InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Easy as 1, 2, 3... ❯ I Hate Mornings ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Writing a story this popular was a complete accident (on ff.net, anyway), it doesn't mean I have talent! Oh, I mean, I don't own Inuyasha! -_-;

.

.

Easy as 1, 2, 3…

Chapter Nineteen

.

.

.

"I hate mornings." Grumbled a bleary-eyed Kagome as she exited her bedroom, already dressed for the day ahead. But even though she was up early, there were very obvious dark circles under her eyes, evidence of her nearly sleepless night.

After clomping down the stairs and making enough noise to wake the dead, Kagome entered the kitchen to see if anyone else was awake yet. Sure enough, a once again white-haired, dog-eared Inuyasha had parked himself at the table and was now slurping down a bowl of Ramen noodles. The only unusual thing about him was the tuffs of cat fur clinging to his shirt.

"That little traitor."Kagome mumbled, catching sight of the fur. "I was wondering where he went last night since he normally sleeps with me."

"Good morning to you too, sunshine!"He greeted her, smirking at the death glare she shot him. "I see someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Could it be because you slept alone last night?"

Making a face of disgust, Kagome ignored his pointed remarks and focused on his choice of breakfast food instead. "Who in their right mind would eat Ramen for breakfast?" She slapped her forehead in a sarcastic manner. "Oh, I forgot! Someone who can't cook anything else!"

Inuyasha growled at her. "Quit making fun of me. It's not my fault you're in such a bad mood this morning."

"Oh, it isn't, huh?"

Inuyasha wisely decided to stay quiet as it dawned on him that is probably WAS his fault, and went back to eating his breakfast in silence.

Kagome walked over to the refrigerator and pulled out a carton of orange juice, and then went over to the cabinet to get herself a glass. Without bothering to sit at the table with him, she leaned against the counter and watched him eat and drink her juice.

"Why are you up so early anyway? Couldn't you have waited for someone else to wake up and fix a normal meal?" She put her now empty glass down on the counter and waited for him to answer.

Inuyasha opened his mouth to answer, but snapped it shut a moment later as he questioned exactly how to respond. 'Wouldn't I look a little too pathetic if I told her I missed eating yesterday just because I was in such a hurry to come here? But then, if I told her that, maybe she would see exactly how serious I am. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it and see how she responds…'

"Inuyasha?"

The hanyou snapped out of his thoughts at the sound of his name, and looked up from his Ramen to answer her. "I-"

Inuyasha cut off at the sound of a door being opened upstairs, even though it was low enough that Kagome couldn't hear it. He had to restrain the urge to groan, knowing they were about to get interrupted AGAIN!

"Good morning!" A chipper voice called out from the stairs. A moment later, Kagome's mother entered the kitchen, smiling brightly. "I see you two are up early! Eager to get a start on the day ahead?" Mrs. Higurashi suddenly stopped and stared at Inuyasha. "Kagome, may I ask who your new friend is?" Her voice had taken on a disapproving tone.

Inuyasha was confused for a moment, but he finally remembered that he had been in his human form the first time she'd met him. 'Oh crap! I can't believe I forgot all about that! How are you going to explain this one, you moron?'

"Well, you see…" He muttered under his breath. "I'm really a hanyou, so-"

"I can see that from the ears." Mrs. Higurashi broke in calmly. "You don't live in an old shrine like this one all your life without learning a few things about demons. I just wanted to know who you are, because I don't think Kagome's new husband would like her being alone with another man."

Kagome and Inuyasha both sweat dropped and looked at each other in confusion, each silently questioning the other about how to deal with this new problem. The last thing they had expected was for her to be so calm and matter-of-fact about the whole thing!

Mrs. Higurashi approached Inuyasha while both were distracted, and started looking him over with a critical eye. "Kagome, I don't approve of you two-timing your husband, but if I do say so myself, you have good taste in boys!"

Kagome's jaw dropped, and Inuyasha turned a bright red color. "But mom! He-"

"I know Kagome dear, he has dog ears. But why should that be a problem? They are so adorable!" She reached out and started rubbing the two furry white triangles, causing Inuyasha to turn redder than anyone would think possible.

Finally removing her hands from his ears, Kagome's mother smiled at him and walked over to whisper something in Kagome's ear. "I don't know about you, but if I had to pick, I would go for the one with the dog ears. He's so cute!"

Inuyasha's ears twitched as he picked up what was said with his powerful hearing, and he almost fell out of his chair! He couldn't have heard right! Her mother liked a half dog demon better than a full human?

"Mama!" Kagome hissed, trying not to look Inuyasha's way. "I am NOT two-timing! That's the same guy from last night, Inuyasha!"

Mrs. Higurashi blinked with surprise and turned to look more closely at the boy sitting at her kitchen table. "You ARE the same boy, aren't you?" She started laughing. "Well now I feel silly, accusing my own daughter of two-timing with her own husband! I'm sorry Kagome dear, I should trust you more, shouldn't I?"

Kagome felt like banging her head on the cabinets behind her, but refrained. 'My mother must be crazy, she's so accepting of everything! She hasn't even questioned why he's half demon, or why he was human last night! Even worse, it doesn't even seem to bother her that her 17-year-old daughter is married to a strange man she met for the first time just last night, one that she knows nothing about!'

"Well, how about some breakfast?" Mrs. Higurashi offered, pulling some dishes out and setting them on the counter. "We'll have a big meal to celebrate both of you coming home!"

Inuyasha nodded eagerly, completely forgetting everything else at the thought of food, just like any normal man. Kagome would have dearly loved to strangle him just then!

"Mom, aren't you bothered at all that he's half demon?" Kagome questioned, hoping for some sort of clue as to why her mother was taking everything so well.

"No dear, not at all!" Mrs. Higurashi hummed happily. "In fact, marrying one is the best thing you could have done!"

Inuyasha and Kagome both stared at Mrs. Higurashi in shock for what seemed like the millionth time that morning, before the latter one managed to ask why.

"Well you see, ever since your father died, Kagome, this place has been getting pretty run down. After all, the shrine is hundreds of years old. And your Grandfather is just getting too old to care for it as it needs to be cared for."

Inuyasha did NOT like where this was going.

"So," Mrs. Higurashi concluded. "A strong young man is exactly what we need to fix the place up a bit! And everyone knows a demon is much stronger than your average human, so he can work that much harder!"

"I feel so loved." Inuyasha muttered under his breath. The hanyou was starting to have second thoughts and wondered if maybe he would do better if he kidnapped Kagome again, even if she ended up hating him for it.

"Good morning!" Another voice called out, and Inuyasha mentally cursed himself for not hearing him approach. A moment later a little boy entered the room and stared at Inuyasha in awe.

"Wow, cool! You have dog ears!"

Inuyasha glared at him. "Isn't anyone in this house scared of demons? The claws and teeth have got to count for something!"

His question was completely ignored as Sota stared at him with that hero worship that just seems to come naturally to small kids. "Are you my sister's new husband?"

Inuyasha yawned and decided to tune the little kid out. "Maybe."

"Are you a dog demon?"

"Maybe."

"Are you strong?"

"Maybe."

"Did you and my sister do 'that' together last night?"

"Maybe-"

*WHAM!*

Inuyasha rubbed the painful lump on his head and looked up to see Kagome holding the frying pan her mother had been planning to use to make them breakfast. She was giving him the most evil look he'd ever seen, and Inuyasha growled at her warily.

"What was that for wench?!?!"

"I can't believe you said that to Sota!"

"Huh?" Inuyasha's fierce look turned to one of confusion. "What did I tell him? All I said was maybe to everything he asked!"

"You are such a pervert!"

Sota was watching this scene with a look of amusement. He knew full well that Inuyasha hadn't been listening to any of his questions and had been answering 'maybe' to everything, so he'd thrown that in just for fun. His sister was so easy to make mad!

While the 'newlywed couple' fought it out at the kitchen table, the last member of the family entered the room and broke out into the most horrendous wail at the sight of Inuyasha and his fuzzy ears!

"How did a demon get in this shrine!" Kagome's grandfather moaned, getting ignored by everyone. "My demon wards are foolproof!" He pulled one out to attack the evil creature invading his home, when Sota grabbed his sleeve.

"That's Kagome's new husband Grandpa, so you can't attack him." As an afterthought, the little boy added "Or at least you can't when either mom and Kagome are around."

"Breakfast is ready!" Mrs. Higurashi called, breaking up the little drama going on around the kitchen table. She placed all the dishes on the table, and Inuyasha was almost drooling at the sight of so much home-cooked food. Any memory of the Ramen he'd been eating earlier was long gone.

Everyone took a seat except for Kagome who stayed right where she was, leaning against the wall behind Inuyasha. She was infuriated that her family was excepting him so easily. How the heck was she supposed to get rid of him now? Her whole family already believed she'd slept with him!

"Kagome, we seem to be one seat short don't we?" Mrs. Higurashi frowned. "I suppose we could get the desk chair from your room."

A sly smile spread across Inuyasha's face, and he shook his head no. "That would be too much trouble. Kagome can sit in my lap."

Sota started to gag at this, and Mrs. Higurashi let out a small snort of poorly concealed laughter at her daughter's embarrassed face. The grandfather was obliviously eating his breakfast and planning his next attack on the unsuspecting hanyou.

In response to Inuyasha's little offer after gathering her wits, Kagome huffed furiously and stomped out of the room. "I think I'm going to be eating breakfast out today! ALONE!" The front door slammed and Inuyasha's ears heard her as she picked up speed once she was outside, trying to make a quick getaway before he could follow.

'If that wench thinks she can leave me behind before we have our little talk, then she'd better think again because I won't let her!' He thought to himself with determination. 'I'm a lot faster than she is!'

Inuyasha stood up to follow her, but Mrs. Higurashi pulled on his shirtsleeve to stop him. "Inuyasha dear, I know you want to be with Kagome since you just got married and all, but you can't leave!"

"Why not?" He bit out, caring little whether he sounded rude not.

"For one," Mrs. Higurashi pointed out. "You haven't eaten your breakfast. Number two, there is still the little matter of that list of chores I left for you to do."

Inuyasha stopped trying to shake her hand off his sleeve and got a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. "Uh, what list?"

Mrs. Higurashi sighed in exasperation. "You mean she didn't tell you about the list that I left with the toaster?"

"Toaster?"

"Your wedding gift."

Inuyasha blinked. "We got a wedding gift?"

Mrs. Higurashi sighed and instructed Inuyasha to sit back down and eat his breakfast. When he reluctantly did as she asked and began to shovel food into his mouth at an alarming rate, Kagome's mother had to stop herself from laughing. "I can already see that non-communication will be a big problem in your relationship."

The half dog demon stopped eating and stared at her blankly. "Huh?"

"Never mind." She answered hastily. "Now, about those chores…"

.

.

.

.

Okay, that chapter might have seemed pointless, but I am going somewhere with all of this, LOL! Will Kagome and Inuyasha pick up their little war where it left off, or will they finally get a clue about each other? Review! ^_^