InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Eien Ni Nakunatta Shunkan: A Moment Lost Forever ❯ Chapter 5: Wasuretamae ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Eien Ni Nakunatta Shunkan
Chapter 5: Wasuretamae

******************************************** ********


Sesshoumaru glided quickly back through the forest. That utterly bizarre chapter of his life when he traveled with a small human was over. No more questioning glances, no more struggles to find an explanation. The girl would be among her own kind, and his world would go back to normal. Rin was out of his life, and no longer his responsibility. Now he could simply forget. This was exactly what he wanted…so why didn't he feel better?

A familiar scent drifted through the breeze, causing him to pause. “Naraku,” he growled. No, wait, he corrected in his thoughts. There was a subtle difference. Something undeniably feminine coupled with an angry, slow-burning rage. The aura of a creature kept chained and imprisoned. He knew that scent anywhere. Kagura. Sesshoumaru slowed and immediately turned in the demoness' direction.

His eyes narrowed as her form finally came into view.

The demon woman lay concealed in the shadows of a towering yanagi tree. Her breath was labored, and her hands clutched at a gaping wound that extended across her shoulder and down her abdomen.

Kagura scowled up venomously as she watched the taiyoukai's slow, stealthy approach. “What can I say?” she called out. “Guess I underestimated that miserable wolf-pup!” She shrugged, the action causing her rent garments to slip down her white arms, baring her rather generous chest to the taiyoukai's gaze.

Sesshoumaru watched as both her lips and her winged eyebrows quirked. In the next moment, however, her casually cynical expression had suddenly changed back to deadly. “Once again, my lord, you've managed to get yourself a peek for free,” she growled, gesturing down to her breasts and struggling to rearrange her torn clothing. “Show's over. Now keep moving, kono yarou!” She attempted to raise her fan in warning. The demon lord threw her a clearly un-amused look.

“You are...as ever...in NO position to order me around,” he countered. His hand traveled down towards the ties of his hakama with exaggerated slowness.

Kagura licked her lips and raised her eyebrows again, this time rather suggestively. “Very interesting proposition, darling, but clearly, you can see I'm in no condition for THAT kind of fun right now!” she laughed sarcastically. “Another time, perhaps?”

Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes at her bawdy attempt at humor. Ama! The impertinent bitch! He finished reaching down, seeking for his swords, and not for the bindings of his clothing as the wind sorceress had suggested. Quickly, he drew Tenseiga from the crude sash he'd fashioned from his own ruined clothing.

Kagura scooted back in reflexive fear, the bark of the tree behind her digging uncomfortably into her already battered flesh. “So that's the Tenseiga?” she breathed, feeling a bit awed from the power she sensed radiating from the blade. “You needn't bother, you know...I'm dead anyway. All thanks to that bitch, Kikyou!” She seethed and spit and railed on, tapping her fan on her knee to the angry rhythm of her words. “Now Naraku knows I was aware of Inuyasha's `little secret' with the New Moon and that I didn't tell him. Plus, I let that pompous ass, Kouga, escape with his damn jewel shards! Even if you `help' me to heal, oh great Sesshoumaru-SAMA, it doesn't change the fact that Naraku STILL holds power over my life!”  She closed her eyes, sighing in defeat and general indignation. “Maybe it's better this way...better to die than remain a slave to the likes of him!”

“Be silent this instant, you foolish woman,” Sesshoumaru commanded, sweeping out to slice cleanly through her torso with Tenseiga despite her last protest. Kagura gasped at the strange heat coursing through her body. The demoness watched incredulously as her deep wounds knit back together under a haze of white light.

“Why did you help me?” she asked with wonder.

Sesshoumaru did not reply at first, not entirely sure of the answer himself, only smugly certain that his interference would serve to further infuriate her master. “Get up, bitch,” he finally intoned. “Naraku will not kill you. You amuse him far too much.” He turned and started to leave.

Kagura glowered after him in resentment at being dismissed so casually. She was already trapped by one evil demon, and it burned her pride to think she might now hold some kind of obligation to another. She could take care of herself, damn-it! Her sharp claws dug into her own palms, drawing pitch-black blood. She was the wind, for fuck's sake!

“Tell me,” Kagura called out, not enjoying the prospect of feeling indebted to Sesshoumaru in the slightest. “Is that ALSO the reason why you keep the sweet little girl? Just what manner of `amusement' do you derive from her, my dear Lord Sesshoumaru?”

The handsome demon snarled, and re-materialized before her in an eye-blink, seizing her throat roughly. Despite the lack of oxygen, Kagura managed to choke out a harsh laugh. Truly, that little comment was truly worth the temporary pain! She had never seen the taiyoukai this angry and unbalanced before! And all from simple words?! Ohhhh, Kagura gasped in her own mind. This could be so, so much fun...

Sesshoumaru glared down into the wind witch's flushed face. “That ningen no longer travels with this Sesshoumaru,” he remarked smoothly. “You would do well to remember that.”

“Hontou ni? Really?” Kagura brought up her delicate hand to trace the crimson stripes on his wrist. “Well, if you were looking for ways to reduce the number in your pathetic little entourage, I would have suggested ditching that filthy toad instead...revolting thing, isn't he?? Where the hell did you ever find him, anyway? What rock was he hiding under?”

Sesshoumaru continued to stare down at her, his face nothing more than an empty mask.

Kagura swirled her fingers against the steely softness of the taiyoukai's skin. “So, the girl's gone, huh?” she whispered, here tone bland and conversational, as if she were totally unaware of her current precarious position. “Probably for the best, she WOULD have gotten killed one of these days, doubtlessly in some VERY messy way! Far too trusting and, gods, SO naïve it bordered on stupid...”

Though he had ignored her last jibes, now Sesshoumaru reacted instantly to Kagura's casual mocking of Rin. “If it wasn't for that `stupid' girl, YOU would be dead,” he rumbled. “Or have you forgotten how she saved your miserable hide after your crushing defeat by Goryoumaru?!”

His hand tightened automatically, claws pinching inward and starting to draw her blood...

Kagura burst out with a garbled laugh. “Ohhh, my lord! Temper, temper!” she chided.

Sesshoumaru blinked in shock, instantly regretting his words. He felt his cheeks going hot at his own uncharacteristic outburst. Had he really just felt compelled to defend Rin yet AGAIN?

Kagura continued laughing, the sound a mixture of equal parts malice and disbelief. She'd actually hit a nerve!! her mind cheered in triumph. Her taunts had actually forced an impulsive reaction from the cold, unflappable taiyoukai! Simply delicious, she mused. She'd never seen the stoic demon lord this flustered, and she was thoroughly enjoying the prospect of riling him further.

Despite the unmistakable warning squeeze from the claws at her throat, Kagura sidled up against Sesshoumaru seductively. “Naraku may hold my heart now, but who knows?” she whispered. “Maybe, when this is all over, YOU can hold it instead.” She extended herself onto her tip-toes and trailed her hot tongue along the underside of his jaw. Sesshoumaru's expression darkened at the bold contact, but he remained neutral, neither pushing her away nor encouraging her into further action.

Kagura reached up slowly to ease his long fingers from her throat, dragging his large hand lower, bringing it down to close on a very full, and still very bare, breast. Simultaneously, she moved to run her free palm across his chest, wandering further and further, till she brushed against the thick length straining against the fabric of his hakama. “Hmmmm,” the demoness murmured appreciatively, eyes lighting with unmistakable desire. She sank to her knees before him; fingers tangled in the bindings of his clothing, fully prepared to see if she could coax him into a more impassioned response...

Sesshoumaru groaned. The first touch of her tongue was maddening. He reached out to support himself on a low hanging branch, momentarily debating whether or not he should allow his body to give in to the blatant call of his demon instincts. Though he would never be able to fully relax his guard with the treacherous bitch, it would be so easy to simply take what Kagura was so deliberately, so wantonly, so freely offering.

With a snarl, he drove his fingers into the simple bun holding her hair, pulling her head back to look down into her lust-filled ruby eyes. He suddenly found himself wishing that her eyes were a flirtatious, shy brown instead. The thought was immediately followed by an intense longing to meet a gaze that was serene and tranquil, instead of one so bold, covetous and corrupt.

He gasped, and shook his head quickly to rid himself of the OTHER all too familiar face that had suddenly forced its way into his mind and invaded his thoughts.

“No,” he hissed, pushing the wind witch away firmly, ignoring the heavy scent of her arousal in the air. “This will not occur. Dame!” He stumbled back and moved to rest for a moment, sliding down against the tree where he had initially found the demoness. He offered her a wave that was both curt and elegant, the gesture made in the practiced motion of a lord quite used to dismissing servants, a gesture meant to be instantly obeyed. Strangely exhausted, he turned and rested his head in his hands.

Kagura masked her disappointment rather well, rising to her feet with a small pout and a casual shrug. But inwardly, she smiled in triumph, recalling the mere seconds when Sesshoumaru's eyes had flown wide and his uncharacteristic look of pure panic. She reveled at thoughts of the emotions she had almost succeeding in dragging from him. She reveled in the memory of his expression, full of self-loathing and discovery and, yes, even the tiniest bit of fear. It was an expression that he somehow managed to smooth from his face almost as suddenly as it began...

“What's the matter, love? Not thinking of someone else, are we?” she jeered, offering a knowing grin. Growling, Sesshoumaru peered up at her through a screen of his long bangs and Kagura knew if his look could kill like his poison claws, she would have withered and died on the spot.

“So...what will you do now?” she finally asked, fanning herself with bored indifference.

“That is none of your concern,” he replied darkly. “It never was and it never will be.”

Sesshoumaru suddenly rose to his feet and Kagura backed away, instinctively knowing she had exhausted the limits of his patience and hospitality. But the taiyoukai walked past her without so much as a nod, as if he had already forgotten her presence.

He paused when he reached the edge of the clearing. “Return to your master,” he commanded, not even offering a backward glance. “Naraku is an arrogant fool who may yet accidentally reveal his weakness to you. Only be sure to tell him this: our fight is far from over. When I am finished he will wish he NEVER learned this Sesshoumaru's name.”

************************************************** ********

Within the hour, Sesshoumaru strode imperiously back into his own camp, interrupting Jaken's frantic pacing. The toad froze, seemingly paralyzed with fear. He was so frightened, in fact, that he even forgot to spout the declarations of fawning praise he normally offered at his lord's return. The customary rumble of greeting he always received from Aun was also noticeably absent. The beast chose instead to remain silent, staring forlornly into space with its twin heads tucked on its paws. With an undignified squawk, Jaken threw himself before the taiyoukai's feet, bulbous yellow eyes blinking up at him in consternation.

“This humble vassal,” Jaken began nervously, flinching up at the taiyoukai's stare. “This humble vassal does not presume to question his most EXALTED master, or his actions, but wonders...where is Rin? We know she...ummm...has displeased your lordship greatly, and w-we couldn't help but notice your most awe-inspiring transformation last night.” He faltered as if he couldn't even choke out his next words. “M-Master, you didn't...perhaps...d-devour the girl?” The toad looked like he might be violently ill but he continued on with a gulp, tapping his claws together in obvious distress. “After-all, it IS entirely within the your great power to so easily dispatch so lowly a ningen, but...s-she was a devoted servant, and I-I...”

Jaken found himself unable to finish his questioning, truly horrified about learning the answer to his sneaking suspicions. Aun's two head's rose instantly from their pouting, anxiously awaiting his master's response as well.

Sesshoumaru glowered back at them. “Jaken, shut up...the girl lives.” The demon lord paused to smooth his downy pelt and brushed at a spot on his ruined clothing. “The hanyou has taken over responsibility for her well-being now.”

Jaken's initial expression of relief that Rin was safe faded at the news of her current whereabouts. In his mind, he was unable to decide which fate was crueler...being snapped up in venomous jaws or being forced to endure the prolonged company of the insufferable half-breed.

“But...bu-but...” Jaken sputtered. He settled down as his lord cast him a dark look that clearly stated the subject was no longer up for discussion. “Hai, Master.”

Sesshoumaru's eyebrows twitched with curiosity as he watched the tiny demon move away, completely dejected, the Nintojyou dragging in the dust behind him. He couldn't believe this! Jaken was risking his `terrible' wrath to inquire about the Rin's fate?!? The ill-tempered, cantankerous old toad had initially taken the most time to adjust to the girl's stubborn presence...and look at him now!! Clearly, it would seem HE wasn't the only youkai in the group weakened by an insignificant slip of a human.

He could remember now how Jaken had originally struggled with Rin, discovering that the ruder he was in his treatment, the MORE the girl responded with kindness, composure and tenacity.

And, if that didn't work, with sharp, biting wit, Sesshoumaru noted inwardly, recalling the girl's obstinate nature and the limits to her patience. She simply wasn't the type who fell under bullying from anyone...with the exception of himself, of course. Unbidden, haunting images of Rin's face twisted in fear of his power and anger last night flashed through his mind.

But it couldn't be helped; he couldn't let her stay. He couldn't have her entertaining whatever childish fantasies were running through her mind any longer.

Or in HIS for that matter! Just how the HELL had she managed to invade his thoughts and interrupt what might have been a rather distracting, frenzied tryst with the wind-witch? It was still beyond his ability to comprehend.

Sesshoumaru sank cross-legged to relax before the small camp-fire, as Jaken perched on an overgrown stump, his clawed feet sticking out at odd angles. No one seemed sure how to act. Their simple routine had been completely altered in the space of just a few short hours. Trying to re-establish some sense of normality, Sesshoumaru looked out over his servants with a haughty, aristocratic sneer. Three anxious faces gazed intently back at him, as if waiting for some signal, some cue on how to behave. Their blatant stares only served to further remind him that a fourth familiar face, the one with the pair of warm hazel eyes, was missing.

He suddenly found he would trade almost anything to end the awkwardness and monotony and momentarily debated lowering himself to engage Jaken in a conversation to break the spell of silence.

He growled, and thought better of it, choosing to wander through his own thoughts instead.

Though Rin was no longer a rambunctious, chattering child, if SHE were here now there'd at least be SOME commotion in the camp. She'd either be lost in one of her teasing little spats with Jaken, or maybe humming some calming melody. The girl truly did have a charming voice. He quickly chose to focus on something else. He didn't need that little song she had invented all those years ago to get stuck in his head yet AGAIN. Revoltingly catchy tune.

Though he was loathe to admit it, somehow watching and listening to her had become an amusing distraction, a favorite past-time. The way she reacted to everything, emotions changing on her face so quickly it was dizzying...she kept nothing hidden or disguised.

None of that mattered now, he reminded himself. She was gone and they'd all forget. Inuyasha may have his faults, (many faults, he amended), but at least his stubborn pride would ensure he provided a suitable new home for the girl. And that saintly, annoying miko his brother had just taken as a mate! She, too, would definitely do her best to help the young woman adjust. He snorted. Impudent, interferring little cow! The self-righteous bitch probably had Rin's mind filled with pointless gossip and tales of his cruel nature! She was probably screaming like a harpy, screaming and cursing his name to the heavens already!

He could almost picture it.

Yes, without a doubt, his little Rin would become the talk of whatever poor, squalid village the half-breed deposited her in. The exotic, fragile orphan stolen into the wilds by some blood-thirsty demon. He suddenly felt a trace of alarm...what if they abused and beat her again? What if they didn't accept her and she remained an unwanted outsider?

No, he realized, that would never happen. She was beautiful, kindly and graceful, and they'd all be won over instantly by her gentle, inquisitive nature.

Especially the men.

They'd be after her without a moment's pause, competing for her favor, contending for her heart, lusting for her body. She was so innocent and trusting, endlessly alluring, pure...virgin. His amber eyes narrowed. Not for long though. Those vile creatures would make sure of that. The thought of some filthy ningen male putting his hands on her, of tainting her sweetness, made his chest burn with unexplained fury. Why did this matter? Let them have her! She would eventually lose any `charms' she possessed anyway, deteriorate, and grow feeble. She would bend with age, and a life full of labor, disease and suffering. Her silky hair would become brittle and white, her porcelain skin would sag from her worn frame in deep lines and wrinkles. Time would claim her and no one would remember her pathetic existence, least of all himself. He tried to force a cruel smirk to his face. These wicked thoughts, these wicked thoughts should have been bringing him more pleasure....

Gods! Why was he still contemplating this AT ALL??

It's alright
, he reminded himself. It was only natural that he should still be pre-occupied with Rin; he had only just given her up.

He closed his eyes and sucked in a deep breath. Just concentrate on Inuyasha sealed and pinned to a tree, as the moss and vines grew all around him. Remember him just hanging there. Nothing more than a ridiculous, half-dead monument commemorating his family's ultimate disgrace. Think of the mold and leaves and snow littering his robes, and the years flying by. Remember Chichiue looking upon those ungrateful humans with compassion and mercy while he and Hahaue trembled before Ryukossei and received none. Just writhing in the dirt and the blood and the sour scent of their own terror. Think of Naraku mocking you...

There. You HATE her.

He rose quickly, surprising the lightly dozing Jaken.

“Okirou! Get up,” he ordered; prodding the toad with his foot for emphasis. “We are going home.”

************************************************** ***

Author's Note:

*Yes, as you can tell the overall rating is climbing as I get braver! And, once again, sorry about the typos. I proof-read and proof-read but I always manage to miss something COMPLETELY obvious! I know what I'm trying to write, so sentences get stuck in my head and then I totally miss the mistake on the page! Oh well! I guess it could be worse.

*Trying to update and move this story along quickly as it appears the Inuyasha manga is winding down to the Sengoku Jidai's version of Apocalypse Now. And I'm getting nervous about the very real possibility of character deaths (would certainly blow a few holes in my little tale should Takahashi have Sess or Kagura die next week!). NOTE: I actually decided to include mention of an incident in a recent installment where Rin helps pull Kagura from a stream after getting blasted by a mighty icky baddie...in case anyone was confused!

*Oh, concerning Kagura - Couldn't resist throwing in that little bit of harmless, citrus fun. Don't worry though, no love triangles...we're forced to endure them so much in the actual series, I that figured I'd spare us all the aggravation, headaches, and screams of “BAKA, BAKA, BAKA” here. Sigh - someone BETTER end up with Sesshoumaru though. If he dies in typical vague-anime-anti-hero fashion I will scream. Who knows though? I might have to try the Sess/Kagura fic next!