InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Emergence ❯ Into the Past ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: I am sorry this took so long, but to make up for it I am posting Chapter 10 tomorrow Chapter 11 on Wednesday and Chapter 12 Monday. That should have me set back on track to update weekly once again. Thanks for sticking with me and I hope you enjoy...

~ * ~

Shippou pouted as he sat on the lip of the well and stared down at the dirt below. He did the same thing every day near dusk hoping that Kagome and InuYasha would return. With Miroku and Sango spending increasingly more time together alone, from which more and more frequently Miroku returned without having been slapped, the young kit found himself lonely. Shippou frowned and jumped down from the well to head back to the village before it got dark.

He entered the hut of the elderly miko to find dinner nearly ready and that Miroku and Sango had yet to return. Kirara approached him and mewed softly rubbing against his side. Shippou ran his hand along the smooth fur of the fire cat. He winkled his nose as Sango and Miroku entered from behind the reed mat. They also came back smelling more like each other whenever they went off alone.

“InuYasha’s been gone a long time.” Shippou said.

“That he has.” Miroku offered.

“Do you think he’ll be back soon with Kagome?” The kit asked.

“I don’t know.” Miroku replied. “I would not worry since his continued absence can only mean that Kagome is still with us. I have no doubt that they will both return as soon as possible.”

“That’s right Shippou.” Sango added. “They’ll come back we just have to be patient.”

Shippou snorted in a very InuYasha like way and folded his arms. “Keh, that’s easy for you to say, when you’re not the one left alone all the time. Why do you and Miroku need to go on so many walks anyway?”

Sango blushed and coughed lightly as Kaede’s raspy laughter filled the hut. Miroku opened his mouth to reply and caught Sango’s glare, effectively chancing his answer to, “I’ll tell you when you’re older.”

“You two don’t even miss Kagome or InuYasha.” Shippou said standing up. He glared at Miroku. “I may be a kid but I know more than you think. I bet you only want her to come back because Sango won’t marry you until she does.”

The three adults watched as the kit ran out of the hut followed closely by Kirara.

Sango frowned. “I never realized... We’ve been so selfish. This must be very hard for him. Kagome would be so upset. She would have expected us to take care of him in her absence.”

Miroku touched one of the hands folded in her lap and she looked at him. “You can not blame yourself. We all thought it would be better to shield him from our own worry.”

“Should we go after him?” Sango asked.

“Kirara is with him.” Miroku replied. “We will give him a chance to calm down and then when he returns we can speak to him.”

~ * ~

Shippou made his way to the well with Kirara trailing along behind him. He jumped in and landed with a thud at the bottom. As his tears dampened the dry earth he dug a small hole with his tiny claws, hoping that whatever magic allowed Kagome and InuYasha to pass through time would allow him to as well.

Kirara landed softly beside the kit and mewed. She placed her paws over his hands and then pressed herself to him. She issued a soft purring when he stopped digging and began to stroke her fur.

“It’s not fair.” Shippou said. “I should be allowed to go through the well too. I need her just as much as he does, and I’m not the one who is always mean to her and makes her leave in the first place.”

Shippou started to cry. He lay on his side with Kirara against his chest and slowly sleep claimed him.

~ * ~

Miroku and Sango woke and at once both noticed that Kirara and Shippou had not returned, so they got up quickly and went in search of them. They silently agreed on where to look first and walked together toward the dry well.

When they peered over the edge they were met with the fire cat and the fox curled up together at the bottom. Kirara roused the kitsune and both managed to climb out using the vines growing downs the side of the well. Shippou glared at the two humans and folded his arms much like InuYasha was known to do.

“Shippou we want to apologize.” Miroku started. “We thought that if you knew how concerned we both are about Kagome that it would make you even more upset.”

“We also didn’t stop to think about how our leaving you so often would make you feel.” Sango offered.

“The truth is we miss Kagome and surprisingly enough, InuYasha, very much.” Miroku continued. “We promise that things will be different from now on, now that we know how you feel.”

“Really?” Shippou asked.

Sango nodded. “We never wanted it to seem like we didn’t care if they come back. Kagome has been like a sister to me, and it has been very hard for me not knowing if she will be returning to us. We just have to have faith in her and in InuYasha and pray that they will return soon. Until then we’ll simply have to rely on each other for strength and solace.”

“Okay.” Shippou agreed jumping to Sango’s arms.

~ * ~

Miroku and Sango kept to their word and Shippou wasn’t as lonely as he had been. They still went on their walks, but not as often and made sure to find activities to include him in. Kirara though still maintained her position as his most constant companion.

He and the fire cat were stalking through the forest close to the village, so Shippou could practice hunting, when suddenly Kirara roared and transformed. Shippou raised his head and tried to figure out what she sensed. He didn’t get much of an opportunity though as Kirara grabbed him in her jaws and flew off to find Sango and Miroku.

The kit blushed and covered his eyes as they landed. Miroku and Sango were kissing locked in a tight embrace. The lecherous houshi even had his hand on the slayer’s backside and yet his face remained unmarred. Kirara mewed loudly and the two broke apart.

Sango blushed and looked quite flustered, while the monk only managed to look mildly irritated by the interruption. Shippou shook his head. He would never understand adults.

“Kirara what is it?” Sango asked.

The fire cat turned her head toward the trees and roared.

“I feel a very powerful youkai approaching.” Miroku said. “We should return to the village at once.”

They all climbed onto Kirara and flew back to the village. Kaede looked up when they entered the hut and grabbed their weapons. She followed them outside only to see that the village was quiet most people had retreated into their homes. A single man ran toward them.

He stopped when he saw the village miko along side the monk and taijiya. “Please protect us Kaede -sama. Three youkai are coming. You must save us.”

“Be at ease.” Kaede told the frightened villagers that had begun to gather around her. “We will see to this youkai.”

~ * ~

Sesshomaru’s face remained impassive as he ignored the cowering humans, hiding in their homes with more than a little distaste. As if they could escape him, or hide from him, if he wished to destroy them and their pathetic village. He loathed walking among humans. They were irrational, foolish and weak; too far beneath him to be worthy of his time or the minimal effort it would take him to rid himself of their presence.

He glanced back at the human girl riding AhUn before returning his view to the road before him. Jaken as always was running along beside him questioning him to the end of his patience while trying to keep up.

“Silence Jaken.” the tai youkai said quietly.

“Jaken, leave Sesshomaru-sama alone.” Rin said. “He is a great Lord and does not need to explain his reasons to you.”

Sesshomaru made no outward sign but he was slightly amused. The girl of course was correct. She unlike the toad-like imp never questioned him. He never would have expected such unwavering loyalty and devotion from a human and a child no less, and that is why even now as she was coming into the age of a woman he would not send her to live among her own kind.

He rationalized it to himself that he was weary of having to explain himself and her blind faith was a relief at times. It also occurred to him that if he tried to leave her she would likely follow him and it would not be worth the effort to try and force her to stay behind. He would even go so far as to admit a slight fondness for his human ward, like one would have for a pet, but nothing more. No matter how untrue that might be.

As he walked the tai youkai noted with mild curiosity, but definitely not concern, that his brother’s scent in and around this village was stale and almost nonexistent, as was that of his miko. This did not bode well for his purpose in bringing Rin here.

Sango a top Kirara landed and Miroku stopped running when they saw exactly which youkai it was approaching. Sesshomaru’s only real fights had been with InuYasha and even those had ceased since just before Naraku had been defeated.

“Where are my brother and his miko?” Sesshomaru demanded.

“They are not here.” Miroku offered. “Kagome was injured in her home land and InuYasha went to aid her recovery.”

Sesshomaru’s eyes gave the only indication of his displeasure. This was an inconvenience. “When are they expected to return?”

“We do not know.” Sango told him. “We have no way to send or receive word on her condition.”

Rin had jumped down for her place on AhUn and was currently talking to the young kitsune youkai. Her scent reached him more thickly again as the wind blew softly in his direction. The taijiya was a female human. She would have to do in light of the situation.

“You woman will aid this Sesshomaru.” he announced. “Jaken take AhUn and go wait until I come for you.”

“But where would you have us go my Lord?” Jaken whined.

“Away from the village.” Sesshomaru replied. “Now leave at once. You, monk, take the kitsune and leave as well.”

“Just what do you need her for?” Miroku asked.

Sango noted the tai youkai as he glanced at the human girl with him. “Miroku, its all right. Just take Shippou and go back to Keade’s. Kirara can remain with me. I believe I know why he is here.”

“Are you certain?” Miroku questioned.

“Yes. I believe Rin and I are going to need to speak privately.” Sango replied. She looked to the stoic youkai who gave her a slight nod.

The others left.

“Rin you are to go with the Taijiya. You are to listen to what she tells you. I will return for you after.” Sesshomaru told her.

“Yes Sesshomaru-sama.” Rin replied.

~ * ~

While Sango was off with Rin, Sesshomaru sought out the monk. Miroku stepped outside of the elderly miko’s hut to meet him.

“This Sesshomaru would speak to you more about the miko and my brother.” He said.

Miroku noticed the villagers peeking out of their homes still frightened, but also curious. “Perhaps it would be best if we were to speak somewhere more private.”

Sesshomaru turned and walked off toward the tree line and Miroku knew that he was expected to follow. The tai youkai continued on until he reached the dry well and the ancient tree in which he often found his brother while the miko was away.

“The miko, her scent often leads to this place. It disappears into this well and many times I have sought my younger brother out only to find his scent has done so as well.” Sesshomaru questioned. “What power does this well have? Where does it lead?”

Miroku was at a loss. InuYasha would kill him if he revealed the secret of the well but Sesshomaru would kill him if he didn’t. It was quite a dilemma. After much thought he decided to reveal as little as possible and rely on Kagome’s forgiving nature and kind heart to protect him when they returned.

“It leads to Kagome’s home land.” Miroku offered.

“Where?” Sesshomaru demanded.

Miroku cleared his throat. “I cannot say exactly.”

Amber eyes narrowed and pinned the human monk with a fierce glower. “You will tell this Sesshomaru what he wishes to know. Do not think to lie.”

“Perhaps I should have said that it is not a matter of where, but of when.” Miroku tried. “Kagome’s family are the keepers of the shrine on these lands.”

“You would have me believe this to be portal through time?” Sesshomaru pressed.

“Whether you believe or not that is the truth. Kagome comes to us not from a distant land but from the future. A distant time with many strange wonders you could not even begin to imagine.” Miroku told him. “Only she and InuYasha are able to pass and we believe it to be because of their connection to the sacred jewel. It was in her time that Kagome was injured by something called a moto-cycle.”

“What is this moto-cycle?” Sesshomaru asked.

“From what I understand it is similar to the by-cycle Kagome used to bring on our travels.” Miroku explained. “It possesses two wheels and is constructed of metal.”

“I have seen this by-cycle.” Sesshomaru said, getting annoyed as the monk spoke to him like a child.

“Supposedly a moto-cycle can travel faster than any horse, perhaps even as fast as a youkai.” Miroku continued. “Kagome was struck and injured very badly. She was taken to a place of healing in a state of sleep from which she could not be woken. InuYasha has journeyed to that place in hopes of waking her as she woke him. It has been several cycles of the moon since she left and us and two after that InuYasha followed.”

~ * ~

Thankfully Sesshomaru hadn’t asked any more questions and left once he had retrieved Rin from Sango. Shippou had gone off with Kirara once again and Miroku took the opportunity to talk privately with Sango about what had happened with the tai youkai.

Miroku sat beside the fire pit as Sango stirred Kaede’s stew. The elderly miko was out tending to and reassuring the villagers.

“Sango, Sesshomaru asked me about the well.” Miroku started.

The taijiya stopped what she was doing and looked at the monk. “What did you tell him?”

“I explained that it was the portal to Kagome’s homeland.” Miroku replied. “He was not satisfied and demanded to know exactly where that was, and so I told him that the better question would be when.”

“InuYasha is going to be furious.” Sango gasped. “He has made it more than clear that no one else was to know. Did you tell him anything else?”

“Simply the details of her injury and how long they have been gone.” Miroku answered.

“Well there is nothing to be done about it now.” Sango sighed. “Let us hope that when he finds out Kagome is with him, to keep him from killing you. It would be a shame to have survived Naraku and his curse as well as at last having found a woman willing to bear your child only to die before wedding her.”

Miroku laughed. “Indeed it would my darling Sango.”