InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fall From Grace ❯ Chapter 2

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Ch. 2

Sesshomaru stood in the bedroom doorway, looking at the young woman lying on his dead brother's bed. She was clutching a picture frame to her, her legs pulled up to her chest. He couldn't help thinking how lost she looked, like a child. He ached to go to her, comfort her, but he held back.

Closing the door softly, Sesshomaru made his way downstairs and headed to the kitchen. The sun was just beginning to peek over the horizon, announcing a new day. Sesshomaru poured himself a cup of coffee and sat at the small kitchen table.

His thoughts turned to Kagome and her situation. He knew how close she and his brother had been, practically being joined at the hip since childhood. Naturally, she took Inuyasha's death hard, but Sesshomaru was worried about her. Her natural joy for life seemed to have died along with his brother.

Sesshomaru frowned. `Just one more thing that idiot brother of mine managed to ruin.' He thought to himself. It was no secret that Inuyasha and Sesshomaru had never gotten along. Sesshomaru accepted partial blame for the bad blood. He was still sore about his father leaving his mother while she was on her deathbed to be with his whore and illegitimate son. Whether it was right or not, Sesshomaru had directed much of his anger at Inuyasha. Their relationship only got worse after their father and Inuyasha's mother were killed in a car accident a few years ago, leaving Sesshomaru as Inuyasha's caretaker. Because of the circumstances, Sesshomaru, who wasn't much older than Inuyasha, was forced to grow up a lot quicker than most.

He remembered feeling nothing when he'd gotten the call from the cops telling him that Inuyasha was missing. He just figured it was Inuyasha messing up again. A year later, Inuyasha was assumed dead and a short funeral had been held in his memory. That was the last time Sesshomaru had seen Kagome.

Sesshomaru took a sip of his coffee. She seemed to be getting worse. When he'd seen her last night, he'd noticed the bags under her eyes, contrasting starkly with her naturally pale skin. Her smoky gray eyes had lost their sparkle, appearing dull and lifeless. She looked like a shell of her formal self.

"Good morning,"

Sesshomaru glanced up, startled by Kagome's sudden appearance. Her long raven hair was tousled from sleep and her eyes held a bleary expression. "You didn't sleep well." He stated, leaving no room for contradiction. Kagome sat across from him and covered her mouth as she let out a loud yawn. She shrugged her shoulders.

"Not much different from any other night," She said matter-of-factly. Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow. "So this is nothing new?" Kagome shook her head. "I always have…nightmares." Her gaze slid away from his. Sesshomaru nodded, taking another sip from his mug.

"It probably didn't help that you spent the night in his room," He said quietly. Kagome looked at him sharply but remained silent. She knew he was right. She'd more or less invited the nightmares by deciding to sleep in Inuyasha's room. They sat in silence, Sesshomaru sipping his coffee and Kagome staring out the window.

"How are things at home?" Sesshomaru asked, breaking the silence. Kagome's gaze slid slowly to his, her eyes taking on a hard edge. "What do you think?" She responded a little too forcefully. She sighed, running a hand through her hair.

"I'm sorry," She said. "It's just that things at home haven't been going so well. I don't see my dad that often because he's always working and when I do see him, he treats me with kid gloves as if at any moment I'm going to have a mental breakdown." She smirked. "Which probably isn't so farfetched, considering."

Sesshomaru set down his coffee cup and folded his hands on the table. "And your mother?" He asked, already having an idea where Michiko Higurashi was concerned. He'd only met her a handful of times, but those few times had been enough to let Sesshomaru know she was not a kind person.

Kagome rolled her eyes, crossing her arms. "She's insufferable! She refuses to face the fact that anything is wrong with me, just walking around as if nothing's changed." She looked down at the cherry wood tabletop. "I hate being around her. I hate being in that house."

Sesshomaru shrugged his shoulders. "So why not leave? Don't you have any relatives nearby who would be willing to take you in?" Kagome shook her head. "All of my mother's relatives live out of state and my dad doesn't have any family." Sesshomaru considered her words before coming to a decision.

"Then stay here." He said as if that was the most logical suggestion. Kagome stared at him as if he'd just asked her to run outside completely naked. "What?"

He stood and placed his empty mug in the sink. Turning to look at her, he repeated his suggestion. "Why not stay here? You're obviously comfortable here, it's close to the college and you'd have your own space since I'm hardly ever here." Kagome peered up at him, surprised by his uncharacteristic kindness. Sesshomaru was many things, but generous was definitely not one of them.

"Why would you let me stay here? I mean, to tell you the truth, I thought you didn't like me." She admitted. Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow questioningly. "Well, whenever I was here with--" She paused, finding it difficult to say his name. "With Inuyasha, you always seemed so…unapproachable." Sesshomaru let out a short laugh. "Don't take it so personal, Kagome," He told her. "I act like that with everyone." Kagome didn't know if he was serious or merely joking. She had a strong feeling he was telling her the truth.

She chewed on her lower lip. "I don't know if it's such a good idea," She said hesitantly. Sesshomaru shrugged his shoulders and glanced down at his wristwatch. "Well, I've got to get over to the office so why don't you give it some thought and let me know your decision later." Kagome nodded in agreement. He picked up the black leather briefcase on the countertop and motioned for her to follow him. She got up and walked out to the foyer. Sesshomaru plucked his long wool jacket from the coat rack and pulled it on.

Digging in his pocket, he produced a small rectangular card. Kagome accepted the card, examining it. "You can reach me at the office with this number," He said indicating the number on the card. She saw the number beneath his name with the heading Boyd & Cullen Law Offices.

"Feel free to help yourself to anything in the kitchen," He told her, turning to leave. "Oh, and when you leave, just lock up with the spare key under the mat outside." Kagome nodded at his instructions.

"Thanks for all your help," She said softly. Sesshomaru glanced at her, his expression emotionless. "No problem." He said, opening the front door and walking briskly to the driveway where his midnight blue Cadillac Escalade was parked. Kagome closed the door and sighed. Maybe staying with Sesshomaru wouldn't be such a bad idea after all.

~^~

Kagome parked her car in the student parking lot and quickly got out of the car. She was fifteen minutes late for class and hadn't done her homework. She cringed as she made her way quickly across the courtyard toward the building marked Crichton Hall, knowing her Media History instructor despised tardiness.

As she arrived at her destination, she took a deep breath and quietly entered the lecture hall, sensing all eyes turning in her direction. She ducked her head and made her way up the steps to her designated row, her gaze finding the disappointed one of her friend, Sango. She was almost to her seat when a chilly voice stopped her.

"So nice of you to join us, Ms. Higurashi. I was beginning to think we wouldn't be able to start class without you."

Kagome flinched and turned to the front of the room, seeing the unsmiling face of her instructor, Kaede Sato. She held out her hands in a gesture of helplessness. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Sato, it's just that traffic was hell and--"

"Please don't waste any more of my time with your excuses, Ms. Higurashi. Just take a seat." She gave her one last disapproving look before returning to her lecture. Kagome blew out a pent up breath and sank gratefully into her seat. Sango elbowed her in the side.

"What gives, Kagome? You know how old Dragon lady feels about latecomers." She whispered. Kagome pulled out her notebook and pen and set them on the desk. "I know," She whispered back. "I didn't stay at home last night so I had an extra 30 minutes to make up."

Sango raised an eyebrow, her expression suspicious. "And where did you stay last night?" Kagome glared at her, her lips pressed tightly together. Sango could see that she wasn't going to give anything up so she turned to her notes.

After a few moments, she hissed, "You are going to tell me where you were last night, Higurashi!" Kagome merely smiled, continuing to jot down notes from the lecture.

"Later," She relented, knowing she could never keep anything from Sango.

~^~

"So you spent the night with Inuyasha's brother?" Sango exclaimed. Kagome rolled her eyes and took a bite of her apple.

"No," She said chewing the chunk before swallowing. "I spent the night at Inuyasha's brother's house." Sango waved a hand at her. "What's the difference? He was still there wasn't he?" Kagome sighed, giving up. "Fine. He was there, but we were not sleeping together." She said pointedly. Sango downed the rest of her coke, chewing thoughtfully on a piece of ice.

"Things not going well at home?" She asked. She knew things with Kagome and her parents hadn't been so great lately. Kagome took another bite of apple. "You know how it is with Chi Chi," She said. "Always trying to make things as perfect as she is." She glanced around the crowded food court, not wanting to let her mother dampen her mood. She was actually feeling kind of good today. She had a feeling it was because of the prospect of getting out from under her mother's oppressive thumb. Kagome had Sesshomaru to thank for that.

"Where's Miroku? He's usually here by now." She commented. It was Sango's turn to roll her eyes. "That no good boyfriend of mine is probably off somewhere flirting with some bimbo."

"Why Sango, how could you say such a thing?"

Kagome giggled as a good-looking dark haired boy walked up behind her and placed a kiss on her cheek. Sango turned to glare up at him. "Miroku, where have you been?" She asked. He sat down in the empty chair beside her and spread his hands out before him.

"My dear, I resent your accusatory tone," He stated, a slight grin on his boyish face. Sango punched him in the arm. "Jerk," She muttered under her breath. He rubbed the spot where she'd hit him.

"Love taps," He whispered to Kagome, making her giggle even harder. Kagome could always count on her friends to cheer her up whenever she was down. She'd known Sango ever since grade school and had met Miroku when he'd moved here during their sophomore year of high school. She wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. They'd always been there for her, even during the most traumatic time in her life.

"So are we studying for the midterms at your house tonight?" Sango asked, turning to Kagome. Kagome finished off the apple and threw the core in a nearby trashcan. She shook her head.

"Won't be home," She said. Sango and Miroku looked at her, surprised. "Why not?" Sango asked. Kagome hesitated, not knowing how they would react to her news.

"Well, I'm going to be staying with…Sesshomaru for a little while." She said quietly. Sango's and Miroku's jaws seemed to drop simultaneously, almost comically. Despite the loud chatter of voices in the food court, their table was strangely quiet, no one saying a word. Miroku glanced at Sango, his expression uncertain.

"You're going to be staying with Sesshomaru?" She repeated, as if she'd heard wrong. Kagome nodded slowly. Sango looked down at her half eaten pizza. "Miroku, why don't you go get me a refill of lemonade?" She suggested, thrusting her more than half full glass at him.

"But Sango, the glass isn't even empt-"

"Do it!" She ordered. Miroku rose quickly and went off in search of the drink machines. She turned her gaze to Kagome.

"What's going on, Kagome?" She asked, leaning in closer towards her. Kagome looked away from her intense gaze. "Nothing," She said, picking at imaginary lint on her shirt. Sango leaned back in her chair, giving Kagome "the look". Kagome sighed, knowing Sango meant business when she had "the look".

"I just need time to clear my head and I can't do that around my mother or my father for that matter." She tried to explain. "I need space to get back to being me again."

Sango looked away for a second before returning her gaze to Kagome. "I understand that, Kagome, but do you really think staying in the house Inuyasha used to live in is going to help you get over him?" Kagome tensed. Sango knew she'd hit a sore spot, but she overlooked it, knowing she was right.

"You're going to be surrounded by his memory, you know." She continued. "I just don't see how that is going to help you."

"Thanks for all your support," Kagome muttered. Sango sighed. "Don't give me that crap, Kagome. You know I always support you in whatever you do. I'm just trying to help."

"Then support me in this," Kagome pleaded, her eyes watery. She needed someone's support right now. "I can't stand the way I've been feeling. I don't want to keep thinking about what could've or might've been if things had gone differently that night. I just want…" Kagome's voice trailed off, her eyes wide.

"No," She whispered. Sango frowned, turning her head. "What is it?" She asked, worried. Kagome quickly rose from her seat, knocking the chair back in her haste. Sango looked up at her, noticing how pale she'd gotten all of a sudden.

"Kagome, what--"

"I'm sorry, S-Sango, I've gotta go." Kagome stuttered, rushing through the crowd of people. Sango stood up, calling after her. Miroku walked up holding out her glass of lemonade.

"Where'd she run off to?" He asked, jerking a thumb in the direction Kagome had taken off in. Sango shrugged, returning to her seat slowly. She bit her lower lip, a little alarmed at Kagome's behavior.

"I don't know." She mumbled, looking back over her shoulder in the direction Kagome had been staring at so intently.

~~~~~~

Kagome burrowed deeper in her jacket. Since she'd fled the food court at the university, the wind had picked up considerably. Her uncovered face and hands were numb, but she didn't care. Her thoughts were preoccupied with what she'd seen back there.

"No, what I thought I saw," She corrected herself aloud. She continued walking along the worn path, her feet guiding her automatically. She didn't really need to look where she was going; she knew this place by heart. After all, it had been hers and Inuyasha's favorite place to go.

The park was quiet, not many people willing to leave the comfort and warmth of the indoors to brave a walk outside in the cold. Kagome was glad for the solitude. Right now, she didn't think she could stand to be around anyone else.

A gust of wind rustled the trees. Kagome shivered, brushing the hair out of her eyes. What had she really seen back at the food court? Was she now so far gone that she was starting to hallucinate?

"Inuyasha." She whispered, the wind carrying her whisper away. She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. Had she really seen him standing in the shadows, watching her?

"No!" She said loudly, opening her eyes. Inuyasha was dead. There was no way she could have seen him today. You don't see dead people.

Kagome stopped, realizing where she was. She looked around, memories of that night coming back to her. It was in this exact spot where it had happened. The same spot where he'd kissed her, holding her so tight…the same spot where he'd died.

Kagome shook her head, remembering. "Disappeared…" She whispered. She knit her brow in confusion. She wasn't even sure what had really happened that night. The last thing she recalled was holding him in her arms and then…nothing. She must have blacked out because when she came to, she was alone, Inuyasha nowhere to be found.

"That doesn't mean he's alive," She said aloud, hushing the hopeful voice in her head. It had been a little over a year and Inuyasha was still gone, assumed dead. Kagome hung her head, her hair whipping about her face as the wind rustled around her. She had to get over him. It was as simple as that. A tear rolled down her cheek slowly.

All they had been through, all they had shared together, she would have to put behind her for the sake of her own sanity.

"Goodbye," She whispered, brushing the tear from her cheek. She turned quickly, not wanting to be in this place anymore. As she made her way back to her car, she didn't notice a figure watching her from the shadows. She wasn't aware of being watched as she slid into her car, backed out of the parking space and drove off. The figure watched until her taillights were mere dots in the distant.

The figure stepped from the shadows; his broad shoulders braced again the wind, his long hair lashing against his face furiously. He reached into the pocket of his black leather jacket and pulled out a carton of cigarettes, placing one of the slender sticks between his lips. A flame flickered beside him and he turned to the hand holding the lighter.

"Can we go, baby?" A sultry voice whined from behind him. He cupped a hand around the ebbing flame and lit the end of his cigarette. He took a long drag and exhaled, a ring of smoke floating above him.

"Feh." He muttered, slowly walking away. "Let's go."

a/n: well, that's chap 2…hope everyone likes it. hope no one is confused. well, please leave reviews, even if you don't like it ( i can take a lil constructive criticism) and i'll see ya next chap!