few buttons unbuttoned. As long as he manages to keep it clean, then he's got it made! Even his beautiful white hair was combed neatly.

While he was double-checking everything for the ten millionth time, there came an unexpected knock on the door.

"Oh great, don't tell me she's early!"

Before he could make a move to answer the knock, the door opened and Miroku strode into the room like a man on a mission. He gave everything Inuyasha had set up a cursory glance before smiling in satisfaction.

"You've done a good job Inuyasha! I honestly didn't expect you to, so I thought I ought to come by and check. It seems though that you have everything well under control!"

"Gee Miroku, I'm awed by your confidence in me."

This earned the dog demon a frown. "No need for the biting sarcasm. I'm only doing this in your best interest Inuyasha."

"I'm thrilled and deeply touched. Oi, how did you find out I was doing this, anyway?" Inuyasha asked, suspicion lacing his voice.

"I have my sources!" Miroku replied carelessly. "Everything does look good though. You seem to have thought of everything! Even the silverware is polished to perfection and almost looks too nice to eat with. Speaking of which, what's on the menu, lover boy?"

Inuyasha gave him a blank stare. "Menu?"

"Please don't tell me you actually forgot about the food!" Miroku had to resist the urge to stamp 'hopeless' on Inuyasha's forehead.

"Oh crap!" Was the simple, slightly panicked answer.

"Okay, don't get too upset yet." Miroku counseled his friend, who looked on the verge of freaking out. "Surely the cook has something made up for the rest of the family. She can probably spare you some."

"I sure can!" Came the sudden reply. Both men turned to see the stout little old lady, bearing a tray. "Sango double checked with me because she didn't trust either of you to do anything right. Smart girl she is! I have a charming dinner fit for two all ready, and just in time too I might add."

Inuyasha was so relieved he didn't even question how Sango found out his plans. Instead, he did the first thing no one thought he would ever do! He swept up the little woman in a huge bear hug soon as she set down the tray, almost squeezing the life out of her and lifting her feet clear off the floor. Talk about giving her the thrill of her life! "You saved me Baba! What would I ever do without you?"

"Yes, what would you do without me?" She replied dryly. "Besides, I owe you one after that little show the other day, sweet cheeks." With a wink, she turned and exited the room.

Inuyasha groaned and rubbed his forehead. "I completely forgot she was in there when I did that. I thought only Kagome and Sango were around to see it!"

The look on Miroku's face was priceless! "Sweet cheeks? Show? What EXACTLY did Sango see?"

Ohhh, he was gonna DIE!

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

Inuyasha was still rubbing the huge knot on the back of his head, courtesy of Miroku, when there was a soft knock on the door of the sitting room. All thoughts of pain flew out the window, and he practically ran to greet her at the door.

Without waiting for him to open it, Kagome entered after she knocked, looking like she was ready to run at the smallest incentive. His running towards her like that almost did the trick, but she held her ground.

"K-Kagome! You actually came!"

She eyed him warily before answering. "Well, after that romantic note, I just couldn't bring myself to stay away. Although your lucky I found you. You forgot to tell me WHERE we were eating in your note, genius."

Inuyasha had to stop himself from saying something rude in return. 'Oh great, she's being sarcastic already! But that's okay, I can handle that. At least she showed up, which is good! That means I've got a chance!'

She looked beautiful too, like she had at least made an effort for him. Dressed in a green dress of Sango's, it was modest while still showing everything off to perfection. It took a monumental effort to keep his distance from her.

After staring at her for several moments, Inuyasha actually blushed and looked down at the floor. "I really am glad you showed up Kagome."

Since she had first entered the room, Kagome had avoided looking at him very closely. But after hearing him say that, she couldn't seem to help herself as she glanced at him in surprise.

'OH…MY…GOD!' Her mind screamed at her. 'It's got to be a sin to look as good as he does! Oh, I just knew it would be a mistake coming here! I should really leave. Turn around and walk out Kagome. Do it! MOVE, OR ELSE YOU'RE A GONER!'

Despite her thoughts, Kagome didn't move a muscle. All she could do was stare at him like a deer caught in the headlights of a Mac truck! His tanned skin along with that white shirt could give any woman a heart attack! 'And of course she'd die the happiest woman in the world too.' Kagome thought dryly.

When several moments had passed and Kagome didn't hadn't responded to him, Inuyasha finally looked up and caught her staring. He couldn't help but grin at that. Maybe he wasn't exposing anything like he had done the day of the full moon, but her reaction was still almost as good!

"So, uh, you wanna sit down?" He gestured to the table behind him. When she nodded, he moved to pull out a chair for her, just as Miroku had advised him to before he left. Sometimes even that pervert could give good advice.

As soon as Inuyasha had settled himself as well, they both sat quietly with nothing to talk about. Breaking the ice was always so awkward!

"Oh yeah! I almost forgot, I have something for you."

Reaching behind him, Inuyasha pulled out a box and handed it to Kagome with a flourish, looking very pleased with himself. She stared at it.

"You got me chocolate?"

"Yeah, I-"

*SLAM!*

The door to the room flew open and hit the wall, startling the couple at the table. In swept a very dignified Sesshoumaru, looking seriously peeved!

Giving them the evil eye, he snatched the box from a shocked Kagome. "That's where my chocolate went. I should have known it was you."

"Hey, it's not like you bought it, so it was fair game!"

Kagome looked back from one brother to the other as they tried to stare each other down. The scene was almost rather comical! She figured maybe she ought to say something before a fight broke out or something. "It's just chocolate Inuyasha, so it's not that important!"

Sesshoumaru gave her a shocked glance, before backing off with the box in his hand. "I will never understand people like you." With this odd announcement, he left while Inuyasha and Kagome stared at his retreating back.

"Your brother is weird."

"Half brother. And he has some strange addiction for chocolate. He'd never admit to it since it's such a 'human' trait to have an addiction, but he does."

Kagome suddenly giggled. "You'd think someone addicted to chocolate would have more of a perky personality!"

Both got a mental image at the same time of Sesshoumaru pumped up on a caffeine high, and busted out laughing! Do you blame them?

'Sesshoumaru barging in isn't exactly something I had in mind.' Inuyasha thought wryly. 'But now it's not nearly as awkward as it was. I don't know what it is about her, but I just enjoy being around her. I don't feel like she's judging me for what I am like so many people seem to. Why are you so different Kagome?'

Kagome noticed Inuyasha's face go from amused to what could be described as sad in the space of several seconds as he stared at her intently. "Is something wrong? You look so serious all of a sudden."

Inuyasha snapped out of his thoughts and shook his head. "No, nothing's wrong. It's just so rare for me to actually find people like you."

"Like me?"

Inuyasha grinned. "You hate me, but at least you don't hate me for what I am. Most people and youkai don't even give me half a chance on first meeting, but even after I kidnapped you, you still didn't judge me. I wouldn't have blamed you if you had." The smile faded from his face.

"I don't hate you." She whispered quietly.

Gold eyes widened as they stared at her. "But…I thought-"

"I didn't say I've forgiven you." She reminded him with a half smile. "But I don't hate you either. You haven't done anything to actually hurt me. You've just tried everything in the book to drive me crazy!"

Inuyasha laughed at her grimace. "I just have to know….Is it working?"

"I'm not answering that."

"Come on, I won't book you a room in the loony bin, I swear!"

"Are you kidding? I think this IS the loony bin."

"Don't avoid the question!"

Kagome pointedly ignored him then. "Weren't we supposed to actually eat on this so called 'date'?"

Inuyasha jumped up and grabbed the covered tray. "Yeah, the cook made something for us. I dunno what-" His voice died as he lifted the cover off the food.

"Why are there hamburger buns on top of the vegetables?"

Inuyasha picked up a small note and crumpled it in his fist, but not before Kagome had a chance to see what it said. "For you, hot buns? HOT BUNS?"

"It's not funny." He grumbled.

"Yeah right!" She gasped between laughs. "I think the cook wants your body!"

Inuyasha tossed the wadded up piece of paper over his shoulder. "Yeah well, I wish she wasn't the only one." He muttered.

Kagome stopped laughing, and smiled at him suggestively. "Maybe she isn't the only one who wants it. More than one person saw that the other day, you know."

'Is she actually flirting with me?' He wondered in amazement, the room suddenly feeling several degrees hotter under her steady gaze.

Out loud he managed to ask, "Who else?" with a hopeful expression.

"You really wanna know?"

He gulped and nodded when she leaned across the table. Closer…and closer…

By this point he could almost feel her hot breath on his face, causing every coherent thought in his head to die right then and there.

"It's…..SANGO!"

He slumped down in his seat and growled when she sat back in her seat and started laughing hysterically again. So much for his little fantasies!

.

.

.

.

Reviews are nice... ^_~