InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Family Instincts ❯ Family Instincts - The Storm Gathers ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Family Instincts - The Storm Gathers
By Majicman55
 
Okay, okay. I do not own any part of InuYasha. I just like to play with the characters.
 
 
The sun was just beginning to rise over the Tokyo skyline when InuYasha was finally able to see again. Well, sort of.
 
“Ka-Kagome?”
 
“Red sky at morn.”
 
“What was that?” asked the puzzled hanyou, rubbing his eyes. He was finally able to discern the fuzzy shape of his mate sitting in front of him, knees drawn partway up with her arms wrapped around them.
 
“It's part of an old sailors' rhyme. Red sky at night, sailors' delight. Red sky at morn, sailors to warn. The sky is red, InuYasha.” The miko looked closely at her mate. “You can see again. Good.”
 
InuYasha's vision finally came back into sharp focus and he smirked. “I can see you're not wearin' any underwear.”
 
Kagome smiled wanly at her mate and stood up to face the eastern sky. “Kaede would have said that the sky was the color of blood. There's a storm coming, InuYasha…and all you can think about is whether I'm wearing panties.”
 
“I shouldn't think about whether you're wearing panties?”
 
Kagome blushed slightly. “Well, I didn't exactly say that.
 
“Then you do want me to think about you without your panties.”
 
“I…uhhh…”
 
InuYasha began rubbing his mating mark in a gentle, circular motion, knowing that Kagome's mark would respond to the stimulation. “You do want me to think about you, bare and vulnerable, getting wet and ready for me to…”
 
“InuYasha!”
 
“What?” A look or realization passed over the hanyou's face. “Oh, of course. We must return to the hunt.”
 
“Damn you.”
 
“That's already been tried.”
 
 
******************
 
 
After a few minutes of cleaning up, and after calling Midoriko and telling her to bring Akamaru and Aoimaru, Kagome and InuYasha proceeded downstairs to the apartment where Nyoko had been held. There was a possibility of finding clues to where “number 3” was. Besides, the hanyou's nose had distinguished Bengoshi's and Onaraku's scents during the fight on the rooftop. He already knew Nyoko's scent. And that meant the remaining scent in the apartment would have to be Seijika's.
 
“Watch out for booby traps,” whispered Kagome as they entered the run-down apartment.
 
“Oi. Why are you whispering?”
 
Kagome was standing, slightly hunched over, next to InuYasha. “I don't know. It just seemed appropriate.”
 
“There ain't no one here to hear ya, and the only boobies I see are…”
 
“Osuwari!” A ghostly image of his old subjugation necklace appeared around the hanyou's neck, followed by…
 
<CRASSSHHH>
 
“What did you do that for?”
 
“Honestly, InuYasha. First you're fantasizing about my panties, next you're belittling my boobies.”
 
“There ain't nothin' little about your boobies!” InuYasha's eyes got very wide and he clamped his hands over his own mouth as he prepared for the worst.
 
“Really?”
 
InuYasha looked up, surprised he hadn't suffered another face-planting. “Uhh, yeah.”
 
Kagome turned from side to side, showing off her profile. “Do you like them better than Kikyo's?”
 
“Yeah!”
 
“So you did see Kikyo's breasts! Osuwa-“
 
“No!”
 
“No?”
 
“No.”
 
“I…I guess you could compare them without seeing her naked.” Kagome started fumbling with the buttons to her blouse. “But do you think mine, you know, sag without the bra?” She unhooked the front clasp and allowed herself to spill out.
 
InuYasha stood there with his mouth hanging open.
 
“Honestly, mother. We all know you don't sag. Now, would you stop trying to seduce father again?”
 
Kagome turned to where her daughter had walked into the apartment. “Hi, Midoriko.” She chewed on her lower lip, pensively. “Is that what I was doing?”
 
Midoriko rolled her eyes and started to giggle. “Stop it, mother. You know you can't pull that innocent act with me. Now, get yourself together. Akamaru and Aoimaru are right behind me.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Kagome had just finished re-buttoning her blouse and InuYasha had just managed to pick his jaw back up off the floor when Akamaru and Aoimaru walked in.
 
Akamaru sniffed around. “She really was here.” He sniffed again. “But there's…something else. Something…” Akamaru glared at his mother and father. “Can't you two give it a rest?”
 
“Feh. Ask your mother about that.”
 
“She was trying to seduce him, again.”
 
Kagome gave her daughter a sort of mock frown; then looked back at Akamaru. “I was not trying to seduce your father.”
 
“He was standing there with his jaw hanging to the floor, getting all glassy-eyed…just because mom flashed him her…”
 
“Midoriko Higurashi!”
 
Midoriko felt a strong tug, reminding her that her mom had never taken off their subjugation charms. If her mother used all three names, she would be slammed to the floor…just like her father was when her mother said Osuwari. “That was a dirty trick, mother.”
 
Kagome smiled. “Do I have to say all three?”
 
“No, mother.
 
Aoimaru hmpfed. “It's probably just as well. I don't think we wanted to hear the gory details, anyway.”
 
InuYasha was able, finally, to concentrate again, and the hanyou was getting an increasingly serious look on his face. “Oi. Someone lend me their phone so I can call Sesshomaru. The bastard's got a better nose than mine and I want him to confirm something.”
 
Everyone looked at each other. For InuYasha to compliment his brother and ask for his help, this had to be serious. Aoimaru gave InuYasha his cell and the hanyou punched in the required number.
 
 
******************
 
 
Half an hour later, a limousine pulled up outside the tenement and a short, odd-looking man with greenish skin got out to open the rear door for his master. “We're here, Lord Sesshomaru.”
 
“I can see that, Jaken. Stay with the car and try to keep the wheels from being stolen again.” The Great Lord of the Western Lands proceeded on to where his brother and the miko were waiting.
 
Once inside, he took one sniff and wrinkled his nose. “Can't you two give it a rest?”
 
“Keh. Yeah, yeah. We've been there.” InuYasha took his brother aside and kept his voice low enough that only Sesshomaru could hear him. “I didn't want to worry the others, but examine the scents in this room and tell me if you notice anything…familiar.”
 
“Besides the scent of your and the miko's arousal, you mean?”
 
“Cut the crap. We ain't got time for it. Now, use your nose.”
 
Sesshomaru frowned at his brother, but examined the various scents in the room. His eyes narrowed. “Naraku.”
 
“That's what I thought, too.”
 
“They're trying to bring him back.”
 
“Using Nyoko. Yeah, I think so, too. But the scent. It's like she's a lot more than a month along, unlike Kagome.”
 
Sesshomaru sniffed again. “More like a month from whelping.”
 
“Then we have little time.”
 
“Indeed.”
 
“Come on, we have to tell the others.”
 
“Agreed. I'll have Jaken drive us to a restaurant for breakfast. A place where we can get a private dining room.” The Great Lord of the Western Lands took his cell phone out of his pocket and called a detective agency he had used many times in the past. Once he got through, he gave his man the address of the hideout and instructions to find everything he could on the lessees.
 
InuYasha waited patiently till his brother was done with the call. “Oi. Did you bring what I asked you to bring for Kagome?”
 
Sesshomaru only response was to raise one eyebrow as he took a pair of panties out of his pocket and handed them to his brother.
 
 
******************
 
 
Bengoshi and Onaraku had just finished placing wards all around their “number three” hideout when Nyoko woke up. The girl looked around to find that she was in what looked like a cave - although it did have partially finished stone walls and what looked like cells with various instruments of torture(?) along one wall. There was no electricity…only a fire pit in the center of the massive room…and that fire didn't do much to dispel the rankness that permeated the place.
 
“Wh-Where am I?” the girl asked.
 
“Naraku's dungeon,” hissed Seijika. “Amazing that it still exists after all these centuries.”
 
“Naraku?” Nyoko said weakly. “The same Naraku that Akamaru and his family told me about? The evil…”
 
“Silence!” snapped Seijika. “Our father was not evil!”
 
Bengoshi place a hand on Seijika's shoulder. “What your uncle means is that while our father crusaded to bring order to a chaotic land, those who opposed him quite naturally referred to him as evil.”
 
Nyoko felt something cold being placed around her wrist and looked down when she heard a “click” - only to find she had been manacled to the wall.
 
“I'm sorry, daughter,” said Onaraku, “but you ran off before and we cannot take the chance that you'll place yourself in danger again.”
 
Nyoko lowered her eyes. “Sorry, father.”
 
 
******************
 
 
“…and I'll have ramen.”
 
“For breakfast, sir?” asked the waiter.
 
“He's got a `thing' for it,” explained Kagome. “In fact, you'd better bring a double order.”
 
“Very well, Miss.”
 
“Umm, he's my husband.”
 
The waiter tch'ed. “So young.”
 
Kagome beamed as the waiter left to turn in their orders.
 
“Is she always like this?” Sesshomaru whispered to InuYasha.
 
“Feh. She's been looking for the first wrinkle for over four hundred years now.” The hanyou sighed. “Maybe what we have to tell `em will give her one.”
 
“Perhaps.”
 
 
******************
 
 
After almost an hour (and another double helping of ramen for InuYasha), they finally got down to business.
 
“It's Naraku,” said Sesshomaru.
 
“B-But he's gone,” sputtered Kagome. “Destroyed. There's no way he can come back.”
 
“Oi. That's what we all thought.”
 
“Not all of us.”
 
“Feh. Except Fluffy. He thought Nyoko was being used to…”
 
“You will not call me `Fluffy' when we're in a serious…”
 
“Enough.”
 
Everyone turned to Kagome.
 
“What's important is that we handle this…now…and not after Naraku has had a chance to build his power again.”
 
Sesshomaru inclined his head to Kagome. “My apologies, miko. You are right, of course.” The Great Lord of the Western Lands turned back to his brother. “We shall agree, then. You will not call me Fluffy and this Sesshomaru will not rip your lungs out.”
 
InuYasha grumbled. “Keh. Fine.”
 
The cell phone in Sesshomaru's pocket rang. The demon lord flipped it open and listened intently for a minute before thanking the person on the other end and closing the phone. “Careless.”
 
Kagome leaned forward. “Who's careless?”
 
“They may be the sons of Naraku, but they are neither as powerful nor as intelligent. The agency they used has security cameras and routinely saves captured images of their clientele. Their images are being emailed to us as we speak.” Sesshomaru called Jaken on his phone. “Bring in my laptop.”
 
“Yes, m'lord.”
 
Almost as soon as Sesshomaru hung up, Jaken barreled in with the requested computer…which he promptly opened, connected to the net, and slid over to his master.
 
Sesshomaru downloaded his email as InuYasha looked over his shoulder. “You sure get a lot of mail, Flu…Sesshomaru.”
 
“This Sesshomaru has yet to set up his spam filter. This Sesshomaru has been debating whether it would be better to visit the spammers personally.” The Great Lord of the Western Lands cracked his knuckles meaningfully and the tips of his claws began to glow a poisonous green.
 
Kagome frowned. “You can't go around killing people just because you don't like their email.”
 
The next email title was “Hot Anime Women in Your Mailbox.”
 
“Go ahead and kill `em.”
 
Sesshomaru raised both eyebrows. Finally the email from the detective agency appeared and The Great Lord of the Western Lands clicked on the attached jpeg file attachment.
 
After a moment of furious hard drive activity, a malevolent spider head appeared on the screen, fangs dripping blood, with an evil laugh coming from the laptop's speakers. A message blinked over the spider image.
 
You have just been infected with the Naraku Virus
 
“Damn it.”
 
 
 
A/N: Doesn't it figure? The sons of Naraku spreading a computer virus. Wouldn't surprise me if they were behind that “Hot Anime Women in Your Mailbox” email, too. That's probably how they support themselves.
 
And what of the beast under Mount Fuji? I think you'll like what I've come up with for it. <grin> But it will be a few more chapters till it plays its part.
 
Remember, this is a rewrite.
 
As always, please read and review. Thanks!