InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Facile Comme la Vie ❯ U N E X P E C T E D F I N D ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Title: An Unexpected Find
Part of: Facile Comme la Vie
Theme: Shikon no Tama
Word Count: 499
Standard Disclaimer: I don't own any of the Inu-tachi; that honor belongs to Rumiko Takahashi. I can pretend, though, right? Facile Comme la Vie is a collective of one-shots and drabbles - they will feature a variety of characters, themes, genres and ratings.
 
 
A N U N E X P E C T E D F I N D
 
 
 
“Hmm, what is this?” asked the young girl as she reached into the grass and pulled out a small piece of pink glass. “Lord Sesshoumaru? Master Jaken? I found something over here,” she called, running to the side of the tai-youkai and his toad-like imp before offering her find to him.

Sesshoumaru took the shard from Rin, holding it delicately in his claw. The strong demonic pull of the object took him by surprise. He raised it to his eye and peered intently inside and nearly lost his stoic expression. Swirling in the depths of the fragment the tai-youkai viewed the intermingling souls of a great miko and her formidable opponents, engaged in a never-ending battle.

He closed his eyes for a moment as he felt the hint of power emanating from the shard as it radiated against his claws. He recognized the steady rhythm and hums of the object - a piece of the famed Shikon no Tama.

Despite the single shard that Naraku had lent him early on in this second phase of deceptions, this was the only fragment that Sesshoumaru and his companions had chanced upon during their travels. But, no bother -- he had no need for such an object.

Especially an object that was, even now, calling out for power: either corruptible or with a hint of purification intent.

He was not quite sure that he found it all that pleasant. But, if not pleasant, what other reason should the half-breeds have for desiring such an object? Surely neither Inuyasha nor Naraku sought to use such a trinket in order to garner the power disallowed to their kind?

Rin hopped from one foot to the next, waiting for the Lord's assessment. The imp stuck his Staff of Two Heads into the dirt before reprimanding the young girl. “Hush, Rin. Lord Sesshoumaru is obviously discovering the secrets behind that thing you found.”

Sesshoumaru ignored his two vassals as he rubbed the jewel shard between two of his claws. It seemed fragile enough - surely a squeeze between his fist would be enough to grind the fragment into mere dust.

Yet, whether for amusement at the piteous plight of the ancient miko and such pathetic demons, or for utter indifference to the petty desires of dirty half-breeds, Sesshoumaru cast no further thought toward the object. After all, he had no need nor want for it himself; as it was, the object of a hanyou's obsession was far too tainted for the great tai-youkai.

“Rin, it is nothing,” Sesshoumaru announced finally, tossing the shard to the ground. With his pronouncement, he began to walk away, leaving the child to watch his retreating figure.

Jaken nodded urgently before following at Sesshoumaru's heels. “Yes, child, it is nothing,” he squeaked, waving his staff around as he ran. “Now come along before you are left behind.”

Rin allowed a bit of distance between herself and the pair of youkai before bending down and retrieving the bit of nothing. At least it was pretty…