InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Easy as 1, 2, 3... ❯ The Newest Addition to the Family ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, but I guess that's a good thing because you guys wouldn't be getting to read this story if I did.

.

.

Easy as 1, 2, 3…

Chapter Eighteen

.

.

.

The silence was deafening as Inuyasha and Mrs. Higurashi stared at Kagome, one with shock and the other expectantly. Kagome could only stare at her feet, unsure of how to explain things without her mother trying to kill her for being alone in her room with a boy she wasn't married to!

After waiting several moments, Kagome's mother sighed in exasperation and turned back to Inuyasha. "Well, it seems Kagome has suddenly turned shy so I suppose we must introduce ourselves. I'm your new mother-in-law, but you can call me Mom!"

Before Inuyasha could form an answer, Mrs. Higurashi hugged him with all her might! Kagome could only watch the scene in horror from her desk chair.

"So what's your name?" Inuyasha's new 'mother-in-law' inquired. "And how did you two meet? I have to admit, I think you two make a darling couple!"

"I-Inuyasha……" The stunned boy managed to mutter. His poor brain was still trying to process everything that was happening.

"Wonderful!" Mrs. Higurashi clapped her hands. "Now I finally have a name to put on all the announcements I planned to send out! I've already told all your little school friends Kagome, but formal announcements are needed for distant family and friends."

One of Kagome's hands clutched at her chest, willing herself to keep breathing as she stared at her mother. "Y-you told ALL MY FRIENDS?!?!"

Mrs. Higurashi frowned thoughtfully. "Of course I did. I was so proud of my little girl! I'm sorry if you wanted it to be a surprise."

While Mrs. Higurashi's attention was focused on Kagome, Inuyasha finally had a chance to gather his thoughts and figure out how he should be reacting. A vast array of expressions crossed his face in a matter of moments as he considered everything.

'Why the heck does this woman think I'm married to Kagome? We didn't even DO anything when we slept together last night! Did she actually tell her mother about that? From the horrified look on Kagome's face, I doubt it.' His frown slowly reformed into a smirk. 'Then again, who cares why? I mean, is this really a bad thing? If nothing else, I can probably get her mother to leave us alone so we can talk, and if worse comes to worst, I have a valid reason for hanging around!'

His smirk was now a full-blown grin, and Kagome could feel her last hope of explaining her way out of this mess with help from Inuyasha shatter into a thousand tiny pieces. He looked WAY too happy about the whole thing for her comfort.

Although neither Kagome nor Inuyasha was actually listening, Mrs. Higurashi was at that moment picking out names for her first grandchildren. She'd made it to child number six, when Inuyasha cleared his throat loudly to get her attention.

"Mrs. Higurashi?"

"Mom."

"Oh, sorry about that!"Inuyasha shot the embarrassed Kagome a smug smile. "MOM, I loved meeting you but Kagome and I really need our privacy now."

A small gasp escaped Mrs. Higurashi's lips, and she covered her mouth with her hand. "Oh, I can't believe I was so rude! It didn't even cross my mind that you two might have been busy, and I just barged in like I usually do!"

Inuyasha, hoping she wouldn't remember, decided not to bother pointing out that they had been sitting on opposite sides of the room when she had barged in.

Ignoring Kagome's frantic motions of denial, her mother continued. "I will leave you two alone now! I do need to ask that you keep the noise level low though. Sota is in the house, and that really isn't something he's old enough to know about yet."

"MOTHER!" Kagome finally shouted, causing Inuyasha to let out a snort of laughter behind Mrs. Higurashi's back. And he'd been doing such a great job of keeping a straight face up to that point! "INUYASHA AND I ARE NOT-"

"Kagome, you can deny it all you like, but I am your mother so I know the kinds of things couples do behind closed doors." Mrs. Higurashi gave her an amused smile. "But I think you and I need to go shopping soon young lady. Those cat pajamas are NOT exactly something a man goes for."

"But-"

"Anyway, good night, you two!Don't do anything I wouldn't do!" With a wink, Kagome's mother exited the room without bothering to listen to any more of her daughter's protests.

As soon as Mrs. Higurashi was out of sight, Inuyasha couldn't stand it anymore, and he busted out laughing and almost fell off the bed. He was still pretty sore from his fall out of the window, but he couldn't seem to help himself, no matter how much it hurt! The situation was just too ridiculous and perfect to be real!

Kagome stared at him, and if one looked hard enough they could see steam rising from her head as she debated who she wanted to kill first. Miroku had the number one spot on her hit list, with Inuyasha and her mother coming in second and third respectively. But since Inuyasha was the closest to her hands, which were itching to strangle someone, he had the most to worry about!

With a small cry, Kagome launched herself at the still laughing Inuyasha and ended up sitting on him with her hands around his neck. Inuyasha grunted in pain, but instead of getting mad like he usually would have done, he just grinned at her suggestively. "I didn't know you were so eager to jump into bed with me. Just remember, we have to keep it quiet!"

Kagome growled in her best Inuyasha imitation as he started laughing again.

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

Kagome's mother listened to the squeaking of the bedsprings in the next room, and shook her head. "Those two, I told them to keep it down! But I just don't have the heart to be upset with them. Young love is so fragile!" A small, dreamy smile formed on her face. "And I really, really want some grandchildren!"

Humming happily, she got ready for bed and went to tuck Sota in and tell him goodnight. He probably wouldn't sleep well, because he was so excited about finally having an older brother just like he'd always wanted.

Just as Mrs. Higurashi was climbing into bed, a particularly violent bang sounded on the wall, and she rolled her eyes. "Kids, they just get too excited these days!"

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

Inuyasha's body was sprawled across Kagome's bed, and his eyes were swirling dizzily as Kagome fumed from her desk chair. Obviously his human form wasn't holding up as well against Kagome as he thought it would! When his brain was finally functioning again, Inuyasha made a hasty mental note to avoid making her mad on the new moon if he planned on living much longer.

Kagome watched him slowly pull himself together, counting the moments until she could kick him out of the house and go to bed. She just wanted this bad day to be over with once and for all! She didn't think she could take much more.

Finally sitting up, Inuyasha rubbed the fingerprints on his neck and sighed. 'I always like things a little rough, but that isn't exactly what I had in mind.' He knew better than to voice his thoughts out loud, so he settled for going back to the reason he was there in the first place.

"Oi, Kagome….."

"What?" She snapped, clearly still in a bad mood.

"Would you get over it and listen to me for a minute?" He muttered. "I'm trying to be serious this time." When she didn't answer him, he just took her silence as consent and decided to keep going. "I was trying to ask you something before your mother barged in here, so I had to get her to leave somehow so I could talk to you again! I'm not a pervert or anything. That not why I was trying to get you alone."

"Could have fooled me."

Inuyasha coughed lightly and frowned at her, signaling that he wasn't done yet so she should just listen. "I wanted to ask you about this morning when you left."

"Maybe I don't want to talk about what happened this morning. It's over with and I want to forget about it."

Inuyasha had the sudden urge to smile at the role reversal. Normally it was she who wanted him to talk, and he was the one refusing. This time it was the other way around, and even though it was frustrating it was also pretty amusing.

"You forced me to answer your questions earlier, now it's my turn to get my questions answered." He reminded her smugly.

"Keh!" Kagome slapped a hand over her mouth, and her entire face turned red as he started laughing at her again. Kagome thought faintly that maybe it would be better to answer the stupid questions before she embarrassed herself anymore.

After Inuyasha had a moment to compose himself, he cleared his throat and glanced at her nervously. "I wanted to know Kagome……why did you react the way you did this morning? And be honest, I'll know if you're lying to me."

The girl across from him paled a bit, and refused to meet his gaze as she thought about how to answer such a question without revealing any of her feelings. She didn't want him to know she cared about him, because all that would do is give him another way to hurt her again, and she didn't want that.

"Well?"

"That's not a question I'm willing to answer." Kagome whispered.

Inuyasha could feel the frustration building up in his chest, but he tamped it down and tried to keep a level head. It wouldn't help any to get angry with her, and he had to know if she cared for him at all! He wanted to tell her exactly how he felt, but he needed to know first if he had any chance at all.

"Kagome, please tell me. I can't make things right if you won't tell me anything!" When she stayed silent, he tried another tactic. "And I'm not leaving until you tell me!"

"Fine!" Kagome hissed, picking up a pillow off the floor and throwing it at him. "Then you can go make your bed on the couch and explain to my mother why you're sleeping there in the morning when she finds you!"

Inuyasha's face darkened. "If you'd just tell me……"

"I said NO! Now get out of my room because I want to get some sleep tonight!"

Kagome pulled a blanket out of her closet and tossed it at him, and he caught it without really thinking about it. He was too busy glaring at her and trying to figure out why she was being so stubborn about everything!

'If I can't get her to answer me, then what do I do now? Stay here and keep this husband and wife ruse going? She's obviously hiding something, and I don't plan on leaving without knowing what it is!'

"Fine then, I'll go sleep on the couch and we'll talk about this again in the morning." Turning, he walked out of the room, but looked back and winked at her before he shut the door. "Goodnight, DARLING!"

Kagome froze at this and stared at the spot where he had been standing a moment before. The wink and the darling comment had made her blush, but she was still pretty furious as well as shocked. 'Darn it, I didn't think he'd actually take me up on it! I thought he'd just get mad and leave, or insist on doing something perverted like sleeping in here with me. Does him knowing the answer to his question mean that much to him?'

Frowning, Kagome switched off the light in her room and crawled into bed. But she didn't get to sleep for a long, long time.

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

Downstairs, Inuyasha flopped down on the lumpy couch and let out a groan as it jabbed at his numerous bruises. What had he gotten himself into? Maybe he should have insisted on at least sleeping on her bedroom floor or something.

Closing his eyes, he tried to forget everything and get some sleep when something large, heavy, and furry fell with a painful thud on his chest.

"Ooommpphh!"

Opening one eye, Inuyasha found two eyes peering back at him. Buyo cracked open his mouth and meowed, giving Inuyasha a whiff of some pretty bad breath.

"Ugh, you stupid cat! Get off me!"

The fur ball just rubbed his head against Inuyasha's face.

"Oh, so you like me now that I'm not part dog demon." He grumbled, pushing the cat away. "It's all your fault Kagome doesn't like me. You brainwashed her and made her a cat person, even though we're meant to be together. Kagome's mine, not yours!"

The cat just purred and settled in to sleep on his chest, making Inuyasha feel a bit silly for trying to argue with a cat. Grumbling under his breath, he finally just left the cat there and closed his eyes again, praying for sleep to come and put him out of his misery.

.

.

.

.

I have to admit, my favorite part was Inu talking to the cat. Anyway, next you get to see what happens when the whole household meets Kagome's new 'husband', hehe! Review! ^_^