InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Eien Ni Nakunatta Shunkan: A Moment Lost Forever ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 10: Odoroki

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Rin's fingers clenched around her new weapon nervously as she rehearsed her carefully prepared speech one last time in her mind: `Ojiisama, may I please borrow Momo for a longer journey? I think I'd like to go to the miko's village. I'm finally feeling ready to meet other people and, after all, Kagome-sama did invite me. I'll be alright; I won't get in any trouble.' It sounded like a perfectly reasonable request --- so why was she having so much trouble asking?

She paced compulsively and peeked in on her master again. Totosai was hard at work at the fireside and seemed oblivious to her presence. Rin took a deep, steadying breath to calm her inner turmoil and exhaled slowly. She took a small step into the forge, but promptly lost her nerve again. The young woman ducked back out into the corridor, cursing her indecision.

Totosai couldn't suppress his warm chuckle --- that was the fourth time Rin snuck a timid glance at him, only to run off again. She must have something VERY important on her mind. And, considering her recent travels and bold behavior as of late, he had a pretty good idea of what it was!

Rin had not grown tired of exploring all of the local trails, and had learned each and every rocky crag and deep crevasse like the back of her own small hand. But now there was simply nothing new left for her to discover here. Totosai scowled. The only thing on their steep slope that ever seemed to change these days was the rapidly increasing level of snow!

When the girl wasn't patrolling the mountain peak or peacefully sketching and carving by the hearth, she filled her time by practicing with her naginata. Gaining control of the spear had done wonders for her self-esteem and she didn't seem so damn reckless and desperate to prove her worth anymore. But he could tell she was rapidly becoming frustrated again, and he hated seeing her so trapped, smothered and stifled.

Totosai's shoulders slumped in sympathy. Maybe his plan to keep the girl hidden away wasn't so brilliant after all. This high, lonely peak was the perfect place for a somewhat cranky old man like himself, but Rin was a vivacious young woman. Too much of her life had been spent in relative isolation already! His wrinkled face puckered into a fierce pout. She DID need to experience new things, damnit!

Enough was enough! Quietly as he could, he tip-toed over to the hallway and waited patiently for her to stick her little head around the corner again.

Simultaneously, on the other side of the rock wall, Rin had crept back to the doorway, and pressed herself flat against its smooth stone surface. `Okay, this is it --- get a hold of yourself!' She hissed in her mind. After all, if she wasn't even bold enough to ask the question, how could she even think she was ready to be off on her own?! She took another deep breath, gathered her courage and stepped across the threshold --- only to find Totosai's whiskery face mere inches from her own.

"Well, it's about time." he quipped sarcastically.

Rin shrieked and promptly fell on her backside in her great surprise to find the old demon waiting expectantly right in front of her. "Ohhh!" she whispered, rising unsteadily and slapping the dust off her rear, "I HATE it when you do that!"

Totosai flashed a mostly-toothless grin and reached down to clap her on her shoulder. "Well, now that you finally decided to join me, what can I do for you, young lady?" he asked with a sly smile. "I assume there's something you want to ask and that we're not playing some new version of hide and seek!"

Rin blushed. She must look like an idiot! "Ummm, well, YES - in fact, there is something I'd like to request." She paused to collect her nerve again.

"May - May I please, PLEASE borrow Momo to leave the mountain for a few days? I just want to see what's going on out there!" she pleaded haltingly. "We haven't seen another soul in ages, not since Sessho ---" She trailed off awkwardly for the slightest of moments. Damn --- why did it still even hurt to say his name?

She shook her head quickly to clear the memory of that cold, handsome face, and resumed her inarticulate rambling. "Anyway, no one's come here since that night with S-Sesshoumaru-sama and well, you know, that DIDN'T exactly count as a social call." Gods - this little speech was not sounding as eloquent or rational as it had in her mind! She imagined that this is what Jaken must have felt like all those times he squirmed and squawked while making a request or delivering unfavorable news to their lord! Maybe she should have been a little more sympathetic toward the small toad's plight!

She bit her lip fretfully and forced herself to continue. "And speaking of Sesshoumaru-sama, you heard it yourself when HE was here! He said he was tracking another demon! He's probably far, far away right now! So I'll be safe! Plus, I've been practicing --- with this!" She rattled the naginata for emphasis.

"And I'll be careful! I won't go looking for trouble --- and --- and --- Kagome-sama invited me anyway!" She concluded in a breathless huff, watching in apprehension as Totosai stared at her with an amused twinkle in his beady eyes.

"Okay, sure." He said with a simple shrug, turning to resume his work.

Rin blinked. That was it?! It was that easy? "Honto ni?" she asked dazedly.

Totosai laughed back at her shocked expression. "I can't keep you here, girl. This place is your new HOME, not a prison. I'll protect you as best I can, but I've always known you won't be able to hide forever. Besides, I've come upon you staring down the mountain all too often these days --- you look like you wish you were far away. It hurts to see you look so sad." Totosai let out a sigh. "Better you go quickly now, anyway, before we get buried and trapped under a few MORE feet of snow!"

Rin gave a slow, brilliant smile. "Thank you! Thank you!" she shouted in enthusiasm.

Totosai beamed proudly. In the few months since she'd come to live with him, he hadn't seen her THIS happy. EVER.

With a girlish squeal, Rin raced back to her room to clean herself up and pack her gear. She decided to take a quick bath, visualizing possible scenarios of greeting dozens of strangers as she soaked and scrubbed. What would it be like to be around scores of unfamiliar villagers again? What would they think of her? What should she say if someone inquired about her life or her past? And what the HELL would she do if the hanyou and his friends were traveling elsewhere when she arrived?

She shook her head --- it was pointless to fret about it so much! She supposed she'd just have to wait and deal with whatever came along! Besides, she'd faced far scarier things in the relatively short years of her life!

Rin hopped out of the warm pool, splashing water all over the floor in her haste. She combed out her long, wet hair, fully prepared to style it in the usual manner. The young woman suddenly caught a look at her pale image reflected back from the shadowy mineral spring. Her breath died in her throat.

Despite the obvious and pronounced changes that time had granted to her body, she still looked like such a silly little girl. She dropped her hair ribbon and watched it flutter slowly to the dark floor.

She reached up to smooth down her bangs gently, brushing them into a soft part and tucking a few of the longer, more uncooperative strands back behind her tiny ears. There. This was more like the style a GROWN woman would wear. She tugged her pale green kimono back on, and pulled it tighter around her frame than she usually did. It wasn't as comfortable to wear like this, but at least now her trim figure wasn't quite so hidden and shapeless anymore. The young woman shoved out her chest experimentally, pivoting around to critique her form from every angle. She set her hands on her hips and frowned --- she still wasn't used to all these new curves!

Rin suddenly remembered Kagome's face on that long ago evening at the stream --- she hadn't forgotten that soft, beckoning look of pure desire that the miko had given the hanyou as he held her tightly in his arms. She stared into the water and flashed what she thought was a close approximation of that particular expression down at her rippling reflection. `Okay - now, just make your eyes look a little sleepier, flutter your lashes like there's something stuck in them, and part your lips like you're about to taste something delicious --- perfect!' The young woman stared down at the stranger looking back at her and burst out laughing. Gods - she looked ridiculous!

Rin gave up trying to appear more womanly and mature with a small snort of mock-contempt. She casually smoothed a fine white obi around her skinny waist and gave an impatient sigh. Better to just be herself.

Within the next hour, she had packed some light provisions and a few simple metal-works she could present as gifts. Momo was already waiting impatiently on the ledge, apparently just as excited to be off these icy slopes as she was. Rin imagined that the fat bull would be insistent that they make MORE than a few little detours; he never could pass up a green field where he could graze and roll, after all. She grabbed her extra winter robe and a thick cloak to be safe, readjusted her grip on her light spear, and pulled herself onto the animal's broad back. She bent down, giving the suddenly too-quiet Totosai a light peck on the cheek.

"Now stay out of trouble!" her guardian abruptly ordered, chasing behind her as the bull plodded to the edge of the cliff. "Momo knows the way; you just sit back and let him guide you!"

"I will! I promise!" she yelled over her shoulder as the hulking creature lurched off into the air. "Don't worry - I'll be back soon!" Her final shout of goodbye was drowned out by the gusting wind.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

So --- this was the wretched little village that the hanyou called home?

Sesshoumaru scowled and wrinkled his nose. He did not understand how his brother could endure this place. The scents of smoldering cooking fires and spoiling meat drifted unpleasantly through the breeze, and the rank odors of sickness and sweaty peasants with less than immaculate hygiene clung heavily all around him. "Truly disgusting." he muttered softly to himself. Damn - it was almost as bad as Totosai's forge.

The great taiyoukai lingered concealed within the uppermost boughs of a large tree, keeping watchful vigil over the main square. He supposed he should be at least somewhat grateful for the predictable and offensive nature of most humans. After all, with all this bustling activity, clamoring noise and foul odor, he would hardly need to waste any of his vast power to conceal his youki from his half-brother's pitiful senses!

He was still greatly angered and distressed by the old tree's claims about Tenseiga, and his mind was full of desperate questions that he wasn't completely sure he was prepared to have answered yet. But, all in all, his frenzied wrath had cooled considerably over the short span of his journey to this wretched place. Despite his nagging suspicions and doubts, his customarily cool intellect had won out in the end. He had decided to attempt to remain leveled-headed and composed until he had thoroughly evaluated the current situation. Though it would be admittedly QUITE satisfying to set these useless humans fleeing in mortal terror, he would NOT charge blindly into this miserable village ---

He would NOT make a fool of himself again over a tiny slip of a ningen girl that he should have forgotten months ago.

AND - He would NOT compromise his dignity over some wild, fanciful tale about the full purpose of his sword.

Old Bokuseno simply HAD TO BE MISTAKEN. Though Chichiue did hold faith in some rather whimsical and over-idealized notions, he would not leave HIM a blade with such a ridiculous power and function. Sesshoumaru stroked his chin thoughtfully. He considered the last words of their final conversation all those years ago, as father prepared to charge off to save that simpering human bitch while still gravely wounded from his continuing fight with Ryukossei. One overly sentimental statement in particular had always lingered in his mind to haunt him: "You'll understand my actions one day, my son, when YOU finally find someone to cherish and protect." He shivered reflexively, dismissed his wandering thoughts, and settled back to the task at hand.

His flawless face held no emotion as he stared down upon the humans far below him. The clueless creatures went about their daily routines, completely unaware of his menacing presence. Beleaguered mothers scolded their filthy brats, summoning them home from their games with loud, demanding calls. The local farmers had gathered with their drinks and were chatting inanely about the recent weather and their meager harvests. A few of the younger men swaggered about to hang bright lanterns, providing illumination along the narrow lanes in anticipation of the coming darkness. The predatory youkai flashed a cruel smile. The additional lighting would not help them this night, he mused.

His plan was astonishingly simple: he would wait from this high vantage point until he caught a glimpse of Rin and, within moments, his great senses would confirm the truth. He would instantly perceive that she was merely an ordinary HUMAN girl and that no trace of his youki remained trapped within her. Bokuseno's preposterous account would be proven false and he would be free to continue on his way. END OF STORY.

Of course, he smiled cleverly; the most ingenious part of his whole scheme was the fact that he would never even have to reveal his presence. In the end, no one would be the wiser of his little visit --- not Inuyasha, not any of his obnoxiously interfering friends, and, least of all, certainly not RIN herself. Sesshoumaru sighed. It was truly a faultless arrangement --- he would not even have to look into her warm, trusting eyes.

He watched intently as giggling village girls came to the communal well to gossip and draw water one last time before complete darkness fell upon them. Perfect. This would be over even faster than he anticipated. Any second now he would single out the small, graceful figure of his former companion. He would see that familiar silhouette --- complete with that damn crooked ponytail which never seemed to tame those thick waves of unruly, windblown hair. At any moment, he would hear her gentle voice and soft, pleasant laughter. Sesshoumaru released a breath he didn't even realize he was holding, shifted his weight, and peered down anxiously.

But long minutes dragged by and still Rin did not appear. He crouched lower on the wide branch, almost as if prepared to spring, and squinted for a better look. The peasant women had finished their evening tasks and ignorant chatter, and were returning hastily to their homes. Sesshoumaru scowled. Why did SHE not join these others? Maybe his original worries had come to pass and Rin did not fit in among her age-mates? Or --- could it be --- could it be that someone HAD already claimed her as a mate? Was she even now curled up beside some wretched human boy? Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed and he felt an unknown tightness in his chest coupled with a strong, unfamiliar knot of emotion. Damn - he couldn't understand why he was suddenly feeling so on edge again, especially when he had much greater problems to deal with!

Besides --- so what if he didn't SEE her now?! That meant nothing. There were other ways to locate the young woman. He forced himself to draw in a deep breath, ignoring the distracting odors of the squalid village to focus solely on identifying the girl's current whereabouts. A small noise of confusion escaped his throat and he frowned, clearly puzzled. There was absolutely no hint of Rin's presence here. Sesshoumaru leapt gracefully from bough to bough in disbelief, moving steadily closer to the modest huts and dusty lanes. He glided down to the forest floor, and stalked through the dense thickets, batting the clinging foliage away from his face in agitation. He paused to draw another deep breath.

There. The hanyou was most definitely here, along with his annoying woman, and usual companions --- but there was still no indication of Rin. Sesshoumaru turned and bounded swiftly through the flooded rice fields of the outlying farms for the better part of an hour. Maybe she had been taken in by one of these poor families? He completed a rough circle around the perimeter of the entire settlement and drew in a final searching breath in utter incredulity. Not ONE trace of her sweet scent lingered here --- not now, and not in the recent past.

His golden eyes widened in shock. Rin had NEVER been in this village.

The taiyoukai immediately found that he had NO further desire to calm the rage he'd been suppressing. A deep, hateful growl began to build in his chest. Inuyasha was going to DIE.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Inuyasha tossed petulantly on his futon. His bed was empty AGAIN. He had retired early for the night, leaving Kagome lost in yet another deep `girlie' conversation with Sango. When those two had something to discuss, there was simply no interrupting.

Inuyasha sighed resignedly. Well, they did have a lot to talk over these days, after all ---

Soon after they had returned from the little journey to Totosai's mountain, they had made a rather startling discovery --- Kagome WAS pregnant.

The hanyou rearranged his pillow absently, wishing his life was just as easy to resettle! He clearly remembered the night of the previous new moon and how he'd first learned about the shocking revelation. He recalled the curious way his little miko come out of the small bathroom adjoining her frilly bedroom with that stunned expression of shock. Her ashen-face, wide eyes, and that strange, dazed smile of delight had given her secret away instantly. After all, he'd seen THAT same look before when Sango had made her own blushing announcement three years ago. He'd immediately known his situation before Kagome could even open her mouth to deliver the news ---

After all those years of proceeding slowly, after all those days of silent longing, and building their trust and faith in one another bit by bit, it was funny just how quickly caution had been thrown to the sidelines!

Inuyasha drew the thin blankets tighter around his frame and frowned. Maybe he should have gone easier on Miroku and not teased him so damn much --- the priest was right, he HAD cursed himself! Still, it wasn't SO bad, he thought, suddenly feeling that bizarre, giddy swell of pride he always got whenever he imagined holding Kagome AND a little one.

Over the years, he had truly come to love the woman, and all the wonderful things she brought to his life. It was amazing --- he couldn't even imagine spending his days without HER in them. He would remain fiercely committed to doing anything to keep them safe, and was adamantly resolved to making his future child's life better than his own. He just fervently prayed he wouldn't end up like HIS father and hoped could stay alive long enough!

After all, there were still two loose ends that dampened his optimism and excitement --- Naraku and the Shikon no Tama. The hanyou could never forget his original quest, and was still leery about his future prospects and the wicked creature's prolonged disappearance. That last major skirmish was still very much a blur to him, and those grave wounds had made it impossible for him to last all the way through to its conclusion. Inuyasha still wondered just what had transpired between his half-brother and his arch-enemy after he escaped the battlefield. He only KNEW, without a doubt, that Sesshoumaru hadn't killed Naraku! The fucking stuck-up, infuriatingly arrogant taiyoukai would not have been able to resist rubbing that fact in his face if HE'D finally achieved victory where a `miserable, lowly' hanyou had failed for so many years.

He growled angrily. No --- Naraku was alive and wouldn't stay silent or hidden forever.

But, in the meantime, he deserved some damn happiness for a change! The half demon turned restlessly and let out another sigh of aggravation.

Inuyasha was suddenly distracted from his thoughts as a black shadow crossed the threshold. He felt the abrupt chill of the autumn air as the screen mat blocking the door was swiftly brushed aside. "Kagome?" he whispered softly.

There was no reply. The hanyou's keen ears twitched at the sound of the slightest of steps on the rough wooden floor. It seemed like his mate was feeling frisky and playful tonight. She trying to sneak up on him?! Damn - she was getting good! If her cautious approach had been any stealthier, he might not have heard it at all!

"Kagome," he murmured sensuously, "come to bed, koibito." There was a sudden weight on the futon and he grinned in anticipation. The hanyou turned, blinked sleepy eyes and smiled invitingly, only to be met with a jaw-splitting punch to the face. What the hell ----

Inuyasha shook his head wildly to clear his disorientation. He leapt from the tangled covers, and stared up into the blazing eyes of --- Sesshoumaru?!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~