InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Eien Ni Nakunatta Shunkan: A Moment Lost Forever ❯ Chapter 20 ( Chapter 21 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

PLEASE READ:

Due to the massive amount of stories that have been disappearing daily, I can't imagine Eien Ni is going to survive on fanfiction. net for very much longer. I've tried not to include anything that you couldn't see or would be discussed in an R rated film, but it's so subjective --- who knows! Anyway, in case this IS goodbye, I've also posted the story on a few more sites --- the Killing Perfection (even though the format looks terrible!), soupfiction. net, Inuyasha. net, Christy's very cool website: http:// snowy.web1000.com/index.htm and the site, Inuyasha Fanfiction: Guilty Pleasures --- http://www.kokololio.com/guiltypleasures/iy.html.

Spoiler Rant: Ohhhh --- say it ain't so! Not Hakudoushi! Not wonderful, wicked, depraved, perfectly deliciously evil little Hakudoushi sucked into the Kazaana! Why? I wasn't ready! Ah, isn't fan-fiction fun --- when the real series kills off favored characters. (la, la, la ---- shoves fingers in ears, `I'm not listening!') Well, evil = death in anime and the end is coming soon! But I'm okay --- just as long as Sess makes it! And Kagura too, wow! She's been kicking some Sengoku Jidai heinee lately!

SORRY FOR THE TYPOS - I changed a few things after proof-reading. THANK YOU NOTOES & JANE. AND THANK YOU RESMIRINDA!

Actually, I may come back and revise this chapter again a little later!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 20: Fukai Fuyu

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The two stunned fighters glanced upwards, each glaring into the darkness to identify this newest threat. Simultaneously, their astonished faces fell upon a tall, shadowy figure draped in white fur --- a figure draped in white fur, with waist length waves of ebony hair, and a pair of soul-less red eyes staring out eerily from behind a baboon skull mask.

"Naraku!" Kohaku's complexion drained of all color, and he resumed his struggling in earnest, fighting in vain to free himself from his invisible bonds. "Naraku!" Hakudoushi's voice echoed a second later as he too recognized the interloper, and his look of alarm faded from his pale features to be replaced by a smug grin. His expression seemed overflowing with savage devotion and pride as he stared adoringly at his master.

"Irasshai! Welcome, my lord!" he whispered excitedly.

Naraku did not reply, but merely turned back to his servant with a bland look. Hakudoushi squinted up inquiringly, reveling in the feeling of all that dark power coursing wildly around him. Wait --- the power --- it just didn't seem right! This being felt too damn weak to be the real Naraku! Which could only mean ---

After a quick moment of deliberation, the demon boy shrugged his shoulders indifferently. "Fine, maybe not Naraku," he pouted in obvious disappoint. "Kugutsu --- eh??"

Hakudoushi's fawning was taken down a noticeable notch the very instant it became apparent he was addressing a mere puppet. Feeling no need to waste his flattery on a meager imitation, he returned to concentrating the bulk of his emotion towards Kohaku, still held fast and trapped in place by the kugutsu's jyaki. Focusing an evil glare on the demon-slayer, Hakudoushi spit out a wave of foul curses, still rather incensed that the insignificant little roach had actually managed to draw HIS blood!

With an irritable, impatient snarl, he wrenched his pike free of the kugutsu's light grasp. "Damn - `Naraku'! That brainless little fool nearly killed us --- nearly killed me!" he shrieked petulantly at the demon-puppet. "The Jewel shard you gave us is NOT working! Just look at him! That brat is fighting its influence --- even as we speak! What's going on?" he demanded, stabbing the blade of his spear into the earth, all the while wishing in frustration that it could be something else. Something that would scream ---

"Calm yourself," Naraku answered icily. "After all, `we' anticipated this. This child is fighting our control. His mind and body are healed. He is no longer a scared little boy hiding from his memories. After all, Kohaku has been reunited with his family for a little while. He has secrets to hide. There are people he loves --- and he longs very much to protect them."

Upon hearing these cold, calculating words, the nearly exhausted Kohaku blinked in shock and outrage. Secrets to hide? Oh gods --- there were so many! Naraku had been --- Naraku had been planning this from the beginning! He suddenly found the strength to jerk his arm free from the demon's icy, invisible grip. Shaking his head wildly to clear his mind, he grappled over his shoulder to claw violently at his back, crying out in dismay when he realized the corrupted shard was too far out of his reach. Naraku tapped his long claws together and smiled at him pleasantly, as if patiently waiting for him to realize his escape attempts were futile. "Fuck you!" Kohaku bellowed in outrage, abandoning his efforts to withdraw the shard to reach instead for a shiriken concealed within his sash. But before he could complete the action and grab hold of the hidden weapon, another powerful flare of jyaki exploded around him. The young man collapsed to the cold forest floor again, his body wracked with deep shudders.

Naraku sighed in boredom and continued to converse blandly with Hakudoushi as if Kohaku hadn't even spoken or tried to resist him in any way. "Yes --- he's fighting. But not for much longer. This should do the trick." The demon puppet held up his hand to reveal a second shard of the Shikon no Tama.

Hakudoushi smiled in gleeful understanding. "Mou hitotsu no kakera! Another shard, huh?" With a trilling laugh, he raced forward to deliver a well-placed kick to the demon-slayer's ribs and stepped down on the boy's throat, pinning him to the ground. "What if that one doesn't work either, Master? Then do I get to kill Kohaku?" Another piercing wail assailed his sensitive ears and his shoulders hunched in revulsion. He whirled sharply, turning to regard the little girl --- the child his enemy had been trying so desperately to protect. She was still sobbing in terror as she lay huddled at the base of the old tree. He released the gasping Kohaku and marched over to her with obvious deadly intent. "And what about this yowling human brat? Can I kill it too?" he asked, nudging her shaking form with his bare foot.

The kugutsu laughed, and fixed the wailing Kaisei with a look of pure hate. "If Kohaku remains defiant after we give him this, kill him --- yes, by all means! But leave that infant alive --- noisy and pathetic as it might be! After all, when I kill her father --- that troublesome priest --- I want his last tortured thought to be about his curse passing on to her!" The foul creature stepped forward, reaching out to cuddle the screaming toddler in his arms. With a cruel sneer, he tore a ragged section from the white baboon hide to drape over her shivering body for additional warmth.

As if she instinctively recognized his evil, Kaisei struggled to escape the demon's grip, her chubby arms flailing to smack at his pale face and rip at his white pelt. Naraku touched a long clawed finger to the terrified child's forehead and she fell silent at once, her eyelids fluttering closed as she slipped into unconsciousness. "When we're finished here," the kugutsu murmured maliciously. "We'll return this snot-nosed beast to the village --- alive ---" He raked his fingers through Kaisei's glossy black hair and then placed her limp form back among the knarled roots of the Goshinboku. "But for now, give this to the Kohaku --- at once!"

Kohaku's momentary relief in knowing that his niece would be left alive and unharmed was short-lived as he now contemplated to his own twisted fate. He thought the nightmare was over! Sango, Miroku, his friends --- what would become of them! His brown eyes widened in pain, and he could do nothing but stare in numb terror as Hakudoushi approached with that second corrupted shard. In his great fear, he couldn't even savor the satisfaction in noticing that the little demon's movements were a bit more cautious and not quite so over-confident this time --- and then ---

Something blindingly hot was pressed into his chest.

"Aneue --- I'm so sorry!" Kohaku murmured as his mind emptied, his vision held by that malevolent smirk as Hakudoushi bent over him ---

And then everything was gone.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The two youkai watched in rapt fascination as the light in the boy's eyes seemed to fade, replaced by a dull hazy sheen ---

"Now," Naraku leered, sauntering forward to lean casually on the weather-beaten abandoned well in the center of the clearing. "Tell me, Kohaku --- I must know! Where does that wretched half-breed disappear to on the night of the New Moon?" he inquired amiably. "Why can't I find Inuyasha when he is vulnerable --- when he is fully human?"

Kohaku blinked, fighting to bring the spinning world back into focus. Fuck - it felt like he had been asleep for ages and it was hard to concentrate on anything past the frightful ringing in his ears! His eyes widened as if he only just realized he had an audience. Damn - what was the question? And why did he not want to answer? No, wait, he was SUPPOSED to answer --- this was his Master --- it was alright!

"Oh - Inuyasha --- he and Kagome, they go to the bottom of that well you're leaning on," he muttered thickly, swaying unsteadily to his feet. "They go down there and into a world with super fast carriages that have invisible horses! Where people trapped in little boxes tell you whether the sun is going to shine or not, and where there's enchanted food that comes in these tiny squishy bowls and when you pour water ---"

Hakudoushi shook his head in wonder and threw his master a most derisive look. "I knew it," he scoffed with a soft chuckle. "You've damaged his already feeble human mind, Naraku."

The kugutsu shook his head impatiently. "Nonsense --- we've seen these humans use more than one shard --- just like any youkai. Not too worry." His smile became increasingly evil and a red light sparked in his cold eyes. "Perhaps this Naraku merely needs to ask another question --- a question that is bound to spark our young man's fancy."

The creature paced forward to lean over the seemingly raving young man, the moonlight casting eerie shadows on his already ghostly form. He clasped the demon slayer's chin tightly in fingers, causing the boy's eyes to water and flutter weakly. "Kohaku," he whispered melodiously. "The girl --- Rin --- what can you tell this Naraku about her?"

"Rin?" Kohaku murmured in a drunk and dreamy voice. "Ohhhh --- Rin is v-very beautiful. Tottemo utsukushikute." His eyes brightened as he desperately searched his oddly uncooperative mind for facts about the young woman. "She l-likes to pick flowers and --- and her favorite foods are --- watermelons --- yeah, that's all I know about that!" He waved his hands in excitement, as he suddenly recalled a bit more. "Wait --- she thinks she talks too much but I don't care --- I like her voice. Ohhh, she can sing! Did I tell you she's very pretty --- she's very kind --- she's --- so trusting --- even with demons ---" The young man's brown eyes flickered for a moment with some forgotten pain or jealousy.

With a snarl of impatience, the kugutsu slapped Kohaku across the cheek, sending the already dizzy boy staggering backwards.

Hakudoushi tried to hide his smile, not sure what amused him more at the moment --- Kohaku's torture or watching Naraku fume at his own minor failure. "You see, my lord? You completely obliterated his mind!" he teased, sneering down at the demon slayer. "Would you listen to this drivel?! First a magic realm hidden in the slime at the bottom of an old well and --- and now a girl who --- what did Kohaku say? A pretty, pretty, pretty girl who sings about watermelons and enjoys presenting daisy chains to vicious demons --- I told you his mind is GONE!"

Naraku growled in annoyance and raised his hand, and a glowing object rapidly materialized to his left. Kohaku's head's snapped up, and he shielded his eyes from the sudden brightness, while Hakudoushi huffed in exasperation, wondering if Naraku was going to keep giving out piece after piece of the Shikon no Tama till there was nothing left!

"Please, master, you're not going to give him another shard of the Jewel!? It was such a tiresome bother to collect them ALL the first time around!" the little demon pouted, standing on his tip-toes to try and peek at who or what had REALLY appeared behind his master.

Naraku frowned at Hakudoushi, his stern, warning look an unmistakable demand for immediate silence. He then beckoned for this newest intruder to approach. With slow, deliberate steps, the wraithlike form of Kanna made its way towards them.

The demoness glided past her master without a word, stopping before Kohaku. She didn't seem like she could really be living, with her eyes black and vacant and her skin as ashy as that of a corpse --- but as she continued to tread closer, she raised her mirror up to his view. The glass rippled to form that shaky, frightened image of Rin --- the vision she had captured so long ago on that day Kagura had run across the girl, alone and unprotected in the forest.

"Kohaku," Naraku whispered in a mesmerizing tone, as his prisoner stared ahead blankly, transfixed by the ethereal, wavering reflection. The demon placed his cold hand on the boy's forehead almost soothingly, as Kohaku slumped down with a small, weak cry. "You're free now, Kohaku. Tell me, what ails you? Does it have something to do with this young girl?" The evil demon smiled in false sympathy and took hold of the boy's wrist, urging him to reach out and run his shaking fingers across the young woman's fading image.

"Rin is --- she's gone back to HIM," Kohaku sobbed brokenly. His face twisted in rage and hate as he now focused his attention on the second likeness held fast in the mirror's depths --- the pale, watery reflection of Sesshoumaru. His hand clenched tightly and he punched his fist into the trunk of the Goshinboku, causing the bark to crack and spray in a shower of small splinters. "HE sent her away, and I was happy! But then that --- that DEMON --- found out! HE found out she's tied to him --- that she draws on his youki!"

Naraku could not disguise the victorious gleam in his eyes, and he nodded approvingly at Kanna as the demoness offered him a respectful, knowing bow.

"Very good, Kohaku. You care for this little woman, don't you?" he whispered, forcing the boy to stare at the faces in the mirror once more. "Well, isn't that perfect. For all this Naraku wishes is for YOU to find her."

Kohaku gasped. His master wanted him to find Rin? It almost --- it almost sounded too good to be true!

Naraku nodded in response to the questioning, puzzled look in the demon slayer's eyes. "I just wish to meet this sweet little creature that has obviously won your heart. Find her and bring her back to me. Can you do that? I know you want to."

The image wavered and abruptly vanished into nothingness, and the boy cried out with the loss. "Yes, I can find her, Master," he answered quickly. "I'll bring her to you!"

Hakudoushi sniggered at the taijiya's over-zealous response, rather impressed in spite of himself that the kugutsu had managed to pull this latest scheme off. He supposed he shouldn't really be surprised. After all, his master's greatest power was his expert ability to turn people into pawns ---

"I know you'll bring her to me, Kohaku. You can keep those jewel shards," Naraku lied sweetly, ignoring the sarcastic little youkai leering at his side. "I've recently lost a valuable servant, and I could use a strong, powerful, cunning warrior like you to replace her."

The demon-slayer beamed proudly, acknowledging his master's flattery with a curt nod.

"Go," Naraku urged, dismissing his re-captured servant with a casual wave. "Bring your Rin to me."

Kohaku gathered his weapon, fisting the long chain in his hands. He raced from the clearing and disappeared into the dark forest --- his direction unmistakably westward.

The kugutsu inhaled deeply, and then turned back to Hakudoushi, whose lavender eyes were full of derision and mistrust as they tracked Kohaku's path.

Naraku smiled. "Follow him," he hissed. "And keep your eyes open --- he's stronger than before. And, much like Kagura used to be --- he'll be less prone to follow orders."

The little demon leapt off in pursuit, only to be halted an instant later as his master called out to him once more. "And, Hakudoushi," Naraku growled. "If Kohaku does anything stupid or noble --- kill him --- immediately."

"Of course, Master. Whatever you wish." The youkai boy grinned. Finally --- there will screaming again, he thought as he picked up his quarry's trail, vanishing into the dark night. Soon --- very soon --- my hands will be covered in blood again!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Quietly humming her old traveling song, Rin glanced at Sesshoumaru as he glided ahead of them in the snowy twilight. She felt Jaken fumble awkwardly behind her and sighed testily. The little toad was still trying his best not to touch her; apparently, he remained too deeply disgusted by the scene he had inadvertently witnessed a few days before. At least once an hour since they'd resumed their travels, he'd find some way to remind her that he was forever traumatized and mentally scarred by the hideous sight of her nauseatingly bizarre human physique. Well --- she realized, trying to imagine things from his point of view --- he did have an entirely different set of aesthetics!

But while Jaken seemed revolted by her physical appearance, it was clear that he had NO qualms or resentment at this new bond between herself and Sesshoumaru. The young woman supposed she should have known he would have accepted this so easily though --- after all, hadn't the small youkai even predicted that this deeper relationship was inevitable?

She shifted in the saddle, filled with genuine curiosity as to how he might have known. "Jaken-sama, ummm, I'm sorry about the other day. It must have been a real shock to you --- well, sort of."

The toad looked up at her in surprise, actually seeming to be somewhat grateful for this chance to break the spell of silence. "Stupid human," he muttered. "I told you I knew it was bound to happen."

Rin blushed, wondering how silly and desperate her long-standing infatuation with the taiyoukai must have seemed to those around her. But while HER heart and HER feelings might have always appeared so obvious --- what about Sesshoumaru? Why on earth would Jaken ever make such a bold assumption about him?

She brushed a loose tendril of her long bangs behind her ear, and twisted further around to face the grouchy old toad, finally catching those puffy yellow eyes. "How did you know this would happen? And for how long?" she inquired, trying to keep any excitement from creeping into her soft voice

With a most devilish smile Jaken decided to offer his reply quickly, realizing he could very easily sneak a few clever jibes (at Rin's expense) into his explanation. "Well, not from the start, that's for certain! Back in those early days, I don't know how our lord put up with you! I can't tell you how often I implored him to just toss you in some river and run like mad! But from the very beginning, you'd changed him --- somehow. I don't understand it at all." The small toad sighed and looked into the distance, as he swept a few building snowflakes from his fine robes. "But, whatever you did, as I've said before, this Jaken is actually quite grateful for it."

"Grateful?" she whispered.

"Of course," he answered smugly. "I know how to deal with you! We have our places --- and we are happy with them! Believe me child, if a powerful, ego-driven demoness came into this mix, we --- ohhhhhh --- we would all suffer!" Jaken shuddered uneasily. "So, like I said, I am rather thankful he has chosen you!"

Rin turned away quickly to puzzle over these last words, all the while trying to disguise her scowl. With a small cry, she suddenly decided she was too deeply offended to hide her face or let that little remark slide unchallenged. She whirled around in the saddle again and, without warning, whacked Jaken on the skull with the blunt shaft of her naginata. "Why you --- Jaken-sama, just what do you mean by that? Are you saying I'm weak!?"

Jaken squealed in outrage, ripped off his crushed hat to rub at his lumpy head, and then raced across Aun's scaly back to confront her nose-to-nose. "Why you rotten little --- no, you idiot! I don't think you're weak! You have saved this Jaken, shed your foolish tears for him, and fussed over him!" He fixed her with a sly grin. "Of course, you have also taken years off his life as well, with your ceaseless, dull chatter, and your willfulness and disobedience! Like right now for example!" He glared at the still brandished naginata. "Why, I should break that thing in two right now!"

"If you did, the Nintojou would be next, I promise you!" she threatened, raising her tiny fist in warning.

Jaken marched back to the far edge of the Aun's leather cantle with a derisive sniff. "Hmnph."

"Hmnph, yourself!"

They settled down into sulking silence once more, each fixing the other with their most intimidating glares. Several long minutes passed before Rin's boredom overpowered her urge to pout, and, desperate for some answers, she rolled her eyes and attempted to initiate a new conversation. With an impatient huff, she reached over and poked the toad repeatedly on his bony shoulder. "Jaken-sama, alright," she whined, knowing full well that the wheedling tone was sure to annoy his sensitive ears. "I apologiiiiiiiize!'

"What!?" the small youkai screeched while trying unsuccessfully to hide his triumphant grin. "This Jaken couldn't hear you!" He slapped at her small hand crossly. "AND --- quit touching me! Quit touching me or so help me I'll call our Master over here and he'll make this dragon stop so fast --- you need to settle down and STAY ON YOUR SIDE OF AUN!" Hefting the Nintojou, the irate youkai drew an imaginary line across the beast's saddle, daring the young woman to invade his staked `territory'.

Rin glanced ahead at Sesshoumaru once more. The taiyoukai was still diligently scouting the terrain below for threats, seemingly oblivious to both his companions and their latest row. "Call him then! I'd love to hear HIS thoughts on your little comment!" she giggled, her eyes filling with ruthless glee. "If I know Sesshoumaru-sama --- and I do --- he'll make you walk the rest of the way. And I promise, kaeru-chan, I'd laugh the whoooooole, loooong time"

Jaken's eyes narrowed at her insult. "Little-frog?! How dare you --- you impertinent, insignificant---" His mind quickly filled with images of himself trudging through waist-deep snow. "Ohhh --- you think you're so clever!" he seethed. "Fine, you win!"

Savoring her tiny victory, Rin reached forward to offer Aun's twin necks a few friendly scratches while the dragon rumbled his contentment. Out of the corner of her eye, she suddenly noticed Jaken was hunched up rather miserably --- as if her last comment had hurt him more than she'd intended. She bit her lip, suddenly seeing things from the toad's point of view again, and abruptly realized that the poor creature might actually be terrified that he was being replaced! That Sesshoumaru would no longer require his services or want his companionship now that she seemed to hold a more eminent position and role in his life! "Oh stop --- don't be mad at me," the young woman soothed quickly. "Jaken-sama! I'm sorry I was a bit rude!"

The little toad looked up suspiciously, years of dealing with her quick wit causing him to be somewhat wary for her next inevitable, teasing joke. "Are you sorry about ALL the times you were rude?" he wheedled.

She shook her head in exasperation, not willing to offer more of an apology than was necessary --- after all, HE had started this! "Please stop! Come on --- you're as bored as I am! I just want to talk!"

In the next instant, they had fully resumed their squabbling. "You always want to talk!" Jaken roared. "Being silent for more than five minutes would actually be good for you!" Instead of brushing the snow from his brown robes again, he gathered as much of the powder as he could into his fist to hurl at her. "Besides, if you want to talk so badly, why don't you go talk to your precious Seccchoumaruuuu-chaaaaama!"

Rin dodged the snowball and clapped her hands to her mouth to try to stifle her peals of bright laughter. "Because," she choked out as she tried to catch her breath. "Because he's not like that!"

Aun suddenly swung to avoid a sharp current of driving air, and she drew her cloak tighter around her form to shield herself from the now stinging hail. The young woman stared into the distance once more, searching the sky for her master, her expression full of concern and longing. The demon lord was still gliding swiftly before of them, now scowling at the rapidly worsening weather. "And besides he's busy at the moment," she murmured in a more serious tone. "I don't ever want him to think I need him to coddle and pamper me every five minutes!"

Jaken's brusque, confrontational manner all but vanished and he fixed her with a slow, approving nod. "Sometimes --- not often --- but sometimes, you are a very wise child," he mumbled under his breath.

Rin gasped at this unanticipated praise. Recovering quickly, she simply repeated, "And sometimes --- not often --- but sometimes --- you are a very good friend and teacher, Jaken-sama."

The toad grumbled again and turned away to hide his emotions, rubbing his tiny hands before him in attempt to restore circulation. Though feeling considerably warmer in his little heart, his body was nearly frozen! Due to that last plunge through the clouds they were now soaking wet and, in the failing light, the temperature was turning steadily colder with each passing moment. Trying to keep out of the gale, he ducked down behind Rin, instantly becoming aware of how hard the girl was shivering herself.

"Jaken-sama, how much further do you think we're going today?" she asked, trying to keep her teeth from chattering as she leaned into the small youkai's back. "And --- where are we going? It's been a few days now --- did Sesshoumaru-sama say anything to you?"

"No," Jaken replied glumly, pausing to break a large icicle off Aun's saddle-skirt. "I thought YOU would have asked him by now."

Rin shook her head. "So much has changed --- and I guess I just want some things to remain as they were. I never asked him such questions before. I've always followed him --- no matter where. I've always trusted in our master. I always will. Does --- does that make sense to you, Jaken-sama?"

"Perfectly." The small youkai answered promptly just as they spun through another thick, drenching cloud. "This J-jaken feels the s-same," he sputtered, wringing the excess water from his frosty sleeve. "So then, scrawny human, it doesn't really matter where we're going --- does it?"

Rin bit her nearly blue lower lip. "Of c-course not! I-I was just curious, that's all! Gods --- even t-though I can't feel my toes and I have to ride along with boring, smelly, cranky, old you --- it's good to be w-wandering again, eh Jaken-sama?!" she teased, poking him once more, reveling in her ability to irritate him.

The laughing young woman was forced to duck quickly to avoid the ensuing well-aimed swipe from the Nintojou ---

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sesshoumaru sped further ahead to hide his amusement at that latest little spat between his companions. Despite the wind and driving snow, he could make out every word of their conversation and he was actually quite pleased: the simple fact that Jaken and Rin had resumed their pointless bickering was the perfect indicator that life had returned to normal. The loneliness and unease of the past few months was already nothing more than a bad memory.

They had departed from his ancestral home several days ago, easily falling back into the familiar rhythms of their old wandering lifestyle. Yes, Rin had NEVER asked him where they were heading. He supposed she could have and he wouldn't really have been affronted ---

But --- but she didn't.

The very same moment he had indicated he was ready to resume their journey, she had simply risen gracefully to her feet, collected her naginata and heavy winter over-robe, and moved to wait at the door, unable to mask the excitement in her hazel eyes. And then, once the gate of the shiro had closed securely behind them, she had merely flashed him another cheerful smile and taken command of Aun's reins.

It was if nothing had changed and, even now, he felt a distinctive swell of pride just thinking about it.

Rin, it appeared, had most definitely taken his words to heart and was obviously attempting to make good on her vow to him. Over these past few days, she had been distant and aloof, her behavior a perfect model of his own dignified aura. She knew him all too well, realizing almost instinctively when to grant him his space and when to draw near, purposefully seeking not to appear too overly clingy or emotional. But, he smiled wryly, while she imitated his reserved disposition as they traveled, it was quite another story when they rested. Sheltered in groves of evergreens, or cocooned under the warmth of his long, downy tail and away from prying eyes, their relationship continued much as it had in the West. She was still shy, apparently just as eager as he to proceed slowly and keep these changes a secret reserved between the members of his strange little following.

On this day, they had begun their travels even before the sun had risen, and Sesshoumaru now suspected his companions were very nearly frozen and in desperate need of rest. Screening his eyes from the blinding glare of the snow and hail, he paused in mid-air and waited until they drew nearer, hoping to get a closer look at Rin. Though the taiyoukai had merely planned to sneak this quick glimpse to observe the girl for any signs of fatigue, at the sight of the young woman he couldn't help but pause a moment longer in admiration.

As always, she was truly lovely --- even more so now with her form framed by all those heavy storm clouds streaming wildly behind her. He sought to memorize everything about the girl in that instant --- from the way her hair rippled in the fierce wind, trying to stubbornly escape from the two silver combs pinning it, to the mischievous sparkle in her eyes, to how her figure seemed so helplessly lost in those damn clothes she'd raided from his room! Sesshoumaru shook his head as he noted Rin held Aun's long reins in a rather loose grip, a clear sign that she had been granting the beast the freedom to dive playfully in the strong air currents while she thought HIS attention had been focused strictly on the terrain ahead. In her other hand, he noticed, she clutched her naginata tightly to her side as if she were some formidable, hardened warrior.

Actually, he mused, between the intimidating weapon, her new confident posture and her rich attire, one could almost mistake her for a demoness. Well, almost, he amended quickly. For despite her outward appearance, he could sense that her heart rate had fallen dramatically and, even from this distance, he could see her tremble violently from the cold.

But though she was visibly uncomfortable, he could still make out her pleasant, gentle voice and he shook his head again in bemused wonder. Over the howling wind, he could very clearly hear the calming, lulling sounds of her singing quietly to herself.

Singing? Yes, Rin was singing that old familiar song again, and the taiyoukai sighed inwardly, realizing in dismay that the tune would now most likely become hopelessly stuck in his mind for the next few hours. Thankfully, the melody was quickly drowned out by familiar grumbling and he shifted his glance to stare back at Jaken. At the moment, the toad was definitely not as cheerful or as high-spirited as the girl

"Sugu tomaru zo!" he called out to them, his amber eyes softening when they met Rin's. "We will rest soon." He turned quickly and resumed his flight, gesturing for Aun to pick up his pace.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Rin straightened at his words and pursed her lips, studying the snowy landscape below. Passing the time by guessing where he intended to make camp had always been a little game of hers. She burst into a broad grin as their `mysterious' destination became apparent immediately --- the black, curling smoke rising from a tall mountain range rapidly growing on the horizon left little doubt. After all, that place had served as her temporary home for months, and she had spent week after week exploring those sharp peaks and wind-swept, craggy valleys! No doubt about it --- they were heading to Totosai's forge! Despite the whistling wind, she hastily tried to smooth her hair and straighten her travel-worn robes, but met with little success.

Giving up on her appearance, but still full of nervous energy, Rin flexed her grip on the reins until her fingers went white. Though it had only been a few weeks since she has last seen Ojii-sama, so much had changed! She couldn't wait to show the old demon how happy she was --- to show him how well his cunning scheme had actually worked! And she really wanted to thank him once again for all his thoughtful care! She dug in with her heels, urging Aun to race faster still, looking forward to the prospect of warming herself by the fire with a cup of steaming, hot tea. And perhaps later, she mused excitedly, she could finally show her master all the curious treasures and weapons held within the forge! Surely, he would at least enjoy that!

Rin watched as Sesshoumaru touched down gracefully on the rough outcropping of the tallest peak and, several minutes later, she arrived behind him, guiding Aun in small, ever-decreasing circles above the weather-beaten mouth of the cavern. Though Jaken squawked loudly in protest of her seemingly sluggish descent, the girl merely shrugged off his complaints; after all, if Momo was nearby she wanted to be sure the irritable old bull got a good look at the dragon so he wouldn't spook or be needlessly frightened. That wouldn't be good, she mused, stifling quick images of the two unusual beasts involved in some ridiculous territorial brawl. And --- and --- she wanted this unanticipated visit to be perfect! This was to be her first interaction with `outsiders' since her whole world had changed, after all!

When they finally did land on the wide ledge, she hopped excitedly from Aun's back to race to the waiting taiyoukai. She very quickly remembered herself and paused in momentary embarrassment before turning her pointed chin into the air and slowing her steps to march the remainder of the distance.

Sesshoumaru threw her a perplexed look as she moved to approach him. She thought she heard him murmur her name, and looked up in time to catch his fleeting smile and approving nod as she made her way slowly, regally, to his side. That's right! Try not to make yourself look like a silly little girl anymore, she scolded herself inwardly. Gods, how she wanted him to see! She wanted to prove to him that he had made the right choice! That SHE could be as subtle, refined and stately as any youkai woman!

"Well, well," came a scratchy voice from the darkness of the cave. "Look at you! Almost didn't recognize you, missy!" Totosai stepped out onto the wind-blown ledge, brushing soot from his brow as he regarded them curiously. The instant she caught sight of her old guardian, Rin forgot all about her concerns to appear polished and lady-like, and raced into his arms to wrap the old demon in a fierce hug.

"Well, hello, my dear. I've missed you too!" he laughed, dragging the small girl around in a swift half-circle, her toes skimming lightly over the freshly-fallen snow. "You look lovely. This spoiled hound been treating you well, I hope?"

"Oh, yes," she whispered, blushing profusely as memories of just HOW well Sesshoumaru had been treating her lately flashed most distractingly through her mind. "I am very happy." Rin nodded vigorously and offered another shy grin. Her grin died abruptly though, as she noted that the old man's beady eyes were no longer focused on her but were now resting squarely on her master and were filled with deep loathing, anger and disappointment. She shifted her own gaze back to Sesshoumaru, her face growing pale at finding him returning Totosai's glare with equal malice.

Trying her best to ignore this completely un-called for, but rather OBVIOUS, tension, Rin cleared her throat, and offered the old man a reassuring pat on the shoulder. "It's been wonderful to return to the West," she continued somewhat uneasily. "To be home again, if only for a short time --- I ---"

"Machinasai! Machinasai!!" Totosai abruptly shouted, interrupting her words as he noted her soggy clothes and damp hair. "Come on inside, before you freeze! You're soaking wet! How long have you been like this!?" He paused to throw another accusing glare at Sesshoumaru. "Come in and get out of this cold now! That means all of you!"

The wiry demon ushered Rin deep into the foundry, holding her still shivering hand to help her pick her way through the maze of armor and weaponry, all in various states of completion and laying haphazardly amongst the rocks. Jaken followed close behind them, his mouth agape at all the power radiating from the many gleaming blades hanging from the grey walls. The toad screeched in surprise as he received a rather nasty shock when he foolishly reached for a half-finished kabuto. Sesshoumaru tracked in last, completely ignoring his tiny retainer's stupidity and pain. Though equally fascinated himself by the many terrible weapons, he was still focused on the rather rude greeting he had received from the sword-smith. He stared ahead at Rin as she chatted happily with Totosai, and tried not to grimace in disgust at the specks of soot that drifted through the stifling air to land upon his fine white robes and hair.

They stopped before a rough workbench, and that bug-eyed, mad demon excitedly held up piece after piece of fang, bone and iron, explaining to HIS Rin where each pathetic bit had come from, what they would be crafted into, and --- and --- he was beginning to lose ALL patience.

"This Sesshoumaru did not come to this stinking hole for a lesson in metallurgy," he stated, seeking to repay the sword-smith's initial contempt with equal venom of his own.

Totosai drew in a deep breath, and, in the next instant, his strange, rather strained grin faded altogether. A deep bitter pain filled his eyes and he focused on Sesshoumaru with a cruel coldness Rin had never before seen the old man display. "Then to what DO I owe the honor, my lord?" he grated curtly, his entire posture becoming stiff and unwelcoming again.

The taiyoukai glowered, and stalked forward to pull Rin away from his bony arms. Of course, this disrespectful fool would still seek to defy him, but for the girl's sake he would TRY to rein in his temper. "I wish to know if you have heard any news about a creature called Naraku, old man."

"Naraku, eh?" Totosai scoffed, throwing one last forlorn glance at the young woman before moving slowly to the fireside and returning to his work. "Still all bothering with him, are ya? If you're so interested in finding him, why don't you go ask your otouto where he is?"

The demon lord snorted arrogantly, now dragging the rather bewildered Rin protectively to his side. "Obviously your mind has still not improved. This Sesshoumaru would rather burn in the fires of the underworld than seek the aid of that miserable son of a ---"

"Fires of the underworld, eh? How `bout the flames right here? I can at least arrange that," Totosai quipped, pumping the massive bellows of the forge till the coals flared white-hot.

The taiyoukai's eyes widened in absolute shock and then narrowed in unbridled anger. Nobody spoke to him that way! Nobody! What right did Totosai have --- why was he being so --- he suddenly caught the old man's glance as it traveled quickly over that telling mark on Rin's neck. Of course! he seethed within his mind. That was why the crazy fool was behaving in this manner! But --- that mark --- that mark was none of his damned concern!

As the heavy air began to fill with a distinctly floral fragrance, Rin raced forward to quickly position herself between the two angry demons. "Heh, heh, my lord," she soothed nervously, hoping to pacify her master before he lost all tolerance in dealing with the other youkai. "Ojii-sama is merely joking. Isn't that right, Ojii-sama?"

But instead of letting his grim, confrontational attitude fade, Totosai's wrinkly expression became even more enraged and his eyes filled with great pity as he turned quickly away from her. Rin pressed her hand over her heart in cold fear --- could she have accidentally done something to disappoint the usually kind old demon?

The sword-smith returned to his work yet again, pounding rather aggressively at an already flat sheet of iron with his long mallet. Somehow Rin got the distinct impression that he was currently envisioning her master's head under the hammer instead!

"Hmmph." Totosai snorted, directing his scowl at Sesshoumaru once more. "Well, if you're really serious about tracking Naraku then you SHOULD seek out Inuyasha's aid because chances are your brother already knows where he is. Isn't that right, my little friend?" The demon's tone softened considerably and he waved absently towards someone or something in the corner. "Wait. Where'd ya go?!" he asked, blinking in great confusion.

All at once, Rin felt a sharp sting on her arm. She let out a clipped squeak, and Sesshoumaru whirled around in surprise, hand automatically reaching for Toukijin as he angrily searched out the culprit behind her pain. Puzzled, he watched as she winced and slapped repeatedly at her own wrist. He relaxed marginally, quickly realizing the poor girl wasn't under any `real' threat. "Myouga," he drawled in a bored monotone, correctly guessing the source of her discomfort. "I should have known." The taiyoukai's keen golden eyes followed the small, now flattened, flea as he floated down to the ashy floor. "I will only say this once --- Keep away from her."

"C-certainly, my lord," the poor creature echoed submissively, as he struggled to right himself. "It won't h-happen again."

Jaken sniffed in disdain, and glared condescendingly down at the undignified servant of the lowly hanyou. "Impudent little blood-sucker! Perfect, just what we need. More vermin." he quipped, staring pointedly from Rin to the tiny, groaning insect. The girl gave the toad a swift kick in the shins.

"Vermin!" screeched Myouga, bouncing angrily into the air, shaking his many fists at the slur. "I'll have you know that I was the vassal of the Great Inutaisho! Not a miserable, dirt-scraping, foul, little ---

His insult died as Jaken promptly squished him again under his scaly heel. Rin flinched in sympathy and shook her dark head.

Grumbling loudly in his building aggravation, Totosai appeared at her side to guide her further away from the two shouting youkai. "Better step this way, my dear," he whispered. "If there's one thing worse than sibling rivalry, it's side-kick rivalry and I don't want you to get hurt right now." Trying to stifle her laughter, she followed her former guardian and together they edged closer to the welcome warmth of the blazing hearth. She couldn't help but stare back at Jaken and his miniature opponent with great interest, however --- this could be rather amusing actually!

But the petty little squabble was never given a chance to escalate. "Jaken," Sesshoumaru stated quietly. "Leave him be." The demon lord stalked across the cavern, leaning over the momentarily grateful, wide-eyed and trembling little creature. "If he is clever and as loyal to my family as he claims, he will now tell this Sesshoumaru whatever rumors he has heard."

"Well, young master," Myouga stammered, trying to avoid gazing into those predatory golden eyes. "I don't know much about Naraku, except that I delivered a message regarding his whereabouts --- to --- your --- brother --- er, I mean Inuyasha --- oh --- please --- my --- lord --- please --- don't --- smile --- at --- me --- I'm nervous enough as it is ---"

The taiyoukai's wicked, murderous grin only widened, as he reached down and seized the hapless flea between his thumb and forefinger. "Is that so, Myouga? Does this Sesshoumaru frighten you?" The orange glow of the flames cast him in a frightful light, as sinister shadows danced over his cold face in eerie, twisting patterns. He loomed closer ---

Myouga squeaked in panic as green poison began to steadily build on the demon's long claws, narrowly missing him as it dripped down to sizzle on the cavern floor. "You will repeat this message --- NOW," the demon lord commanded. "Once again, I will only ask you once."

From her place by the fire, Rin shivered at that soft, dangerous voice. The young woman's memories flashed painfully, taking her back to the night when Sesshoumaru had spoken to HER in such a cold, unfeeling manner. Her heart began to race, as she thought back to those awful, heart-wrenching moments when he had looked upon HER with the same hate and disdain ---

Gods, this just wasn't right! something in her mind protested fiercely. Though a staunch ally of Inuyasha's, this harmless little flea demon HAD served as a loyal servant to her master's great father! Surely, if they merely asked politely, Myouga would share the message and volunteer the information without delay. There was no need for this --- this torture! "Sesshou --- maru --- please," Rin gasped, her mind still swirling with images of being trapped underneath his powerful body --- trapped underneath his body as he laughed at her agony, shame and fear. But before she could beg the great youkai to stop, however, Totosai's scratchy voice boomed out from behind her ---

"Knock it off!" the smith shouted, racing angrily to Myouga's aid. "The only reason I'm even slightly tolerating your detestable presence in MY house is because of this young lady here and I won't have you threatening and terrorizing my other guests!"

"No, no! It's alright!" squeaked Myouga, still dangling helplessly in the dog demon's claws. He whimpered, knowing full well that there was really nothing Totosai could do to save him if Sesshoumaru truly had it in his vicious mind to see him dead. "Inuyasha was given a message from Kouga of the wolf demon tribe! He headed up north, my lord, that's all I know! The young wolf-prince --- he said he might have an idea where Naraku is, b-but he left no clues in the message --- I swear it!"

"Wolves, you say?" Sesshoumaru gritted in revulsion as he glanced at Rin. Just as he feared, the girl was pale and shaken, and her eyes were wild and panicked. But --- but he was almost certain it wasn't just from the mention of the ookami. Though he still knew her to be rather terrified of those loathsome creatures, the scent of her fear had flared before Myouga had even made mention of them! The taiyoukai stared down at his own sharp claws and he gasped in shock. At this moment --- was she --- was she frightened of HIM?

Feeling slightly sick to his stomach at her obvious horror, he quickly dispersed his youki and within seconds, the acid at his fingertips evaporated into nothingness. He quickly flicked Myouga into the nearest wall and swiftly moved towards her, his expression softening in his unexpected deep concern. "Rin," he murmured. "Heeki???"

"Yes, my lord," she answered, quickly coming back to herself to offer him a quivering half-smile. "It's nothing. Rin is just exhausted from the long day's journey and the cold weather."

Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed as Totosai released a quick, disapproving snort. Obviously, he mused, the old man was perfectly aware of the way the young woman would speak when she had something to hide.

"Poor little thing," the smith sympathized, not really referring to Rin's present physical condition. She was so young and naïve --- so trusting. If only her could make her see! During those months she had stayed with him, she had finally begun to come into her own, and now ---

If only he had just a bit more time with her! Just one more night even! All at once, a rather brilliant plan began to form in his scattered mind and he reached out to pat Rin's pale hand. "I told you that you would always be welcome here, missy! You should get out of those wet clothes and rest in your OLD room tonight," he offered slyly.

The taiyoukai looked up in surprise at this sudden suggestion. He had merely meant this visit as a means to discover any news about his enemies and then to continue on with his travels. After all, he knew of plenty of dry caves and sheltered valleys were they might spend the night, and he wasn't exactly comfortable with the thought of accepting any kind of aid from this insane old man who obviously had some sort of new grudge against him.

"This Sesshoumaru has other plans." he answered curtly, seeking to squash any debate before it even started. He turned on his heel, his long, purposeful strides bearing him unmistakably towards the exit.

"Right, well unless YOUR plans include using your Father's sword to revive your FAITHFUL companions again, then you'd better stay here." Totosai shot back sarcastically. "Another storm's already started --- you'll kill these two if you set foot out there tonight!"

"Storm?" Sesshoumaru gritted airily, as he continued to stalk towards the mouth of the cavern. "I smell NOTHING." He stepped back onto the ledge, growling in pure shock and anger at the heaping drifts of snow already piled before the sharp fangs of the demon's jaw that formed the entryway to the forge. He squinted into the prevailing darkness, his white hair snapping wildly in the raging wind, the hail stones stinging at his handsome, now sulking face ---

That old bastard had trapped him again.

And, to add insult to injury, he could clearly see the distinctive form of Aun, as the dragon slept, snuggled contentedly next to that obnoxious, old, fat cow in a fluffy snow-bank. There was no way they were moving now. The demon lord snarled in aggravation as Totosai moved to stand beside him with a smug, patronizing smile. "No offense, Wan-chan., but looks like your nose doesn't work so well in here. Though I thought I already PROVED that to you once before." He gestured over to Rin as she grinned up at him somewhat sheepishly.

"Don't worry, Lord Sesshoumaru --- don't be embarrassed! Neither your Honorable Father nor Master Inuyasha can sniff things out properly while in this place!" Myouga supplied a bit too cheerily as he bounced excitedly on Totosai's shoulder. "It's not just YOUR senses that are weakened at this forge!" The lively little flea suddenly caught the full brunt of the taiyoukai's furious gaze, and quickly snapped his mouth shut to choke down his remaining words. "W-well --- p-perhaps weakened i-isn't the best w-word ---" he stuttered, swiftly hopping away in his renewed horror.

With an exasperated sigh, Sesshoumaru conceded this minor defeat, and followed them --- reluctantly --- back into the warmth of the cave.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Soon after setting Jaken up on a small pallet in the weapons room, Rin returned to the main cavern, pausing for a moment in the shadows to stare wistfully at her master as he gazed into the bright flames of the forge with a faraway look.

He was so damn beautiful --- so damn breath-taking. And SO damn dangerous, she sighed inwardly, suddenly thinking back to his heavy-handed approach in dealing with such a weak creature as Myouga.

Such a weak but TRICKY creature as Myouga, she amended wryly, realizing that the small flea had presently snuck off to disappear somewhere unnoticed again. She glanced down at her bare arms, half expecting to feel that maddening little sting at any given moment. The young woman shook her head slowly --- yes, she'd definitely have to give her room a thorough inspection before she closed her eyes tonight. After all, she had no wish to turn into an easy meal as she slept! She giggled aloud at her own thoughts, and blinked in surprise as Sesshoumaru finally noticed her presence and fixed her with those striking eyes. Those striking, ancient and sad eyes. Looking at him now, Rin suddenly felt afraid again, though she couldn't even fathom the full reasons why.

Without a word, she nodded her head shyly and beckoned for him to follow her deeper into the sloping hallways that branched off from the back of the main cavern. She had never realized how small and narrow these dimly lit corridors were until she had seen her master try to negotiate them now. His tall, imposing frame seemed to fill the whole space, his large shadow cutting off the flickering torch-light. Time and time again, she found herself pausing in her tracks to stare back into his strange, inhuman eyes, fascinated by the way they seemed to shimmer with a pale greenish-white glow in the darkness.

Rin smiled nervously, as they finally reached her rough stone doorway "Ummm, this was mine --- when I lived here," she whispered, not really knowing what else to say.

"I can tell," he answered quietly. "Your scent is strongest here." He reached out to cup her cheek and guided her closer to lean against his armored chest. "Tears. I smell your tears."

The young woman inhaled deeply, not really wishing to remember the past few months. "Every night," she explained sadly. "Every night, I used to wish you would come back for me. I used to wish I could go back to that battlefield and do ---"

She quickly hid her face from him, not sure how she was going to finish that last statement. She was going to say that she wished she could have done things differently that night, but --- but that wasn't exactly true, was it? No, she stated firmly in her mind, it most certainly wasn't. During that last battle, she still couldn't imagine herself waiting for him, pacing in the shadows, wondering if he was wounded or in pain or --- or worse.

Rin felt a small tremor course down her spine at the morose nature of her thoughts. What did the future hold? And what of that damn promise she made the morning after they made love? Her promise to obey him --- to stay out of danger?

She reached up to toy with a lock of his silver hair, still so intrigued by its soft, delicate texture, and wished all this doubt and confusion would just go away. "But --- we don't have to talk about that, Sesshoumaru! You'll lie with me here tonight, just like I dreamed of back then!"

She felt him tense and the thought that had been worrying her since the moment the forge had come into view sprung into the forefront of her mind. "You WILL lie with me tonight, Sesshoumaru?" she asked, shuffling her feet on the dusty floor. "I mean, I know that other demons are here --- and --- and with me being human ---"

The taiyoukai grasped her pointed chin, tilted her head back and pressed his fingers against her lips to silence her. "Of course I will stay with you. This Sesshoumaru does not care about the opinions of some cowardly parasite and one lunatic old man," he responded, and for the slightest of moments, his lips twisted into a bored sneer at reminding himself of the utterly useless Totosai and Myouga.

"But after them," Rin murmured despondently, suddenly remembering the coming journey ahead. "Others --- others will find out, won't they? These past few days, I have tried to be --- I've tried to --- I don't want to shame you." Afraid of what he might say, she broke away from his grip and quickly returned to focus to her own bare feet.

Sesshoumaru choose not answer the girl's concerns, but merely reached for her again, backing her steadily under the threshold and into her old unlit chamber. The taiyoukai glanced around swiftly, still able to see in the inky gloom and finding himself moderately satisfied with the humble accommodations. Well, more than moderately satisfied, he thought, as he caught sight of that rather inviting-looking natural spring bubbling in the corner, and the cozily-small bed carved into the far wall. He smiled as Rin clung more tightly to his shoulders, reveling in the way that she was completely dependent upon him in these pitch-black shadows. "You do not wish to shame me?" he asked, eyes drifting shut at the sheer pleasure of having this sweet, engaging creature in his arms again. "Really? Is that the reason why you have been ignoring this Sesshoumaru then?"

Now it was Rin's turn to be shocked. "Ignoring you?" she repeated, rather dazed that someone who acted as bored and indifferent as he would be disappointed by her lack of attention. "But I thought --- I thought you would like me better if I behaved more like some high-born lady rather than a ---" Her words were silenced in the best possible way. Unable to really see anything in front of her face now that his gleaming eyes were quite obviously closed, she was startled by the sudden feeling of his lips pressed against hers.

Sesshoumaru broke away an instant later. "But that is not the Rin that I have come to know," he stated gently, his husky words breathed against the whorls of her tiny ear.

That is not the Rin I have come to care for. That is not the Rin I have come to love, whispered that hideously sentimental voice in his mind again --- the one he still could simply not give voice to. He opted instead to cut off any further rebuttal with another quick kiss and merely whispered, "I would prefer it if you would be yourself."

Rin bit her lip and stood on her tip-toes to thread her small arms about his neck, fingers reaching into the soft hair at his nape. "Hontou ni?" she queried, gazing into those glowing predatory eyes again. Without waiting for his answer, her soft, cool hands were moving again, trailing across the planes of his cheeks. She pulled the demon down to her, embracing him tightly in the darkness.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sesshoumaru couldn't sleep. This place was too damn unfamiliar. Smoky and grey and wholly uncomfortable and --- and, on top of it all, there was that unearthly racket that insane old creature was making at this ungodly hour! Why the hell did he ever agree to spend the night here in the first place? He tossed irritably under the covers, and willed sleep to take him. He turned first to one side and then to the other, trying to calm himself by staring into the sweet face of the peacefully slumbering Rin.

It didn't help.

As he stared at her thick lashes and the gentle rise and fall of her chest, all he could do was shake his head in amazement at the very fact that she could sleep through this at all.

To hell with the storm --- he couldn't stay here. He sat up in the small bed with an edgy, building groan.

Rin released a small sigh as he accidentally jostled her, and that small sound quickly snapped him back into reality. The girl needed to rest. If the disgusting little flea was correct, it was a long journey to the northern mountains and all of his companions would need their sleep to preserve their strength.

He placed a small, quick kiss on the girl's forehead, and quietly rose, pausing to rearrange the covers around her frame. After all of Totosai's thoroughly angry stares and thoroughly provoking snide little comments, he had little doubt the old man was making this ghastly noise just to torture him on purpose. And worst of all --- ever since he had noticed the old man staring at Rin's throat, he knew the real reason for his anger and it riled him to no end. He paced back down the darkened corridor. If he was going to be stuck in this forsaken stinking hole for the night, there was no way he was going to allow that crazy demon to think he had outwitted him again. He was going to put a quick end to this.

Sesshoumaru reached the main chamber and approached Totosai from behind, his movements leisurely and unhurried, his expression characteristically arrogant and smug. He was slightly surprised as the old man peeked over his shoulder, somehow managing to notice his stealthy advance despite the many acrid scents, and the ringing noises of the hammer and the rumble of the flames. Totosai turned to face him, his expression still cold and filled with lingering disgust. "Why are you awake? What the hell do you want?" he gritted through his few clenched teeth.

He met the straggly demon's glare measure-for-measure, but remained motionless --- rooted to the spot. For Rin's sake, try not to rip him into a thousand bloody pieces where he stands, Sesshoumaru repeated over and over in his mind, attempting to wrestle down his building anger and remain at least somewhat civil. He raised an elegant hand and gestured absently towards the mallet and roaring fire. "The noise is enough to wake the dead, you fool."

"Well, if you don't like it you can go sleep outside --- like the DOG you are." Totosai whirled fully towards the taiyoukai, his hands planted reproachfully on his hips, his expression full of scorn ---

Sesshoumaru snarled in outrage and stomped forward to confront the old man face-to-face. "How dare you?!" he seethed. "I am not some pup eager to learn a new lesson! This Sesshoumaru is attempting to be lenient with you --- but do not delude yourself into believing you can judge the Lord of the Western Lands! You will not speak in such an insolent manner simply because Rin cares for you! Her feelings will not save you from my claws if you insist on this showing this disrespect ---"

The smith cut off the demon lord's next words with an angry tirade of his own. "Oh, shut up, flea-bag! I already know you don't REALLY care what Rin thinks. You've already made that perfectly obvious! That's why I'm so sickened by you now! Ohhhh --- I suppose you think you're very clever, don't you, boy!"

"These fumes have obviously addled what was left of your powers of reasoning! I do not know what the hell you are raving about, you brain-damaged lunatic!" he snapped back, pausing to swat an un-tempered, sword from a cooling rack in his great rage. There --- something was broken. He felt moderately better ---

Totosai raised his ragged eyebrows at that petulant, childish action and his shoulders hunched in annoyance each and every time the sword clattered loudly on the sharp rocks below. He waited till the rattling and scraping had stopped before continuing dramatically with his rant. "Oh really?! You're as terrible at lying as that young girl is herself! You know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I'm talking about Rin and your intentions towards her. Or perhaps lack there of, would be more like it!"

Sesshoumaru rolled his golden eyes and turned quickly, deciding it was best to return to bed before he tore a few more things from the walls in his wrath. "You wanted this Sesshoumaru to take the girl and now that I have, you are angry? Or perhaps you ARE truly senile and merely do not remember?" he goaded over his shoulder. "Whatever the case, I grow tired of you and I will retire back to that --- that pitiful excuse for a room ---"

"Hey! I'm not finished with you!" Totosai hissed, coursing angrily at his heels. He leapt forward to stomp on the taiyoukai's trailing tail, causing the demon lord to choke a sputtered curse in his outrage and swipe out viciously with his poison talons. The laughing old youkai jumped back with surprising agility, pausing to regard the younger demon with a curious expression. "That got ya mad, didn't it! Well, not as mad as I am right now! After all, I didn't return Rin to you so you could turn her into your --- your tayu!"

Sesshoumaru's nostrils flared at that word, as a sudden vision of the damn hanyou's mother flashed uncomfortably into his mind. The dog demon growled, spinning back to seize the old man by his smudged and dusty collar. "Tayu?! You have no clue what you're talking about! And `return her to me'?! The girl was always MINE to take! Rin wants to remain with this Sesshoumaru --- EIEN NI!"

"She wants to remain as your LOVE, not your --- not your --- I can't even say the real word," the sword-smith trailed off, shaking his gray head sadly. "She deserves more! She deserves more than a selfish, ego-driven, young fool!"

"You ARE insane! First you insist that this Sesshoumaru take the girl and now you are angry that I have!" he bellowed, past caring that for the first time ever he had actually repeated himself in an argument.

"But I thought you'd take more time!" Totosai protested. "I thought you'd sort through ALL of your feelings before truly making her your own! Her heart is so much greater than yours --- she IS more than you deserve!

"What's going on?" came a sweet, sleepy voice from the far corridor. Rin padded groggily into the forge and fixed them in turn with her curious, apprehensive stare. "Is everything alright?" she whispered. "My lord? Ojii-sama? Why is everyone up?"

"It's alright. Rin return to your room at once."

"But Sesshoumaru --- daijoubu ne?"

Totosai snorted and mumbled something under his breath that she could not hear. But whatever it was, it caused her master's cheeks to flame scarlet in renewed anger.

"Return to the room! NOW, Rin!" he repeated more forcefully, his fine silvery hair swirling about his tall form as his power rose in response to some aberrant, unrestrained emotion.

Rin's jaw dropped open at his odd behavior, and that harsh and strangely desperate tone in his deep voice. She continued to glance back and forth between the two demons in panic. What was going on? Her lord and Totosai had been REALLY fighting again, of that she was sure. Her gaze came to a fixed stop on Sesshoumaru and she gasped, suddenly realizing what he had just asked of her.

He --- he wanted her to go away?

She bowed her head and nodded her assent, stealing one last quick glance back at the pair as she marched dutifully, unquestioningly, down the darkened hallway.

Gods --- she was too tired to deal with this anyway! the young woman fumed in unvoiced indignation. But one thing was for sure --- she had never seen Totosai so outraged. And she had never seen her master seem so apprehensive either.

You're such an idiot! she silently chided herself, kicking a stone loose from the uneven floor. Why did you have to go and announce your presence? Sesshoumaru's senses seemed to be overwhelmed by the forge and she was fairly certain she could have snuck up upon them and overheard their whole argument --- if she had been more clever!

Rin continued to curse her own actions as she back-tracked her way slowly down the winding tunnel. She walked numbly past the still blissfully snoring Jaken, successfully resisting the strong urge to knock him awake out of sheer spite. After all, how the hell was SHE supposed to fall back sleep after this! She slunk back to her small chamber, still mulling over the stupidity of this whole situation. She loved so few people in this world --- hell, she knew so FEW people in this world --- so why couldn't they get along if only for a few hours!? She hurriedly resettled herself in her bed, violently smacking at her pillows as she tried to cheer herself by remembering the many long nights she had wished for Sesshoumaru to come and find her here. All those fantasies were now realities, she reminded herself over and over. She was his! She flashed a self-satisfied grin at the ceiling, biting her lip coyly, realizing that any minute he would be returning for her ---

"Any minute now," she whispered aloud as her tired eyes drifted closed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Rin stirred early the next morning, still feeling slightly dazed as she remembered the events of the night before. Sesshoumaru HAD returned to her bed soon after she had nodded off to sleep. He had roused her at once, his manner unusually stern and gruff. Though what had transpired between them had still been admittedly wonderfully, something was very wrong. Her master was demanding, frenzied and forceful, and, though it had been rather exciting to see him so desperate, somehow it just wasn't the same. Where he was always so tender, considerate and slow --- last night --- last night it seemed like his thoughts were elsewhere. She didn't mind his rough passion, but --- but she only wished she knew just what was bothering him so.

With a low groan, Rin finally opened her soft hazel eyes to find her lord already awake, and sitting up in bed as he silently regarded her. "Ohayou," she exclaimed quickly only to be silenced by a fierce kiss. She giggled, trying to lighten his clearly still terrible mood, and twisted her head away as she struggled for breath. "My lord! Not here! Not again! Everyone's awake!"

He merely snarled in response, his hands tightening possessively around her shoulders. He swept aside her long hair, lips moving enticingly over the hollow of her pale throat. She gasped aloud and then gave him a playful slap on the shoulder. "Stop! No --- no! Sesshou --- I mean it! Last night was bad enough! There are too many people here!"

"They were here last night too, yet you did not seem to mind!" he reasoned seductively, grabbing her by the knees and flipping her onto her stomach.

"Yes! But they were asleep!" she argued, crawling forward to scoot agilely across the light blankets and out of his reach. Why was he looking at her like that? As if she was something to be subdued and conquered? "Everyone's awake now!" she reasoned. "They might hear!"

"Kamawanu. This Sesshoumaru does not care," he growled, advancing upon her again and pushing her down into the kaimaki

Rin's face flamed crimson. "But I do," she whispered in a shaky voice. "It's --- it's --- embarrassing."

"Embarrassing?" he echoed incredulously. The demon lord blinked in astonishment as the girl waited nervously, fervently hoping he wasn't truly angry with her. After a long, pregnant pause, he groaned in annoyance and rolled to the edge of the bed. "Come, collect your things," he whispered, bending to retrieve his swords and scattered clothing. "I wish to leave this foul place as soon as possible."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

They made their way back out to the main cavern and Rin's steps faltered as many sets of eyes turned up from the crackling fire to scrutinize her at once. Myouga-jiijii, and Jaken-sama, and Totosai --- and even Aun and Momo, who had obviously plodded in sometime during the night to escape the frightful weather! All just sitting there, regarding her as if she had suddenly sprouted three heads! She shrunk back in deep mortification, wondering what they could all be thinking when they gazed upon her, standing so small and weak next to the towering form of the great Lord Sesshoumaru.

After what felt like hours, they finally dropped their prying gazes, and returned to their breakfasts while conversing blandly with one another.

For what seemed like the fiftieth time in this whole awful day, Rin found herself blushing scarlet as she took her place among them. She just couldn't help it. For despite whatever Tenseiga had done to her body and soul, the fact remained that she was a simple human girl lost and alone amongst powerful demons. And with their heightened, discriminating senses there were layers upon layers of subtle clues and messages flowing through this conversation that she could never even begin to be a part of! She glanced around nervously, suddenly acutely aware that she was essentially blind to half of this awkward exchange. In a single second, THEY could note a quick flash in body temperature, the tempo of blood as it rushed under the skin, the quickened cadence of an anxious heart, or the scent of fear ---

Or the thick scent arousal or recent mating, her mind whispered in dismay as she glanced down at her form. She rubbed her hands self-consciously on the pale silk of her white hakama. They clearly already knew she had become Sesshoumaru's lover but --- but this was a bit humiliating.

Nevertheless, she forced herself to remain seated in the uneasy circle around the breakfast hearth, clasping her hands together tightly. Quite unexpectedly, her master sunk down to stretch out behind her and ALL conversation died.

No one spoke.

In fact, the only sounds now were the dull roar of the flames in the foundry, the slow drip of melted snow as it pooled by the arching entrance to the cavern, and Jaken, who, at the present, was smacking his thin lips and slurping rather loudly at his tea.

Rin swallowed thickly, and glanced back up to her master. Sesshoumaru was so close behind her that she was nearly in his lap and his long clawed hand was draped possessively about her slight shoulder as if he was daring someone to speak to her! It seemed that when the handsome youkai lord wasn't glaring at the other creatures shifting uncomfortably at the fire's edge, he was scowling straight at the rough earthenware mug that had been set before him as if willing the simple piece of pottery to dissolve back into mud. The young woman chewed at her lower lip in her unease, her loyalties torn. Like those first few days when she had returned to her lord, this was another dangerous game, and she worried that she didn't have the experience or the tact to see it through. Everyone was either furious or frightened, and somehow, in some way ---- it had EVERYTHING to do with her.

Totosai suddenly fixed her with his glance, his eyes narrowing at the way Sesshoumaru was currently tapping the claw of his forefinger against her collarbone in his obvious agitation. The ancient youkai cleared his throat, coughing up small puffs of dark smoke in the process and finally called out, "Where's that spear of yours, little one? Figure I can take a look at it before you head out on your way."

At his unexpected words, the initially startled Rin leapt to her feet, grateful for something to break the ghastly stillness. She tried to ignore the way Sesshoumaru's hand clutched at her haori for the barest of moments as she rose. She raced eagerly to the entryway, and snatched up her pike with an accomplished smile, suddenly remembering how she had defeated its power and claimed ownership of the naginata at a time that now felt like an age ago. She spun the spear in a graceful, controlled defensive motion, giddily pretending she was parrying some imaginary blow, and abruptly realized that her master had never before seen her brandish it in this manner. Sure, he HAD seen her carry it and use it as a simple tool while they foraged along the white beach back home --- but she had never wielded the naginata for its real purpose. In his presence, she had never before handled as it if it were a weapon! She caught his dark, strangely apprehensive look, and wordlessly --- mutely --- handed the pike over to Totosai as quickly as possible.

The old smith hefted her naginata in his chapped hands, expertly inspecting the shaft and the sharpness of the blade. "This doesn't look like it needs to be whetted or repaired at all. Looks like it's been lying idle, collecting dust in some corner, like it was when you found it! Young lady, have you been continuing with your practicing, or not?" he asked pointedly, his eyes still focused solely on Sesshoumaru.

"Well, no," Rin mumbled, "I have not had the time."

"And how bout your drawings?" The old demon inquired with feigned pleasantry. "Been working on any new designs?"

"No," she answered just as sheepishly. "But, ummmm, I mean to! After all, Sesshoumaru-sama has just graciously provided me with all manner of supplies: parchment and ink and brushes --- I just haven't been able to use them. Well, we've all been too busy."

There was another long, loooong, terrible pause.

"Ahem, I guess that's alright," Totosai finally crowed out happily, as he gestured towards the rough stone workbench. "Luckily, I still have all of your OLD designs and templates lying around. And, well, last night --- I made something special just for you!"

"You made something for ME?!" Rin repeated in disbelief, stepping lightly in the direction he'd indicated.

Sesshoumaru followed the old man's hand as it waved over the varied pieces of armor hanging from the grimy walls. His eyes narrowed once more as they focused on a rather distinctive breast-plate. In an instant, he discerned it was crafted of hammered iron, not bone, which could only mean it was made for a human ---

And, judging by its small size, the human it was intended for would have to be of exceedingly short stature and of astonishingly slight build.

His dark eyebrows furrowed in indignation, and, just as he fully grasped the full situation, his thoughts were interrupted by a delighted gasp from Rin.

"Mine?!" she cried, feeling completely overwhelmed as she ran her slim, feminine fingers across the cold, tempered metal. "It's beautiful!"

Rin continued to stare in utter enthrallment at the finely-crafted piece of armor. It was very different from what her lord currently wore --- consisting only of a single shoulder guard of short, flat overlapping spikes and a simple, narrow polished band to cover the upper-chest. Her dazzling smile widened as she finally focused her attention on the embellished carvings adorning it. It WAS one of her designs --- the same motif, in fact, that ran along the silvery shaft of her naginata!

"Sesshoumaru-sama!" she shouted excitedly, racing forward to allow Totosai to begin clasping the armor around her petite figure. "Can you believe this? Isn't it beautiful!" She turned excitedly, wishing there was some manner of looking glass here in the forge so she could admire her new appearance.

Her exhilaration and fervor died as soon as she caught the taiyoukai's eyes again. They were burning with inexplicable anger. "What is the meaning of this, old man?" he snapped, ignoring Rin and rising to his full height to tower over the other demons menacingly.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Totosai responded with an offhanded wave.

"You mean to say you do not find this to be an inappropriate gift?" Sesshoumaru muttered, his tone becoming increasingly heated with each and every syllable. "Are you implying that this Sesshoumaru cannot adequately defend what is his?"

Rin looked up in shock, breath rushing from her lungs, as she was momentarily stunned by both Sesshoumaru's words and the fact that Totosai had just pulled the buckles of her new armor tighter than he probably meant to. At her small squeak, Jaken fixed her with a worried frown, bulbous eyes darting back and forth between his master and the sword-smith. His lord's claws were flexed as if he were preparing to snatch the girl back again. For her sake, he fervently hoped this didn't rocket into some sadistic little tug-of-war! Though she could be a terrible pest at times, and most certainly DID deserve a sound beating now and then, he had no wish to see Rin really injured ---

But the two hostile demons did not seem to notice at all and merely continued on with their bizarre battle for the young woman's `well-being'.

"Can't defend what's yours! I'm not implying that at all!" Totosai laughed out harshly. "My, isn't this ironic? I seem to remember a time when you were clamoring for my services! Begging like a common village cur! And now I freely offer my talents to your `mate' and you wish to refuse me?" The crafty youkai's scowl deepened in undisguised resentment. "You selfish hound --- don't you want her to have all the protection she can get?"

Sesshoumaru's nostrils flared. "Of course I do, you half-wit! But I am thinking about the girl's comfort as well. This Sesshoumaru travels quickly and light, and we cannot afford to be slowed down as she struggles in some damned ---"

Totosai's cut him off, his ire growing with each passing moment. "Nonsense, yogoreta baka na inu me, I've crafted this to be especially delicate! It's not much really --- if you'll notice the iron merely shields the heart. And what could be more appropriate? After all, these days, that is where Rin needs the most protection --- wouldn't you agree, Inu no TAISHO???" he growled, as smoke began to seep from his throat again.

Rin listened to the exchange with growing dread. What was that? Protect her heart? She turned back to Sesshoumaru, not really surprised to see the strips on his cheeks had nearly flared to purple in his rage. She watched helplessly as the whites of his eyes began to flood with crimson, and cringed when a she heard his knuckles crack threateningly.

"You decayed, senile, decrepit, scrawny ---" the demon lord snarled.

Totosai allowed him to continue for a moment, his breathing hard and ragged. He stole another quick glance at Rin again, focusing on that new mark on her throat --- and something seemed to snap inside him. "You worthless STRAY! You evil, selfish, no-good, grasping, stuck-up, conceited, devious, heart-less, soul-less, conniving ---" he thundered, struggling to raise the volume of his voice above the taiyoukai's!

Jaken roared in outrage, while Rin's jaw dropped in absolute horror and she cast a fearful look up at Sesshoumaru-sama. Her master's mouth was set in a tight, grim line and the walls of the cavern were starting to rattle in perfect sync with his building, resonating growl. What was happening? Ojii-sama was SO angry with her master and seeking to provoke him on purpose. But why? She could still see no real reason ---

Rin couldn't take much more. "Sesshoumaru-sama! Please!" She raced forward to seize a fistful of his billowing sleeve, hoping to calm him before this fight escalated beyond the point of no return. "I don't think Ojji-sama means for this gift to be an insult to you!" she cried, somewhat skeptically. "Please! It's wonderful --- and I love it! It won't slow me down and --- and --- besides, I think I know the real reason that you're upset." She grasped his hands tightly, just as his eyes flashed to blood red, not caring that the other youkai present were all staring at her in stunned silence.

"I swear to you now, my lord, that I won't go out looking for trouble simply because I wear this! I remember my first vow!" she gritted desperately, as she brushed his cheek tenderly with the back of her hand. "Please! Let us accept this gift and --- and let us leave. I beg you --- let's continue on our way. Rin wa mou ikitaku natta."

The red haze faded and Sesshoumaru's look softened at her practical words and her pleading eyes. He was being an ass. As much as he relished the thought of getting back at Totosai, it WAS truly beneath his dignity. Besides, by remaining here any longer and continuing this fight, the only creature he was REALLY hurting was Rin. She was obviously enchanted with Totosai's present and --- as much as he hated to admit it, the old demon was right. He did have many enemies and if he truly loved the girl, he SHOULD accept anything that would aid her or add to her defense. But --- the symbolism of this armor was not lost on him and tore at his already guilty conscience. Protect her heart, huh? He bristled at Totosai's observations --- the old fool WAS wrong. Again.

His shoulders straightened and he nodded curtly at the sword-smith. "As it clearly pleases Rin, this Sesshoumaru will accept your gift --- `gratefully'." The taiyoukai's last words were ground out in a deep, icy hiss. "Unconventional and unnecessary as it may be."

Without another backward glance, he strode quickly towards the entryway, his hand straying to the hilt of Toukijin, fully prepared to disintegrate any obstacle in his path. He would not stay in this rank, smoky hole for a moment longer.

Thankfully, the demon lord found the sky crisp and clear, and he stared wistfully into the north, wondering what he would be forced to endure next. It looked like he would be pursuing his wretched half-brother again, and, misfortune and aggravation ALWAYS seemed to follow whenever he tread that course. Maybe, he reasoned, he should just quit toying with the mutt, kill him, and get it over with.

"Iku zo." Sesshoumaru stated softly, as he beckoned for Rin. She offered a small wave of farewell to Totosai, and hurried to his side, still seeming to be rather shocked that he had agreed to her request.

"Thank you," she whispered. "Thank you so much." He turned to her, his face conveying no emotion in response to her quiet words. Yet despite his empty expression, he leaned closer and gently assisted her into the waiting Aun's saddle. Rin's breath caught at the simple, tender gesture. The taiyoukai knew she was not accustomed to the weight of her new armor and he was --- he was taking the time to help her? But, even more significantly, he was taking the time to help her in front of an audience of astonished demons, each and every one of them gaping open-mouthed at his every move.

Sesshoumaru stroked Rin's thigh fondly and glanced up into her giddy, devoted hazel eyes. "We should be on our way," he murmured. "If that spineless flea is correct, we have quite a distance to cover. Inuyasha's trail should be easy enough to follow though. Unlike us, that runt has never been smart enough to exercise discretion in concealing his trail."

"Us?" Rin gasped, gazing at him in wonder.

But Sesshoumaru did not answer, having already turned away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

So, what did you think? Okay, okay - I know Sess is OOC. But I guess, I wanted to make him confused in this whole transition thing too. Kind of think, he'd be a little, well, a bit unpredictable. Have lots of drama planned for the poor guy and I wanted to make him a bit edgy at the possibility of someone dampening Rin's adoring opinions of him. Hmmmmm, could that be foreshadowing! Really, looking forward to the mayhem in Chapter 21 - evil laughter.

Vocab:

Daijoubu - are you alright?

EIEN NI - forever

Heeki - is everything alright?

Irasshai - welcome! (In an warmer way! Like if an old friend were to show up on your door!)

Kamawanu - I do not care

Machinasai! Machinasai! - Wait! Wait!

Mou hitotsu no kakera - another shard!

Rin wa mou ikitaku natta - Rin wants to go.

Shiriken - throwing star

Tottemo utsukushikute - very beautiful

Yogoreta baka na inu me - you stupid filthy dog!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Antisocial Mint - Glad you liked the Kouga part. It was funny to write! Sorry, poor Kohaku's in some trouble --- the cavalry did not arrive!

Essie - yep, tons o' new drama planned!

New fan - I'll try to keep those updates quick!

Rayjay - thanks so much for the vote! Wow!