InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Falling ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Part 3

~*~*~

Kisho glowered up at Kouga. “You can’t tell me what to do. I don’t want to eat your breakfast! And I want to see my Dad!”

“Do as I tell you, Puppy, and eat what you’re given! I won’t tell you again!”

“No!”

Kouga snarled and turned away. He’d been arguing with Kisho for a while. The kid just would not listen! Kouga ran his hand over his hair in frustration. “Fine! Don’t eat, see if I care!”

“I want to see my Dad.”

“You can’t, so quit asking. He’s pretty banged up and he needs time to heal. Seeing you brats isn’t going to help.”

Kisho came over to Kouga and kicked him in the shin. “You can’t keep us from seeing our Dad! He’s our Dad and I’ll see him whenever I want, and you can’t stop me!”

“Dammit! Stop acting like a spoiled little brat, would you?!” Kouga yelled as he rubbed his shin. “Don’t you care at all about him getting better?”

Kisho quieted down and looked right into Kouga’s eyes. “I love my Dad, and he’s all we have left. I just want to see that he’s okay.” Kisho’s face took a shadowed look before he turned away.

Kouga looked at Kisho for a moment and sighed. He had no idea what had happened to this family. It must have been bad to bring Inuyasha here. Kouga sighed again. “Fine. Let’s go see your father.”

Kisho turned back and looked at Kouga suspiciously. “I thought you said “no”.
“Are you going to argue about that with me now, too?” Kouga gave him an exasperated look. “I can tell you’re going to be a handful.” Kouga glowered at him. “You’re just like you’re Dad.”

“Thank you.”

Kouga tried really hard not to laugh. “Trust me, that’s not a compliment.” He turned to a nearby wolf and gestured for him to come over.

“Here. Take the baby to Nana.”

“Okay, Boss.”

Kisho’s eyes got round. “Where’s he taking my sister? No, she has to come with us to see Dad too!” Kisho turned to rush after the wolf.

“Hold it, Puppy! He’s taking her to Nana Wolf. She takes care of all the wolf cubs, so just relax. You’ll be with her right after you see your Dad.”

Kisho scowled up at Kouga. “Fine.” He said sulkily.

Kouga turned and led the way to the cave where Inuyasha was recovering. Before he entered the cave, he stopped and turned to the boys. “You will not wake him. He should be sleeping right now, so be quiet. Understand?”

Both boys just nodded. Kouga, satisfied with their nods, turned and entered the cave. He leaned against the cave wall and watched silently as the two boys entered the cave.

Kisho and Masa stood for a moment, letting their eyes adjust to the darkness. When they spotted Inuyasha, they walked slowly over to him, trying not to disturb him.

Kisho bent down and laid the Tetsusiaga down next to his father. Then he and Masa sat down quietly next to him. Kisho took Masa’s hand and they sat quietly, watching their father rest.

Slowly, Inuyasha opened his eyes and turned to look at his sons. He smiled at them, not quite sure what had happened to put him on bed rest.

“Dad!” Kisho said, grinning happily at his father. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. What about you guys? Are you okay? And what about your sister?”

“She’s okay. Kouga sent her to some wolf to take care of her.” Kisho gave him a sour look. “We’re going to go there after we leave you.”

Inuyasha’s mind reeled. Everything came flooding back to him. The run, the confrontation, and him collapsing. Kouga had had his wolves tend to his wounds. Inuyasha scanned the caves and his eyes found Kouga standing near the entrance.

Kouga stood up and took a step toward the boys. “Okay, Puppies. You saw him, and you see that he’s okay. Time to leave.”

“But we just got here!” Kisho protested.

“Don’t argue with me! You wanted to see him, you saw him. Now move it!” Kouga scowled at the boy.

“Kisho.” Inuyasha said softly. He was still exhausted. “Listen to Kouga. He won’t keep you from seeing me. You can come back later. Listen to him, okay? And be good.”

Kisho looked at his father for a moment, looking as if he wanted to cry. Then determination crossed his face and he stood up. “Come on, Masa. We’ll come back a little later.”

Masa looked at his father and suddenly threw his arms around Inuyasha’s neck. “Daddy, I love you! Get better soon, okay?”

Inuyasha returned the hug. “Okay.” He smiled at Masa as he stood up. “Be a good boy.”

“Alright.” He took Kisho’s hand and they exited the cave with Kouga.

Outside, Kouga sighed, exasperated that Inuyasha had woken up. He should be sleeping soundly, recovering from his wounds.

“Daddy’s not going to leave us like Mommy, is he?” Came a teary voice. Kouga looked at Masa and saw that his eyes were brimmed with tears.

“No, Masa! Dad’s gonna be okay! Don’t worry.” Kisho smiled at his younger brother. “Let’s go play ball or something. We’ll come back and see Dad later.” Before Kouga could stop him, Kisho took Masa’s hand and ran down the path.

Kouga scowled after the boys. “Dammit. That kid doesn’t listen.” He turned his head and looked at the two wolves sitting near the entrance of the cave. “Hakkako, Ginta. Go after them, would you?”

“Sure thing, Boss.” They jumped down started after the children.

“Let them be. Just make sure they stay out of trouble.” Kouga called after them.

Kouga shook his head and turned around. He entered the darkened cave and looked at Inuyasha. “That brat of yours is just like you.”

“Thank you.” Inuyasha gave Kouga a cautious look. “Why are you helping us?”

Kouga scowled at him. “Why do you think that I’d jump at the chance to be rid of you? I have never fought you unfairly. Besides, you have me very curious as to why you’re even here.” Kouga crossed his arms and gave Inuyasha a level look. “Where’s Kagome?”

Inuyasha stared at Kouga for a moment before turning away without answering.

“You are not going to get off that easily, Mutt. What happened to her?” Kouga sat down directly next to Inuyasha. “Why did your youngest brat say she’s gone?”

“It’s none of your business.” Inuyasha said flatly.

“Like hell it’s not! I left her in your care! What the hell happened?” Kouga grabbed Inuyasha’s chin, and forced him to look at him. Kouga gasped and released Inuyasha when he saw tears shining in his eyes. “Inuyasha...”

“I can’t talk about it. Don’t ask.” Inuyasha turned his head away again.

Kouga sat there for a moment. “Fine. I’ll ask you when you’ve healed up a bit.” With that, he stood up and walked silently to the cave entrance. He looked back at the hanyou for a moment before exiting the cave. A lump had formed in his throat. He knew from the little he’d heard so far that Kagome was dead. Her pups were motherless and the way Inuyasha was going, they’d soon be fatherless. Kouga stiffened at that realization. Inuyasha was willing himself to die.

Kouga swore a blue-streak as he stormed down the path the pups had run. Soon they came into sight and he stopped. He watched them silently as they played a game of tag.

A grin tugged at the corner of his lips as he watched the two boys chase Hakkako and Ginta around. The boys laughed as the two wolves ran from them tripping and falling all over themselves in an effort to get away from them. When the boys caught them, they tackled them and wrestled with them, laughing and shrieking.

Kouga leaned against a rock and watched them silently, wondering how Inuyasha could even think about leaving them behind. He’d have to figure out a way to get Inuyasha willing to live again.

~*~*~