InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Feudal Fairy Tale ❯ The Western Land Welcome ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Feudal Fairy Tale

Starlight Demon 22

Warning: I do NOT own Inuyasha, the other characters, or the plot from the manga or anime. They belong to Rumiko Takahashi and everyone involved with that whole thing. I only own my own character, Akemi, other than that no.

Chapter 9- The Western Land Welcome
*************************************************************** *************************************************
Though out the night Inuyasha heard growls and menacing youkai that were obviously sensing two powerful creatures passing through the area. He was happy that those that tried to keep up, fell behind. He didn’t want to wake Kagome up, but he knew that he may very well have to if it means keeping her safe.

The sun rose, bringing relief to Inuyasha as most of the youkai sounded nocturnal. He stopped for a bit and woke Kagome up gently. She looked around and then at Inuyasha confused. “Figured you’d want a bath and food,” he said gently as she nodded and yawned a little. He led her to the river and turned his back, yet keeping his nose in her direction in hopes to make sure she was safe.

“How much further?” Kagome called to him as she bathed.

“About half the day’s worth,” Inuyasha responded with a mere glance at her. He wished he could stare at her but forced himself to turn around again. He jumped a little as he heard the leaves rustle down by the river and prepared to turn around if he heard it again. “Almost done?”

“Almost, I’m getting out now.” Kagome responded, surprised by his question. She didn’t hear the leaves flutter.

“I advise being quick,” Inuyasha said as he heard it again. He jumped out of the tree, surprising Kagome into throwing her clothes on, wet or not. He moved to the bush to see nothing there, but it didn’t settle him. He walked up to her and looked around, sniffing and listening for anything that may come and attack them.

“What did you hear?” she asked confused.

“Movement in the bush, but it’s gone,” Inuyasha said as he looked around. “At least, it’s gone from the bush. We should get going.” Kagome nodded and grabbed her items before climbing on Inuyasha’s back and him going off again.

“Do you think it’ll follow us?” Kagome asked worriedly.

“It’s possible,” Inuyasha said as he moved quickly. “It might be something that spotted us last night, it could have just wandered in on us, anything could have happened to bring it to us.” Kagome nodded against him as she sighed and thought.

They were alone for an hour, enjoying the peace with an unsaid agreement that they should make as little noise to attract anything as possible. It was when Inuyasha got slammed in the chest and they both went flying into the ground that they realized they still weren’t alone. Inuyasha got up growling as he looked to see what had happened. Kagome got up and moved out of the way when they both noticed a large youkai standing before them.

“The runt is attempting to return, with a human whore, I see,” he growled as he stood before them. “You know the Lord’s orders, no half breeds.” Inuyasha growled furiously as Kagome watched and listened.

“That’s funny,” Inuyasha said darkly, “since he came and found us, he asked us to come to help a hanyou in his castle, in his very bed chambers.” The youkai growled furiously, he wasn’t going to believe the hanyou before him, or the rumors he’s heard. They were insulting to the kingdom and the lord, and it was also obvious he was the only one willing to stand up for Lord Sesshomaru.

“You will no longer dishonor the Lord, verbally or existing.” The youkai snarled, thinking of the honors he’d get from Sesshomaru for destroying this blemish on his family tree. He ran swiping at Inuyasha, startling Kagome, though she knew she was to remain behind the tree for safety. Inuyasha dodged the attacks with ease, this youkai was truly no match for him.

“I’d kill you, but I want to prove you wrong first, ugly!” Inuyasha snapped as he dodged more attacks. “Just to watch the look of horror on your face.” Inuyasha punched at the youkai, hitting him in the head once and really doing nothing to him.

“Inuyasha...” Kagome whimpered as he got slammed behind in his slight distraction of figuring out to hurt this youkai. She looked around, unsure if she should even try to help or if she should allow him to fight alone. She didn’t want him to get hurt after all. She watched as Inuyasha kicked the youkai in the head, hurtling him towards a tree. The youkai collapsed from his head on collision with the large tree and Inuyasha turned towards Kagome.

“Quickly,” he said as he grabbed her stuff. She climbed onto his back and he immediately took off. “I didn’t want to kill him because I wanted him to go crying to Sesshomaru and see us there, so he’s only knocked out.” Kagome nodded against his back as she sighed contently against him.

Inuyasha doubled his pace to cover more ground before their sleeping friend woke up to start hunting them down again. As the sun hit midday, the castle came into view. Inuyasha was prepared to sigh in relief but decided to wait until they got to the castle. It was a good thing he decided to wait on that sigh, because the army surrounding the castle was enough to stop him dead in his tracks and cause both him and Kagome to stare stunned.

“We’re never going to get thru that!” Inuyasha shouted angrily. Kagome sighed as she placed a hand gently on his shoulder as she thought.

“There’s got to be a way of getting word to Sesshomaru?” she suggested. Inuyasha sighed as he thought.

“I know when I find that damn youkai I’m going to rip his throat out for this!” Inuyasha said heatedly as he set Kagome down on the tree branch they were standing on. “Stay here, I don’t need anything happening to you. I’ll be back.” He said as he prepared to head on into the army.

“Inuyasha!” Kagome cried as she grabbed at him, her eyes shining brightly with tears of worry. “You’re not going out there alone!” Inuyasha sighed as he stopped himself and turned to face her. “I’m not letting you go out there and get yourself killed!”

“Kagome,” Inuyasha said softly before pulling her into a hug. “I don’t want you to get hurt. I’ll be able to fight better knowing you’re safe up here. And when I’m done I’ll come back and collect you.” Kagome cried into his haori as she listened to him.

“But you’ll be hurt,” she sobbed against him. Inuyasha sighed as he thought and held her against himself. He wasn’t used to these situations, her crying against him and primarily for his own safety. Most would say good riddance to the dead hanyou.

“Kagome,” he started to whine. He didn’t want to go thru this right now, but he also knew, she’d never let him go at this rate.

“You are not going to die on me!” She shrieked at him loudly. He knew they were found now, any youkai within a ten mile radius heard that shriek. She had lifted her head, sniffled loudly, and practically screamed it to get her point across. Sighing he nodded as he thought about how to get in when they noticed the army parting and a pair of someone’s coming down towards them.

“There’s Sesshomaru, must have heard you yelling at me,” Inuyasha said with a lopsided grin. Kagome just pouted and scowled as he picked her and their things up and left the safety of the forest. He walked up with her in his arms, hiding her face as she tried to calm down.

“What is the matter with the miko?” Sesshomaru demanded, figuring if his half brother had upset her she might not be able to help the female.

“Kagome’s just a little upset at the moment, once I get her inside and help her calm down she’ll be fine. I suggest first taking us to a room and then showing her where the female is.” Inuyasha said as Sesshomaru nodded in agreement and led the way thru the army and into the castle. Most didn’t even flinch when they came thru, though Inuyasha recognized a few from his last visit.

“She shall rest in here,” Sesshomaru said showing Inuyasha a room for Kagome. He gave his half brother an annoyed look. “It is inappropriate for you to share a room with a female not your mate. Intended or not.” Rolling his eyes Inuyasha walked into the room and laid Kagome on the bed.

“Are you going to be alright now?” he asked her softly. Kagome nodded as she smiled cheerily, despite the streaks left on her face from the tears. “Then I suggest you wash up. I’ll be in the room across the hall.”

“Actually, the room next door, the room across the hall is this Sesshomaru’s room.” Sesshomaru said from the doorway, fighting not to roll his eyes at the disgusting display his half brother was making with the female. Inuyasha nodded as he sighed and watched as Kagome wandered into an attached room. He smirked as he heard her splash around a little to clean herself up.

“Shall I attend to her right away?” Kagome asked softly as she came out drying her face. She pulled another outfit out of a small bag filled and headed back to the bathroom to change.

“It would be advisable to see how she looks, though you will be expected, as is Inuyasha, to attend at least tonight’s feast honoring your welcome.” Sesshomaru said as Inuyasha nodded. “A seamstress will be up later to take your measurements for the appropriate kimonos.” With that he headed into his own room to check on the ailing female hanyou.

Kagome left the extra room to see Inuyasha sitting on her bed, the door closed, and waiting for her. She looked down as she thought about her reaction in the tree before the rather large youkai army ahead of them. He stood up and hugged her tightly to him, making her smile weakly and hug him back. “Thank you,” he asked her softly.

“For what?” she asked him surprised.

“For fighting with me about fighting that army,” he said as she smiled weakly. “I wouldn’t have probably made it out of that fight.”

“No, it’s not probably, it’s you wouldn’t have lived thru that fight.” Kagome said sternly. “And you’re not leaving me that early. You built me a beautiful home, and intend on making you stay with me in it if I have to drag you back by your cute puppy ears.” Inuyasha chuckled and nodded as he led her to the door.

“Lets check on this hanyou and we’ll get ready for the giant dinner he’s got planned,” Inuyasha said as he opened the door. “The reason a seamstress is coming is because this is usually a dinner filled with dignitaries and such, so we have to look nice. We’ll probably be the only human and hanyou in the place.” Kagome sighed and shrugged as she gently knocked on Sesshomaru’s door.

It opened a few minuets later to reveal Sesshomaru. He nodded to the two of them and allowed them to enter. The healer eyed Kagome darkly as she moved to the bed and looked over the female.

“She’s burning a fever, open the windows please,” Kagome said as the healer stood up with a huff.

“If you open the windows,” she snarled, “everyone outside will know she’s here.”

“And if you don’t, the fever will grow and kill her,” Kagome said shortly before opening them herself. “If you’re not going to help, remove yourself from my way. I can heal her but I need some form of cooperation.” Sesshomaru nodded in agreement as the healer looked to him stunned. “Inuyasha, please go into my room and grab the bag of herbs, I want to give her something for the fever.” Inuyasha left the room as Sesshomaru summoned a maid. She entered the same time as Inuyasha.

“I need a pedestal and mortar and some warm water, nothing boiling it’ll scald her.” Kagome said as the maid nodded in agreement. She rushed off to get as ordered while Kagome sat down and opened the bag. Everyone stopped and watched, though surprise grew on the face of the healer at all the herbs she had in the pack. A maid brought the mortar and pedestal so that Kagome could work while waiting for the water.

“And what will this do?” Sesshomaru demanded.

“Herbs can affect everything we need them to. This one,” she said holding up one of the leafier herbs, “will help in water control fever. Once her fever goes down I can further examine her and then figure out what I need to cure her. As long as the fever exists it’ll be hard to figure anything out.” Sesshomaru nodded as the healer glared at her. The water came and the powdered herb was mixed in.

Inuyasha held the female up and Kagome poured some in her mouth. She massaged her throat to make sure everything got swallowed, allowing her to breathe some in between each sip, and quickly finished off the goblet full.

“I’ll do this again and check on her before I retire for the night and tomorrow she should be fairly better. Then I can check her for more so I can start mixing properly and maybe help her transform back into her hanyou form.” Kagome said as Sesshomaru nodded in agreement. She got up and left with Inuyasha as the healer stormed about the room furiously.

“How dare that little...!” she started furiously.

“That little what?” Sesshomaru demanded.

“She doesn’t know what she’s doing!” the healer shrieked. “For all we know she could have given her some kind of human poison!”

“This Sesshomaru highly doubts they’d be that stupid.” Sesshomaru said sharply. “Now, remove yourself from this Sesshomaru’s presence.” The healer rushed out, afraid of any retribution of not moving quick enough. Sesshomaru sighed once the door was closed and walked up to the unconscious priestess on his bed. He didn’t quite know what to do with her, once she was awake and healthy again. He was amazed he got this far with her here, he was certain he’d have severe retributions for allowing a female that wasn’t pure in his bed, sleeping with him or not.

Sesshomaru prepared for the feast welcoming his half brother and the miko with him, knowing she was to be his intended, whenever Inuyasha grew the balls to ask her. This was his way of thanking them for their help and his approval of the miko for his brother. Sesshomaru finished preparing and looked one last time at the female to see her peering at him weakly. Surprised he strode to her and sat down next to her curiously.

“You’re...not...going to...kill me...?” she asked him weakly, her breathing still rapid but she was obviously awake and aware of where she was. Sesshomaru shook his head as she closed her eyes, sighed heavily, and smiled weakly. He knew she wanted to thank him, but wasn’t strong enough.

“What is your name?” he asked her. She opened her eyes again, their vibrancy surprising him. He wasn’t certain, with how weak and sick she was, that they’d be as beautiful as they currently were. She sighed again, as if the idea of talking seemed to be very taxing on her waning energy.

“A...Akem...i...” she said softly.

“Rest, this Sesshomaru will not allow you to come to harm,” he said softly. “You are safe here, Akemi. There is a miko, you are in her care.” She sighed and closed her eyes. “This Sesshomaru shall return later. Rest.” He left the room to see Kagome and Inuyasha outside of Kagome’s room, getting ready to go to the dinner. “Akemi has woken up.”

“She did?” Kagome asked surprised. “Her fever must have broken. Allow me to check on her before I head down? I just want to make sure she’s alright and no fevers.” Sesshomaru watched as she slid past him into the room. He looked at Inuyasha and watched as he sighed heavily and waited. He wasn’t in his usual clothes, he was in a more traditional kimono, it was red with the family crest on the back. Obviously it was all made of silk, and probably extremely comfortable, not that Inuyasha was making it seem that way.

Inuyasha ignored Sesshomaru as he waited for Kagome, he didn’t think there was much he could say, in a civilized tone mind you, to his older half brother. He understood Kagome didn’t understand what had happened over the years between the two, in all honesty he sometimes didn’t either, but what he did understand was the way Sesshomaru treated him. At first it was with hatred, as if there was nothing in the world that would make Sesshomaru happier or add a smile to his stony cold face than the torture and guaranteed death of Inuyasha by Sesshomaru’s hand. Now it was odd, even for Sesshomaru and Inuyasha’s complicated relationship. Sesshomaru had turned to him for help with this sick, female hanyou that has apparently caught the eye of Sesshomaru.

“The miko is your intended,” Sesshomaru said as Inuyasha shot him an irritated look. It was a statement, like it were true, not the question that Inuyasha would have rather it been.

“Not yet, as soon as I’m done proving I’ll be a good mate,” Inuyasha grumbled.

“What more do you have to do? Take the female you want,” Sesshomaru said to him as if it were as obvious as the crescent moon on his forehead; the deep, midnight blue crescent moon on his pale white face.

“For humans, it’s different. You don’t have to do anything, you were grown up when the old man died so you got the castle, the servants, and everything else. To get approval, and yes I have to have her mother’s approval, I have to be able to prove I can hunt, provide a hut for her daughter, and be able to keep her safe.” Inuyasha said shortly. Sesshomaru nodded as he thought about it while listening. He understood that, in a way. Humans were more protective of their offspring than youkai were, especially when it came to their mates. But that’s because youkai find their mates differently from humans.

Kagome came out of the room smiling. “She’s in great condition, before I go to bed I’ll check on her. Because she’s not burning up, I don’t think she’ll be feverish anymore, but that’s why I’m checking on her just to make sure. Hopefully she’ll be able to transform tonight back into her hanyou form.” Sesshomaru nodded before leading them to the hall where it was obvious a grand feast was going to be served here.

Kagome looked around stunned at all the generals and lords and ladies adorning the room. Granted they were all youkai, but it was an amazing array of colors and looks as everyone seemed to be dressed up in their finest. The truly amazing thing was it was for her and Inuyasha, to welcome them to the Western Lands. Granted, they were probably ordered by Sesshomaru, but the fact that they came was amazing. Inuyasha, Kagome noticed out the corner of her eye, was extremely uncomfortable. She took his hand innocently and squeezed it as Sesshomaru lead them to the table they were eating at. Inuyasha grew a weak, appreciative smile as he walked with her behind him.

“Why are so many here?” Inuyasha muttered. Kagome was certain most, if not all of them, heard him but he didn’t seem to care.

“The same reason they’re always here during these events,” Sesshomaru said almost confirming her beliefs that they could hear and it didn’t matter. “They are to welcome the guests of honor when they come. You know that much.” Inuyasha rolled his eyes as he sat down next to Kagome. Sesshomaru remained standing as he looked out at all the dignitaries of his kingdom as they all took their own seats. The speech that came obviously surprised Inuyasha and made Kagome smile weakly.

“Welcome, tonight we honor the return of my younger brother, Inuyasha,” Sesshomaru said as everyone remained silent. “He brings with him an accomplished miko who is currently attending the health of the neko hanyou residing within this castle.” With that everyone seemed to applaud and murmur, not only in surprise, but in praise for Kagome. “With this will start of a peace between myself and Inuyasha. He will be welcomed within our lands, as his status should have always been.” There was applause again as Inuyasha waited for the catch that would never come. “Tonight, let us feast upon the return of the Western Lands’ younger prince.” Everyone raised their goblets and toasted that before turning to their plates, which had been filled while Sesshomaru quickly spoke. Sesshomaru sat down and noticed a glint of humility in Inuyasha’s eyes as Kagome happily started to taste the food before her.

By the end of the night, despite his desire to know what Sesshomaru is planning, Inuyasha knew he was too exhausted from the journey to truly be able to sit down and listen to his brother’s monotone voice without falling asleep. And he did want to help Kagome with the hanyou before retiring anyway. Inuyasha and Kagome got up after most of the guests had left and headed down the hall to Kagome’s room and then to Sesshomaru’s.