InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Falling ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Part 2

~*~*~

Inuyasha woke with a start. The baby was crying. Of course. It was time for her to eat. He hated feeding her. That was supposed to be Kagome’s job. Careful of his wounded stomach, Inuyasha sat up. He picked up the waterskin and opened the top. Inside was milk. He picked up the infant and brought the waterskin to her mouth, careful to just dribble it into her mouth, so he wouldn’t spill.

When the little girl was done, he patted her back to make sure she had no bubbles, then laid her back down. He stood up and walked to the mouth of the cave.

He stared sightlessly out into the darkness. He loved his children. His three beautiful children. Kisho, who was seven, looked just like him. He thought it was hilarious that he could look just like his father, so he had grown out his hair and adopted wearing clothes just like Inuyasha. He even carried around a wooden sword so he looked just like his father. And he even had the same forward attitude as Inuyasha. They were mirror images.

Then there was Masa. He was four years old. He had short black hair, taking after his mother, and bright gold eyes, which he got from his father. He was quiet most of the time and very sensitive to the things around him. Being such a gentle soul, Kisho always took care of him, dragging Masa around to play and show him things.

The newest member was only five weeks old. She had silver hair and matching eyes. She didn’t have a name yet, and Inuyasha had to convince himself she was worth the effort to keep alive. He loved her, there was no doubting that, but she was so little and weak, and it was so hard to keep her alive with all the traveling they were doing. Inuyasha had to talk himself into fighting for her life. Kagome would have wanted that. But sometimes he hated that little girl.

Inuyasha sighed, feeling guilty for his feelings. Hating himself for having to convince himself it was worth the effort.

A biting, cold wind brought Inuyasha from his dark thoughts. The smell of wolf was heavy on the breeze, warning Inuyasha that they were approaching. He swore silently and looked up, trying to judge the time. How long did he have to get his children to safety?

Quickly, he moved to rouse his sleeping sons, careless that his wounds had torn open again. “Wake up, Kisho, Masa. We have to leave. The wolves are coming.”

The children groaned and tried to role over, but Inuyasha wouldn’t have it. “Wake up! We don’t have a lot of time!” He pulled them up, and grabbed his outer kimono and pulled it over his head. Then he bent down and picked up the baby. “Kisho, can you keep up with me if I strap the baby to you?”

“Yes. I can, I swear I can.”

“Good, because we have to run fast.” He bent and strapped the baby to Kisho’s front. Kisho wrapped his arms around the baby to help support her.

“Masa, climb on my back and wrap your arms around my neck. Hold on tight, because we have to move fast and I don’t want you to slip.” He bent down and let Masa climb up. Masa was scared and the smell of fear rolled off of him. “Masa, it’s okay, we can do this, just trust in me, okay? I won’t let anything happen to you, I promise.”

“Okay, Daddy.”

“Okay, let’s go. Kisho stay close behind me, and if you start to fall behind, yell.”

“Okay.” Kisho nodded and readied himself to run.

Inuyasha started to run. The sky was already tuning light blue. Thank God for that, he thought. At least Kisho wouldn’t trip on an unseen stone.

Inuyasha’s gut burned from the torn muscles being used and blood soaked the front of his kimono. He blocked out the pain. He felt nothing but the urgency to get his children away as fast as he could. But he knew he couldn’t outrun Kouga. Even if the wolf didn’t have the shards to increase his speed, he was still faster than Inuyasha at his best.

The smell of wolf was getting stronger and he knew they would overtake him and his children soon. Quickly, Inuyasha surveyed his passing surroundings until he saw a relatively protected nook in the mountainside just up ahead.

He slid to a stop and had Masa slide off his back. Kisho caught up with them, then and tried to catch his breath. “Kisho, take your brother and sister and go back there behind those rocks. Stay out of sight, and no matter what happens, don’t come out and keep quiet. Got that?”

Kisho nodded and grabbed Masa’s hand, pulling him behind the rocks and ducked low behind them. Inuyasha eyed the hiding spot, making sure that they couldn’t be seen and took a fighting stance in front of it. He pulled Tetsusiaga out of it’s sheath and stood ready.

~*~*~

Kouga was pissed. Inuyasha was in his mountains. That wasn’t the problem. The problem was the fact that he was running away.

Kouga might not like Inuyasha, but he always looked forward to a good spar with the half-demon. Verbal or physical, it was always a workout with Inuyasha. So what the hell was he running away for?

When his wolf sentry had reported Inuyasha the previous night, he’d been too eager to wait for morning to cross swords with the dog, so he had set off, with his wolves following behind him.

Kouga scented the air to make sure Inuyasha hadn’t changed directions and nearly stopped when he scented blood. Inuyasha was wounded. And there was fear in the air as well. What the hell was going on? But he was closing the gap between him and Inuyasha quickly.

Within moments, Kouga spotted Inuyasha, standing ready, sword drawn with a look so fierce, Kouga stopped short.

“What the HELL do you think you’re doing, you mangy dog?!”

Inuyasha said nothing, just growled softly under his breath. This really threw Kouga. What was wrong with him? He was acting like a trapped animal.

“Well? What the hell is wrong with you? Why’d you run like a coward? Too afraid to face me?” Kouga sneered. “That’s it, isn’t it? You’re afraid of me. ‘Bout time you wizened up, flee-bag.” He crossed his arms over his chest and gave Inuyasha a cocky grin.

Inuyasha didn’t move. He hardly breathed. He was poised ready to strike if warranted. Kouga frowned. “What is up with you? You’re not acting like yourself.”

That’s when a small noise caught Kouga’s attention. He turned his head toward the noise and smelled three faint scents coming from behind the rocks. Inuyasha growled deep and his whole body coiled, ready to strike Kouga.

That’s when it hit Kouga. Inuyasha was protecting the three behind the rocks. Inuyasha wasn’t just acting like a trapped wounded animal, he was also acting like a parent protecting his young. Inuyasha was hiding his children.

“Inuyasha, what’s wrong?” Kouga dropped his arms. But Inuyasha was still obviously feeling threatened so Kouga gestured to his wolves to back off. “Inuyasha, tell me. What’s wrong? Where’s Kagome?”

“Swear Kouga, you’ll not hurt my children. Swear it, or I’ll kill you right now.” Inuyasha bit out.

“I thought you knew me better than that.”

“Swear it!”

“I swear to you, Inuyasha, I will never hurt you’re kids.”

Inuyasha stared at him for a moment, judging if his words were true. Finally the tension left Inuyasha’s body, and with the tension, left Inuyasha’s strength. He collapsed out of exhaustion. The sword fell to the ground, transforming back into it’s ruined state. And Inuyasha’s eyes closed.

Quickly, Kouga leapt forward and knelt down next to him, checking to see what was wrong. A small cry came from behind the rocks and Kouga looked up in time to see a child rush forward and grab Inuyasha’s sword, raising it into a fighting stance. “Get away from him!”

Kouga stared at the child. He was a mirror image of Inuyasha. “Put that down before you hurt yourself.” But the child didn’t move.

“Kouga... Remember, you swore you wouldn’t hurt him... Please...” Inuyasha’s eyes were squeezed shut, his breath carried in gasps.

“Ah, shut up, you dumb dog. I can’t believe you ran yourself into the ground because you thought I’d hurt your brats.” Kouga rolled Inuyasha over, and gasped. Inuyasha’s kimono was soaked in blood.

Kouga swore foully, then called to his wolves. “Take him back to the den, and treat his wounds.”

“Sure thing, boss.” Quickly the wolves picked up Inuyasha’s limp form and carried him off.

Kouga watched as his wolves and Inuyasha disappeared. Then he turned to the young boy, still wielding his father’s sword. “I thought I told you to put that down.”

“Where are they taking him?”

“Cool it. They’re taking him somewhere safe.” Kouga sighed. “Now, what should I do with you?”

“You told him you wouldn’t hurt us.” The boy’s gripped tightened.

“Yeah, I did. And I won’t. But believe me, kid, I didn’t promise to take care of you. I could just leave you here. So put that sword down, before I decide that’s what I’m going to do.” Kouga gave the boy a pointed stare.

For a moment, the boy looked mutinous. Then, he looked over his shoulder, and lowered the sword. The boy looked really glum.

Kouga’s expression softened. “Don’t worry. I’m going to take you back with me. I’ll make sure you guys are taken care of until your father is well.”

“Dad’s gonna be okay, right?”

“Inuyasha’s going to be fine. He’s one of the hardest people to kill I’ve ever known.” Immediately, Kouga knew that was a mistake to say, because the boy’s eyes narrowed.

“You tried to kill my father?”

Kouga rolled his eyes. “Never mind that. Come on, grab the others so we can go. I don’t want to wait around here all day.”

The boy glowered at him for a moment, then called out to the others behind the rock. “You can come out, now. It’s okay.” Immediately, a small boy with black hair poked his head out from behind the rock and cautiously came out. In his arms was a very small baby with silvery-white hair. Kouga was shocked. What the hell was Inuyasha thinking, traveling with an infant that young?

With a sigh, Kouga bent to take the small baby. “Come on. Let’s go. I think you guys need some breakfast.”

~*~*~

^_^ LoL My muse snuck up on me and made me write this. But now she's abandoned me *runs around, chasing muse with a net* COME BACK HERE!!!

I hope you guys liked this. I really enjoyed writing this part. But dammit! I can't figure out how to start the next part. *sigh* stupid muse...

And! I'm still working on Shared Hearts, so I have to juggle what I'm writing. I just ask for patience. ^^;; But if you have any ideas that might help me write this Yaoi (remember, this is my first), and the yaoi parts, LET ME KNOW!!!! I'm having real problems with my ... ummm ... yaoi scene. LoL

^_^ PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know what you think! Much appreciated. And thank you to my 2 wonderful reviewers!

Christy