InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Falling ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Falling
Author: Christy

*****

Part 4

~~~~~

Kouga walked into the well lit cave, the two puppies following close behind. This was the cave where all the children were. As big as his den of wolves was, there was close to a hundred children of all ages. Following the cave through led to a large atrium where the children lived.

“I don’t have enough children to care for, so you thought to add 3 more?” came a voice in a side room of the cave.

Kouga grinned and headed into the small alcove. “Yes, well, I knew you’d be up for the challenge.” He smiled at the older woman. “And believe me, it’ll be a challenge, Nana.”

Nana glowered at him. “Do you know how under cared for this infant is? In all rights, she should be dead.” She looked down at the sleeping infant. “How someone could neglect a child like this...”

“That’s not true! We did the best we could!” Kisho yelled, glaring up at the she-wolf. “You don’t have the right to judge us!”

Nana looked down at the boy in surprise. “I see what you mean by challenge.” She looked back at Kouga. “Who’s cubs are these anyway? They aren’t wolf.”

“They’re Inuyasha’s pups. I’ve decided to take them in while he recovers.” Kouga looked down at the baby. “She is a bit small, but otherwise looks healthy.”

“Leave it to a man who has no experience to judge health.” Nana shook her head. “She’s lost all the newborn pinkness and her belly tie. My guess is she’s over a month old. She should be twice the size she is now.”

Kouga stared at the infant, in shock. She didn’t look older than a few days. He looked down at the two boys. “How old is your sister?”

Kisho looked at his sister and touched her head gently. “She’s five weeks.”

“And when did you start traveling?”

“The night she was born.”

Kouga closed his eyes. He was thoroughly frustrated with this lack of information. “What happened that night?”

“I don’t know.”

Kouga growled and glared at Kisho. “Puppy, I want to know what happened that night, and I want you to tell me right now!”

Kisho glared back at him. “I don’t know! And if I did, I wouldn’t tell you.”
“Puppy-”

“I don’t like you! I can take care of my family without your help! Leave us alone!” Kisho turned away from Kouga then, refusing to even look at him.

Kouga bristled. He took a step forward, but Nana stepped in front of him and pushed him into the main cave area. “Calm down. These children have had it rough these last five weeks, right? Leave them in my care. You just go and do whatever it was you were planning.”

Kouga glowered at her, then took a deep breath. “Fine. And make sure you tell the cubs that these 3 are under my personal protection. I don’t want any problems.”

“Your personal protection?” Nana looked at him in surprise. “Your taking three mix-breeds under you protection?”

Kouga sighed. “Yeah I am. They’re Kagome’s children.”

“Ah. That explains it.” Nana gave him a stern look. “You really need to move on. She chose the hanyou over you. You are not obligated to care for her offspring.”

“Just make sure the word is spread. I don’t want any trouble.”

“Fine.”

Kouga sighed and walked back out of the cave. Nana wolf was the only wolf that could get away with talking to him that way. She always did what he wanted her to, but she always voiced her objections. She was his mother after all.

After clearing his head, Kouga walked back to the cave where Inuyasha was. He stopped short of entering, not sure what he was doing there. Inuyasha was severely injured and needed rest.

Before he could enter, Shinya, the den’s healer backed out of the cave. “How’s he doing?”

Shinya jumped and spun around. “Oh! Kouga, you startled me.” He tossed a glower over his shoulder. “He’s got the temper of a wolverine. He doesn’t want me to look at his wounds anymore and threatened me if I didn’t leave.”

Kouga grinned. “That sounds more like Inuyasha.”

“Yeah, well, Inuyasha or not, I’m surprised he’s alive. His wounds are all infected and his body’s exhausted. And from the little he let me look at them, it seems like there’s also something wrong with the wounds. They aren’t healing properly.” Shinya shook his head. “It’s like they’re refusing to heal.”

“What does that mean?” Kouga said, looking alarmed.

“Like a spell has been placed on them. He hasn’t been here that long, but his demon blood should have allowed his wounds to heal up a little by now. But, instead, they look just as raw as when he was brought here.”

“Great. So now what?” Kouga sighed. The situation seemed to just be getting worse.

“I suggest we use sleeping root on Inuyasha.” Shinya shook his head. “I normally wouldn’t say that, but Inuyasha is being thick headed. He won’t let me tend to his wounds and even though his body is tired and refusing to allow him much movement, in a few days he’s going to regain some of his strength and I doubt that’s going to make it any easier to treat his wounds.”

“Great. We either piss him off by holding him down while we treat his wounds or we piss him off by drugging him to treat his wounds. Some choices.” Kouga sighed. “Gather the sleeping root. You know the dosage amount, so mix it in with his food.”

Shinya nodded and moved away. Kouga looked after him, wondering if using the sleeping root was really a good idea. But Shinya was right. Inuyasha wasn’t going to make it easy on them to treat him, so they really didn’t have much choice.

Kouga walked into the darkened cave and found Inuyasha staring blankly at the ceiling. “Must you give Shinya a hard time? He’s just trying to help.”

“He was practically sniffing my wounds. I don’t need that kind of treatment, thanks.”

Kouga grinned. “Yeah, well you’re a special case. Apparently, your wounds are seriously infected as well as some kind of spell is on them too. Your wounds won’t heal. It would be nice if you let him figure out how to help you.”

“No thanks. I don’t want him drooling all over me again.”

“Fine. But you’re going to eat everything your given tonight, or I’m going to shove it down your throat. You need to get better. And soon. Your brats are too much trouble and I don’t want to take care of them forever.”

Inuyasha growled low in his throat, but said nothing.

“Good boy. I might even give you a treat if you keep behaving.” Kouga sneered down at Inuyasha. He received a snarl and a glare in return.

“Shut your face, you dirty wolf! I don’t need your help!”

“Funny. Your kid said pretty much the same thing.” Kouga grinned down at him. “But the way I see it, you’re pretty much at my mercy right now. And I intend to take full advantage of these circumstances.”

Shinya walked into the cave right then, preventing Inuyasha from responding. Kouga quickly took the food out of his hands and dismissed the wolf. Kouga grinned down at Inuyasha as he sat down next to him. “Do I need to spoon feed you?”

Inuyasha glared so furiously at him, Kouga was surprised that Inuyasha hadn’t attacked. Inuyasha struggled to sit up, but Kouga put a hand on his chest.

“Your going to reopen your wounds if you keep that up. I either help you sit up, or I spoon feed you. Your choice.” Kouga waited for a response.

“Fine, help me up.” Inuyasha gritted out.

Kouga set the food down and held out one arm for Inuyasha to grab and slid the other behind his back. He pulled Inuyasha into a sitting position, and then slid in behind him to help prop him up.

Inuyasha stiffened. “What the hell-”

“You can’t even sit up on your own, Inuyasha, so just shut up and eat.”

It took Inuyasha a moment to except this, but then he relaxed a bit and let himself lean against Kouga. Slowly, Inuyasha ate his food, never saying a word as he was trying to ignore the fact he was using Kouga as a chair.

Inuyasha began to drift off before he even finished his food. Finally, his hand dropped to his side and he rested fully against Kouga’s chest, breathing slowly. Kouga sighed and moved the platter of food off of Inuyasha’s lap and wrapped his arms around Inuyasha’s chest, fully intending to move out from behind him.

He stopped and sighed again. Just holding Inuyasha like this felt comfortable. Kouga didn’t like the thought of Inuyasha in such a vulnerable state. He would help Inuyasha get well, even if the dumb dog didn’t like it.

~~~~~~

>.> Err... Sorry for the long delay? Hope you liked it. More to come. And yes, we are getting closer to that lemon I was talking about!