InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ First ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

First
 
 
Disclaimer: The pairing should be proof enough that I don't own Inuyasha.
 
AN: Sorry about the long wait, I got hit with a worm and lost everything on my computer. So I had to rewrite this chapter as well as the other ones I was working on and since I was frustrated I took my time. I'm calmer now though, I have a bit of what I lost back.
Chapter Four
It wasn't like it was the first time in two years that she'd gone for a bath on her own.
It wasn't as though this was the first time she'd been upset with Inuyasha.
But this was the first time she had ever left on the night of the new moon. And it was the first time that she'd been so cold to Inuyasha.
But most importantly... this was the first time that Kagome had ever disappeared in over a year. Having learned to take care of herself, Inuyasha and the others—while still doing what they could to keep her protected—hadn't needed to babysit her for a very long time.
And now she was gone. Disappeared when Inuyasha wasn't even able to smell the danger. Now he could though. The scent of the demon lingered. As well as the scent of wolf blood. But Kagome's was gone and Inuyasha was both thankful and angered with that fact. Her scent didn't linger, which meant she wasn't harmed but it meant he couldn't follow her. Inuyasha had lost her trail and she'd been missing for already three days.
“You lost Kagome??” shouted the irate wolf demon that Inuyasha had just accused of kidnapping Kagome, despite that he hadn't attempted to kidnap the woman since that first time.
Inuyasha glowered at him, but said nothing in his defense. After all, hadn't he lost her? It was his human night and he didn't make Sango go with her when she left. Then he asked, “What about Ayame? Have you seen her? There was the scent of wolf blood and she seemed pretty upset with you. What did she do to Kagome??”
“I ain't seen Ayame since I saw you,” Kouga admitted. The worry inside him began to eat away at him as he realized what he might have driven the female wolf to do. “You just keep lookin', dog turd. And if you don't, I'll find Kagome,”
Inuyasha coughed as the flying dust flew into his face. He looked to the others, “C'mon, we gotta keep looking.”
Shippo sniffed, trying to keep from crying. Fearing that he might never see Kagome again, he held onto Kilala's head. He turned to see Sango, her eyes were intense as she searched the landscape. Just like Inuyasha, Sango had blamed herself for Kagome's sudden disappearance. How could she just let her go alone? Especially after such a dramatic scene with a broken hearted demoness.
Where was she?
Why couldn't they find her?
Was she... could she really be...
Dead?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Closed eyes winced as the sun peered over the tree and Kagome squinted as she opened them. The birds were chirping happily with each other and the sky was brilliantly blue with scatters of puffy white clouds.
Sitting up, she saw it was truly a beautiful day. She looked over to the still sleeping wolf demoness and she chose to leave Ayame to take a dip in the river.
Sadly, Kagome lacked her bulbous backpack that she usually toted with her on her trips from home to the Feudal Era. She wished that she had her precious bathing supplies. With a breath she stripped down and jumped into the rather cold water, briefly thinking to herself that this would be a paradise if only it had a hotspring.
xxx
Ayame woke up shortly after Kagome went in for her dip. It wasn't far away from where they'd gone to sleep and the splashing sounds of a swimmer were what brought the demon to the land of conciousness. She sat up and bit her lip when that sharp pain of moving her leg hit her. It was walkable, but it hurt. She didn't dare think of running on it.
She stopped to lean against a tree, letting herself sit underneathe the shade as she looked towards the water Kagome was swimming in. Next to her, Ayame noticed under the tree, were Kagome's clothing. Knowing that she had no other clothes, the thought that Kagome was in that cold water and nude brought a flush to Ayame's cheeks. She looked back to the water, focusing closer than she had previously.
Brows furrowed and green eyes trained on the naked human... no longer did Kagome look like a simple human. Watching her swim, she envisioned a beautiful water sprite or nymph... perhaps a goddess even. The sun shown brightly off Kagome's wet skin when she rose from the water, giving her an—what Ayame had thought—ethereal glow.
And she couldn't move her eyes away.
Suddenly, for a moment, she knew what Kouga must see when he looked at the woman. For that, Ayame felt a familiar pang in her heart of jealousy... and of an intense admiration.
“Good morning, Ayame,” Kagome called as she ran her hand rapidly through the soaked thickness of blue-black hair; shaking away whatever water clung to it and clearly unbothered by the redhead staring at her naked, glowing body.
Ayame shook her head and closed her eyes for a moment, focusing on Kagome's face and touseled hair. Of course she wasn't bothered. Ayame was a female just as Kagome was. She'd probably bathed naked with that other female in their group as well. Had Ayame been male, she imagined there would have been more modesty shown... and perhaps screaming as well. Still Ayame felt the need to explain herself, “I was just watching you swim.”
Kagome cracked a small smile with one raised brow, looking at Ayame with that odd expression she often had when she wanted to laugh but held it in. Ayame had seen that look often in those times she had spent little time with her and her friends, sometimes in need of their help and other times spotting Kouga with them. She usually gave that look to the little fox demon when he'd done something or even that couple—the monk and the slayer—when they fought.
That smile made Ayame frown. She said nothing more as Kagome came closer to retrieve her clothing.
“How's your leg?” she asked.
Ayame contemplated lying, not wanting to look any weaker than she already did. “It's fine,” she lied.
“Liar,” Kagome replied casually as she eyed the leg, removing the makeshift bandage and tending to her.
Again, Ayame's eyes couldn't leave Kagome. She watched Kagome care for her leg and she felt overwhelmed once more.
Kagome smiled at her and Ayame knew instantly why Kouga loved that smile. What she didn't know was why she did.
xxx
Doing what could be done with limited resources, she cleaned the leg but this time—for lack of anything clean to wrap it in—she left it to breathe. She looked at Ayame and told her, “We'll have to keep it clean. You don't seem too bad, but even with your healing abilities... I just don't know about that thing's venom...”
Never being in a situation quite like this, Kagome was worried. Whenever one of her friends was hurt before she could run home and get medicines and she always had Kaede or Miroku or Sango to help her. This time she was alone and void of any modern medical supplies. It was a test. A really evil test the fates had sent her and she wasn't sure she was prepared for it.
“I'll be okay,” Ayame told her. Stubbornly, but not quite the stubborness that Kagome often battled with Inuyasha.
At least she wasn't trying to run on that leg already to go see Kouga. Kagome shook her head at the analogy... true, Ayame and Inuyasha had some similarities... their stubborn quality, their persistance, their complete devotion to people who clearly did not have their best interests at heart...
`Never mind. She's just Inuyasha with boobs,' Kagome thought idly and let out a snicker.
She caught Ayame's odd expression and she smiled at her. Suddenly she felt a little bit better, if Ayame really was like Inuyasha, then she would scrape through victoriously at the last possible moment.
 
Again, sorry for the long wait. Hope you enjoyed.
“You-- I could kill you. I mean it. I could rip your head off one-handed and drink from your brainstem.” - Spike (James Marsters) - Buffy the Vampire Slayer