InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Everlasting ❯ It Was You ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

He was backed into a corner. Bandits held their weapons ready to strike him at any second. “Just hand over the goods and you might escape with your life!” The leader of the pack advised. But the man just stood there. Emotionless was his face. He expressed no fear, nothing shown through his eyes. The leader stepped closer and put the tip of his sword under the mans chin. “So you want to do this the hard way, eh?” Still nothing. “I'm not afraid. Kill me if you want. But are you sure I'm really the one you should be hunting?” He smirked.
 
Cornered
 
One of the bandits jumped at the man and grabbed a handful of his long black hair that flowed down his back. Another tore at his worn red kimono and matching kahama pants. The leader just laughed as he watched his minions strike the wanderer. “That's enough!” he finally cried out. He took control of his followers then pushed the wanderer into the stone he stood before. He snatched away the tiny gold sack from his belt and signaled that he was through. The now wounded man did nothing as he slipped to the ground. Falling into darkness, unconsciousness.
 
Hunted
 
A whirlwind of blood red and rich black color arose from the ground. With a simple slash of her sword it disappeared. Falling to the ground below her feet. She sheathed her sword and walked closer to the scent. Her senses picked up one near their time. And it was her job to make the time come. She drew closer to the dark future. That's when she first saw him. He lay on the ground with his back against the silver stone. His eyes were closed but she knew he was still alive. Drenching his body was the scent of life. A light, fading aura surrounded his struggling form. One only she could see. His face expressed pain now, along with the determination to stay alive.
 
Dying
 
She was about to unsheathe her sword and take the man's life. But he opened his eyes. “W-who a-are you?” he stuttered.
 
Silence
 
“Who are you?” he asked again more clearly.
 
Still silence
 
He didn't bother to repeat his question again. He just looked at her.
 
Waiting
 
He studied her. Everything about her interested him. She had the form of an angel almost. But the looks of a devil. Not just any devil though, she was… special.
 
Death
 
She had long, strait, midnight-black hair that flowed smoothly down her back. She wore clothing he never saw anywhere else. `She can't be human.' Her clothing consisted of long black sleeves that were to thin to be for a kimono. It did not cross in the front as did his. Pure black. Her pants were not baggy as his. She did not dress as any woman would.
 
Different
 
He tried to stand but didn't have the strength. “Are you here to take my life, devil?” No fear in his voice.
 
Still more silence
 
Instead of simply taking the weak mortals life, she felt… pity. She reached out her hand to him and helped him stand. `He has a strong will to survive…' “I'll spare you this time, and take you back to your home.” Her first words towards him. He reached back to her and gripped her hand. Her skin so soft, yet so cold. He felt a bit of strength come back to him with her touch. But instead his second attempt to stand failed. A soft sigh escaped her lips. She picked him up and spread her dark wings.
 
Amazing
 
“Tell me now, in what direction do you live?” she spoke plainly. “Not far north of here. Just outside the nearest village. In the middle of the outer field.” He instructed. She nodded and her wings started to move. Slowly they lifted off the ground. He stared at the ground amazed.
 
Flight
 
She took off in the direction he spoke of. They hovered above the tranquil forest. The only sounds to be heard were the shush of the animals and their few rustling movements. He watched the composed land sleeping beneath him. To his surprise, her wings made such little sound. Then it came into range. His home stood within his sight. Within minutes they were there. What normally took him half a day; they traveled in mere minutes, seconds.
 
Home
 
Her wings slowed their movement and her feet came to the ground. “There?” She asked looking at the small hut. He nodded. Her wings folded behind her back and seemed to disappear. She walked up to the tiny, aged hut and stepped inside. There was not much inside. It didn't surprise her. There was a mat lying on the ground towards the back. A pillow made of straw and a white blanket. There were rows of small boxes that held medical supplies, food, and other things of that sort. But besides the half gone candle lying by the mat, that was it.
 
Not much
 
She put him down on the mat then backed away. The two just stared at each other. Neither had anything to say.
 
Silence
 
“Thank you for helping me. I'm in your dept.” he said finally breaking the awkward silence. “I'll do anything you say, my dark angel.” He bowed slightly. “Be thankful I didn't take your life. You were spared by Death herself.” She said turning away. `Death is… woman?' he thought. “You mean to say you are the angel of death?” She didn't move. She just stopped and turned to him. “I am.”
 
Silence
 
A deadly silence filled with fear. Neither said a word for multiple minutes. Then, “What is your name?” He wasn't expecting Death to ask him such a question. But he answered, though hesitation was clear in his voice. “Y-Yasha.” She said nothing. She wasn't as horrible as he had always pictured Death to be. She seemed kind. And he never expected the almighty Death to appear human, nor would that Death appear human.
 
Surprised
 
“Yasha, Demon.” She whispered. “You can call me; Kikyou, Bellflower.” Yasha stared at her. `Kikyou, the name belonging to Death.' “Thank you, Kikyou. Is there anything I can do to repay you?” he asked. He felt less tense now that he knew she wasn't going to kill him. At first she didn't say anything which didn't surprise him. She didn't speak much. Nor did she speak up. It took her a moment before she answered him. “Stay alive.” She said walking out the door. “Kikyou!” he called after her. She didn't go back inside. But she told him she was listening. “Return sometime. I'll keep my promise to you that I'll stay alive.”
 
Promise
 
“Fine. I'll return here tomorrow. Just to check up.” She promised. A faint smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. He watched through the worn window as she spread her wings and took off. An angel in the sky, flying over his home. But no, she wasn't an angel. She was an imp. `An irresistible imp though. She's right. I should be grateful. More than any other man. For Death just saved my life… and told me her name.'