InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ For the Love of a Child ❯ The Stranger ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 

The delicate etched glass doors of the Samurai Club, smoothly slide open allowing Kagome to leave the establishment.  The chilling wind surprises her and she tightly, pulls her jacket around her body for warmth.  Leaning back against the cool brick wall of the building Kagome begins rubbing her head while taking deep calming breaths, in hopes of calming the growing pain caused by the hated man she had just seen inside the establishment.

 

(Why isn’t this working,) she thought still rubbing?  (The pain isn’t going away like it usually does.  Instead, it keeps getting stronger and stronger.  Did Houjo really get me that upset?)  Kagome looks around her.  (I’ve got to find me a place to sit soon, otherwise I’m afraid I’ll going to pass out.  If I do I’m sure I’ll wake up in the hospital somewhere.)  Still rubbing her head, the young woman pushes against the wall to walk slowly down the sidewalk until she comes upon a dark alley where there are steps to the side, leading up into a building.  Kagome sits on the steps and closes her eyes waiting for the pain to subsided.  It finally eases a little and she opens her eyes.  I’ve got to get home where I can lay down.  She begins rummaging around in her purse, finding she had left her wallet at home.  “Oh no, I couldn’t have!”  Digging even further in her purse she finally manages to find two coins.

 

(Awe, you’ve got to be kidding me,) she thought looking surprised at the coins in her hand?!  (Is this it?  Just two lousy quarters?  I thought I’d find more than that.  Well, this certainly isn’t enough to get me home.)  She looks out at the sidewalk and frowns.  (I won’t go ask Houjo for cab fare.  He’d probably say I’d have to sleep with him to get it.  I’m not even married to the creep.  Trying to use me… to disrespect his wife no less.  I mean it’s just despicable.  I just can’t believe, how nasty and cruel that pervert can truly be.  He’s so, callous he’d use his own, son as a bargaining chip just to… to try and get me to sleep with him.  Well, to me that’s low, really, really low even from a worm’s point of view.  Men are just worthless.  They aren’t worth all the trouble and heartaches they cause.)

 

“Right Lisa?”  Kagome sadly smiles as she looks up toward the stars.  (You know I love Souta, right?  He means everything to me, and I’d never think of giving him up to anyone.  But honestly Lisa, you could have done a lot better than that…that creep back there.  Sure, I’ll admit Houjo’s good looking, but that’s all he really is… a pretty face with a heart of pure evil.  That is if he has a heart at all.  I simply can’t see anything, Lisa, not one single thing, in him, worth even a moment of your time.  He’s an unconscionable lecher pure and simple!  And he’s never ever going to change.

 

I wish we’d left town, Lisa, when you first got pregnant.  We could have gone somewhere, anywhere, where no one would know us.  I think everything would have been a lot better for us if we had.  We’d, move to America where like we planned, made a fresh start for ourselves.  You’d still be alive today, Lisa, we would have been happy.  And Houjo would have become a very distant memory to us.  You and Souta would be together.  We’d both be raising him.  If only…)  The young woman slightly shivers.  (Seems it’s getting just a little too cool out here for me so I’d better get going before I end up freezing to death.  We’ll talk later, ok?)

 

Kagome slowly stands, brushing the back of her dress.  She turns to go when she’s startled by a strange sound from behind, much like a groan, as if someone was in pain.  She quickly turns and looks toward the darkness of the alley.

 

“He…hellooooo?” she tentatively calls, narrowing her eyes to look into the darkness.  “Is someone back there?”  Another groan is heard and the young woman timidly walks in the direction of the sound.  “You…you need help?”  She notices something unusual, something shining in the moonlight.  “If…if you’re hurt, tell me.  I’ll call an ambulance for you.”  Hearing no answer Kagome, using her feet pushes the empty cans, broken glass, and papers, from her path, in order to venture toward the shiny object.  “Hey!  You are still alive back here, aren’t you?  Say something.”  A louder groan is heard and she quickens her steps.  “I’m coming.  I’ll help you!”  Quickly walking closer to the shiny object, the young woman, not paying attention, almost trips over a pair of legs, attached to a long lean body lying unconscious on the garbage filled ground.  Kagome regains her footing, and kneels down to slightly nudge the still body.  “Here I am.  I’m here to help you.”  She nudges him again.  “You’re not dead, are you?”

 

The young man painfully groans while slowly opening bright yet glassy amber eyes.  Even in darkness, there’s a strange mystical glow to them.  Kagome finding herself captured by their beauty, shyly smiles.

 

“Uh, hey!  What cha doing?  It’s not a very safe place to sleep you know.”

 

The man smiles.  “K…KiKyo?  You…you’re still here?” he whispers quickly reaching out and grabbing the young woman’s hand.  “I’m so glad you didn’t leave me.”

 

“Hey!” says Kagome worriedly trying to pull her hand back.  “You wanna let go of me?”

 

The strange man tightens his hold.  “I was… so worried you’d...left.”

 

“I said let go,” says Kagome, tugging harder.

 

“For…give me… KiKyo,” whispers the stranger hoarsely.

 

The young woman stills.  “KiKyo?” 

 

“Don’t go…please?”

 

Kagome covers her nose as a strange odor reaches her.  “Man, how much did you drink tonight?”

 

“Never thought…I didn’t mean what...  Didn’t want …you to…go.” 

 

“Hey.  I’m not KiKyo, ok?  So let go already!”  The stranger’s hand heavily drops to his chest as his eyes close.

 

Suddenly released, Kagome quickly backs away from the strong odor.  “Phew!  About time.” she whispers standing and looking down at the man.  “No sense in asking what’s wrong with you or what you been doing tonight.”  She again kneels beside the unconscious man’s body studying him, from head to foot.  You must have been drinking all night to get this drunk.  And from the look of you I’d say, you’ve been fighting as well.  There’s no one else here so I think your friends just decided to leave here alone like this.”  The young woman looks around at her surroundings.  “They could have at least found you a better place to sleep it off in.  There’s nothing but trash here and it reeks.  It’s a wonder the rats and dogs haven’t already tried making a meal out of you.”  Kagome turns to the strange man.  “You should go home, where you’d be safe.  But since you not in the best condition to make it home on your own, guess I should at least try get you there somehow.  But first I’ve gotta find out who you are and where you belong.”  She begins searching through his pockets for his wallet.  “I’m not trying to steal anything, you see.  Just looking for some form of ID to tell me who you are and where you live.  Can’t send you anywhere if I don’t know where you came from, now can I?”  After looking in the last of his pockets, she sits back and sighs in defeat.  “Nothing.  You probably were mugged, my friend.”  A sad pitying look enters her eyes.  “Poor guy.  Your luck is probably the same as mine.  I mean those guys must have completely cleaned you out tonight.  No wallet, no license or and form of ID, not a single dime to your name.  I wonder if all this was really worth it to you.”  Kagome again looks around and then back toward the unconscious body lying before her.  “Well, I guess there’s no helping it, is there?  There’s nothing around here but trash and it stinks.  And you’ve managed to get yourself beat up pretty badly.”  Taking his arm, Kagome pulls, attempting to lift him.  “I won’t be able to sleep if I just left you alone like this.  I’d be too worried.  Let’s find you a much safer for you to sleep it off in ok?”  Struggle to get the strange man on his feet soon becomes a bit of a challenge for Kagome.  She tugs on his arm harder “You’re, kind of hea...vy, you know.  Can’t…you at least help me… out here just a…a little bit?”  The stranger gives a loud moan in response.  “Oh, yeah?  Well don’t go looking for any sympathy from me buddy.  If you end up with a huge hangover in the morning, it’ll be your own fault.”

 

Kagome, finally managing to lift and drape the drunken stranger over her slim shoulder and slowly drags him from the alley.  (Now that I’ve got him out of there, wonder what I should do with him now,) she thought looking around?  (The guy has no money …no credit cards or ID either and leaving him here on the sidewalk is out of the question.)  She continues dragging him.  (There’s no telling what would happen to him.  The guy could be arrested for vagrancy or something worse.)  Kagome gives a deep sigh.  (Man.  There’s no place I can think of where this guy will be safe and I can’t very well leave him alone out here.  I could just take him to my place, I guess…let him sleep it off there.  There shouldn’t be any problem taking him home with me.  The guy’s so drunk he won’t know anything until he wakes up in the morning.  After which, I’ll just send him home.) 

 

Kagome, breathing heavily, continues dragging the stranger, who seems to be getting heavier and heavier as she makes her way down the city sidewalk.  (Man.  I hope I don’t have to drag this guy too much further.  It’s taking the breath out of me carrying him this far.  How will I ever get him up three flights of stairs like this?  I wonder if Miroku’s home.  He’s strong and I’m sure he’ll help me carry this guy up.)  Struggling with her drunken stranger, Kagome looks around, noticing the people passing them are giving a wide berth while looking the other way as if they don’t see her.  She frowns.  (What is wrong with these people?  Can’t they see I’m having trouble here?  Someone should at least, stop and offer to help me?  Yet everybody is just walking around me, like I’m invisible, acting as if I have some strange disease or something.  I mean geez people!  Haven’t you ever seen a drunken man before?)

 

Finally finding a pay phone, Kagome sighs in relief.  She drops her stranger down, against the wall, digs out a quarter from her purse and goes to call a cab and her friends.

 

“Hello?” answers a strong sounding feminine voice.

 

“Sango?”

 

“Kagome?”

 

“Yeah, it’s me.”

 

“What’s wrong?  Your meetings usually last longer than this.  Why are you calling so early?”

 

“I’m afraid it didn’t go so well Sango so I decided to leave early tonight.”

 

“No go, huh?”

 

“Nope  No matter how much I begged he just refuses to help me.  How’s Souta?”

 

“He’s fine.  Complained about his chest hurting him earlier though.”

 

“He did?  How bad was it?” asks Kagome alarmed.  “How long did it last?  Have you called his doctor yet?”

 

“Calm down, Kagome,” says Sango, “He’s just fine.  Souta told us his ticker was hurting and after a while said it stopped, ok?  He’s sleeping.”

 

“Thank goodness,” says Kagome relieved.  “Hopefully Souta will sleep the rest of the night.  But I’ll still check on him when I get home to make sure he’s doing alright.  Is Miroku there, by any chance?”

 

“Sure, he’s here.  Want to talk to him?”

 

“No time, I’m afraid.  Cab should be here any minute now.  I accidently left my wallet at home so; would you please tell Miroku I’ll need cab fare once I get there?  And tell him I’m bringing someone with me so I’ll need his help to get him up the stairs.”

 

“You didn’t pick up another one, did you?” ask Sango worriedly.

 

“Yep.”

 

“Why?  After what happened before, you really shouldn’t be picking up anymore strays to bring home.  It’s just too dangerous for you.”

 

“He’s drunk Sango.  He’s been badly beaten and needs help.”

 

“Then call an ambulance or a hospital.”

 

“I can’t.  His wallet’s missing and he has no money.  And without some form of Id, you know no hospital will take him in.”

 

“Then just leave him there.  Let someone else take responsibility for him.”

 

“I don’t think anyone will though.”

 

“That doesn’t mean you have to do it.”

 

“Just tell Miroku, for me, ok?” says Kagome, impatiently.

 

Sango gives a deep sigh.  “Alright, I’ll let him know.  But you be careful coming home, ok?  Don’t take any more chances tonight.”

 

“I won’t.  See you guys in a few.”  The young woman hangs up the phone, and walks back to her stranger kneeling down for a closer look.

 

He looks to be six feet tall, wearing faded denim jeans and a red tee shirt with a faded logo on the front.  He has slightly pale smooth skin with handsome features, long thick silver white hair is cascading around his shoulders and there are two triangular shaped ears on top his head, lying slightly down.

 

(A demon,) thought Kagome surprised?  (Here?  Can’t be.  Not in this part of town at least.  It’s got to be a costume of some sort.)  Kagome timidly reaches to gently tug and rub one of his ears, finding they won’t come off.  (Nope.  They’re real, alright.  And so soft.  I wonder what happened to him in that alley back there.  Who hurt him and why?)  The stranger slightly moves his head attempting to rub his face against her hand.  Kagome giggles and smiles for she could almost swear she could hear him purr. 

 

“Your hand… is really soft KiKyo,” he groans.  “You smell… really nice.”

 

“You’re a strange one, that’s for sure,” smiles Kagome.  “But who’s this KiKyo person you keep mumbling about?  Is she your girlfriend or maybe your wife?  Why didn’t you call her to come after you?  Not that it’s any of my business mind you but…well I don’t know.  There’s just something about you.  It’s like I’ve known you forever but I know we’ve never met before.  Maybe I’m more tired than I thought and I just think I know you.”  A cold chill runs down her arms and she, rubs them.  “Oh, where is that cab already?’”

 

Fifteen minutes later a white car with taxi written on the side door stops in front of Kagome.  The window is rolled down.

 

“You called for a cab, lady?” yells the burly man inside.

 

“Yes, I did,” replies Kagome relieved.  She stands and waves toward her stranger.  “Could you please help me here?  My friend’s a little too heavy for me to carry.”

 

“Sure thing,” he answers and steps out of his cab to walk toward the young woman.  “Anything for a lady.”

 

The cab driver is short and round in stature and wears a short beard on his face.  His clothes are slightly big, for him, and he smells as if he hasn’t had a bath in weeks.  Sticking from his mouth is an unlit short, fat, cigar, which he holds loosely between his teeth.

 

“Um, thanks,” Kagome replies hesitantly and she takes a step back.

 

“Don’t mention it.”  The driver turns to look at Kagome’s stranger.  “Your friend here seems to be drunk lady.  Probably partying too much, tonight huh?”

 

“It seems that way,” replies Kagome uneasily.  “You need help lifting him?”

 

“Nope, I got it.”  The driver leans down and grabs the stranger’s arm.  “Come on buddy.”  He easily picks the silver haired stranger up draping him over his shoulder and drags him to his cab.  “Time we got you home.”

 

“Please be careful with him,” says Kagome worriedly.

 

“Oh, don’t worry lady.”  Kagome slightly cringes when the driver throws her stranger, unceremoniously, in the back seat of his cab.  “I’ve handled lots of these guys tonight.”  He turns while dusting his hands.  “Too bad they don’t know when to push away from the bar.  The drink makes them act like bastards.  But I know how to handle him well enough so he’ll behave.” 

 

“I see.”

 

“Probably won’t even remember what happened to him tonight.”  The driver walks closer to Kagome and chewing on his cigar, gives a long appreciative stare.  “Say now… you gotta nice rack on ya, lady,” he says slowly nodding.  “A nice ass too.” 

 

The young woman again feeling the strange chills run over her body, from his perusal, quickly takes another step back.  “Um, thank you?” replies Kagome a little alarmed.

 

“That guy’s sure got good taste; I’ll say that much for ‘im.”  The driver walks closer to the young woman with a suggestive smile.  “Yep.  Real good taste.  Though I really don’t think he should be leaving such a pretty young thing, like you, all alone, out here on the streets like this.  Too many vermin skulking around who might want to take ya home with them.”

 

“I’m, uh.  I’m not alone.”

 

“No?”

 

“No…of course not.”  Kagome looks from side to side for an escape should she need one.  She offers a shaky smile while pointing toward the back of the cab where her stranger is.  “My friend… he’s right here with me.”

 

“I’ll say,” sneers the driver looking back toward his cab, “out like a light, and unable to protect ya should ya need protecting, that is.”  The driver strokes his short beard.  “Ya know, lady, I’ve been sort of lonely tonight myself.”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“Yep.  I sure am lonely.  Got another four long hours to go before the bars let out and your company would sure go a long way in killing the boredom.  So, um…why not sit up front with me and we’ll ride around a bit?”

 

“Thanks but…well, if you don’t mind, I’ll just sit, in the back with my friend,” says the young woman, politely slightly backing away.  “He doesn’t seem to be feeling very well right now.”

 

The driver again looks toward the back of his cab and smiles.  “If you don’t mind my sayin’, lady, your friend there, ain’t gonna feel so good later either.”  The young man, in the back seat, gives another groan of pain.  “Nope, don’t sound like he’ll be feeling good for quite some time.”

 

“Oh, I think he’ll feel much better once he sleeps it off.”

 

“Don’t think so, lady.  That guy’s gonna end up having one hell of a hangover come morning.  And they can be a bitch.  Sort of feel sorry for the bastard.”  The driver turns toward Kagome and smiles.  “So, what do ya say lady?  Let’s let the guy sleep it off back there while you and me get real friendly like, up front.”

 

“As tempting as your offer seems sir… I really don’t think I should accept.  I really should stay close, to him,” Kagome begins to slowly walk backwards toward the cab, “in…in case he needs me, you see.”  She quickly climbs in the back with her stranger.

 

The driver shrugs his shoulders.  “Suit yourself lady.  But I think you’d be much more comfortable up front with me.  That dude could throw up on ya, getting your nice clean clothes all dirty like back there.”

 

“Thanks for your concern but I’ll be fine.  So can we leave now?”

 

The driver shakes his head, climbs in behind the steering wheel and adjusts his mirror so he could see Kagome.  “So where to lady?”

 

“Madison Towers on Taylor Street.”

 

“Madison Towers, huh?  Interestin’ place.  Didn’t know princesses like you were living in that part of town.  So, uh…tell me.  What’s your fee?”

 

“Fee?”

 

“Yeah.  What’s the guy paying for ya?”

 

“Oh, it’s not that kind of arrangement.  I’m just helping him out.  He doesn’t need to pay me anything.”

 

“No fee huh?  Lucky bastard.”  The driver pulls the arm on the machine, and proceeds to drive to her destination.  After a short while of silence, he looks back by way of his rear-view mirror.  “So ya got a name lady?”

 

“Why?” asks Kagome concerned.

 

“Just trying to be friendly, is all.  As I said, before, it’s been quite lonely tonight.  A bit of conversation with such a pretty lady as you can go a long way.”

 

“I see.”

 

Finally, after a long silent, uncomfortable drive, the cab finally comes to a stop in front of three large slightly unkempt buildings.  “Here ya go lady!  Madison Towers.”  The driver looks back at his passengers.  “That’ll be $17.50.”

 

“$17.50?” replies Kagome looking surprised.

 

“Yep!  Gotta problem with that?”

 

“I don’t understand.  Last week the trip only cost me $12.25.  Why the sudden increase?”

 

“Who knows?” replies the driver shrugging his shoulders.  “The extra passenger… or inflation maybe?”

 

“I see.  Well, at least help me get my friend to the doors.”

 

“This ain’t no ambulance service, lady.  I’ve got other fares out there waiting for me,” says the driver rather surly.  “So pay up.”

 

“I don’t have any money on me,” says the woman worriedly.  “I’ve got to go see a friend of mine to get it.”

 

“Can’t pay up, huh?  Well that is a shame.”  The driver reaches back to lightly rub Kagome’s thigh causing her to tense up.  “I really would hate to have to report you for stiffing me.  But hey, who wants to go through all that shit?”

 

“I’m not trying to stiff you sir.  I really do have a friend who will pay you.  I just have to go see him, that’s all.”

 

“Uh huh, sure you do,” the driver says disbelievingly.  “Look.  There’s no need to bother anyone else about this.  I’m a reasonable guy and you seem like a really nice lady.  So what say me and you just dump this guy here and go somewhere a little more, quiet like so we can get better acquainted.  I should have enough to pay ya.”

 

“Pay me for what?”

 

“For your…”

 

“Having trouble, Kagome?” asks a male’s stern voice from outside the cab. 

 

(Shit!)  The driver quickly removes his hand from Kagome’s legs.

 

Kagome gives a deep a sigh of relief.  “Miroku.  I need $17.50.  Would you let me borrow it?  I’ll pay you back once I get inside.”

 

“$17.50 huh?” asks Miroku curiously pulling his wallet from his back pocket.  “Are you sure that’s the right amount, Kagome?  Seems to me last time it was only $12.00.”

 

“I know.  But it’s what he says I owe him,” replies Kagome pulling the stranger from the back.  “So will you let me borrow it?”

 

“What restaurant did you go to tonight?” asks Miroku searching his wallet.  He then looks inside the cab.

 

“The Samauri Club,” replies Kagome with a nod.  “It’s the same restaurant I always go to.  I have no idea why it’s costing so much this time.”

 

“I see.”  Miroku turns toward the cab driver and gives him some money.  “I believe this should cover it.”

 

Seeing his payment, the driver angrily looks up at the young man.  “What’s this shit mister?!”

 

“I believe it’s what this young lady owes you.”

 

“But the fare’s is $17.50.  There’s only 12 bucks here.  You still owe me five dollars and fifty cents.”

 

The young man frowns.  “No, I don’t believe I do.  Your meter there only says 12.”

 

“It’s $17.50.”

 

“And you now have $12.00.”

 

“Something wrong with your ears, bastard?  I said it’s $17.50!  Now fork over the other five!”

 

“I’ve already given you $12.00.”

 

“It’s $17.50 damn it!  $17.50!!  What the matter with ya?  Don’t speak Japanese?”

 

The young man gives a heavy sigh and looks up at the driver with anger in his eyes.  “My Japanese is just fine sir.  However, I do have a problem with you not only overcharging this young lady here but also attempting to take advantage of her as well.”

 

“Advantage?!”  The driver becomes flustered.  “I… I was doing no such thing.  I was just…”

 

“Taking advantage,” replies Miroku calmly.  “Now you have your money sir, so, I suggest you take it and leave.”

 

“Or what?” asks the driver challengingly.

 

“Or I shall be forced to report your actions to your employer,” replies Miroku calmly, “and I will make known, the fact, you attempted to take the payment ‘in trade.’  I’m quite sure your employer will understand what that means.”

 

“You…!”  The driver quickly leaves his cab, his features baring a worried, angry expression, his hands fisted at his side as he looks up at the man.  “You do that, you bastard I’ll have you arrested for slander.”

 

“Sir.  If you would look around you’ll see there is only one other witness here and I don’t believe she will back you up on such a charge.”

 

The driver looks over at Kagome who is looking at the ground.  He looks up at the man, pursing his lips as he become angrier.  “Now you listen here you son of a bitch.  I don’t know who the hell you think you are or what your relationship with this… person is.  But I’m just a lowly cab driver who has to make a living out here in this god forsaken part of town.” 

 

“I know.”  The man named Miroku crosses his arms over his chest as his frown deepens.  “So?”

 

“So, you can’t just go around spouting accusations like that, ok?” continues the driver.  “You don’t even know me.  Besides what’s your deal with this bitch anyway?  You her pimp or something?  Trying to up her price?”

 

“I beg your pardon?”

 

“Oh, you can’t fool me with that high and mighty attitude of yours.  I know exactly what you are.  And anyone with eyes can see what kind of a bitch this is.  Wearing those clothes… living in this part of town…  She’s a fucking prostitute, pure and simple.” 

 

“What?!” yells Kagome surprised.

The driver receives a solid blow to his chin, for his unfounded remarks, causing him to fall back hard against his cab, then sliding down onto the pavement, dropping the $12.00 in his hand.  Miroku calmly leans over to pick up the money placing it back into his wallet. 

 

“Hey!” the driver yells rubbing his chin while struggling to his feet.  “What the fuck do you think you’re doing?  That money’s mine!”

 

“And now it’s mine,” replies Miroku calmly placing the wallet in his back pocket.  “I believe you owe this young lady an apology.”

 

“What apology?”

 

“Oh I see,” says Miroku with anger shining brighter in his eyes.  “Then since an apology doesn’t seem to be forthcoming, I suggest you get back into that cab of yours and leave before you piss me off any further.  And I can assure you sir…that’s the one thing you really don’t want to happen.”

 

“Crazy fucking lunatic,” mumbles the driver getting back into his cab.  “Don’t want to fuck with me is all I got to say for im’.”  He looks back toward Kagome.  “This ain’t over, bitch!  You ain’t heard the last of this!”  Miroku angrily brings his fist down hard on the trunk of the cab.  Frightened, the driver quickly puts the car in gear, revs the engine and races away.

 

“Thanks, Miroku,” says Kagome, gratefully.

 

“I hate that sort,” replies Miroku, disgustingly watching the cab quickly turn the corner.  “Always taking advantage of unsuspecting women.  It’s disgraceful.”  Miroku turns to the young woman and smiles.  “So Kagome …what did you bring home this time?”

 

Kagome looks down at her stranger, still sprawled out on the ground.  “I found him in an alley.”

 

“That’s a demon, isn’t it?” asks Miroku surprised, looking down at the stranger.

 

“I guess so,” replies the young woman with a slight shrug.  “He’s out cold.”

 

“I can see that.  And you found him downtown?” 

 

“Um hm,” the young woman nods.  “In an alley.  Kind of weird huh?’

 

“I’d say.  Demons are supposed to keep to their own territories.  They could get into trouble if they’re found roaming around in that part of town.”

 

“From the looks of him, Miroku, I’d say trouble went looking for him.”

 

“Yeah.  A lot of trouble at that.”  Miroku turns to the woman.  “Look Kagome, I don’t want to tell you what to do or anything but perhaps it’d be best if you just take him back where you found him.”

 

“What?!” asks Kagome surprised.  “I can’t do that!”

 

“Why not?  Demons are very unpredictable creatures,” says Miroku waving a hand toward Kagome’s stranger.  “They’re dangerous and have been known to turn on humans.  I mean …well look at him Kagome.  That there is a bona-fide demon!”

 

“A demon he may be, Miroku but he’s still a living, breathing being, the gods saw fit to put on this earth!” exclaims Kagome angrily.  “I couldn’t just abandon him out there anymore than I could abandon you or Sango.  The guy didn’t have a chance out there on his own.  He…well he could have gotten killed in that alley tonight!  Especially while he’s in that condition!” 

 

“Alright, alright, calm down,” says Miroku worriedly.

 

“Huh?” asks Kagome curiously.

 

“It wasn’t my intention to upset you Kagome.  I was just worried about…well you and this situation.”

 

“Why should my being upset worry you?  I’m not going to turn into a monster.”

 

“No but your headaches,” Miroku replies.  “You know getting upset like this they’re sure to start up again.”

 

“Oh.  I guess you’re right.”  The young woman sighs.  “I’m sorry Miroku.  For snapping at you like that.  It’s just…well with Houjo being such a jerk and finding this guy like this and then the cab driver…it all just got to me.”  Kagome turns her attention back to her stranger.  “But you know.  As bad as my night was, I think it was probably a lot better than what his was.”

 

“He does look pretty banged up,” says Miroku with a nod.  “No Id, huh?”

 

Kagome shakes her head.  “None I could find.  There wasn’t a wallet or anything to tell me who he is.”

 

“Hmm,” replies Miroku with a thoughtful frown.  “I see.”

 

“He may not have anyone, Miroku, and is all alone in this world,” continues Kagome sympathetically.  “Those guys… they took all his money; probably everything he owns.  I couldn’t just leave him back there like that.  He needed help.”

 

“Kagome.”

 

“And it was probably humans who attacked him tonight.  I had to help him.  Kagome sadly looks up at Miroku “You do…understand, right?”

 

The young man slowly shakes his head smiles.  “What are we going to do with you, young lady?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

Miroku shakes a finger at the concerned young woman.  “I mean, one of these days, you’re going to get yourself into a lot of trouble, being an unguarded angel, out there.”

 

“Oh, I don’t know about being unguarded, exactly,” replies the young woman giving a tired smile.  “As long as I have friends, like you and Sango, I’ll be ok!”

 

“Let’s just hope so.  Sango and I would really hate to lose you.  Now…”  Miroku leans down taking the arm of the unconscious man placing it around his shoulder.  “Souta’s been asking for you, so we should be getting you and your ‘friend’, here, inside.”

 

“Souta’s awake?” asks Kagome worriedly.  “Sango told me he was asleep.  Is everything all right?”

 

“Yeah.  Souta just had a nightmare and wants you to sing him to sleep.”  Miroku gives a slight laugh.  “Seems he doesn’t like my voice too much.”

 

The two, struggle to get the stranger up three flights of stairs to Kagome’s apartment.  Sango opens the door, leans against the frame and grins.  “Another one, Kagome?”

 

Kagome grins.  “Yep, they just can’t seem to leave me alone these days.”  She hands the stranger over to the other woman.  “Put him on the couch guys while I go check on Souta and then I’ll go change into something more comfortable.”

 

Kagome leaves the two to deal with the stranger while she walks to the child’s bedroom, slightly cracking the door open.  “Hey sweetie,” she whispers.  “You awake?”

 

“Is that you, Kagome?” says a small sleepy voice.

 

“Yep, it’s me.”  She opens the door wider and walks in.  “I hear you’ve had another nightmare.”  Kagome sits on the edge of the bed, reaches to push the child’s hair aside.  “Want to talk about it?”

 

The small three-year-old slightly nods.  “Same one,” he replies quietly.  “I was all alone in this big dark place and no one would come for me.  I couldn’t find anyone, Kagome.  I yelled and yelled, but I was always alone.”

 

“Hey you.”  Kagome gently brushes the tears from his frightened eyes.  “I’m here, aren’t I?”

 

“Yeah but,” replies the sad child.

 

Kagome pulls the young child against her chest and runs her fingers through his hair.  “Let me tell you something Souta.  Around here, you’re never really alone.  In this one building alone, you have your own little fan club.  You’ll always have me, and Sango and Miroku are always hanging around.  And don’t forget, there’s Miss Kaede right down the hall.”

 

“Then where were they, huh?” asks the child worriedly.  “Why wouldn’t they come for me?”

 

“Well, it could be you weren’t looking for them hard enough,” responds Kagome with a smile.  “I mean if you don’t look for something, you’re sure to never find it.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“You’ll always be safe here, Souta.  Whenever you feel frightened or need us, all you have to do is start yelling, and one of us will come running to protect you.”

 

“Will you always be here for me, Kagome?”

 

“Uh huh,” replies Kagome with a nod.  “Always.”

 

“Promise?”

 

“You bet.  Through thick or thin, we’ll always be together.”

 

“Pinky swear?” asks the child raising his small hand.

 

Kagome wraps her pinky around his small one and smiles.  “Pinky swear.  You’re stuck with me pal, ok?  I’ll never abandon you, Souta.  Not now…not ever.  Now…I also heard your ticker was hurting you earlier.  What’s it doing now?”  She playfully pokes his chest, causing him to squirm and giggle.  “Is it still tic, tic, ticking in there?”

 

“Yep.  Still ticking.”  Souta proudly opens his shirt.  “Wanna listen?”

 

Kagome nods and leans down to hear the rhythm of his heart.  Satisfied it has a strong beat, she again nods her head.  “Yep, it’s still in there, alright.”  She begins buttoning his shirt.  “Think you can go back to sleep now sweetie?”

 

“Uh huh,” the young child nods.  “If you sing to me.”

 

“Still the old blackmailer, huh?” says Kagome giving a slight laugh.

 

The child slightly blushes.  “Well uncle Roku don’t sing so good.”

 

“I see.  Guess that just leaves me then.  You want the usual?”

 

“Uh huh,” says the boy, nodding his head.  Kagome hums while placing the blanket around him.  Then the words begin, gently, falling from her lips. <i>

 

“Will the sun continue to shine?

 

Not without you.

 

Will the moon control the tides?

 

Not without you.

 

When I wake up each and every morning,

 

…will my heart begin to sing?

 

Not without you, no,

 

Not without you.”</i>

 

Kagome repeats the verse, over and over, until she hears the soft breathing of her charge then leans over to kiss the small child’s head.  Sure, Souta is warm and comfortable she slowly rises to quietly leave the room.

 

“I love you, mama,” whispers the child, turning to his side.

 

Kagome’s breath hitches in her chest and she smiles.  “I love you too, sweetie,” she replies quietly.  “So very, very, much.”  Kagome quietly closes the door, behind her, only leaving it open a small crack.  She makes her way across the hall to her room.  Once inside, she walks to and falls back on the large queen-sized bed and looks up at the ceiling while giving a big sigh.  “Did you hear that, Lisa?  Souta called me mama.  Such a wonderful name that is, don’t you think?  Didn’t think I would ever hear him call me that.”  Kagome closes her eyes to pray. 

 

“Oh please.  Just one more day.  Allow me one more day to care for that sweet little boy in there.”  Kagome then quickly rises to change her clothing.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

In the living room Sango and Miroku are both closely watching the stranger passed out on Kagome’s couch.

 

“What do you think Miroku?” asks Sango.

 

“About what?” Miroku replies.

 

Sango points at the stranger.  “That demon.  Do you think Kagome will be safe with him here?”

 

“He’s pretty drunk Sango, so I don’t see him waking up anytime soon so she’ll be safe.”

 

“What about his pockets?  You did check them, didn’t you?”

 

“For what?”

 

“What do you mean for what?  For alcohol of course.”

 

“Sango.  The man’s wearing jeans.  Do you honestly think he could put a bottle in one of his pockets without someone noticing it?  And Kagome told me earlier she checked his pockets before bringing him home with her.”

 

“Well, I don’t trust him.  He looks way too sneaky.  What if he should wake up during the night, when we’re not here, huh?  The same thing could happen like last time.”

 

“Sango my love, we live just down the hall.  If he should wake up and try anything we’ll run back here and throw him out just like we did with the other one.  But I honestly don’t think we have anything to worry about where this one’s concerned.  He’s way too drunk to do anything right now.  He’ll be lucky if he wakes up by tomorrow afternoon and he won’t be feeling too well then either.  So, how about making some coffee?”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Slowly he opens his eyes to take in his surroundings.  Not recognizing the room and hearing no music the strange man sniffs and sniffs again, searching for the familiar scent of alcohol.  Instead, he senses another scent wafting in the air. 

 

(What the hell,) the stranger thought angrily?  (Where the fuck, am I?)  He suddenly rises up, resulting in a sharp pain coursing throughout his body.  “Damn it,” he groans, grabbing his head and falling back on the couch.  “How much did I, fucking, drink tonight?”

 

“Enough, it would seem,” replies an unfamiliar, amused sounding voice.

 

“Won’t wake up till tomorrow huh?” says a perturbed feminine voice.

 

The stranger slowly takes his hand from his eyes to find a strange man a little less than six feet, in height, a slim build with short black hair and dancing blue eyes smiling down at him.  “Just who, the fuck, are you?” he growls.

 

“I guess you could say I’m someone, who knows better than to drink and not have someone available to drive me home,” replies Miroku with a smirk.  “But it would seem some of us just aren’t as smart as I am.”

 

“Keh, yeah right,” the stranger replies with a smirk.  “Who the hell needs a fucking driver?”  A sharp painful sensation is again felt and the stranger slowly closes his eyes.  (What the hell is wrong with me?  Did these damn humans fucking drug me or something?)

 

Miroku shakes his head.  “Yeah, yeah, I’ve heard it all before my friend.”  He offers the stranger a cup of dark liquid.  “Here.”

 

“What’s that?” asks the stranger opening one eye to eye the cup suspiciously.  “Poison?”

 

“I assure you it’s just coffee.  After drinking this, you might feel a little better.”

 

The strange man sits up and takes the offered cup while still looking around him.  “What is this fucking place?  Sure ain’t the fucking bar.  So where in hell did you drag me to?”

 

“It’s not hell, I’m afraid,” replies Miroku.  “But considering the condition you’re in at the moment I believe you’ll wish to be there in the morning.  Seems you’ve really put one on tonight.”

 

“That doesn’t answer my fucking questions!” growls the stranger a little louder resulting in his head thumping harder.  “I wanna know where…!”  He again grabs his head.  “Shit!  What the fuck did you bastards do to me?!”

 

“Shh, keep it down, will ya?” cautions Miroku.  “You’re going to wake the whole neighborhood, yelling like that.”

 

“Well answer my damn questions and I just might consider doing that,” says the stranger angrily.  “What the fuck did you do to me?”

 

“Sir,” says Miroku looking a little peeved.  “I can assure you we are not responsible for your present and obviously uncomfortable condition.  So, I suggest you refrain from making such unfounded accusations at this time.”

 

“Listen you I...”  The angry stranger looks up and seeing the anger developing in the other man’s eyes, sighs.  “Oh alright.  I’m sorry.”

 

The man smiles.  “There that’s better.  My name’s Miroku Houshi and standing over there is my lovely wife, Sango.”

 

The stranger looks over finding a young angry woman about five seven, in height, with long dark brown hair.  She’s giving him a very suspicious look making the stranger feel a little more uncomfortable.

 

“You happen to be in our friend’s apartment,” continues the man.

 

“Your friend’s?”  The strange demon again smirks.  “Why did he have you bring me to this dump?  If he’s looking…”  The demon again grabs his head.  “Damn it!” he growls.  “This fucking headache…why the hell won’t it go away already?”

 

“Probably because you got banged up tonight as well, I should think,” replies Miroku.  “Our friend found you and brought you here.”

 

The stranger again takes in his surroundings.  “So, what’s he after…money?”

 

“Not very polite, is he?” asks Sango becoming angrier with the stranger.  “And he’s ungrateful too.”

 

“Now, now Sango dearest, we must be patient.  Waking up in a strange place, with people he doesn’t know, standing around, can be quite disconcerting.”

 

“Yeah, but you heard what he said, Miroku,” complains Sango, pointing at the stranger.  “He called this place a dump.”

 

“Yes, I heard.”  Miroku, feeling his patience for this strange visitor fading, takes a deep breath and sighs.  “You know my friend; you really should be grateful our friend came along when she did.”  The stranger shrugs his shoulders in indifference.  “Yes well, anyway,” says Miroku scratching his head, “Now that we’ve taken the time to introduce ourselves to you, why not be polite sir and tell us your name?”

 

“What the fuck?!” the stranger asks surprised.  “You’re telling me you dragged my ass all the way here without knowing who the hell I am?  Damn you’ve got balls, I’ll give you that.”

 

“It was not I but our friend who brought you here,” says Miroku, patience almost gone.  “I only helped carry you up the stairs.  Soooo…?”

 

The stranger looks up at Miroku, still looking quite confused.  “Soooo…what?”

 

Miroku again closes his eyes and takes another deep breath.  “So…”

 

“He asked what your damn name is, dumb ass,” says Sango angrily.

 

“Sango,” says Miroku with a short laugh and looking at his wife with surprise.  “That was a little uncalled for dear.”

 

“Well, that jackass won’t tell us his damn name, Miroku!”

 

(What did that bitch just call me,) thought the stranger surprised?  (Just who the hell does she think she’s dealing with here?)

 

“So?” says Miroku expectantly.

 

“Huh?  Oh …my name,” says the stranger.  (This will shut the bitch up.)  “It’s Takehashi,” he replies with a boastful look, and is surprised the couple didn’t seem to recognize the name.  “InuYasha…Takehashi?”  Still, the humans continue to look puzzled.  “Well, um… yeah…that’s my name.”  The stranger takes a sip of the coffee, after which his face takes on a disgusted look.  “Gods, this shit tastes nasty!”  He quickly sets the cup down and rubs his tongue over the bottom of his shirt.  “Can’t your bitch make a decent cup of coffee?”

 

“Listen you!” says Sango angrily.  “I didn’t have to…”

 

“Shush, Sango, the boy,” cautions Miroku nodding toward the hallway.  The angry woman clamps her mouth shut while crossing her arms, and continues glaring at the strange man.

 

Footsteps are heard coming from the hall and InuYasha looks up.  “Now what?”

 

“Sorry guys, but Souta was a little harder to get to sleep this time.”  Kagome, wallet in hand, pauses in the entrance to her living room and seeing the stranger is conscience, smiles.  “Oh, you’re awake already?  How are you feeling?”

 

“Like a mac truck just hit me and decided to run over me again,” replies InuYasha grumpily.

 

“I’m sorry to hear that,” says Kagome.  “I’m sure it’s painful.”

 

“Damn straight.  My damn head is thumping like some big ass drum.  Got a beer?”

 

“I’m sorry.  I don’t allow that sort of thing here,” replies Kagome.  “Didn’t you offer him any coffee, Sango?”

 

“I did, Kagome but your FRIEND there, doesn’t seem to like coffee,” replies Sango angrily.

 

“Only when it’s made right, bitch,” snarls InuYasha.

 

“What did you call me you…you reject from the pounds?” asks Sango angrily.

 

“Sango,” says Miroku trying hard not laugh at his wife, “You shouldn’t say such things, dear.”  (Though he really did deserve that one.)

 

“Well he started it!”

 

“And I’m stopping it,” says Kagome with a little anger in her voice.  She looks over at InuYasha.  “Listen you.  I didn’t bring you into my home just so you can insult my friends.”

 

“No one asked you to bring me here at all, bitch!”

 

“Alright, that’s it!” yells Sango rolling up her sleeves.

 

“What?  You want a piece of me bitch?!” growls InuYasha louder while starting to rise.  “Bring it…”  He falls back onto the couch, grabbing his head.  “Damn!  Damn!  Damn!”

 

“Serves you right,” says Kagome with a curt nod while walking into the room.  “You shouldn’t drink so much.”

 

“Please, you must calm yourself, Sango,” says Miroku patting his wife’s back.  Then he too angrily looks at the stranger.  “You might wake up the boy.”

 

“Yeah, yeah,” says Sango still glaring at the hanyou.  “Anyway, Kagome.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“We’d better be going home now.  Miroku’s got to get up early in the morning to go to work.”

 

“Oh, ok,” replies Kagome opening her wallet.  “So…what do I owe, you guys?”

 

“Don’t ask stupid questions,” says Miroku walking up to Kagome.  He kisses the young woman’s forehead while snapping her wallet shut.  “You know better than that!”

 

“Are you sure, Miroku?” asks Kagome worriedly.  “I’m sure I have enough and I still owe you for the cab.”

 

“I’m sure,” replies Miroku.

 

“But…”

 

“You heard what Miroku said, Kagome,” says Sango walking to her husband’s side.  “You keep that money for more important things, ok?”

 

“Well…ok,” replies Kagome with a small smile.  “Thanks.”

 

“We’re right down the hall if you should need us, all right?” says Miroku.

 

“Yeah,” replies Kagome and looks over to his wife.  “See you tomorrow, Sango?”

 

“As soon as Miroku gets off to work, I’ll be right over,” replies Sango with a smile.  Kagome shows the couple to the door and before closing it Sango grabs it and nods at InuYasha.  “I really don’t trust that one Kagome,” she whispers.  “He looks way too shady to me.  So, if he should get out of hand, yell.  I come back and teach him a thing or two.”

 

Kagome nods and smiles.  “Thanks Sango but I think I’ll be ok tonight.  So, sleep well you guys.”  She closes the door, and turns back to her visitor.  “Hungry?” she asks walking toward her kitchen.

 

“A little,” replies InuYasha suspiciously watching her.  “What cha got?”

 

“Not much, I’m afraid.”  She opens one of the cabinet doors.  “I haven’t had the chance to go shopping this week.  I do have a few packages of ramen though.  Will that do?”

 

“If it will get this damn pain to go away, sure,” replies the hanyou rubbing his head.  “So where did you find me anyway?”

 

“In an alley,” replies Kagome reaching down to pull a pan from the cabinet.  “…about a block or two from the Samurai Club.”  She fills the pan with water and places it on the stove.  “You were beaten up pretty badly when I found you.  Though your injuries seem to be healing nicely.  That’s normal isn’t it… for a demon?” she asks curiously.

 

“I’m only half,” replies InuYasha looking around the room while patting his breast pocket.  “Ya got a phone around here I can use?  Seems my cell is missing so I’ll need yours to call my brother to come get me.”

 

Kagome gives a small laugh.  “You don’t drive?  I thought everyone drove these days.”

 

“I’m not much for drinking and driving,” replies InuYasha.  “It seems you humans, frown on us doing such things.”

 

“I see,” says Kagome.  “I frown on anyone doing it actually, human or demon.  Don’t drink…and drive.  People stay safer that way.”

 

“Yeah well…seems my car keys and wallet are gone anyway.”

 

“I looked through your pockets earlier.  Didn’t find anything, so I guess whoever beat you up took everything you had.”

 

“Sure, you didn’t take a thing or two while you were searching?”

 

“I’ll have you know I’m not a thief,” says Kagome angrily.  “I was just trying to find out who you are, so I could make sure you got home alright.”

 

“Oh,” replies the stranger guiltily.  “I’m sorry.”

 

“Apology accepted,” she replies with a nod.  “As for the phone…I have one but I’m afraid it won’t be working till sometime next week.  The lines are being serviced again.”

 

“I see.  Think your husband will mind giving me a ride home?  I’ll pay you for your time and gas of course…once I get there.”

 

“Oh I’m not married,” says Kagome watching the pot on the stove.

 

“Not married?”

 

“That’s right.”

 

“Why not… can’t cook?”

 

“I can cook.  I just don’t want a husband.”

 

InuYasha gives a questioning look.  “But that man, Miroku…I know I heard him say something about a boy.”

 

Kagome’s eyes soften.  “Oh, that would be my son Souta.”

 

“He has a father, doesn’t he?”

 

“He does, but I don’t like talking about him,” replies Kagome a little tersely.  “It’s just me and Souta here.  I take care of him.  Though Miroku and Sango do, help out whenever I have to go anywhere.  Can’t find many friends like them anymore, who are willing to give up their time like that.”  She takes a bowl of hot ramen and hands it to her visitor.  “Here you go.”

 

“Thanks,” says InuYasha taking the offered bowl.  “So let me get this straight.  You have a son but no husband?”

 

“That’s right,” replies Kagome smiling.

 

“I see.”  He eats some of the ramen.  “Guess it’s no wonder you live in such a dump then, seeing as it’s just you and the boy living here.”

 

“Hey.”  A frown graces the young woman’s forehead.  “What gives you the right to be so rude?  This place is dry and clean and…”

 

“I didn’t mean anything…”

 

“I could have just left you back, in that alley you know,” continues Kagome.

 

“I don’t need help from you humans,” says InuYasha angrily.  “You got that?!  I’ve done just fine without them so far!”  He again grabs his head and closes his eyes.

 

“Uh, huh,” says Kagome, the smile returning to her face.  “And look where it’s got you.  Mugged and a headache to boot.”

 

“I think I’d better leave.”  InuYasha sets the empty bowl down on the table and stands.  “I won’t stick around where I’m not wanted.”  The young half demon becomes dizzy, grabbing his head and falling back onto the couch.  “Damn it!” he growls.  “Who’s moving the fucking floor?!”

 

Kagome gives a slight giggle, smiles and shakes her head.  “You’re still too under to go anywhere tonight, I’m afraid.”  She walks to the closet and pulls out a couple of blankets and a pillow, throwing them at InuYasha’s feet.  “So you may as well sleep on my couch tonight and leave in the morning.  I’m beat so I’m going to bed now.  Good night.”

 

“Hey, wait,” says InuYasha. 

 

The young woman pauses by the entrance to her hallway and looks back.  “What is it?”

 

“You um,” he replies scratching his head, “never told me your name.”

 

“Oh, it’s Kagome…Kagome Higurashi.  And yours?”

 

“InuYasha…Takahashi.”

 

“Inu…Ya…sha,” repeats Kagome slowly.  “It’s a bit unusual, isn’t it?”

 

“Yeah, I hear that a lot.  But it’s what my father named me so I’m stuck with it.”

 

“I see.  Well, I think it sounds really nice.  I like it,” she says with a curt nod.

 

“You… like…?”

 

“Good night InuYasha Takahashi.  Pleasant dreams.”  She disappears down the hall with the hanyou staring with a somewhat surprised look.

 

(Damn,) he thought with a smirk.  (The way she said my name just now sounded so….so nice.  What was her name again?)  “Ka…go…me,” he whispers as if trying out the name.  “Her name sounds nice too.  I’ll be sure to make a note of it.  Maybe get her something special in appreciation for helping me out tonight.”  He smiles while situating the pillow and blanket around him.  (Yep!  I was damn lucky it was her who found me tonight,) he thought.  (Otherwise, I would have ended up as dead meat.)  InuYasha takes a deep breath and immediately passes out.