InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fall From Grace ❯ Chapter 3

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Ch. 3

For what seemed like the hundredth time, Sesshomaru pressed the intercom button, trying to maintain what little patience he had left. The intercom beeped and a cheerful voice on the other end piped, "Yes, Mr. Haturo?"

Sesshomaru grit his teeth. "Rin," He ground out. "Where is the Kerrington file?" There was a moment of silence before her bright voice replied, "The Kerrington file?"

Sesshomaru sighed in exasperation. If there was one thing he hated most, it was incompetence. His secretary was the exact definition of the word.

"If I wanted a parrot, I'd buy one," He snapped at the intercom. "What I want right now, at this very moment, is the Kerrington file." There was another beat of silence before she responded. "Sir, I'm sorry, but I don't know what you're talking about."

He released the intercom button and proceeded to let loose a string of cuss words. He rarely displayed such crass behavior, but he was beyond caring at this point. His entire day had consisted of him asking Rin for files she had no recollection of filing. He could imagine a file cabinet elsewhere in the building filled with his misplaced files.

Taking a deep breath, he once again pressed the intercom button. "Please come in here, Rin." He said shortly. He closed his eyes, asking God to give him the strength to not strangle her when she walked in. He opened his eyes when he heard the door to his office swing open. A petite young woman with short black hair and wide brown eyes walked in, a cheerful smile on her pretty face. She closed the door behind her and stood in front of his desk, looking at him expectantly.

Sesshomaru placed his hands together, palms apart, and rested his chin on top of his fingertips. He eyed the woman standing before him, trying not to let his annoyance show.

"Why is it that 99.9% of the files I've asked you for today are not on my desk?" He asked slowly, his face blank. Rin fidgeted nervously. She hated being confronted by Mr. Haturo. It was like displeasing God or something.

"I'm really sorry, Mr. Haturo, but I honestly can't remember filing them," She explained, gesturing helplessly. Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow. "So you mean to tell me that you've managed to lose all my files? Are you really that idiotic?"

Rin looked down at the floor, hurt by his words. She knew he wasn't the friendliest person in the world, but she happened to like him and thought very highly of him. Obviously, he didn't feel the same of her.

"I've been really scatterbrained lately, having all these different things going on in my life…" She said, not knowing what else to say. Sesshomaru sighed. "I don't care about your personal life, Rin. I care about my life and my job, which you are putting in jeopardy." He waved a hand, dismissing her.

"I want every single file I've asked you for on my desk first thing in the morning." He said, turning his gaze to flat screen computer before him. Rin's face fell. "But, Mr. Haturo, I can't stay late to--"

Sesshomaru glared at her, his eyes narrowed to two golden slits. "Can't?" He repeated. "You will or you can consider yourself an ex-employee of Boyd & Cullen Law Offices." He said coldly. Rin quickly shut her mouth and nodded her head, happy to flee Sesshomaru's office. Once he was alone, Sesshomaru leaned back in his chair and rubbed the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger.

He really hadn't meant to be so harsh with Rin, but his nerves were wearing thin where she was concerned. The only reason he kept her on as his secretary was as a personal favor to her deceased father, who had been a special client of Sesshomaru's. Despite his words, Sesshomaru had no intention of firing Rin. He was a man of his word.

He was about to return his work when the beep of the intercom interrupted him.

"Mr. Haturo?" Rin said, her voice a little shaky. Sesshomaru pressed the intercom button. "Yes?" He responded wearily. "There's a call for you on line one," She said. Sesshomaru looked from the computer screen to the phone, knowing he had to get this document done before he left for the night.

"Take a message." He told her. He turned to the computer screen, his fingers poised to type, when he was interrupted a second time.

"She says it's important." Rin said hesitantly, afraid of his reaction. Sesshomaru frowned. "Who?" He asked. She was gone for a moment before her voice filtered through the intercom again. "A Ms. Higurashi." She answered. Sesshomaru picked up the receiver and pressed the button marked Line 1.

"Kagome?" He said into the phone. He heard a crackle of static before she answered.

"Hi, Sesshomaru. I'm sorry to bother you but I just wanted to let you know that I accept your offer." Her voice sounded funny, like something was wrong. Sesshomaru wondered if maybe she'd had a run in with her mother.

"Are you ok?" He asked. There was silence and another crackle of static. "I'm…fine." She said. "Right now I'm in my car heading to your house so I'll see when you get there." She said and then the line went dead. Sesshomaru hung up the phone, confused.

He wondered what happened to have caused her to act so strangely.

~~~~~~

Kagome plopped down on the couch, mentally exhausted. Once she'd left the park, she'd stopped by the house to pack some clothes and personal belongings. Thankfully, her mother hadn't been there and of course her father was at work so she'd left a message with Anna, the maid.

She took off her jacket and laid it on the arm of the sofa, stretching herself out comfortably. All she wanted to do now was sleep. She let her eyes drift close, shutting out everything distracting from the outside world.

~^~

Sesshomaru unlocked the door and walked into the foyer, setting down his briefcase and hanging his coat on the coat rack. He saw light illuminating from the living room and headed in that direction.

He was surprised to see Kagome asleep on the couch, one arm draped over her face. He folded his arms and leaned against the doorjamb, studying her. Even as tired as she obviously looked, Kagome was still undeniably beautiful. He'd always thought so, even though he'd never admitted to it. He'd always seen her as his brothers little friend, that is until she blossomed into the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen.

He shifted his weight, troubled by his thoughts. What was he doing? She was his brother's-

Sesshomaru realized that she was no longer Inuyasha's anything. Inuyasha was dead and Kagome was…here. He frowned. So what did that mean?

He was stirred from his deep thoughts by the sound of Kagome moaning softly, her expression pained. Her head thrashed from side to side as her hands reached out for something that wasn't there.

Sesshomaru went to her side, sitting on the edge of the couch. He placed a hand on her cheek, her flesh feeling warm to the touch.

"Kagome," He murmured, coaxing her awake. Her eyelids flickered before fluttering open, surprised.

"Sesshomaru?" She asked in confusion, looking around. She sat up, putting a hand to her forehead.

"You were having a bad dream." He told her, dropping his hand from her cheek. She sighed and looked away. "Nothing new." She muttered. Sesshomaru rose and held a hand out to her. "Have you eaten yet?" He asked. Kagome shook her head, placing her hand in his. He helped her up. "Didn't think so. Grab your coat." He told her, leading her out into the foyer. Kagome couldn't help smiling. She'd never seen this side of Sesshomaru, so human.

"Where are we going?" She questioned, slipping into her jacket. Sesshomaru glanced at her, his expression giving nothing away. "You'll see."

~~~~~~

"So he was following her again?"

The dark haired woman nodded, her expression annoyed. She flicked a hand through her hair, her cinnamon eyes glinting. "He knows it's against the rules but he insists on doing it." She glanced at him. "Can I kill her, Naraku?"

Naraku shook his head, laughing. That was one thing he loved about Kikyo. Her bloodlust. She seemed to think everything could be solved through killing.

"The Coven frowns upon senseless killings," He told her. "You know human killing is only allowed for the purpose of feeding." Kikyo frowned, her bright red lips forming a pout. She sauntered over to where Naraku stood.

"But I want to," She whispered next to his ear, sliding a hand up his arm. She pressed close to him, her tongue darting out to lick a trail from his ear to the corner of his mouth. "Pleeeease."

Naraku shivered, his hands wrapping around her waist until she was pressed flush up against him. He caught her lips in a rough kiss, his tongue ravaging her mouth. Kikyo let out a low moan, her own hands snaking down to cup his obvious arousal.

He thrust into her hand and was about to yank her skirt up over her hips, but a movement by the door caught his eye. He smirked and pushed Kikyo away, ignoring her look of confusion and annoyance at having been stopped.

"We have company," He drawled slowly. Kikyo turned and wiped a hand across her mouth. She slinked over to the figure standing in the doorway and reached out for him, but he pushed her hands away.

"Save it, bitch." He growled. Kikyo looked hurt, her lips pouting. "But Yash, I was

just--"

"What? Going to fuck him?" He accused. She grinned at him. "Jealous?" Inuyasha's golden eyes flashed, his lips slashed in a cold smile. "Why would I be jealous? You're just doing what a whore's supposed to do." He ignored her indignant huff and turned his attention to Naraku.

"Kagura said you wanted to see me." He stated. Naraku nodded. "Please leave us, Kikyo." He said. Kikyo looked from Naraku to Inuyasha before leaving, muttering angrily on her way out.

Inuyasha went to the plush black velvet armchair facing a black lacquer desk and threw one leg over the arm, a bored expression in his chiseled features. Naraku frowned, taking a seat behind the desk. "Have some respect for my office," He said with a hint of disgust. Inuyasha glanced at him, his leg remaining where it was.

"What do you want?" He asked. Naraku sighed, knowing it was impossible to give Inuyasha an order. He was such a wildcard that no one felt comfortable with him being a member of the Coven. That was the reason he was here in Naraku's office.

"Well, Inuyasha, some of the Elders feel you're not exactly…adhering to the Coven's traditions." He watched as Inuyasha's eyes narrowed with each word he said. "For centuries, the Coven has managed to coexist with humans without incident and lately your little…stunts have put the Coven's safety in danger."

Inuyasha let out a short bark of laughter. "Are you serious?" He asked in disbelief. Naraku frowned, not finding the humor in the situation. He nodded his head. "Very."

"Un-fucking-believable," Inuyasha muttered. He ran a hand through his long white hair. "You mean to tell me that the Coven, the same Coven that ripped me from a life I was perfectly happy with, has a problem with the way I'm acting?" He rose so swiftly that Naraku jumped in his seat. He pounded a fist on the desk, his eyes flaring.

"I didn't ask for this shit!" He hissed. "I didn't ask to be turned into some fucking freak that lives off human blood! So you go and tell the rest of the Coven Elders to kiss my ass and to hell with tradition!" Naraku was speechless as Inuyasha spun on his heel and stalked from the room, slamming the door behind him.

Naraku closed his eyes. Inuyasha was a threat to the Coven. He opened his eyes, their red tint glittering dangerously. A threat to the Coven could not be tolerated.

~~~~~~

"So did you enjoy the meal?"

Kagome smiled, her mood considerably lighter. She was still in awe that Sesshomaru Haturo had actually taken her out to eat. She nodded her head, gesturing her empty plate.

"The food was delicious," She gushed. "This place is incredible." Sesshomaru allowed her the barest hint of a smile and Kagome was taken back by how handsome he looked when he smiled. Of course, he was one of the most gorgeous men she'd ever laid eyes on, but when he smiled…he was something else.

"It's my favorite place to dine," He told her, glancing around. "The atmosphere isn't too busy and the food is excellent." Kagome nodded in agreement. She felt immensely relaxed after the wonderful meal and leaned back in her chair, peering over at the man sitting across from her.

"What?" He asked, frowning. Kagome smiled and shook her head. "Nothing. I was just thinking how I don't really know you at all. I mean, I thought I did, but obviously I was wrong." He took a sip of his wine. "Is that a good or bad thing?" He asked. Kagome laughed. "Definitely a good thing."

He raised an eyebrow at her. "And why were you wrong?" He asked. Kagome looked down at the pristine white tablecloth, suddenly shy. "Well," She began slowly, "You always acted like a bit of an…" She trailed off, not knowing a delicate way to put it.

"Asshole?" He supplied, not batting an eye. Kagome gaped at him. "I-I wasn't going to say--"

Sesshomaru waved a hand at her. "You don't have to be so polite. Besides, it's not anything I haven't heard before." He shrugged. Kagome looked at him. "Doesn't that bother you?" She asked. Sesshomaru glanced at her. "Why should it?"

Kagome shrugged, not really knowing. He obviously wasn't bothered with caring about what other people thought of him, which was something she had to admit she admired about him.

"I guess it shouldn't," She said with a slight smile. Sesshomaru studied her. "That's your problem," He told her. "You care about what everyone else thinks, but you don't pay enough attention to yourself." Kagome looked up at him, surprised by the comment. She opened her mouth, but closed it just as quickly. Instead, she again looked down at the tablecloth, as if finding it fascinating.

"Do you want to know what I know about you?" Sesshomaru asked her, his voice soft. Kagome slowly raised her gaze until she was looking into his golden depths.

"Yes."

"I know that you're a lot stronger than people give you credit for. You had such a light about you, as if the whole world was shining through your eyes." He looked away from her as if he'd said too much. He cleared his throat. "You should work hard to get that light back."

Kagome ducked her head. She felt as if she might cry again. Hearing him say that…it made her sad to know how much she'd changed.

"Are you ready to go?" Sesshomaru asked after giving her a few moments. Kagome nodded. As they gathered their things and walked toward the exit, Kagome gave him a sideways glance.

"I'll try." She said. He nodded, continuing to stare straight ahead.

~~~~~~

"Hey, baby. You awake?"

Inuyasha kept his eyes closed, giving no indication that he was. Kikyo crawled up his body until her face was above his. She leaned down and pressed her lips against his, trying to coax a response out of him.

"I know you are," She whispered. She ground her hips against his. "Or at least part of you is." Inuyasha cursed and shoved her aside, rolling over on his side. Kikyo sighed and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Why are you in such a pissy mood?" She asked. Inuyasha grimaced, not in the mood to deal with her right now. "Fuck off, Kikyo."

Not to be ignored, she reached over to him, turning him towards her. She gave him her most seductive look, a look that had gotten her what she wanted many a time. "Come on, Yash. Tell me what's bothering you." She ran her nails down his bare arms, watching as tiny goose bumps prickled on his skin.

Inuyasha fought the lust that welled up inside him. It was no secret that Kikyo and Inuyasha slept together. He was just one of the many men Kikyo fucked whenever she had an itch that needed to scratched. However, every time Inuyasha gave into his desires, he felt as if he was losing a piece of who he used to be. And with each piece he lost, he felt himself becoming more and more like Kikyo and Naraku and every other person in the Coven…an Immortal…a vampire.

"Don't you want to tell me, Inuyasha?" Kikyo whispered, sliding closer to him, her body slithering over his. Inuyasha closed his eyes, seeing a flash of dark hair and misty gray eyes.

`Kagome.'

He pulled Kikyo over him, crushing his mouth against hers. As his hands traveled over her body, sliding over her smooth curves, he tried to forget. Tried to forget her smile, her scent, her aura. As much as he tried, he couldn't. Her very image was permanently imprinted in his memory.

Although he was kissing Kikyo passionately, his hands playing over her body, it wasn't her he was seeing. It was another woman, a woman from his past with raven hair and misty gray eyes.

a/n: wow, i must be on a roll…didn't think i'd get two chaps out in one day. well, hope people are liking the story…not really sure. anyways, please leave reviews and i'll see ya next chap!