InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ First ❯ Pity ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

First
 
 
Disclaimer: The pairing should be proof enough that I don't own Inuyasha.
 
AN: I know, I know, I know. It's quite late and I apologize. It seems that it was very difficult to write this from strictly Ayame's point. I tried to make it as in depth as Kagome's was but sadly both situations were not the same and less could be done with Ayame's chapter without too much repetition. Anyway now that the introduction chapters finished, the rest of the chapters will come much faster because they will focus on both lovely ladies. All right, my rambling is over, I hope you enjoy.
 
Pity
 
Ayame yawned as she opened her emerald eyes. The sky was blue and the sun shone brightly, not one cloud littered the sky and she smiled at its beauty. She stood up, the sun's rays bouncing off her brilliant red hair, and went to the river where she saw her grandfather already residing.
 
“Good morning, Ayame.”
 
She looked at the old wolf, “Good morning, Grandfather,” she smiled.
 
“You are going to see Kouga today,” he stated rather that asked. She nodded. He knew she was going to, of course. She loved the leader of that wolf tribe and she wasn't about to lose him to that human.
 
“I'd lie if I told you that I don't think he's a good choice for you. You know very well that our pack could use him for a leader.”
 
Ayame furrowed her brows and looked down. It wasn't only herself who was affected by his constant rejection… but her pack as well.
 
And that was only one more reason the wolf demoness had to steal Kouga's heart from that woman.
 
“But,” her grandfather continued with a sigh, “Ayame, his heart doesn't belong to you. It has been two years, he isn't worth the pain. You will find another.”
 
“No, I love him! He promised me! I won't give up on him! Sooner or later he'll realize that I'm better for him!” she shouted, her eyes wide and raw with anger and sadness.
 
“Let him go, Ayame. To chase him like this is foolish,” he told her with a stern tone to his voice.
 
“She doesn't even return his love,” her voice having lowered and had become more pleading in a sense, as though she was begging her grandfather to understand and let her go after him.
 
Her grandfather just shook his head in pity without a word. How sad was it to love someone so deeply only to get nothing but rejection in return? Ayame sighed and looked up at the beautiful sky… she didn't want pity.
 
It was all her pack gave her, though. Pity… the very word was about as horrible as the actual emotion. Ayame hated being pitied more than having her love thrown back in her face.
 
Pity was for the pathetic…and Ayame would not be acknowledged as pathetic.
 
She wasted not another second before she ran off to find her love. She would not let him go. She couldn't.
 
It wasn't fair. She was the one he promised to be with. She was the one who offered her heart. She was the one who would do anything for him.
 
So why was she the one rejected?
 
Kagome didn't love him. Kagome loved that half-breed she traveled with; anyone with eyes could see that. Why couldn't Kouga see what was right there, plain in front of his face?
 
She slowed down and bit her lip. Or did he? If that was the case and he knew that Kagome had fallen in love with the hanyou… then that meant he was just like Ayame. Determined to steal the one he loved from the captor of her heart, and if that was the truth… it would be much more difficult to win Kouga's love.
 
She sped back up, tears building in her eyes that she refused to let fall. She had to be strong. She had to. If she were ever to beat Kagome, she had to remain focused and determined. `I can't let it get to me. I have to keep up my spirits up or I'll lose him forever!'
 
She considered for a moment, was it truly worth the bother? She could save face and stop chasing him, relinquish him to Kagome and allow him to fail horribly. But then… to forfeit was to lose. To officially lose to that human… any human… it would be the greatest insult to a demon. And even more to a wolf.
 
In her desperation to shake the inconceivable notion from her head, Ayame hadn't noticed the strange shadow that lurked within the forest. What she had noticed was the scent of her love… and that of her rival. She picked up speed to her fastest pace and in a whirlwind the female wolf reached her beloved Kouga.
 
She was greeted by a scene that she'd seen many times before, her wolf demon holding that human's by her hands. All heads turned in her direction, but her grassy green eyes only met the deep brown of Kagome's.
 
Kagome took this chance to remove Kouga's hands from her own and smiled, “Ayame!”
 
Ayame ignored the human woman and turned her attention to Kouga, smiling she walked up to the wolf demon. She noted his sigh and Kagome's look of pity. Damn that woman, even she pitied Ayame.
 
Kouga looked at her and rubbed the back of his head. Ayame looked back at him, hiding the sadness she felt within with a smile. She heard Kagome tell the others that they should leave the two wolves alone and return to camp; Ayame saw that they had set up camp a little bit from where Kouga and she were standing now.
 
While they left Ayame looked to Kouga with a smile, “Where are Ginta and Hakkaku?” she asked.
 
Kouga gave her an exasperated look at her attempt at small talk and answered, “They're with the rest of the tribe. I came alone today.”
 
She nodded not losing her hopeful smile, “That's nice; I like it when you're by yourself better.”
 
He shook his head, “Look, I've got to get back. I'll talk to you later or something,” and with a last look over to Kagome, “I will be back soon for you, Kagome!” With that he took off in a tornado.
 
Ayame sighed dejectedly; she glanced over to the group and noticed that they all held that same look of damn pity! None of them looked at her though; they avoided her gaze… except for her… sad brown eyes searched her own as though she knew her pain. Ayame frowned and walked off back into the forest. How dare she look at her like that? She knew nothing of how she felt, the little human couldn't possibly.
 
Ayame let her mind wander further upon the thought of Kagome. A mere human, while a beauty clearly with wavy hair of ebony that held just a hint of blue when the light hit her just right and large brown doe-like eyes that gave away her emotions whether she liked it or not… Ayame couldn't pretend she didn't see what Kouga was attracted to. But she was still merely a human. With or without that sweet and pretty face, there was no escaping it.
 
She was about to run but she lost her desire. Where would she run to? Back home? Could she return to her tribe only to tell them how easily Kouga had shirked her off and almost ignored her presence completely? She'd return, but in no rush and even then she would not tell them about today. She would say nothing. No doubt they would know, but she wouldn't give it to them. She'd been embarrassed enough for it to have happened in front of Kagome and her group.
 
She shook her head once more, tears welling up in her eyes of emerald and the red head continued her walk back home; still too distracted to notice the quiet shadow within the forest.
 
I do hope you enjoyed it and let me know if you did. Again I swear the rest of the chapters will come quickly.
 
No, no! "Rare" implies dangerously cooked. When I say rare I mean just let it look at the oven in terror, then bring it out to me. - Wolf (Scott Cohen) - The 10th Kingdom