InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Feudal Fairy Tale ❯ Journey to the Western Lands ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Feudal Fairy Tale

Starlight Demon 22

Warning: I do NOT own Inuyasha, the other characters, or the plot from the manga or anime. They belong to Rumiko Takahashi and everyone involved with that whole thing. I only own my own character, Akemi, other than that no.

Chapter 8- The Journey to the Western Lands
***************************************************************** ***********************************************
By all technicalities, Kagome’s little village has belonged to Inuyasha’s family for generations. Two, to be specific, since his father was the one who built up the Western Lands and now his eldest son ruled them. But the far and wide reaching boarders of the kingdom ruled by the inu youkai clans were unknown to humans and their villages. Some cut into two different lands, thus causing problems for the lords on how to resolve everything when trouble came to be.

The morning for their departure, Inuyasha knew the direct way to the castle. It was quick and easy, but still a journey to behold. Kagome being human caused part of the problem, as Inuyasha could travel by himself and be there in a much more respectable time for a hanyou. But he was sure he’d need Kagome and her powers to help this hanyou. The time will have to be wasted traveling. He watched as Kagome exited her hut with a small pack of items that she’d need; including clothes, food, money, and herbs to help heal the hanyou from her problems. He smiled as she walked up to him.

“Ready to go?” he asked her.

“When you are,” Kagome responded merrily. It was a beautiful morning and she was happy to be enjoying it without worry of working or having to worry about anything at the moment. She also knew that for three days she’d be alone with Inuyasha, her hanyou protector. After he asked her to stay with him in their hut, Inuyasha had been much more interested in spending time with her outside the hut and away from her grandfather when he wasn’t hunting or working on their new hut; which had been put on hold until their return from Sesshomaru’s castle.

Inuyasha took her hand and led her out of the village, no one really watching them, and relaxed as they entered the forest with his name. Though they were silent, it wasn’t of nerves or irritation, but of contentment and peace. They weren’t going to fight somewhere, though Kagome and Inuyasha both knew he’d fight any attacking youkai, but were truly on a mission of peace to help another hanyou.

“Here, climb on my back and we can get there quicker,” Inuyasha suggested as they got to the other end of the forest. Kagome nodded hesitantly and got on his back, blushing some as he grabbed her legs. She rested her head against his back, between his shoulder blades. She laughed a little, feeling what she thought it was to fly as he ran and jumped in their desired direction.

They moved for miles before coming to a spot to rest for the night. Inuyasha brought her wood for a fire and then food. Kagome happily made their dinner as they relaxed from their day traveling.

“I must warn you,” Inuyasha said as they ate, “Sesshomaru’s castle doesn’t have many humans in it. You’ll be stared at, by most in surprise. This is unusual for my half brother.” Kagome nodded as she nibbled on her food.

“Well, I’m probably going to be more preoccupied with the female that is in trouble anyway, to notice their stares.” Kagome said with a shrug. Inuyasha nodded as he thought.

“Until she’s healed, he may want us to stay and celebrate their mating afterwards,” Inuyasha said as Kagome looked at him surprised. “He wouldn’t have come to find me...us, without a valid reason. I think her scent is the one for him, which is why he’s desperate to have us help her, why he even allowed her into his castle, let alone in his own room.” Kagome nodded as she thought and then shrugged.

“Love does weird things to people.” Kagome said airily. Inuyasha sighed and nodded as he returned to eating. “Is there a stream close by?”

“Why?” he asked her surprised.

“A bath?” Kagome said as if it were obvious. He chuckled and shook his head as he thought and sniffed a little for the moisture in the air.

“There’s one that way, not very far off.” Inuyasha said as he pointed towards the east from where they were seated. Kagome nodded as she finished off her food and put the bones of the meat and such aside while gathering some things for her bath. Inuyasha threw the remains of their food into the fire to be destroyed before standing up.

“What are you doing?” Kagome asked surprised.

“I’m going to make sure you don’t get attacked,” he said as if it were obvious. “Like Sesshomaru with that hanyou, I’m not about to let you get killed.” Kagome blushed as she thought.

“Just...don’t look,” Kagome said as she spoke softly. Inuyasha looked at her confused. “As I bathe!” Kagome said understanding his baffled look. With a sigh Inuyasha nodded and led her to the stream. She made sure he turned around and quickly slid into the water. She bathed and enjoyed herself while she was protected by Inuyasha.

She climbed out and dried herself off, quickly redressing before walking towards Inuyasha’s tree. Apparently he had jumped up a tree to keep better guard of her. “Inuyasha!” she called up the tree. She watched as he moved and smiled as his golden amber eyes were placed upon her. “I’m done!” He jumped down the tree and gave her a grin before walking with her back to camp.

Kagome unrolled her pack and laid on it, watching Inuyasha as he jumped up into a low tree branch. “You’re not going to sleep down here?” Kagome murmured as she started to fall asleep.

“I can keep better guard by smelling what’s coming from up here,” Inuyasha said softly. “It’s easier to protect you this way.” Kagome fell asleep with a small smile on her face, enjoying the protective side of Inuyasha as they were so far away from home.

Inuyasha sighed as Kagome slept, his thoughts turning from her resting below him and wishing he could curl up with her to the rest of their journey. They got lucky this far that no youkai had attacked them. He didn’t think that would last the whole trip, but he also anticipated getting there a little bit earlier than he told her. But he also moved further along with her on his back as opposed to them walking, as she anticipated them doing.

He looked down as she seemed to sigh in her sleep and smiled a little. He didn’t know how he got so lucky with her, but he wasn’t questioning it either. She had agreed to stay with him and after this was all over and they were back in the village and living in their new home he’d take her and ask her to be his mate. Her mother didn’t seem to disapprove and her brother would be thrilled. He didn’t understand the human boy but he seemed to look up to him and even aspired to be as much like him as he could.

The sun slowly came over the horizon to reveal a sleeping miko underneath a tree that was occupied by a lightly resting hanyou. His puppy ears would twitch as the birds around them twittered and sang as they woke up. Below him the miko started to slowly stir where she slept, causing the hanyou to open his golden eyes and watch her fondly. He smiled as he noticed her eyes open up and look around hazily. With a swift set of movements he was on the ground and kneeling beside her.

“Good morning,” he said softly. She looked over at him with a smile, with even in her sleepy daze was still brighter than the sun.

“Good morning Inuyasha,” she said as she stretched a little. “Did you sleep well in the tree?”

“Yeah,” he said as he helped her up, “did you sleep well down here? I can always bring you up in the tree with me tonight.”

“I slept wonderfully, thank you,” Kagome said as she woke up further.

“We should get going, we’ve been lucky thus far and I don’t want to test our luck,” Inuyasha said as they cleaned up. Kagome nodded and cleaned up quickly before climbing on his back and Inuyasha taking off. She knew as well as he did that they have gotten lucky to avoid youkai and others who wouldn’t be so kind about a human female traveling with a hanyou male. Youkai and hanyou mating with humans weren’t looked highly upon. Their offspring usually had trouble, as they were usually tormented and ostracized. They were a society taboo.

“Inuyasha,” Kagome said softly as she rested against him.

“Yeah?” he asked as he jumped around from tree to tree.

“Are hanyou able to have children?” Kagome asked almost weary sounding.

“Of course,” Inuyasha said as if it were obvious.

“I didn’t know, mikos are trained that hanyou...they can’t have children like everyone else can.” Kagome said as Inuyasha listened. He remained silent as they came to a clearing and landed. He gently put her down and sat down with her on the ground.

“We can, but most don’t live long enough to find their mates and have the chance to have children.” Inuyasha said with a shrug. Kagome snuggled against him and sighed as she thought. She knew what would come with him asking her to stay with him. “Why do you wonder about such things?”

“I don’t know, I figured if we decided to get married we’d want children one day.” Kagome said a slight blush covering her cheeks. Inuyasha blushed a little and looked away as Kagome rested and relaxed.

After about an hour they started off again, Kagome on Inuyasha’s back, and Inuyasha jumping tree to tree in their desired direction. Despite not being there in quite a few years, Inuyasha knew the direction of where his family came from. All youkai know where their origins came from and how to return, some will only mate upon returning to those lands. Inuyasha’s not that bad, but he always knew how to return to Sesshomaru’s castle.

“If we continue thru tonight we’ll get there early tomorrow,” Inuyasha said as they rested for dinner. Kagome looked at him surprised.

“Are you sure you won’t be tired?” Kagome asked worriedly.

“No, I don’t need as much sleep as you do and you should be able to rest while I run.” Inuyasha said as Kagome nodded and thought about it.

“Alright,” Kagome said nodding, “if you think it’s best.” Inuyasha nodded as he thought, getting uneasy about the youkai populations closer to the castle. Sesshomaru’s court was that of his father’s, large and filled with youkai males and females that wouldn’t let a hanyou near him if they could help it. The only thing that saved Inuyasha or this female was Sesshomaru; in Inuyasha’s case, so Sesshomaru could kill him and for the female to be mated to him.

They cleaned up and Kagome got back on Inuyasha’s back. He started to move again and she sighed and relaxed against him. Inuyasha smiled a little, enjoying the feel of her against his back and allowing him to run free with her. He was also happy her grandfather, who would have thrown a fit beyond all fits if he had seen them like this, wasn’t coming along.

“The stars are beautiful,” Kagome said dreamily as she looked around after the sun set. Inuyasha looked up when he knew he got the chance.

“Yeah they are,” he said softly, Kagome smiled having heard him with her ear against his back. “Get some rest, you should be rested for tomorrow’s arrival.” Kagome sighed and closed her eyes obediently. They both fell silent as the night moved on and Inuyasha continued to make his way, as quickly as possible, towards Sesshomaru’s castle.