InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Eien Ni Nakunatta Shunkan: A Moment Lost Forever ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

No Inuyashas or Inuyasha-tachi were harmed in the making of this chapter! Ha ha!!

Chapter: 11 Tatakai

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Inuyasha gaped up at his elder brother in disbelief. What the hell?!

Sesshoumaru?!

The malevolent creature standing before him was SO unfamiliar. The taiyoukai did not even remotely seem like the rational, balanced and collected rival he had fought and competed against for all these years!

Sesshoumaru's pale, normally impassive features were twisted in undisguised, unrestrained fury. The fine, silky length of his silvery hair was pulled into a high ponytail that only seemed to further emphasize the broadening crimson stripes slicing across his cheekbones. The taiyoukai was dressed in a rich, black haori that would have allowed him to blend in perfectly with the murky shadows --- if not for his glowing red eyes and the shock of white fur across his shoulder, of course. Besides trading in his customary robes of pristine ivory, it also seemed that Sesshoumaru had recently acquired an even more imposing piece of body armor. With a dour frown, the hanyou grimly realized he would have to adjust his customary fighting style to avoid being impaled on those more numerous, farther jutting spikes and barbs.

Inuyasha's quick appraisal of his brother's altered appearance was over in a mere matter of seconds. "What the fuck do you wa ---!?!" he began to bellow, gesturing wildly with his hands. Before he could even finish sputtering his indignant cry of outrage, however, he was abruptly struck again and silenced by a fierce back-handed blow.

"Damare! I appointed you with a small task, otouto," Sesshoumaru spat out bitterly, "One it seems you that you have obviously FAILED. Now, where is the GIRL?"

The great demon paced around the room in smooth, measured steps, though his hostile expression continued to grow more aggressive by the minute.

Inuyasha's eyes widened in dawning comprehension. He laughed scornfully, and absently wiped a trickle of blood from his lower lip with the back of his hand. Sesshoumaru had come for RIN? Why the sudden interest after all these months? Judging by the taiyoukai's obvious wrath and anger, the young woman's prospects did not look very good at all.

The hanyou resolved not to answer any of his brother's questions, and fixed him with a look of equal loathing and malice instead. He stubbornly gritted his teeth. Sesshoumaru's first two blows were nothing more than a couple of cheap shots and he was eager to continue the fight and draw some blood himself! The half-demon reached back for the Tetsusaiga, hidden close at hand and concealed beneath the rumpled pillows of the nearly destroyed futon.

"What's the matter, Sesshoumaru?" he shot back venomously, as soon as his hand closed around the polished sheath. "Starting to realize what a son of a bitch you are? Come back to ruin the girl's life some more? Didn't you destroy her enough already?"

Sesshoumaru felt a quick, inexplicable stab of fear. Destroy? Was that the reason for Rin's absence? Had something befallen her? Had she hurt herself? Wait --- why did he care?! And why was he allowing this insufferable bastard to test his rights and challenge his authority anyway?

"What I do with the girl is NO concern of yours, half-breed." He countered.

"Oh no?" Inuyasha quipped sarcastically, "Well, she became MY concern when you dropped her at MY feet --- remember?!"

Sesshoumaru opened his mouth to deliver a scathing retort, but snapped it shut just as quickly. Try as he might, he found he could not think of a suitable rebuttal. Impossible. He simply could not lose in a verbal war with this dull, slow-witted creature! He blinked rapidly and shook his head in annoyance. Since he momentarily couldn't fire back with cutting words, he opted instead for a surprise slash with his whip. With the slightest flick of his wrist, the coil of green energy and acid shot out instantly, sending the hanyou crashing back through the nearest wall.

Inuyasha cursed and rose from the damp grass with exaggerated slowness. He gave a low, disrespectful chuckle, and paused to brush the many splinters from his red hakama. "Temee --- fucking son of a bitch --- I'm not telling you anything --- not now! NOT EVER!" he roared, "I'll rip your fucking head off! Maybe that'll control your over-blown ego!"

Sesshoumaru laughed haughtily in response. "You just never learn, do you?" he asked, as his eyebrows arched in dark amusement. "You leave me no choice then, Inuyasha. I'll simply pound the answer out of your worthless hide, even if I have to break EVERY bone in your pathetically fragile body." His voice lowered to a deadly whisper, "At least the enjoyment of hearing you beg for mercy will compensate me for the annoying loss of my time." The taiyoukai smiled in secret delight, and flexed his claws in anticipation. For the longest time, he had been lusting after real combat with a worthy opponent, and, at the present moment, could think of NO other creature he'd rather see in pain than his miserable half-brother.

Predictably, Inuyasha merely cursed and snorted at the ruthless threats. "Keh - come on, bastard!" he shouted. "I'd like to see you try." In a practiced motion, he hastily drew the Tetsusaiga from its scabbard.

Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed and he drew Toukijin in perfunctory response. The two opponents began to prowl around each other slowly --- stalking one another warily, and looking for the perfect opening to begin the fight. Inuyasha laughed in contempt and tried to goad his older brother with his usual obstinate bravado.

"So, what do you think, aniki?" he challenged, "Maybe I should claim your right arm this time?" He waved his blade for emphasis. "After all, I've already taken the left one once! How LONG was it for that to grow back again?" The taiyoukai merely smiled blandly, though his eyes clearly burned with rage at the casual mention of that long ago pain and defeat.

Inuyasha chose to charge at that moment, swinging the Tetsusaiga in a wide arc with blatant disregard for the narrow confines of the small room or the items held within. Sesshoumaru blocked the blow effortlessly, and snaked out his free hand to rake his poison talons across the hanyou's exposed ribs. Inuyasha grunted in shock and spun nimbly back out of reach, thrusting out with his sword again to keep his brother from advancing as he prepared his next attack.

The furious taiyoukai didn't give his brother any time to recoil and regroup, however. He knew the hanyou's options were limited and that he would never dare to use the Kaze no Kizu in such close proximity to all these `innocent' villagers. Sesshoumaru laughed --- he was under no such pitiful restraint or foolish sense of obligation! In the next instant, a mighty shockwave of power burst forth from Toukijin and the remaining walls of the flimsy hut came crumbling down all around them with a resounding crash. Through the dust and smoke, he lashed out swiftly with his tail. The coughing half-breed was caught up tightly, and Sesshoumaru found he couldn't resist squeezing the remaining breath from his already burning lungs. The taiyoukai leapt from the smoldering ruins, pulling the constricted hanyou to the dizzying heights of the tree tops. He spun Inuyasha violently and released him in mid-air, smirking with self-satisfaction as he watched the somewhat dazed form of his half-brother hurtle wildly back down to earth.

Inuyasha shook his head to clear his disorientation and rose from the dusty crater formed by his jarring impact. Once more, there was simply no moment to recuperate and recover, and he brought his fist up just in time to block a brutal kick aimed towards his stomach. When Sesshoumaru overconfidently lunged to close in on him again, the hanyou was finally ready and responded with a hard, unforgiving slash from Tetsusaiga. The taiyoukai snarled in surprise and leapt back.

Sesshoumaru paused to coolly inspect the deep, heavily bleeding laceration across his forearm. That bastard had actually managed to draw his blood again! He growled in pure animal fury and pressed his assault with renewed ferocity. The taiyoukai ducked easily under Tetsusaiga's next strike and slammed into the hanyou with all his strength. He caught his struggling brother around the shoulders in a powerful lock, and pinned his arms and sword helplessly to his side.

Sesshoumaru dragged Inuyasha back, digging his claws into a sensitive white ear and reveling in the immediate choked cry of pain.

"I DESPISE YOU - YOU USELESS, WORTHLESS, HONOR-LESS BASTARD!!" he thundered, slamming the half-demon up into a tree at every spoken syllable. Victory seemed near at hand, and he leaned in close, wanting to see the hanyou's eyes when he finally admitted defeat.

Much to his chagrin, Inuyasha merely screamed back in defiance. "WELL --- I FUCKING HATE YOU MORE!"

The trapped half-demon suddenly found the strength to sweep one arm free. He reached back over his brother's shoulder and pushed firmly up on Sesshoumaru's jaw, trying to force those cruel fangs away from his throat by any means necessary. At the same instant, he kicked down hard on the taiyoukai's knee, and grabbed fistfuls of his long, trailing ponytail to pull his head back further. Sesshoumaru hissed in anger, but ignored the sharp sting at his scalp and only tightened his grip. He twisted and rammed in with his armored left shoulder, smiling as the hanyou's bare chest was scrapped raw by the grating spikes of his sode. Gods - he was getting tired of this. The half-breed was simply not smart enough to ever admit defeat and would never tell him what he needed to know.

Sesshoumaru growled. To complicate matters further, he could now hear the excited chatter and buzz of numerous humans. It seemed that the villagers were finally conquering their initial fear and were currently coming forward to investigate the clamor and commotion.

Inuyasha had also noted the sound of the rapidly approaching villagers as well, and, despite his many wounds, struggled back to his feet again with a sudden look of fear. Sesshoumaru watched in dry amusement as the half-demon abruptly turned to race away. He knew instinctively that the hanyou wasn't withdrawing out of cowardice! Inuyasha was attempting to act as a decoy --- trying to lure him away and pull the battle into a place of his own choosing! One look at his uncharacteristically nervous expression confirmed it all.

Sesshoumaru would not take the bait. Instead, he wheeled and spun in an astonishing somersault, landing behind his half-brother to effectively cut off his deliberate retreat. The hanyou was obviously trying to keep him away from SOMEONE in particular! And it didn't take much thought or consideration to figure out `whom' ---

SHE was nearly upon them, after all!

There was the sudden sound of light steps racing hurriedly through the brush, and an alarmed feminine cry. Inuyasha's white ears jerked forward in panic, as an evil smile alighted on the taiyoukai's face. Sesshoumaru inhaled deeply, and watched as all color drain from the hanyou's face. "How sweet!" he taunted, "that would be the miko, of course! As always her timing is perfect. As you don't seem to fear for yourself, perhaps I'll have to let your woman's suffering loosen your tongue!" In a flash of dizzying speed, the taiyoukai was gone.

"NOOO!" Inuyasha screamed, racing belatedly after his half-brother.

At that very instant, Kagome crashed into the clearing. She had raced all the way back from Sango and Miroku's hut in terror as soon as she'd seen the rising plumes of black smoke and heard the unmistakable sounds of battle. She shook her head slowly in denial, still not daring to believe all the destruction was occurring at her own home! The miko automatically dropped to the ground the second she registered Inuyasha's strangled howl. She gasped in shock as a tangle of red, black and white blurred past her, and then screamed in terror as the rolling, snarling figures came into focus. Inuyasha was fighting with --- SESSHOUMARU?! Both brothers were bruised and bleeding heavily, and Kagome's heart lurched in cold fear. She had never seen them clash like this --- not even in those early days! This was no test, and they were not competing over something --- they were really trying to kill one another!

Inuyasha attempted to spare a quick glance at Kagome to check her safety and distance from the fray. That split-second, that one little look, was all Sesshoumaru needed. He thrust Toukijin cleanly through the distracted half-breed's side, and delivered a vicious blow to his stunned face, releasing a full blast of poison. Inuyasha stumbled to his knees, and clawed madly at his eyes, trying to relieve the awful burn. Sesshoumaru turned swiftly and moved in on his next target in another lightning-quick attack. He pulled the miko up from the forest floor roughly, and dragged her back up into the lower branches of a tall tree.

The taiyoukai stared down at the wounded hanyou impassively. "I know you can't see right now, otouto." He gloated with teasing slowness. "But I can be most kind and describe your bitch to you. I can assure you, at the moment, she is QUITE terrified."

Sesshoumaru looked over Kagome's shaking form and suppressed a chuckle at her obvious `condition'. Unbelievable. This woman was carrying his half-brother's child already? He shook his head in slow, mocking disapproval. "Now --- what will it be? The information I require or your mate's life? Or I should say, your mate AND your pup's life? You didn't tell me I was going to be an ojisan --- but then again," He smoothed his hand over the miko's slightly rounded belly while Inuyasha growled in helpless rage, "maybe I won't be after all."

Sesshoumaru felt Kagome's powers flare in determined self-defense and he watched as a pale pink aura began to build around her. He was fully prepared for this event, however, knowing all too well of a mother's desperate longing to protect her children, even in the face of death and insurmountable odds.

"I would NOT do that, priestess." He chided in a soft, deadly whisper. "You may manage to cause me temporary pain with your ridiculous power, but think of your child. Think of the youki in its blood, pathetic and polluted as it might be. Do you honestly think your unborn mongrel could survive should you attempt to `purify' me?"

Kagome let out a harsh sob of fear and instantly relaxed into the cold demon's steely grip. "What do you want?" she bit out in a scathing whisper, gazing down into the unfocused eyes of her wounded mate. Inuyasha shook his head vaguely in silent apology and dread.

"I only want what is mine." Sesshoumaru answered quietly. "Now --- where is the girl?"

"Rin?!" Kagome squeaked in panic. Is that what this was all about?! "You're looking for Rin?"

"Who else, miko," he breathed into her ear. "Answer me --- NOW." He tightened his hand dramatically against the woman's belly again.

That small motion was Inuyasha's breaking point. Though he could not see what was happening, he could hear the tell-tale, soft rustle of cloth as his brother's clawed hand dragged --- he could smell the immediate sharp spike in Kagome's fear.

Inuyasha snarled and hurled Tetsusaiga as far away from himself as he could. He didn't want the sword now anyway, and his instincts were clamoring at him to let go. He wanted nothing more than to sink his fangs into flesh, and to use his sharp claws to rip out his brother's black heart. He was past caring, past hope, and past any thought but getting Sesshoumaru's bloodstained hands off of his mate. Rage was boiling inside him, screaming at him to kill this vicious predator. For the first time in his life, he welcomed his uncontrolled transformation and the added power it would grant him. He only hoped it was enough. Inuyasha felt his mind begin to cloud and he charged blindly towards Sesshoumaru with a savage roar, taking the taiyoukai nearly by complete surprise.

Sesshoumaru blinked in shock. That idiot had purposefully abandoned the Tetsusaiga and was welcoming youkai rampage?! His brother's stupidity was truly boundless! Sesshoumaru cursed and shoved the terrified miko into Inuyasha's path to stall him. The woman's shriek was cut off as she collided viciously with the charging demon. The pair tumbled to the hard ground with Inuyasha twisting instinctively to absorb the brunt of the fall. Sesshoumaru leapt higher into the tree branches to glare down upon them in continued frustration. Kagome groaned weakly and slipped into unconsciousness as the bleeding hanyou cradled her in his arms.

Inuyasha dragged in deep, panting breaths as he searched Kagome's form for injuries. His proximity to the woman and the strength of her holy powers had caused him to regain some control over his mind and thoughts. All this pain --- all because of Sesshoumaru! Why?! He turned accusing, blind eyes towards his older brother.

"RIN?! This is all about Rin?" he shouted, "You cruel bastard! I don't care what you've done to me! I can understand you hating my `dirty-blood'! But that girl never did anything but CARE for you! You selfish son of a bitch! You kept her! You arrogant, cold-hearted --- You MADE her what she is, warped her heart and mind so they revolved around NOTHING BUT YOURSELF! Then you threw her away and left her without a word! Left her to exist for nearly all time with nothing but ---" Inuyasha's mouth snapped shut with a gasp, realizing he might have said TOO much in his scathing tirade.

Sesshoumaru's eyes widened and blood turned to ice. What did the hanyou just say? EXIST FOR ALL TIME?

Bokenseno had spoken the TRUTH. Inuyasha had just inadvertently confirmed it. Tenseiga HAD done something to Rin.

But how the hell would the mongrel know? How could he learn about the sword's powers? Who else knew about the great blades? Sesshoumaru's eyes darted wildly and his cunning mind leapt to the only possible conclusion. "Totosai." he gritted. Son of a bitch! He flashed a wicked mockery of a smile.

Inuyasha blanched when he heard the old smith's name spoken out loud. "Fuck ---" Sesshoumaru had suddenly become way too quiet again. Somebody was going to die.

"Wait!" the hanyou barked.

As he charged away on a cloud of youki, Sesshoumaru dimly heard the hanyou cry out for the rest of his pathetic friends. It wouldn't be long now before he was pursued by the other members of his half-brother's ragged circle of clinging companions. Good --- let them come. He'd leave them all as broken and beaten as Inuyasha himself.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kagura fumed in angry silence as she regarding the waxing moon. This was simply beyond humiliating! Here she was stuck in some godforsaken little forest waiting for any signal or word from her master. She cursed Naraku, the world, and, most of all, herself. If only she'd had the foresight to show more patience and composure at the beginning of all this! If only she'd swallowed her pride in those early days, and acted compliant and humble, maybe she could have lulled Naraku into a false sense of security. But it was too late now. Her rebellious behavior had forevermore cast her under a shadow of suspicion and these days she was seldom allowed to know the full details or scope of Naraku's schemes. Oh well, she thought dryly, at least Kohaku had managed to gain his freedom. That fact alone meant there was some small amount of hope for herself.

She looked down resentfully at the child-like demoness waiting patiently beside her. Kanna had no such mutinous desires and seemed quite content with her station. In fact, her "sister" did not even seem aware of her present enslavement at all.

Kagura sighed in sheer boredom. With any luck, maybe Naraku would order her to finally chase down that wretched wolf and his jewel shards. She bristled, remembering how the arrogant young demon had gotten the better of her in their last fight. Simply humiliating. She'd heard he had moved north, joining the scraggly remains of his pack with his mountain kin. Kagura smiled at dark thoughts of tearing the brainless ookami limb from limb as he pleaded for mercy.

She was suddenly distracted from her `pleasant' fantasy by a faint, melodic sound drifting on the breeze. The demoness stared down in curiosity. A young woman was walking unhurriedly along the forest trail below, humming softly to herself as she traveled through the night. Kagura's eyes narrowed in instant recognition. Sesshoumaru's little brat --- all grown up?! Unbelievable, the demoness mused, just look at her now! What a complete change! The girl strode along confidently, followed closely by a rather dopey-looking youkai bull. When they reached the edge of a small green field they parted company, as the animal paused to graze greedily. The girl smiled and continued to walk on, her shoulders squared and her chin held high. All and all, she seemed nothing like the babbling creature with the unending questions and piping voice that Kagura remembered her to be.

No wonder her master had pushed her away! This creature was everything a demon would love to corrupt --- innocent, beautiful, sweet, and pure. Despite the cold and unfeeling attitude he projected, Sesshoumaru must have been taxed to the very limits of his endurance by the mere presence of this fetching little thing. Kagura thought of her last encounter with the taiyoukai and smiled wickedly. If the demon lord could see his `little girl' now, she doubted he'd even recognize her! Despite Kanna's soft cry of protest and surprise, Kagura pulled her feather from her elegant bun and swooped down to confront the young woman.

Rin had been enjoying her pleasant journey so far. The only thing that concerned her was that it might be over all too soon. Despite his great bulk and pudgy appearance, Momo could travel at incredible bursts of speed when he was so inclined. As night fell upon them, she had pointed out the green fields below and guided him down from the sky. She left the animal to forage happily and had decided to wander through the woods for awhile. She sighed and smiled up at the thinning canopy of fall leaves high above her head, admiring how their brilliant colors appeared so soft and muted in the clear moonlight.

Rin suddenly noticed that the forest had gone eerily silent. No owls or insects were calling from the trees and no small animals could be heard rustling in the undergrowth. She tightened her grip on her spear and backed up slowly. No doubt about it, there was a predator nearby. It was definitely time to find Momo and continue on again --- NOW! She kept her actions calm and deliberate, as if she hadn't detected anything was out of the ordinary. The young woman certainly didn't want to give whatever was stalking nearby the chance to change its strategy. Whenever the creature made its move, she would be ready.

Despite being prepared, Rin still gasped as a blur of violet streaked past her. She was forced to cover her face for protection as dry dust and fallen leaves swirled around wildly in a suddenly raging wind. Rin drew her naginata up in self-defense and cracked an eye to look upon the stately, pale form of --- Kagura?!

"You?!" she exclaimed in shock. What the hell?! Of all the miserable luck! The first time she attempted an extended overnight trip and THIS is who she encountered!

Rin quickly buried her fear and stared defiantly into Kagura's blazing red eyes. She suddenly found herself wishing she were taller. Gods - it was infuriating that even after all these years she still had to look UP at the smug demoness. She felt like a pathetic little girl again, caught squirming and swinging by the scruff of the neck in this youkai woman's grasp. "What do you want?" she asked brusquely.

"Relax, dear-heart," Kagura began in a silky voice. "I just came to get a better look at you."

Kagura walked slowly around the young woman in appraising evaluation. Rin glared back angrily, feeling like the demoness was finding her somewhat lacking.

The youkai smiled at the heated, irate flush of color presently staining the young human's cheeks. Damn - pushing the girl's buttons wasn't nearly as difficult or as interesting as rattling Sesshoumaru! She shrugged. Oh well ---- it could still be rather entertaining in its own way!

"What's the matter, tiny cricket, not as chirpy and chatty as you used to be, hmmm?" the wind-witch asked sarcastically. "Strange, but the last time I saw HIM, your master wasn't very talkative either. But then again, that was for a completely different reason --- if you KNOW what I mean?" Kagura tapped her chin with her fan solicitously, and gave a mocking laugh. "No, I suppose you wouldn't, would you? Poor sweet, little virgin." she crooned, leaning in close to savor the girl's reaction to her words.

Rin instantly felt her heart twist. What was that? Sesshoumaru-sama and KAGURA? She had grown up in the wild and had a rough understanding of the act of rutting, but still did not know the finer points of just what happened when it was between a man and a woman! Her eyelids fluttered and she felt the burning taste of bile in the back of her throat. At the moment, she couldn't concentrate on anything. All she knew was that she truly despised the idea of Sesshoumaru-sama together with this --- this ---

With a pained growl, she thrust the naginata out with more speed than she knew she possessed. Rin had the sharp blade pressed tightly against Kagura's throat before the demoness could even blink. "Y-you --- s-shut up!" She grated.

Kagura had not been expecting such a reckless move and she gasped in surprise at the unfamiliar feeling of cold steel resting against the pale column of her neck. Damn- what was happening to her lately? First, Kouga and now this insignificant little wretch had managed to get past her defensives? She quickly recovered from her astonishment, however, and gave a short cynical laugh.

"Ohhhh." she whispered derisively, "Very good. Now put that thing down before you hurt yourself, cricket. As much as you'd like to kill me, you know THAT won't work. Naraku holds my heart and I cannot die --- you've seen it for yourself."

Rin nodded sadly, knowing full well that the demoness was not lying. Kagura's eyes sparkled with malevolent delight at the girl's expression of acceptance. "That's right. Settle down this instant, jo-chan." She commanded, "After all, I'd hate to separate that pretty little head from the rest of you!"

The young woman reluctantly lowered the pike. "I don't need to listen to you." She stated flatly. "If you're going to kill me --- just do it! But nothing you say can hurt me."

Kagura's ruby lips twisted into a sardonic smile, "Oh - you're so adorable when you lie! What's the matter, darling? Not feeling a little jealous, are we?"

"Certainly not of YOU!" Rin bit out impulsively. Kagura's head jerked up in shock and her crimson eyes once again narrowed into predatory slits. Did this insignificant insect just dare to insult her? Why that little ----

Rin braced herself for the inevitable retaliation. She knew in her mind that it was beyond foolish to challenge this deadly woman, but what else could she do? She was completely at the youkai's mercy, and death was imminent whenever the demoness grew bored of toying with her emotions. She sighed in resignation and watched as Kagura's fan was snapped forward in a cutting motion. In the next instant, she was knocked off her feet and tumbled head over heels from the force of the gale raging all about her. She crashed to an abrupt halt at the base of an old pine and reached up with her hands to stop her head from spinning. She closed her eyes and waited for the inevitable second volley of cutting wind to slice her apart.

To her great surprise, it never came and Kagura merely burst out laughing instead. Rin stared up in confusion --- this was definitely not the reaction she'd expected! Maybe she should just get the hell out of here! She shook her head to clear the stars dancing before her eyes, and hauled herself to her unsteady feet. She turned to flee ---

And promptly found her path blocked.

A second demoness had suddenly materialized about thirty paces away. Rin backpedaled quickly --- she had never encountered THIS pale entity before but shied away unconsciously on sheer instinct. Something was VERY wrong with this person! As the child-like youkai advanced steadily upon her, the young woman realized that she held an odd glowing object in her unnaturally white hands. She squinted through the darkness --- What was that? A mirror?! Rin stumbled and automatically closed her eyes to avoid looking into the peculiarly gleaming glass.

Kagura gasped at the current situation. Sesshoumaru's girl WAS a pathetic, weakling BRAT but she didn't mean for the fiery little thing to come to any real harm! Why had Kanna suddenly decided to interfere? Why was she intrigued with her at all? This couldn't be good.

She materialized instantly at the fallen young woman's side. "Go --- now!" she hissed down vehemently, trying to keep her lips as still as possible so Kanna could not see the full scope of this newest little betrayal. Rin looked up in shock as Kagura rolled her eyes. "Don't look so surprised, you fool! After all, YOU helped me once --- now we're even! GO!"

The stubborn young woman still seemed too stunned by her selfless act to move. "Aho! Get out of here now, you brainless little ---" Kagura gritted. Rin didn't wait for the youkai to finish the rest of her insult. She gave a shrill whistle for Momo and darted back into the underbrush.

Kagura watched her race away, suddenly filled with a deep sense of foreboding. She turned slowly, smoothing her hair and shaking her head. She tucked her fan into her fine obi, and stalked angrily over to Kanna.

The small demoness had presently flipped her mirror around and was staring emotionlessly into its shining depths, slowly stroking her pallid fingers over whatever image she had managed to capture. Kagura peered down sullenly and stared into the mirror with bored curiosity. She instantly gasped in astonishment at what she saw ---

Rin's reflection still rippled on the glass, just as frightened and apprehensive as she'd appeared mere moments before. But a vague, rather familiar figure now stood behind her in the glass.

Sesshoumaru! How? What the ---

Kagura whipped her head around in reflexive panic; just to be sure the imposing demon wasn't actually in the glade with them! She released an automatic sigh of relief --- the taiyoukai was most definitely NOT present. So, why then was he in the mirror?! What did this mean?

Kagura was deeply concerned, but she masked her confusion with a small shrug and tried to act as casual as possible.

"Very interesting, my dear, but not out of the ordinary!" she commented nonchalantly, "I'm not surprised in the least, you know. That empty-headed child dotes on Sesshoumaru." She snorted rudely, "There's simply nothing else in that vacant mind but thoughts of HIM --- after all, he was her master for the longest time!" She gave a nervous titter of laughter, hoping to stop the smaller youkai from investigating further or pursuing the fleeing girl.

"No," Kanna slowly breathed, "this is something else --- some other connection. Naraku must be informed." The ashen, colorless child began to glide away slowly.

Kagura's hands balled in fists of frustration. No - this did not bode well at all. "Wait!" she shouted indignantly, "Where are you going?!" Kanna merely continued to ignore her and surrounded herself in a pearly ball of jyaki nearly as bleached and translucent as the rest of her.

The wind-witch stood in momentary indecision. Here was her chance! Naraku's real presence and location would be revealed! But someone had to alert Sesshoumaru to the fact that trouble was most definitely headed his way. However subtle or arrogant his actions appeared, the taiyoukai HAD aided her somewhat in the past. Kagura worried her lip and hesitated for the slightest of moments.

No, she decided suddenly. No one would stand in the way of her freedom and nothing would deter her from finding Naraku. She needn't concern herself with the taiyoukai, his former ward, OR whatever strange power linked them together. She quickly withdrew the downy feather from her hair again and spun into the sky in pursuit of Kanna.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Shippou padded noiselessly on his tiny pawed feet to cautiously make his way into the hazy clearing. The sickly-sweet smell of noxious poison hung heavily in the air and he stifled a gasp of horror at the sight of the smoldering remains of Inuyasha's hut. The fox turned and spun wildly in the fog, searching for survivors. He suddenly noticed two distinct figures huddled tightly together and cried out in instant recognition. "Kagome! Are you alright?" he wailed. "What's happening? They're saying it was Sesshoumaru! Was he here for Rin?! The other's are after him right now!" He leapt forward to attempt to reach his adoptive mother's side.

Inuyasha's head jerked up the moment he heard the kitsune's plaintive, cries. "Shippou --- NO!" he roared, "Stay away!"

The fox froze immediately. He knew THAT strange, deadly voice and altered scent only TOO well! The hanyou was a full demon now! "Inu-Inuyasha?" he whispered fearfully.

"Shut up! Listen!" Inuyasha rasped, "Being this close to Kagome is keeping me in control, but not for very much longer! I need you to find Kaede RIGHT NOW! I need her to come and pick up Tetsusaiga --- I threw it away into the woods over there!" He nodded to the left and Shippou could see the wicked gleam of elongated fangs as he turned. The fox circled around the demon slowly, moving in the direction he'd indicated. He gasped in surprise and terror at his friend's bloody, beaten form and vacant red eyes. The kitsune nodded obediently, temporarily at a loss for words, and raced off instantly in search of the elderly miko.

Shippou found her several frantic minutes later as she struggled to calm a panicked, milling crowd of villagers in the main square. "Kaede!" he yelled, "Come quick! Inuyasha and Kagome are hurt!"

"I know, boy! I`m trying!" she wheezed. "Inuyasha's elder brother has been quite ruthless. These people are terrified and frightened out of their minds! And a fire has broken out in the shrine!"

"Please!" Shippou continued breathlessly, "If you don't come now it's only going to get worse! Inuyasha's lost the Tetsusaiga! If you don't hurry, there'll have been TWO full demons tearing through this village this night!"

"Oh dear!" Kaede murmured, "That does change everything!" She shuffled from the disorderly scene, limping in the kitsune's wake. With a soft growl, Shippou turned back to patiently carry her back to the clearing. Within moments, the fox had sniffed out the Tetsusaiga and the aged miko slowly bent to retrieve the great sword. As Shippou stood in nervous watch, she pushed it as close to the growling dog-demon as she dared.

The moment Inuyasha's hand closed around the hilt of the blade, he heaved a great sigh of relief and pressed a lingering kiss to Kagome's temple. His claws retracted and his unfocused eyes slowly faded from crimson to deepest gold. Damn - Sesshoumaru had got him good this time. It would be hours before his sight returned and this puncture in his chest healed. He dabbed at the wound in his side experimentally and winced at the feeling of the steady flow of blood. That fucking son of a bitch! He was going to kill his half-brother!

Inuyasha's white ears flicked forward and he focused his senses on nothing but the woman in his arms and his child within her. After a few tense seconds he decided that everything seemed alright. Though the rhythms seemed much faster and more erratic than usual, he could still clearly discern two distinct heartbeats pounding out loud and strong. He sighed in short-lived relief.

Okay --- Kagome and the baby were going to be fine. But damn - there were SO many other things to worry about now! He wasn't prepared for this current situation in the least ---

"Shippou!" he called out again suddenly.

"Hai?" the fox responded with a sniffle.

The blinded hanyou jumped with a start --- the kitsune had answered from much closer then he expected. Inuyasha's heart turned bitterly. Shippou doubtlessly must have crept in to be nearer to Kagome. He knew the pain the fox must be feeling at the sight of the still unconscious miko --- he felt the very same anguish and fear himself.

But the hanyou wasted no further time with sentimentality. "Listen Shippou!" he growled, "You said the others are chasing Sesshoumaru, right? Well, I need YOU to do something too!"

The fox leaned forward in expectation. "What?" he whispered conspiratorially.

"You need to RUN now --- you need to get to Totosai's forge before that bastard! He KNOWS Rin's hiding there! You've got to warn them. I don`t know what Sesshoumaru means to do, but you see what he`s capable of!" The hanyou frowned, and tenderly stroked his mate's damp hair; as Kaede reached down to help him to his feet.

Shippou's emerald eyes widened in understanding and then flashed with a gleam of deep pride and honor. His chest puffed out heroically and he leapt to his feet. The hanyou was entrusting him with such an important mission --- never mind that he was the only one left behind!!! He experienced a quick, delightful vision of Rin displaying her gratitude to him for saving her life and imagined her praising his valiant bravery in the face of the evil, wicked, hideous Sesshoumaru. He continued to snicker as he suddenly pictured Kohaku's jealous reaction. "All right!" he shouted in a dashing tone, "Leave it all to me!"

There was a loud snapping noise and Inuyasha could feel the fox`s youki flare all around him. The kitsune divided into at least a dozen or so multiple versions of himself, each turning to disappear into the forest with a jaunty flick of a fluffy red tail. "We won't fail, Inuyasha!" they called back together.

The hanyou smiled as the many identical voices assailed his ears in unison. Perfect. Sesshoumaru would have a hard time deciding which scent to hone in on! But then again ---

Inuyasha felt sudden trepidation for the fox's mission. As much as they antagonized one another over the years, he'd come to view the obnoxious little brat almost as his own. "DON'T STOP, Shippou!" he bellowed, "And stay out of HIS way if you can!"

The hanyou shook his head feeling utterly miserable and helpless. He gingerly picked up Kagome, and allowed Kaede to help guide him to her home to recover.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sesshoumaru hurried onward, determined to reach Totosai's mountain by daybreak. However, Inuyasha's rag-tag companions were steadily advancing in their pursuit, and he resolved to pause and deal with them here and now. After all, he did not want them to get in his way or interfere when he finally arrived at the old demon's forge.

It was no sooner than he had decided to lie in wait and ambush them, when he found HIMSELF the victim of a similar trap.

He suddenly detected a familiar, though VERY unanticipated, presence to his right and there was an abrupt searing flash of pain in his left shoulder. What the fuck?

Sesshoumaru reached up to pull a wickedly curved sickle-blade from his flesh. With a roar of outrage, he wound his wrist around the long attached chain and viciously tugged his hidden assailant into the open.

The taiyoukai was not at all surprised by his attacker's identity --- the distinctive weapon itself had provided all the information he required. After all, he'd seen it all too many times before.

He stared hard into the young demon slayer's face as the boy stumbled out from his hiding place in the shadowy treetops with an exclamation of surprise. His brown eyes were clear and free --- Naraku's old servant had somehow finally broken from his mind-control and had joined up with Inuyasha's pathetic band!? With cool precision, Sesshoumaru hurled the sickle back at its owner, smiling in pleasure as the blade struck home to slice deeply into the muscles of the boy's thigh. Kohaku cried out in shock and pain, and tumbled from the tree branches.

As the taiyoukai watched the young man fall, a deep swell of hatred burned in his mind. This was the vile little creature that had tried to kill Rin all those years ago. Yet despite that fact, AND the threat of continued harm, she had always displayed deep concern and empathy toward his plight. It was just another example of her warm, trusting heart overriding her common sense and reason! He scoffed and arrogantly brushed past the downed boy, casting a critical eye over his wounded leg. The cut was deep, and he doubted the young man would be able to stand, let only mount another pathetic assault.

"Bakemono! You fucking bastard! I know what you're going to do!" Kohaku shrieked out behind him, "Get back here --- leave HER alone!!" The boy pulled the blade from his leg with trembling fingers, and then rose unsteadily to his feet. He tried to stagger out of the underbrush, leaning on the trees for support as he drew his short sword. He slashed clumsily with the weapon, as Sesshoumaru casually ducked out of the way with ease.

"She's so much better than you!" the boy continued to rage through gritted teeth. "And you'll never even realize it! You treated her like nothing! Like she had no value!"

Sesshoumaru bristled. This was the second time this night he had been accused of harming Rin's mind. He shoved the bleeding boy back to the ground violently, and began to move on, deep disdain evident on his face.

But Kohaku only crawled to his knees and stubbornly persisted with his outburst. "I can't even show her the love and care she deserves, because she's so scarred by YOU!" he cried heatedly.

Sesshoumaru's steps halted abruptly and he gasped. When he sent Rin away he had thought himself prepared for the inevitability of the girl taking a mate, but he had never prepared himself for being confronted with a possible face for that man. He felt his anger explode at the mere thought of THIS boy putting his hands on her.

He turned and shot forward in a shadowy blur to grab Kohaku by the throat. He lifted the struggling young man from the ground and held him high in the air --- just as he'd done all those years ago. He gazed coldly into his helpless opponent's face. It would be so damn easy to snap his wretched neck! Kohaku clawed wildly at his striped wrists, his eyes rolling back into his head at the lack of oxygen.

Suddenly a deep, commanding voice called out from behind them. "PUT HIM DOWN!"

It would seem that the others had finally caught up. After one last shake, he threw the demon hunter's limp body to the ground and turned slowly to face his new opponent. The taiyoukai had been waiting for THIS particular enemy, after all.

Though he did not fear any of his brother's companions, THIS one was the only one who posed ANY possible threat --- the monk.

Sesshoumaru smirked and regarded the man with a frosty glare.

"Now," Miroku began warily, eyes darting back and forth between the demon and the injured Kohaku. "You must stop. I can't let you go any further without knowing your intentions toward the girl!"

The taiyoukai laughed mirthlessly. "Human - it is not your place to interrogate this Sesshoumaru!" He turned and took a deliberate step back, clearing defying the monk's order. Miroku shook his head. "I warned you --- don't move!" he cried. He reached out to untangle the shiny prayer beads sealing the air void in his cursed hand. Sesshoumaru merely smiled once more --- he had been counting on this little response. Inuyasha's friends were so damn predictable in their behavior. Once again, they would be defeated by their own unsurprising and utterly banal actions.

Miroku's violet eyes widened in shock as Sesshoumaru charged directly at him just before the Kazanna burst open. The taiyoukai dodged at the last possible second, slamming into the priest and wrenching his arm around to aim the wind tunnel in a direction of his own choosing. Miroku wrestled and twisted in the great youkai's powerful grip --- but to no avail.

"So --- where is your woman, houshi?" the demon taunted sarcastically. "Let's find her together --- shall we?"

There was a sudden flash of red flames bounding through the trees and Sesshoumaru spun his hapless prisoner again to face the charging taijiya and firecat. Within seconds, a woman's scream and a feline roar rang out; the noises unmistakable even over the deafening roar of the air rip. The priest stared in horror as Sango and the Kirara were dragged steadily forward, caught helplessly in the maelstrom.

"No!" he shouted, "I beg of you!"

"You understand what you need to do then, priest?!" Sesshoumaru queried, shouting into the monk's ear to be heard above the raging wind. He watched with interest as the woman and her youkai mount struggled to hold onto anything to keep their distance from that endless black hole. But even the very trees they sought to cling to were being pulled forward to disappear down that bottomless path to hell --- soon there would be nothing left!

"No!" Miroku moaned. He slumped weakly in defeat and nodded his acceptance. The taiyoukai instantly slackened his hold and freed priest's other arm. The man quickly looped the beads back around the Kazanna and cried out as the exhausted Sango and Kirara crashed down to the ground. He tried to rush to their aid, but Sesshoumaru merely drew Toukijin, and brought the blunt end down across the man's temple. He released the priest to watch him collapse to the ground like the others.

The taiyoukai leapt back to check on the female taijiya. The woman was dazed but awake, her leg pinned at an odd angle beneath the unconscious fire-cat's body. She groaned weakly and fixed him with accusing eyes. "Don't you dare hurt her!" she rasped, "Rin saved our lives from N-Naraku!"

Sesshoumaru frowned, somehow not surprised in the least to hear of another act of selflessness and bravery from his former ward.

"And, thanks to your foolishness THIS NIGHT, you nearly almost lost them all again," he commented blandly in response. Sango gritted her teeth with helpless fury.

"Stay down, woman, do not pursue me. Should any of you attempt to follow, this Sesshoumaru will not show you ANY mercy." Sango twisted as far as she was able to look back at the crumpled forms of her husband and brother. Miroku was still out-cold, while Kohaku convulsed with deep racking spasms as he struggled to regain his breath. "I can't wait to watch when Inuyasha finally kills you!" she spat. Sesshoumaru bit his lip to hold back his laughter. "Human," he responded, "your wait would be in vain --- that day will never come." He glided away without a second glance.

There. Inuyasha's pathetic allies were no longer any threat. Only one creature remained unaccounted for, however: that irritatingly optimistic kitsune. Sesshoumaru's nose twitched as he tried to find the annoying creature`s scent. Damnit, with all these ridiculous delays, the fox had gotten ahead of him. He had had ENOUGH of this foolishness. No more distractions, no more interruptions, and no more wasted time --- he would find Rin NOW. His vision blurred and he allowed his youki to build, twisting into to his full, towering form. He charged off towards Totosai's mountain --- there was nothing left to stop him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Rin's heart was still pounding as Momo cantered across the early morning sky. Gods - she couldn't believe she had managed to escape from Kagura! And that other demoness?! Who was she? And just WHAT did that strange mirror do? The young woman cautiously searched her body for any injuries in the soft light of dawn. She found herself a bit bruised from when the wind-witch had sent her sailing into that tree, but she seemed unhurt otherwise.

Suddenly, without warning, Momo snorted in fright and veered sharply in the air, plunging and bucking furiously in fear. Rin threw her small arms around the bull's thick neck, trying desperately to hang on and keep from falling to her death. She regained her balanced as the bull climbed higher into the billowing pink clouds. She stared down to search out just what the hell had caused the beast to shy so violently. The girl cried out in terror --- far below her a great demon was on some berserk rampage. It charged wildly through the woods, uprooting tall trees and causing all manner of lesser-demons, birds, and forest- animals to flee before its wrath.

She wheeled Momo higher into the sky. She couldn't get a clear look at the beast from way up here, other than a few flashes of silvery white. The young woman decided it didn't matter --- she had quite enough adventure for one day and didn't need to investigate further. Besides, the crazed, brutal creature was fortunately moving in the opposite direction than she was headed! Rin exhaled slowly --- she'd hate to be the sorry individual that THAT monstrous youkai was pursuing! She clicked her tongue, urging Momo to continue his flight. Thank goodness this strange trip would be over shortly and they would be relaxing at the miko's village soon!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Yes, I had Kohaku sneak up on Sesshoumaru! I figured it was maybe SLIGHTLY possible considering he wasn't expecting the boy to be with Inuyasha's group now. (Besides, he's a tad bit upset, you know!) Whatever, it's a story!

Damare - Shut up! Silence!

Otouto - little brother

Ojisan - uncle

jo-chan - cute name for "little girl", kind of like "honey" (Kagura being super dry and sarcastic!)

Aho - Idiot, moron

Bakemono - monster