InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Every Soul ❯ Enter Nanoransu ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4
 
 
Enter Nanoransu
 
 
 
Inuyasha had crept cautiously down the tunnel for about five or ten minutes after leaving Sango and Kirara behind when he heard a glass-shattering shriek followed by utter silence and then a heart-wrenching yell of “SHIPPO!” He froze, his mouth open wide in shock and an intense wave of relief sweeping over him. That was Kagome's voice! Kagome was alive!
It took every bit of restraint in him not to bellow her name and run to her full tilt with his sword waving recklessly. But he had to remind himself that the situation was still very dangerous. That had obviously been Shippo's scream. If the demon of the depths had found them then Inuyasha knew he could not just go running in there, flailing around like an idiot, “Like I usually do.” He said to himself ruefully. He knew this situation would be different. This demon was unlike most others he had encountered; it was extremely powerful and insidiously intelligent. He had to move quietly, no matter how much that scream had inflamed his anger and worry for Kagome and Shippo. A sneak attack would be his best and perhaps, only chance.
He had heard the legend of the demon of the depths called Nanoransu from Kikyo several years ago. The knowledge of the beast was passed down through her priestess line in case the demon should ever awaken. As Inuyasha moved slowly down the corridor, he found himself wishing that Kikyo were there. The Kikyo he knew, despite their last confrontation and her hatred towards him and Kagome would help if she were here. He knew she would never tolerate this horrible monster loose on the world. With her spiritual powers, she would be able to seal the demon once again.
He was so firm in this belief that he turned around, half expecting that Kikyo was there, having gotten wind (as she seemed to of most things nowadays) of the demon's resurrection and intending to stop it. When he did look behind him, his breath stopped in his chest. There was a barely discernable figure of a woman walking slowly towards him!
“Kikyo?” He said faintly, squinting his eyes to see more clearly.
“Inuyasha?” A familiar, muffled voice came from the figure. “Are you alright?”
Inuyasha almost dropped his sword as it hit him who it was. The feeling of surreal destiny was swept away and replaced by disappointment and, not to mention, a feeling of total stupidity.
“Inuyasha?” Sango, still wearing her poison mask, said again as she slowly walked towards Inuyasha. She had heard Shippo's scream and Kagome and had decided that no matter what Inuyasha said, she was not going to leave her friends to fight alone.
“Oh it's you.” Inuyasha said before he could stop himself.
“Of course it's me. Who else would it be?” Sango asked, her eyebrows raised, looking puzzled.
“No one. I thought I told you to stay with Kirara?”
“Well for one, I am with Kirara.” With that, Inuyasha could hear a low growl and the dim outline of Kirara came into view. “Two, I heard that scream too and there's no way I'm letting you cope with this alone.” She saw Inuyasha start to protest but she cut him off. “Are you going to stand here and argue with me or are we going to help Kagome and Shippo. Time is running out!”
Inuyasha didn't look impressed but he relented. Sango was right after all. The most important thing was saving Kagome and Shippo. So why had he been wasting time thinking about Kikyo? He pushed the thought aside and whispered to Sango. “Alright Sango you win. But I know this demon better than you so stay behind me or stick to Kirara when you get the chance and for God's sake be quiet!”
The three friends continued quietly down the corridor, listening for any sound from Kagome or Shippo. Since Kagome's last yell however they had heard nothing, despite travelling for several more minutes. Sango was starting to feel panic licking at her insides. Had the yell they had heard from Kagome been her last? She was just about to risk asking Inuyasha if he was able to discern Kagome's scent from the demon's poison vapours when Inuyasha stopped and turned back to her.
“Sango, quickly, can you see anything?”
“Inuyasha I don't understand….” But all of a sudden she did. It had happened so gradually that she hadn't noticed but she realized, taking a moment to look around, that she could indeed see. The smooth walls of the tunnel they were in came into blurry focus; the light reflecting off them was white, misty and dim. More a glow than anything. She could see the outline of Inuyasha in front of her although his features were still distorted and dark.
“Yes I can see. Not very well, it's like the light source is being filtered through the tunnel.”
“I know. I think I know where or what it's coming from too.” Inuyasha replied in a flat voice. Sango shivered. She had travelled with Inuyasha long enough to know what that tone meant. His voice took on that emotionless quality whenever he knew he was walking into a trap.
“Inuyasha…”
“Use that slayer training and intuition you pride yourself on Sango. There's only one being we know who can shed that kind of light. You know it too.”
She did.
Inuyasha turned away from her and started down the tunnel once again. Sango went after, followed by Kirara who was now faintly growling. She knew it as well. They were walking into a trap and the best thing was, there was absolutely nothing they could do about it.
 
 
Kagome remained on her knees, several minutes after hearing Shippo scream. She wanted to move, she wanted to run to him and save him from the demon she knew was there, but her body felt glued to the ground. The only mercy was that the shock of what had just happened had driven the pain of her battered body away. She felt nothing but numb horror. She no longer noticed the gut wrenching fumes that were slowly poisoning her either. The shock had caused her breathing to all but cease. It probably saved her life.
“Shippo no.” Kagome could feel tears running down her face. She knew the demon was going to come for her next; she knew she had to get herself together and get out but the hot, boiling grief held her captive. She didn't even hear the soft footsteps coming up behind her. It wasn't until Kanna moved her soul-stealing mirror into position and started chanting that Kagome noticed that anyone else was there, and had it not been for the intuition she had thanks to her spiritual powers, it would have been too late.
Kagome felt the huge surge of energy building up behind her and instinctively threw herself to the right. She felt the barrage of energy graze her leg as she rolled across the uneven terrain and came to a stop on her back, the pain from her injuries returning; fresh and biting, blinding her again.
She lay still for a few seconds, her eyes slowly clearing, her neck craned, trying to see what had attacked her. It couldn't have been the demon, it was still down the tunnel somewhere and this aura she sensed now was nowhere near as large. It did not feel entirely evil either. She could sense its malicious intent, but it did not seem to be an evil entity unto itself. More like…a shell.
“Kanna.” Kagome said slowly as the small, childlike figure came into focus.
Kanna stood not five feet away from where Kagome lay. Dressed in a white gown, with a single white flower in her equally white hair, she gave off her own ghostly light.
“So that's why I can see in here.” Kagome thought to herself as she struggled to move. “Kanna has been here the whole time. I should have known. She's the only being we've encountered who gives off her own glow. But why…” Kagome managed to sit upright and she looked at Kanna who had not moved from her original position.
“Kanna. Why? What are you doing here?”
Kanna did not answer; instead she raised her mirror again towards Kagome and began chanting. Kagome had barely enough time to throw herself out of the way before the mirror's energy reached its peak. She rolled several times and came to a stop, now panting heavily. Her body wouldn't be able to take much more of this. And that foul stench was making it hard to breathe again.
“Inuyasha where are you?”
 
 
Inuyasha and Sango walked ever downwards in the tunnel. Inuyasha was starting to have a hard time breathing; the poisonous reek was getting worse the farther down they went. His sensitive dog nose was having a hard time but he kept his thoughts trained on Kagome. She was the most important thing. He had to save her. “I didn't do all that soul searching for nothing.” He thought to himself grimly. “I will not lose her now that we have a chance to be together. I will NOT!”
He was so absorbed in his thoughts that he almost missed it. Luckily, his super-sensitive hearing didn't let him down. He stopped, almost willing to believe he was hearing things. But then the sound came again.
“Sango do you hear that?”
“Hear what?”
“That sound…almost a whimpering.” His guard raised, Inuyasha crept slowly towards the source of the almost indistinguishable sound. He noticed that the closer he got to it, the more light there was. “We're almost there.” He thought to himself. He and Sango moved closer and closer to the fearful whimpering sound.
Inuyasha turned left into a much larger tunnel and almost blew his sneak attack when he tripped and let out a large “Oomph!”
Irritated, Inuyasha sat up and tried to find what he had tripped over. There in the middle of the tunnel, was what looked like a small stone statue. What's more, the whimpering sound was coming from the statue!
“Shippo?” Inuyasha heard Sango say tentatively as she walked over and knelt down beside the statue.
There was a pause, then a very audible POP! and Shippo appeared where the statue had been.
“Shippo!” Inuyasha exclaimed. He couldn't help himself. Even he was surprised at how happy he was to see the little brat.
Shippo straightened himself up and looked at Inuyasha, Sango and Kirara for a few moments as though he didn't really believe they were there. Then all at once, he flung himself into Sango's arms.
“Sango! Inuyasha! Kirara! Oh I'm so happy to see you! I was so scared! I wanted to come for help but then a big monster showed up and I freaked and turned into the statue and it didn't see me and I wanted to help Kagome but I was too scared to move and I'm sorry…” Shippo burst into tears and hid his face in Sango's chest.
“Shippo!” Inuyasha grabbed Shippo's arm a little more forcibly than he had intended. “Where's Kagome?”
“Back that way a little bit. She's been hurt and can't move so that's why I was going to find my way back to get you.”
“She's hurt?” Inuyasha's stomach plummeted. He gripped the Tetsusaiga tightly and without another word, hurried off down the tunnel.
“Shippo, what was the demon you saw?” Sango gently pried Shippo away.
“I don't know. I've never seen anything like it.” He sniffed. “It was huge, like a big snake. I don't know why it didn't eat me. I saw it coming and screamed; when I stopped screaming and used my kitsune trick to disguise myself, it was gone.”
“Strange.” Sango looked like she was thinking hard. “Come on Shippo.” She stood up with Shippo still in her arms. “Let's go help Inuyasha get Kagome out of here before it comes back.”
 
 
Kagome tried to sit up but this time her body would not co-operate. She just didn't have any strength left. She could see Kanna following her, coming closer for what she knew must be the last time and Kagome looked around frantically, but seeing no help anywhere. Shippo was dead, and Inuyasha wasn't coming. He must not have been able to find her. Kanna was coming and there was nothing Kagome could do to stop her. Whatever it was that Kanna was after, it looked like she was going to get it. Kagome closed her eyes in defeat and prepared herself for the blast she knew was coming. She sensed the energy build up in the mirror and let out a yell as the beam of energy impacted her.
 
 
Inuyasha came round the final bend in the tunnel, a small part of him surprised he hadn't run into Nanoransu yet but ignoring that and hell bent on finding and saving Kagome. He finally exited the tunnel into a humungous grotto. The ceiling was several feet high and the walls seemed to pulse with their own light.
“No.” Inuyasha thought. “Not their own light. They're reflecting the light from something else.” He looked around the grotto frantically and saw them. He saw Kagome lying on the floor of the cavern; bloody, bruised and frantically trying to move out of the way of Kanna who was slowly moving towards her with her magic mirror raised. Even from the distance Inuyasha was at, he could feel the energy that thing was putting out. Then he saw something that shattered all sense of restraint in him. Kanna raised the mirror and a beam of energy shot out of it and went right through Kagome's chest. Kagome let out a yell that just fizzled out as her body went limp on the floor. From her body arose a misty ball of light that hovered above her for a moment and then shot straight into Kanna's mirror.
Inuyasha was frozen for a split second as his mind told him what he did not want to hear. “That light. Kagome's soul? Is that what this was all about?”
“KAGOME!!!” He yelled his fury, no longer caring about sneak attacks or if Nanoransu would hear him. That light had been Kagome's soul and without it she was…. “Arrrggghhh!” He whipped the Tetsusaiga over his head and leapt towards Kanna. Instead of moving, Kanna just looked at Inuyasha with her disturbingly cold eyes and with an expression on her face of one who has just noticed an annoying fly but really doesn't care.
Inuyasha raised the Tetsusaiga and prepared to slice Kanna and her damn mirror in half. He swung down and was immediately repelled backwards to land on his butt. A barrier had appeared out of nowhere and it surrounded Kanna, making her impervious to attacks.
Inuyasha picked himself up quickly and snarled at Kanna. “A barrier? Where did that come from? I didn't think Kanna had the ability to create a barrier herself.”
“She doesn't.” A deep voice came from above and Inuyasha looked up, a look of total unsurprise and revulsion on his face as he spotted Naraku. As he watched, Naraku floated down through the barrier he had created and landed softly beside Kanna. He looked down at Kagome's lifeless body and chuckled. “Good work Kanna. I see you have collected the girl's soul most efficiently.”
“Grrrrrrr Naraku!” Inuyasha yelled and ran towards the barrier. “You bastard! What the hell do you want with Kagome's soul? Give it back to her right now!”
“Hmmm no I don't think so. You see. Kagome's soul has a date that it can't be late for. But don't worry Inuyasha. Even though your human is dead, you won't be alone. I have just the playmate for you.” Naraku closed his eyes and seemed to concentrate for a moment, then opened them and smiled. All at once, the rancid smell tripled and Inuyasha had to take a step backward and cover his mouth and nose.
A deep rumbling issued from the large tunnel he had just come out of followed by a scream. Inuyasha turned in time to see Sango, Kirara and Shippo come flying out of the tunnel, running frantically towards him.
“Inuyasha!” Sango roared. “The demon, it's here!” She stopped dead at the sight of Naraku, Kanna and of the motionless Kagome. “What the…” She was cut off by a sudden and loud rumbling laugh that came from the tunnel they had just exited. It was a cruel, malicious laugh and it shook the walls of the grotto as it came nearer.
Inuyasha looked back at Naraku, full of fury and despair. He had no choice. He would have to face Nanoransu. Naraku chuckled his pleasure at seeing the indecision on Inuyasha's face. Inuyasha faced Naraku and growled, “This is far from over Naraku. Once I've beaten the shit out of your pet monster I'll be coming for you.”
“Big words Inuyasha.” Naraku replied. “But I don't think even your over confidence will be able to help you now. Nanoransu will destroy you slowly and I will be rid of you forever. Hmmm…I shall definitely have to remember to thank Kikyo for her hard work.”
“Huh?” Inuyasha froze, shocked. “Kikyo? What the hell does she have to do with all this?”
“Farewell Inuyasha.” Naraku said and he grabbed hold of Kanna and the disappeared, plunging the cave into complete darkness once more.
“NARAKU!” Inuyasha roared his rage.
“Inuyasha!” Sango, somewhere behind him. With Kanna's exit, everything was reduced to pitch-black darkness again. Inuyasha squinted, trying to make out where his friends were.
“Sango! Get on Kirara and find Kagome. Keep her out of the way and safe while I deal with this demon.”
“Right!”
Inuyasha heard Sango and Kirara fly off behind him as another low; menacing laugh came from the tunnel. Any second now, Nanoransu, the most powerful and feared demon in a thousand years would appear. And as he stood ready, his sword raised and every muscle in his body tensed, Inuyasha thought that perhaps Naraku was right. He would not be alone. He had the distinct idea that he would be joining Kagome soon enough.