InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ For the Love of a Child ❯ A Painful Goodbye ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Painful Goodbye.

 

The night is quiet with only the faintest sounds of vehicles cruising along the city streets below and the tick, ticking, of the clock on the wall.  Seems everyone in the apartment is enjoying a restful night except for the hanyou who is tossing and turning on the couch, apparently in the throes of a nightmare.

 

“No.  No!” whispers InuYasha turning his head from side to side.  “She can’t be…”  In his dream he’s standing in the middle of a war-torn village, looking around at all the destruction, and bloody carnage, from a long ago battle he’d experienced in the past.  The scent of fear is strong in the village along with the putrid scent of death.  There are still a few villagers who’d managed to escape the vicious attack yet the one he seeks seems not to be among them.  InuYasha runs from one end of the village to the other, crying out for his intended mate.

 

“KIKYOOOO!” InuYasha yells anxiously.  “KIKYO!  WHERE ARE YOU DAMN IT?!”

 

In his cruel dream, the hanyou continues searching, turning over the many dead bodies of both human and demon desperately hoping he doesn’t find his intended mate among them.  When he still doesn’t find her, he grabs a terrified human running by. 

 

“Where’s your priestess?!” he angrily demands looking into the frightened villager’s eyes who seems too petrified to answer.  InuYasha violently shakes him.  “Where is she, damn it?!  Where’d they take her?!”

 

~~~~~~~

 

“MAMA!” screams a child’s voice. 

 

InuYasha’s dream is abruptly shattered as he is rudely awakened by the screaming of a frightened child.  The hanyou’s eyes quickly open and he sits up.  “KiKyo?”  He’s perspiring profusely, his breathing heavy and uneven, as he searches the room, looking for what had truly awakened him.  Finding himself alone in the room, entangled, within his blankets, he begins fighting against the constricting bindings to get free.

 

“HELP ME MAMA!!!  HE’S GONNNA GET ME!  HELP!”

 

“Aww shit!” the hanyou growls and stops his struggling and sighs.  “It’s only the kid.”  There is yet another loud, terrifying scream, only this time he hears a door opening.  “Come… on,” growls InuYasha rubbing his clawed hand down his face.  “Will you please shut that fucking kid up in there?!”

 

“MAMA!”

 

“I’m coming Souta!” yells a woman’s worried voice.  “I’m coming!”

 

“Damn it!” growls InuYasha.  “What’s a guy gotta do to get some fucking sleep around this damn place?!!!”

 

“I’m scared Mama!  He’s gonna get me!”

 

(He’s gonna think scared if he keeps this shit up!  Don’t these damn morons know you don’t wake a demon when he’s sleeping?)  He finally frees himself of his bindings then goes in search of the child, the terror causing his head to pound worse, finding an open door where the scent of fear is strongest.  The screams from the child soon lessen to a quiet whimper, yet instead of going back to bed the hanyou remains by the door shamelessly listening.

 

“Shhh Souta,” whispers Kagome soothingly rocking the child back and forth, “mama’s here now.  Everything’s all right.  Shhh.”

 

“I’m so scared, mama,” cries Souta tearfully grabbing tightly to the woman’s gown.  “He almost got me.  Why won’t he stop?  I want him to stop!”

 

“I know you do, sweetie,” says Kagome softly, hugging the child to her chest.  “I want him to stop too.”  She gently places her hand over the forehead of the small, trembling, child.  “You really are scared, aren’t you, Souta?”

 

“Um hm,” the child replies with a nod.

 

“Was it the same dream from before?”  The child shakes his head.  “What was it about this time?  Can you tell me?”

 

“It was that big man again mama,” explains the child slightly trembling.  “Only this time he was a…a giant chasing me with a knife.  Like that big one auntie Sango uses to cut open the chicken.  The man… he said,” the child stops to sniff and wipe his nose on Kagome’s nightgown, “he… told me I wasn’t wanted anymore and was going to use his knife to put me out of my misery.  He was going to cut my ticker out, mama!”

 

“That is frightening.”

 

The child begins crying harder.  “That ain’t true, is it, mama?  I’m wanted, ain’t I?  You wouldn’t let that bad man hurt me, would you?”

 

“No, Souta, of course not,” says Kagome wiping the child’s tears.  “I’d never allow anyone to hurt you.”

 

“But… that man …”

 

“That man doesn’t know what he’s talking about Souta.  You’re, most definitely wanted sweetie.  I want you … with me.”

 

The child’s cries become softer.  “You do…really?”

 

The young woman nods.  “Really.  That man is nobody you should be scared of, ok?  Not as long as your mama’s here to protect you.”  Kagome again brushes the tears from the boy’s eyes and gives a reassuring smile.  “You’ll always be safe with me.”

 

“But that man…he was bigger than you mama and stronger.”

 

“So what?  No matter how big or tough he thinks he is Souta, I’ll still whoop his butt.”

 

“You will?” the small child asks in wonder.

 

“You’d better believe I will.  It’s a mama’s job, to love and protect her children.  You believe that, right?”  The small child hiccups and nods.  “Anyone who hurts my child, will have to answer to me.  I’ll have that big old man crying for his mama when I’m through with him.”  The child slightly laughs.  Kagome straightens the blankets around the boy and places a gentle hand on his head.  “Say.  You know what I’m in the mood for?”

 

“What?” asks the child hesitantly with a sniff.

 

“A nice cup of warm milk with chocolate.  Would you like some too, sweetie?”  The young boy slowly nods.  “Well while you relax and breathe like the good doctor showed you, I go to the kitchen and make us some, alright?”

 

“Alright.”  Souta, looks up at the young woman.  “Mama?”

 

“Yes sweetie?”

 

“You won’t be gone long, will you?  That man might come back.”

 

Kagome smiles.  “No, I promise I’ll come right back with the milk.  And if that bad old man shows up again, you just yell alright?”

 

Kagome kisses the child’s forehead and rises to go to the kitchen.  Upon leaving the child’s room, she runs into InuYasha’s hard body.  The hanyou quickly grabs her shoulders to keep her steady.  “Oh, I’m so sorry,” she says apologetically feeling a slight blush coloring her cheeks.

 

(K…KiKyo.)  The young hanyou is stunned for the similarities between this woman and his priestess are uncanny.  They could almost pass as twins.  InuYasha swallows deeply while slowly looking the young woman’s body up and down.

 

The woman, in is grasp, is indeed beautiful.  She is slim in build, with soft pale skin, and dark brown eyes.  She has long thick ebony hair cascading halfway down her back, and over her shoulder in soft gentle waves.  Kagome is wearing a long, thin, red robe, modest, showing little underneath, obstructing the hanyou’s view of her breasts, hips and legs.  Her sweet scent of Sakura blossoms and peaches is quite intoxicating to him as well.  InuYasha just can’t get enough of her scent nor stop staring at her.

 

“Um,” says Kagome nervously.  “Did Souta wake you?”  InuYasha, mouth gaping open, slowly nods.  “I’m sorry.  This happens all the time, around here.  It will probably be a while before he’ll go back to sleep now.  So, if you want you can sleep in my room tonight.  When you…” she clears her throat, “when you close the door completely, you won’t be able to hear him.  I won’t be able to sleep now anyway.”  Becoming uncomfortable with the hanyou’s silence and obvious staring, Kagome, waves a hand in his face.  “Hey… you still in there?”

 

Because of his staring, InuYasha doesn’t hear what the woman has been saying.  He is snapped from his gaze when she waves her hand in his face.  “Wha…what?” says the half demon surprised, blinking several times as he comes to himself.  He then notices he’s still holding onto the young woman and quickly releases her.  “Oh sorry.  Did you say something?”

 

“I said you can sleep in my room InuYasha.  If you want to that is.”

 

“Say it again,” says the hanyou expectantly.

 

“You can… sleep… in my room?” repeats Kagome curiously.

 

“No,” replies InuYasha slightly shaking his head.  “My name.  Say my name.”

 

“Inu…Yasha?”  The half demon smirks as his ears twitch.  Seeing this reaction Kagome smiles.  “Seems your hangover didn’t last as long as I thought it would, huh?  Probably a demon trait, right?”

 

“Maybe,” replies the hanyou smiling.  “I have lots of traits.”

 

“Oh um,” Kagome nervously laughs.  “I guess you would at that seeing as you’re a demon.  Um…, want some hot chocolate?”

 

“Depends,” replies the hanyou with a smirk.  “Is it any better than that nasty concoction you tried forcing down my throat earlier?”

 

“Concoction?”  Kagome raises a finger to her chin.  “Hmm… oh, you must mean the coffee.”  The half demon gives a nod.  “Well, I don’t recall doing that exactly.  What I remember is, the cup was just sitting on the table, and I didn’t see anyone with a gun, forcing you to drink it.”  She passes InuYasha.  “Besides it wasn’t me who made the coffee.  Sango did.”  InuYasha closely follows Kagome to the kitchen. 

 

“Does the kid always yell out like that, Kagome?” InuYasha asks curiously.

 

“Not always.”  Kagome opens the refrigerator.  “Usually, it happens when I’ve been out.”  She closes the refrigerator door and with milk in hand goes to her stove.  “I seldom get a good night’s rest.  Could you hand me that sauce pan over there?”

 

“What?  This big one?”

 

“No, the one next to it.”

 

The young hanyou reaches for the pan and gives it to Kagome.  “Would you mind if I asked you something personal?”

 

“Depends,” answers the woman.  “We’ve just met and all.”

 

InuYasha smiles, “What’s the real reason you’re not married?  I mean, you can certainly use a man around this place, can’t ya?”

 

“Probably.  But I don’t want to be married.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“I don’t want a husband.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Well…because men are shallow, deceitful, beings who only care about themselves.  They’ll use anyone, hurt anyone just to get what they want.”

 

“We’re not all like that, you know.”

 

“You couldn’t prove it by me.”

 

“But still.  You must have thought about it, haven’t you?  Getting married?”

 

“Nope.”

 

“You’ve never even looked for one?”

 

“I don’t want a husband, InuYasha.  I can take care of Souta and myself just fine without one.”  Kagome turns down the flame on the stove.  “Still …if I were to ever consider marriage, I would want a man who’s kind, sweet, caring...dependable and brave.  Someone like Miroku.  I always feel so safe whenever I’m around him.  And I can trust him too.”

 

“That man’s, married, Kagome.”

 

“I know.  I’m just saying if I were to ever consider marrying anyone, it would have to be someone like him.  Someone who would make me feel wanted, protected, and loved.  But there’s no such person out there for me.  So, I just don’t look.  Sango, sure is one lucky woman though.”

 

“Why would she be so lucky?”

 

“She married Miroku.  He’s such a great guy.  He treats Sango really well just as she treats him.  Through thick and thin, no matter their circumstances the two of them stick together.  I don’t think there’s anything or anyone that can ever break them apart.”

 

“They can’t be all that perfect Kagome.”

 

“Of course, they can InuYasha.  Oh, they do have their little squabbles from time to time, I guess.  Everyone does.  But to them it doesn’t matter, cause they will fight and defend each other to the bitter end if they had to.  They’re tied together and they wouldn’t have it any other way.  They don’t really have much though.  Not in the way of money or riches, but what they don’t have each make up for it in love and companionship.  They’re made for each other, you know?  Like they’re soul mates.”  Kagome deeply sighs.  “It’s really rare to find a great love like that.”

 

“Keh!  Quite the testimonial there,” says InuYasha smiling, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning back against the counter.  “Seems you’re quite the romantic.”

 

“I guess I am InuYasha,” replies Kagome smiling, and looks back at the hanyou.  “So, what about you?”

 

“What about me?”

 

“Have you found your soul mate yet?  Like a wife or a girlfriend?”

 

“Oh um,” The hanyou scratches the back of his head.  “I guess you could say I have a friend who lives with me Kagome.  Not sure about the whole soul mate thing, though.  We got into a fight tonight and she left.  That’s why I got so sauced.”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“Don’t be.  She’s left me before so it’s nothing I can’t handle.”

 

“Still, the fighting…it must be really rough on you.”

 

“It’s not so bad.”

 

“Maybe not but I hate that you have to go through that.  Fighting can be painful and can end with misunderstandings and you seem like such a nice guy.”

 

“I do?”

 

“Um hm.  Like one of the straight and steadfast ones, you know?  One who would do anything for your woman.”

 

“I don’t know about that, exactly.”

 

“Oh, I do.  You have that look about you InuYasha, a look that says ‘I’m me.’  A look that tells the world you’re comfortable within your own skin, and you don’t scare easily.  Your face tells me you’ve seen a lot of hard times, that you’re tough, but you’re soft at the same time.  You’ve been through a lot in your lifetime InuYasha, and your past is what you let define you.”

 

“You can see all that just by looking at me?”

 

“Pretty much.  I think your friend sees it too.  She’s with you because you make her feel safe and loved…and wanted.  I think you’ve already found your soul mate, InuYasha.  You just haven’t realized it yet.”

 

“My soul mate huh?”

 

“Um hm.  I sort of envy you.”  Kagome gives a teasing smile.  “Bet I can guess what turns her on too.”

 

“And what would that be?” asks the hanyou with a smirk.

 

“Those ears of yours.  They’re just adorable.”

 

“What… these?” asks the hanyou with a laugh while swiveling said appendages.

 

“Yeah.  I bet she’s always rubbing on them, huh?”

 

“Nah, my ears don’t interest her Kagome.  Her fascination is sex.  She likes it hard and rough.  You know…fierce!”

 

“Oh, I see,” Kagome replies with a blush.

 

“Yeah, she can really be hard to satisfy at times.”  InuYasha sees the young woman blush before she turns back to her stove.  “Oh, forgive me.  I didn’t mean to embarrass you.”

 

“It’s all right, InuYasha,” says Kagome shrugging her shoulders.  “I don’t mind.  Guess sex is fine if you’re really into that sort of thing.  Me?  I wouldn’t know the first thing about that particular subject.”

 

“You don’t?”

 

“Nope!”

 

“Why not?”

 

Kagome again looks back, giving the hanyou a ‘do you have to ask’ look.

 

“What?” asks InuYasha with a laugh.  “You’re not still a virgin, are you?  As old as…I, mean… damn!”

 

“Not everyone is a nymphomaniac, you know,” whispers Kagome, returning her attention back to the hot chocolate trying to hide the brighter blush she feels coming on.  “I’ve just never wanted it, that’s all.”

 

(Does she actually expect me to believe that shit?  A virgin?  Keh,) thought the half demon with a smirk!  “Must be pretty lonely being the only one, huh?”

 

“Only one what?”

 

“Virgin.  I didn’t think there were any more like you left on this planet which actually makes you a rarity, doesn’t it?!  So, tell me, what’s wrong with ya?”

 

(Wrong with me?)  Kagome gives a deep sigh and again looks back.  “Nothing’s WRONG with me, ok?  I’m a healthy, intelligent, 22year old that has no interest in sex, that’s all.  End of story.”

 

“You sure about that?”

 

“Yes, I’m sure about that.  I don’t find any aspect of it interesting in the least.”

 

“I see.  Guess sex doesn’t interest you because you’ve never been handled right,” says InuYasha smugly.  “With the right man you…”

 

“Oh, I’ve been handled, all right,” says Kagome a little angrily.  “Lots of times.  Got the scars to show for it.”

 

“Scars?  Someone actually beats you?” asks InuYasha surprised.  His inner demon gives a slight growl.

 

“Did.”

 

“Why?  You’re a nice and somewhat pretty girl.  Not a bad looking body at all.”

 

Kagome looks back at the hanyou surprised.  “You really think so?”  InuYasha smiles and nods.  “You don’t think I’m too fat or too ugly?”

 

The hanyou slowly shakes his head.  “Not at all.  Not from what I can see at least.”

 

“That settles it,” says Kagome with a curt nod.  “You’re still way too drunk to make any kind of judgments right now.  You’ll change your tune quick enough in the morning when you really see what I look like.”

 

“I can see just fine now Kagome.”

 

“Uh huh, sure you can.”  She turns back to her stove to check on the milk, simmering.  “This should be done in a minute InuYasha.  So, you can wait in the living room if...”

 

“Mama?” comes a small strangled voice calling from the hallway.

 

“It’s almost done sweetie,” answers Kagome pouring chocolate syrup into the pot.

 

“My ticker still hurts, mama,” explains Souta leaning against the wall while gripping his nightshirt tightly.  “It won’t stop.”

 

The young woman’s eyes widen as his words filter into her mind.  The pan of hot milk falls on the floor as she runs to the little boy falling to her knees and grabbing his shoulders, noticing the unusual paleness of the young boy’s skin.  “Souta… how bad does it hurt sweetie?”

 

“Pretty bad mama,” replies the boy, watching Kagome suddenly stand and anxiously run to the closet.  “I did the breathing and everything but it won’t stop.  It really hurts mama.”

 

“I know, Souta.”  Kagome jerks her jacket from the closet quickly putting it on over her robe and nightdress.  “We’ll get you to the hospital and Dr. Shunkin will fix your ticker up just fine.”  She anxiously looks over at the hanyou who is looking quite confused with all the commotion.  “I know we’ve just met, InuYasha but would you mind dressing Souta while I go get his uncle Miroku?”  She looks back to her son.  “Don’t you worry one bit Souta.  You’ll be fine I promise.”  She runs out the door of the apartment.

 

InuYasha takes the worried child’s hand quickly leading him back to his room.  “Well sport,” he asks tearing open the doors to the boy’s closet.  “What cha wanna wear?”  He pulls out everything, tossing them the floor until he comes to a blue sweat outfit with a Tigger design.  “What do you think?  Like it?  This should keep you nice and warm outside.”

 

Souta stands quietly, allowing the anxious stranger to quickly dress him.  “Mister?” he asks as the sweatshirt is pulled over his head.

 

“InuYasha.”

 

“Oh.  You mama’s friend?”

 

“I guess so,” answers InuYasha, trying to concentrate on what he’s doing and fighting the pain of his hangover.

 

“I haven’t seen you here before.”

 

“Your mom and I just met today.”

 

“Oh.  Did you …did you marry a wife already?” asks Souta innocently.

 

“No.”  The hanyou quickly places the boy on his bed to put shoes on his feet.

 

“Can I ask you something?”

 

“You’re just full of questions tonight, aren’t ya kid?  I’m a half demon if that’s what you want to know.”

 

“Um umm,” replies the small boy slowly shaking his head.  “I want you to do something for me.  Something very important.”

 

InuYasha stops what he’s doing.  Now, the hanyou has a questioning look in his eyes.  “What is it?”

 

“When that man cuts out my ticker … mama’s gonna be all alone with no one to take care of her.  So will you take… care of mama for me?”

 

The hanyou continues his work in tying the shoes.  “You’re talking nonsense kid.  No one’s cutting out your heart, ok?”

 

“Uh huh,” says Souta, slowly nodding his head.  “I dreamed it.  A man’s gonna take a big knife and cut my ticker out.  He…he wants to end my misery, whatever that is.”

 

“It ain’t happening, I tell ya!  Not on Kagome’s watch!” says InuYasha.  “You’re gonna be just fine!”

 

“Please?  I’m all mama’s got.  She won’t…”  A look of pain crosses the child’s pale face as his breathing becomes labored.

 

“Hey!  Calm down kid,” says InuYasha worriedly.  “You’re getting yourself all worked up over nothing.”

 

The child shakes his head.  “I got to…to make sure mama’s gonna be alright.  She’s gonna need someone to…”

 

“Are you ready, Souta?” yells Kagome, from the hall.

 

“Please!” begs Souta.  “Promise me, you’ll do it!”

 

The frantic young woman runs into the bedroom and, quickly picks up the child.  “Come on, sweetie, Doctor Shunkin’s waiting for us.  We’ve got to get you to him fast so he can make you all better.”  Then without a word Kagome runs from the room.  The child anxiously looks back at InuYasha.

 

“Promise?!” he yells as he’s carried away.

 

The hanyou hears the young boy’s question before the slamming of the door.  “Yeah kid,” he answers quietly, “I promise.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Tick…Tick…Tick…Tick...

 

The constant ticking, of the clock, is the only sound in the spotless white room where three people sit anxiously watching the pristine double doors the nurses had rushed Souta through.  Kagome, nervously shaking her legs and twiddling her thumbs waits for some word about her son while Sango and Miroku sit quietly beside her.

 

“You guys should go home now Sango,” says Kagome, breaking the dreadful silence.  “There’s no reason Miroku should miss work because of this.”  She gives a small smile, hoping to convey a feeling of assurance toward her friends even though fear is still gripping her heart.  “Souta’s… he’ll be just fine.  You’ll see.  Dr. Shunkin’s with Souta right now fixing him up as good as new.”

 

“I’m sure that’s true, Kagome,” says Sango, taking the nervous young woman’s hand.  “But when he’s ready to leave, you’ll need someone to drive you home so we’ll just wait here with you.”

 

“But Miroku’s has to be at work early, doesn’t he?”

 

“Don’t worry about it,” replies Sango.  “Miroku can call off if he needs to.  Isn’t that right Miroku?”

 

“Yeah, Kagome,” replies Miroku.  “I’m sure my boss won’t mind.”

 

“And as soon as Souta’s released, we’ll all go out for breakfast,” offers Sango.  “Just the four of us, like we always do when he sees the doctor.  We’ll go to Souta’s favorite restaurant and he can eat all the waffles he wants.”

 

“And I’ll even spring for it,” offers Miroku with a smile.  The three become silent once more.

 

Tick…Tick…Tick.

 

Another unsettling hour passes.  Kagome stands and paces the room then walks to the window to stare out at the darkness, beyond the hospital walls, still wringing her hands.  “I can’t stand this, you guys!  They’ve had plenty of time to figure out what’s wrong with Souta.  Why won’t the doctors tell us anything?”

 

“I’m sure they’ll…” begins Sango when the double doors finally swing open.

 

An old chubby looking doctor wearing a white coat walks through, removing his mask revealing tired and grim features, as if the information he possesses, is weighing heavily on his mind.  The doctor pauses before the three, who are anxiously standing, before him with expectant looks on their faces. 

 

“Well?” asks Kagome worriedly.  “How is he?  Can Souta go home now?”

 

A moment of unbearable silence passes and the doctor gives a sigh, looks down at the board in his hand and then at the small group facing him.

 

“Are you,” he again looks down at the board.  “Kagome Higurashi?” he asks softly.

 

Feeling Kagome’s arm jerk, Sango squeezes her hand, letting the young woman know she’s still there with her.

 

Kagome releases her friend’s hand and bravely steps forward.  “Yes,” she pauses to clear her throat.  “I’m Kagome.  Souta’s my son.  Can I take him home now?” she asks hopefully.

 

The doctor slightly turns toward the double doors.  “Please, come with me, Miss Higurashi.”

 

“Huh?”  Kagome, suddenly feeling her legs becoming weak and unable to move, clings to Sango for support.  “Why?  Souta is alright, isn’t he?  Isn’t he?!” she asks, her voice becoming louder.  “Say something!”

 

“Kagome,” says Sango quietly.

 

“I asked you a question doctor!!” demands Kagome ignoring her friend.  “Is my son alright?!!”  A nurse comes behind and softly touches her shoulder.

 

“Please come with me, Kagome,” the doctor again softly commands and turns toward the door while the nurse gives her a subtle push.

 

The young woman doesn’t want to go through those pristine doors.  She doesn’t want to hear what words the grim looking doctor has to say.  Her only desire is to take Souta, her only child, back home.  She doesn’t feel the nurse supporting and pushing her forward.  Kagome looks back at Sango, silently asking for help.

 

“We’ll be right here waiting for you, Kagome,” says Sango, wishing she could go back with her.  As the pristine doors slowly swing close Miroku places a gentle hand on his wife’s shoulder, for reassurance and she grabs onto it.

 

“Why do you suppose they took her back there, Miroku?” asks Sango worriedly.  “Do you think Souta’s…”

 

“Let’s not jump to conclusions Sango,” replies Miroku quietly.  “It could be Souta’s a little worse off than we thought and has to stay here a few more nights, that’s all.  They just need Kagome to sign the papers for it.  I’m sure when she comes back out, she’ll tell us all about what’s going on.”  The two take a seat on the provided couch in the waiting room, both staring intensely at the double doors...waiting.

 

The old doctor, nurse and Kagome, slowly, enter a separate lounge.  A small one, quiet, all white with the exception of a small wooden table against the side wall, a black leather couch with a black chair sitting across from it.  Kagome, feeling fear gripping her heart, trembles.  She doesn’t look anywhere but into the doctor’s eyes, silently begging him not to say the dreadful words those old tired eyes are showing.  “I don’t see Souta here.  So where is he?” she finally asks.  “Will you let me see him now?”

 

“Miss Higurashi.  I’m doctor Weatherby, on call for the night,” says the doctor quietly and waves toward a chair.  “Won’t you please have a seat?”

 

“I don’t want a seat,” replies Kagome with a shake of her head.  “I…I want my son!  He must be ready to go home by now, right?”

 

The nurse gently touches her shoulder and without taking her eyes from the doctor, Kagome shakes it off.  “Leave me alone!”

 

“It’s alright nurse,” says the doctor quietly.  “Please sit, Miss Higurashi.”

 

“Where’s Souta, Dr. Weatherby?” she demands, her bottom lip slightly trembling as she slowly sits.  “Why isn’t he here?  Do you need him to stay a few more nights, is that it?  Just give me the papers to sign already so I can go be with him!”

 

Doctor Weatherby sits in the chair, directly across from the anxious woman, taking her trembling hand in his and giving it a gentle pat.  “Kagome…about your son.”

 

“Yes.”

“Believe me, Kagome, no doctor in the world would want to be in the position, I find myself in right now.  I need to tell you something…something very important, that will be hard for you to hear.”

 

“Look if he has to stay that’s fine.  Just tell me what room Souta’s in so I can go be with him.”

 

The doctor deeply sighs.  “I’m sorry Miss Higurashi.  Really, I am.  I wish I knew what words to say to make this easier on you.  But there are no magic words or easy ways of saying this except to just come out with it.”  The doctor takes a deep breath.  “Kagome…your son…

 

“What about him?” asks Kagome anxiously.

 

“Souta’s… he…”  He feels a sudden jerk of her hand and he swallows hard, while tightening his hold.  “I’m afraid Souta didn’t make it, Kagome.  His heart…”

 

“Wh…I don’t think I understood you, correctly, Dr. Weatherby,” whispers Kagome painfully her face going pale.  “What do you mean by he didn’t make it?”

 

“Just that Miss Higurashi.  Your son didn’t make it.”

 

“He’s…?”  Kagome slowly shakes her head, unable to digest the doctor’s words.  “Souta?  No,” she whispers.  “You’re joking right?!”

 

“I’m afraid not, Kagome.  I wish it were a joke but the truth is he’s gone.  He died just after he was placed on the table.”

 

(Died?  No.  That can’t be true,) thought Kagome feeling panic rising within her.

 

“We’ve tried everything to keep your son with us… did everything medically and humanly possible to keep him alive.”

 

(It’s not true.)

 

“But the valve supplying blood to your son’s heart was just too weak to function and it…”

 

“No!!” snaps Kagome covering her ears and shaking her head.  “It’s a lie!”  She lowers her shaking hands.  “Souta alive!  I know he is.  I want my son Dr. Weatherby!!!  You bring him to me now!”

 

“That’s not possible, Miss Higurashi.” 

 

“Why not?  He is my son.”

 

“I know that but…”

 

“Then bring him to me, ok?  I want to take him home now.”

 

“I don’t believe you’d want to see your son as he is at this present time.  You see Miss Higurashi, Souta’s heart…it’s…well the valve, collapsed causing severe trauma.  It could no longer work to supply the blood for the heart to function as it should.  In short, Souta’s heart simply gave out, it simply stopped,” continues the doctor.  “His body is not as it was when you first brought him in here.  There’s no life in him now.”

 

“That’s not…no,” whispers Kagome.  “It can’t be true.  My son was fine all day today, Dr. Weatherby.  He was alive and well when he went to bed.  Sure, he complained of a few pains, but it turned out to be nothing.  It wasn’t so severe that he’d…  The young woman quickly looks up at the doctor.  “Oh, I know what’s going on here.  This is all Houjo’s doing, isn’t it?  He’s paid you to tell me this?  He doesn’t want me to have Souta so you…”

 

“What I’m telling you is the truth Kagome.  His heart stopped.  We’ve tried to save him, even tried forcing the blood through the failing valve in hopes the heart would start functioning properly again.  But all our efforts didn’t make any difference.  You just can’t make a damaged heart pump blood again once it stops.”

 

“He was fine, I tell you.  I know he was.”

 

“I don’t doubt that.  But things of this nature can be very unpredictable.  There would be no warning, Miss Higurashi.  The valve just suddenly collapsed.”

 

“I was being so careful with him, Dr. Weatherby.”

 

“Oh, I don’t doubt that Kagome.  You’ve been a great mother, to Souta.  I’m sure he was a very happy little boy.  There have been many other children come through here, you know…children afflicted with the same condition Souta had.  Children who’ve rarely survive long after their first birthday.  Yet your son, Miss Higurashi, lived to the age of three.  I’m very impr…”

 

“Stop it!  Just stop it!” yells Kagome, violently shaking her head.  “What is it you’re trying to do to me, doctor?”  You can’t make me believe my son’s gone!  It’s not true!”

 

“Please calm yourself Miss Higurashi,” says the doctor worriedly. 

 

“Calm myself?  I can’t calm down when Souta…my only child is still lying in there…fighting for his life!  I…I brought in him here to see Dr. Shunkin!  So where is he?”

 

“Dr. Shunkin is…”

 

“He’s in there with Souta, isn’t he?” asks Kagome becoming a little calmer.  “Yes.  Dr. Shunkin knows more about my son’s condition than any of you.  He can fix Souta heart!  I know he can.”

 

“Dr. Shunkin is not here I’m afraid.”

 

“Then go get him,” commands Kagome anxiously.  “They’ve always called him in whenever I brought Souta here before.  So, call or page him or something.  Just get him in there.”

 

“Unfortunately Dr. Shunkin is out of town at this time,” replies the doctor, concerned with the pallor of the woman’s skin.

 

“Out of…town?!”

 

“That’s right.  He’s not scheduled back until next month sometime.”

 

“Why would he go out of town?  Dr. Shunkin’s got to be here to help my son!”

 

“I’m sure had he’d known this would happen; he would have been here.  But we doctors don’t have crystal balls telling us when we’ll be needed.  And being a doctor…with all the stress we go through day after day in this hospital, we need time away from here to relieve some of that stress.  Or else we won’t be effective as doctors at all.”

 

“So, you really can’t reach him?”

 

“No, I’m afraid we can’t.”

 

“Then you’re really… the only one,” asks Kagome quietly.

 

“The only one, on call, yes.”

 

“Well, instead of you sitting there, telling me these… these lies, shouldn’t you still be in there with my son?!”  Kagome springs to her feet, grabs the doctor’s arm to pull him from the room.  “My son needs your help, Dr. Weatherby!”

 

“No, he doesn’t,” replies the doctor sadly.  “You’ve got to understand I can’t do anything more for him!”

 

“Liar!!!” yells Kagome angrily, slapping the doctor’s face.  “Don’t you dare stand there and tell me you can’t help my son when I know you can!”  The angry woman begins pacing in front of the doctor and nurse.  “Doctors heal children all the time, don’t they?!  It’s what you’re paid to do.  The last time I brought my son in here, Dr. Shunkin told me…he said Souta was doing really well.  He said…he said he wouldn’t be surprised to see my son on his fourth birthday.”

 

“Yes well, doctors can’t…”

 

“Is it the money?” Kagome desperately asks.  “You need more, is that it?”

 

“Miss Higurashi…”

 

“Just tell me how much, alright.  I swear I’ll go get it for you!”

 

“I’m sorry Miss Higurashi but money isn’t the issue here,” says the doctor trying to soothe the distraught young woman.  “Money simply cannot buy life or prolong it.  Not in this situation.  There’s just nothing more that can be done for your son.  Souta’s heart…”

 

“Souta’s heart was just fine.  Fine before I brought him in here, at least!  Sure, he was hurting a little but that’s what you doctors are here for.  You’re supposed to help him.”  Painful tears form in Kagome’s eyes.  “Can’t you understand?  Souta’s all I have in this world.  He’s everything to me.  I can’t lose him.  So…get back in there and help him or I swear I’ll take him somewhere else where he can get help!”

 

The doctor gives a heavy sigh.  “Don’t you think if there were another doctor who could have helped Souta’s condition, we would have already sent for them?  Everything humanly possible has already been done for your son.  Any other doctor you choose to take him to will tell you the same thing.  His heart valve just couldn’t take the strain anymore.  It was too far gone when you brought him in and….”

 

“What?  It was too… it’s my fault?” asks Kagome and she covers her face.  “Oh gods, you’re saying I killed my own child!”

 

“No, no Miss Higurashi, you misunderstood.  I didn’t say you’re to blame for this!  No one can fault you for what happened to your son.”  He pulls Kagome hands from her pale, tear-stained face.  “Listen to me.  You’ve been a good mother…a wonderful mother to Souta.  It’s just… like the rest of us you’re only human.  And we doctors aren’t gods or magicians, who with a snap of our fingers can restore life.  No human can.  It was simply his time to go, that’s all.  But you should know, Kagome your son didn’t suffer.  Souta never regained consciousness after being placed on the table in the emergency room.  He went peacefully.  As if he’d just went to sleep.”

 

“This can’t be possible.  You can’t have done everything!” says Kagome incredulously.  “There must be something more…something you forgot to try… something.”

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

“Stop telling me you’re sorry, and do something to help my son.  He needs you now…to fix him.  I know!” says Kagome with a look of desperation.  “Another heart can fix him, right?”

 

“No it…”

 

“What about my heart?”

 

“What did you say?”

 

“My heart!” says Kagome anxiously.  “It’s healthy and there’s nothing wrong with it.  Take it and give it to Souta.”

 

“It won’t…”

 

“Yes, it will!  It will give him back his life.  If you’re so scared to do it then give me a knife and I’ll cut it out myself.  I’m not afraid to die.  I’ll do anything…give everything I have for Souta.  Just please…don’t let him die!”

 

“Miss Higurashi, please.  This isn’t helping.”

 

“No I mean it!  Just give me the darn knife!”

 

“It won’t help him Kagome.  You must accept the fact your son is gone,” says the doctor comfortingly while trying to loosen the frantic young woman’s tightened fingers.  “There’s nothing more you or I or anyone else can do for him now.  Your son is dead.”

 

(Dead,) thought Kagome, the word filling her mind?  (My child…dead?  How can that be possible?)

 

The nurse touches the doctor’s shoulder.  “Doctor…shall I…?” she says quietly.  Dr. Weatherby slightly shakes his head while raising his hand to silence the nurse.

 

“Miss Higurashi?” he asks when Kagome’s pleading ceases.  “You do understand, don’t you?  There’s nothing more that can be done for him now.”

 

“Doctors save children every day!” she whispers as if speaking to no one.  “Yet you’re refusing to save mine.”  Kagome absently looks into the doctor’s worried eyes.  “Is it because we’re poor or…or we’re not from an influential family?  Are we not good enough to be helped?  Why?”  The tears begin falling heavily from Kagome’s eyes though she doesn’t feel them.  “Souta’s such a good boy Dr. Weatherby.  He’s always a good boy…with a kind and caring soul.  He deserves to live.  He’s much too young to die like this so please,” she begs, “please you must help my son!  I’ll do anything you ask!  Just PLEASE!!”  Kagome become silent once more, her tears continuing to fall as her face becomes paler.  “Don’t let…”

 

“Miss Higurashi?” asks the doctor concerned with her silence.  “Kagome.  Talk to me Kagome.”

 

“It really is my fault,” she whispers, her eyes wide quickly searching back and forth, hoping for a way out of this horrible nightmare.  “I killed my only child.”

 

“You didn’t k…”

 

“Did you know he’d just turned three last month?  He… wants to be an…an astronaut and fly us to the moon.  That doesn’t sound like he was ready to die.  Does it?”

 

“Miss Higurashi please.  Get ahold of yourself.”

 

“We were to stay together, him and me,” she says almost too calm.  “I promised him we would.  I promised… I’d… protect him.  I promised.”  Kagome continues saying the words over and over.  The doctor grabs Kagome by her shoulders to support her shaking frame.  “It’s my fault…I killed Souta…all my fault.”

 

“Nurse,” says the doctor anxiously.

 

“Yes?”

 

“All… my fault…I…promised…all my fault…”

 

“I believe Miss Higurashi is in shock!” says the doctor.  “She needs to be admitted immediately for observation.  Prepare a room for her and watch her closely!  Make sure someone is with her at all times.”

 

“Yes, doctor Weatherby,” replies the nurse with a nod and quickly leaves the room.

 

“My…fault.  I did it.  I killed my only child.”

 

A few minutes later the nurse returns pushing a wheelchair, and placing her arm around the distraught young woman attempts to seat and take her from the room.

 

Kagome stares down at the arm wrapped around her waist, then slowly looks up to absently stare at the nurse and then the doctor as if they weren’t there.  “I promised him.  I told Souta we’d always be together.  Don’t you hear me?  I promised…we’d stay together!  Please, don’t let him die.  Take me instead,” she pleads.  “I want to be with my son…my…”  Her knees buckle beneath as the grace of darkness suddenly surrounds her.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The next forty-eight hours are hard on Kagome’s friends.  Sango stays by the young woman’s bedside, patting her hand while occasionally calling out in hopes of receiving some kind of response.  Miroku, enters the room and she looks up with tears in her eyes.

 

“Has she said anything?” asks Miroku quietly handing a sandwich to his wife.

 

“Not a word,” replies Sango shaking her head, placing the sandwich aside.  “Kagome’s just lying there, staring up at the ceiling, thinking gods only knows what.  I don’t think she knows where she is or even if I’m here.”

 

“She knows we’re here Sango,” says Miroku quietly, patting his wife’s shoulder.  “Kagome’s in shock.  She’s still trying to come to terms with Souta’s death, that’s all.”

 

“Then she should be screaming or yelling or something!” says Sango frustrated.  “Just get up and hit something or…or someone.  She’d feel a lot better if she did.”

 

“Perhaps but everyone deals with grief in their own way, Sango,” says Miroku.  “And Kagome is dealing with Souta’s death the only way she knows how.”

 

“I wonder what she’s thinking about.”  Sango wipes a tear from her eyes.  “Kagome loved Souta so very much, Miroku.  She would have died for him.”

 

“I know.”

 

“You heard what Dr. Weatherby said, didn’t you?  Kagome thinks his death is her fault, that she’s the one who killed him.”

 

“But we both know that’s not true, right?  It was just his time to go.”

 

“I know it and you know it.  But Kagome…she’s refusing to believe that.  If only we took Souta to the hospital ourselves, Miroku when he first started complaining about his heart.  It could have made a difference if we did.  Maybe Souta would still be alive.”

 

“Now Sango.  Don’t go putting the guilt on your shoulders.”

 

“But we could have…”

 

“No one could have stopped it from happening, you know that.  Souta’s heart was damaged.  It was weak.  Too weak to go on anymore.  It collapsed…stopping the blood from going through his heart.  And we all knew this would happen eventually, didn’t we?  It’s not as if we learned about his conditions yesterday.”

 

“I know that but…”

 

“No one can be blamed for this Sango.  Not Kagome, not you or I can be held responsible for his death.  It was just his time, that’s all.”

 

“What if Kagome never realizes that Miroku?  What if she continues believing it’s her fault?  She’ll go crazy with guilt.  Once Kagome’s finally out of here, she might even try to…she’ll hurt herself, Miroku, just so she could be with Souta,” says Sango as more tears form in her eyes and she takes her husband’s hand.  “I don’t think I could handle losing her too.  Tell me what to do Miroku.  Kagome’s in such pain now!  I want to help her but I can’t if she won’t talk to me.”

 

“It’s painful for both of us Sango, seeing her this way,” says Miroku squeezing his wife’s hand.  “But Kagome’s strong.  It may take a while but she’ll pull out of this, I’m sure.  I mean, she always finds her way back to us eventually, doesn’t she?”

 

“Yes but… this is different.  It’s Souta she grieving over.  Her only child.  Do you really think she can handle something so devastating?  Will she ever be able to come out of it?”

 

“I believe she will …with time.  But Sango, Kagome’s got to handle this on her own, and in her own way.  There’s nothing more you or I can do for her now but let her grieve.  Allow her time to take all this in and deal with it.  And if and when Kagome should need us, she’ll know we’re here to help her through it anyway we can.”

 

“You’re right, of course,” Sango replies and she lays her head on her husband’s shoulder.  (Oh please, Kagome.  Please come back to us.  Let us help you.)

 

And the waiting continues for another day and night.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Three days later;

 

It is early Tuesday morning and the beginning of a bright, sunny, yet sad day for Kagome.  Warm gentle breezes blow around the young woman, carrying with them the subtle scent of cherry blossoms, blossoming in a nearby grove.  The scent from the small pink blossoms is sweet, quite pleasing to the senses, yet they fail to bring the sad young woman any comfort. 

 

Kagome stands among the few mourners in the cemetery, feeling very weak, her face pale, miserably staring at an open grave with a small casket hovering above it.  She’s tightly hugging a framed picture of the child the casket belongs to against her chest.

 

Few people are attending the small funeral service for the illness of the child kept him from enjoying outside activities and making too many young friends.  An old woman, Kaede, who has stayed by Kagome’s side while arrangements were being made, stands beside her as well as Sango and Miroku, offering their assistance should Kagome need it.  Kagome, doing her best to be brave, sniffs, wiping tears from her eyes while shyly looking around the small silent group, hoping, Houjo would be man enough to at least come by and pay his respects.  Kagome also notices another face is missing from this small group as well.  (Where could he be,) she thought looking around?  (Is he just late?  I’d think Roger would want to pay his respects, if only for Lisa’s sake.  Surely, he wouldn’t allow his work to keep him from coming here, would he?)

 

“Are you ok, Kagome?” whispers Sango, gently placing a hand on her shoulder.  “This isn’t too much for you, is it?”  The young woman looks over at Sango yet remains silent for she can’t find the words to answer the young woman or to express her feelings …her pain at the moment.  “The service is over now,” continues Sango, “so we’ll go on to the car to give you some privacy so you can say a proper good bye.”  Sango gently tugs on the photo frame, only Kagome refuses to let go.  “Kagome.”  Sango again tugs on said item.  “Let me hold on to this for you just until we get home, alright?”  Kagome slowly nods as she relinquishes the frame to Sango.  “I’ll keep this safe in the car with me.  We’re not in any hurry to leave so take as much time as you need.”  The young woman again silently nods.

 

“Come Sango, Kaede” says Miroku quietly, gently taking his wife’s hand to lead her away.  “We should leave Kagome alone now.”

 

“Remember Kagome, we’ll be waiting for you in the car,” says Sango worriedly before walking away.  “Yell if you need us.”  Kagome, not looking around her again slowly nods.

 

The last of the saddened mourners finally walk up and bows to Kagome, showing their respect then finally leave the grounds, leaving only the wind to comfort the young woman.  Kagome slowly walks up and gently places her hand on the small coffin, slightly rubbing, her heart aching a little more for the young child nestled within.

 

(You were so tiny sweetie,) she thought sadly gently rubbing the coffin.  (Barely started to live and I...)  Her voice cracks and she, gives a shaky sigh fighting back the urge to cry.  “Souta.  Please forgive me.  If I’d only acted responsibly, taken you to the hospital as soon as I got home, you’d still be alive now and we wouldn’t have to be here at all.”  Kagome quietly sniffs, quickly wiping her nose.  “This all seems so unreal … like some dreadful nightmare.  I keep thinking that any moment now you’re going to wake me up, saying you’re hungry or you want to watch TV.  But that’s just wishful thinking, isn’t it?  I am awake, and you really are inside this… this darn box.  I can’t even hold you in my arms anymore.”  She reaches to wipe another tear from her eyes.  “I’m standing here looking at this thing and I still can’t believe it.  I want to reach inside it and pull you out and take you home.  But I just can’t do that.  I can’t do anything for you anymore.  Life isn’t really fair, is it, sweetie?  We were such a great team, together, you and I.  Nothing could ever separate us.  Always you and me…me and you.  I wanted us to stay together forever.

 

But I’ve got no one now.  There’s no one for me, to sing to sleep at night.”  Another tear drops from her eyes.  “No one to have food fights with just because he doesn’t like what I cooked.  You wanted to be a spaceman Souta, remember?  You said you wanted…wanted to show me the stars, take me to the moon with you someday.  It’s what we’ve been planning for most of your life right?  It wasn’t supposed to end like this.  You weren’t supposed to leave me.”  Kagome swallows hard the lump of pain in her throat.  “I want to wake up and hold you in my arms sweetie …sing to you just one more time.  How can I ever survive living without you now?  You’re my son sweetie.  My life.  How do I forgive myself Souta for what I’ve done to you?”  Kagome drapes her arm over the casket giving a gentle squeeze as her attempt to comfort the small child inside.  “I want to be with you so badly, Souta.  You’re my little boy and I’ve never ever wanted to leave you.  You do believe that…right?”  The young woman gently lays her head against the casket to quietly sing, her voice uncontrollably cracking.

 

Will my sun continue to shine?

Not… without… yyyou.

Will the…mmoon con…trol the tides?

Not with…out… ou.

When I ww wake… up… each… and ev…every morn…ing,

 

The young woman’s bottom lip trembles more, making it harder for her to get the words out.

 

Will…will my…hheart be…gin to sssing?

Not... with…out you… no, not with…out…

 

“I love you mama,” she hears her child’s voice and her eyes widen.

 

(Mama?)  The tears begin pouring from her eyes onto the silent casket as Kagome loses her emotional battle.  She hugs the casket tighter as her legs become weak.  She begins pounding hard on the side of the small coffin.  “Oh, gods Souta I’m so sorry!  I didn’t mean to do it.  Please don’t leave me alone like this.  Take me with you!!  Take me…”

 

Before sliding down onto the ground, two strong arms gently pull her up and away from the casket.  The miserable young woman quickly turns and grabs onto the owner of those strong arms burying her face in their owner’s chest to sob.  She beats against the chest as hard as she can yet the strong supportive arms gently encircle her, hugging her tighter.

 

“Why?” she cries.  “I didn’t mean to do it.  I didn’t!”  Kagome then hears another soft voice calling to her.

 

“It’ll be ok, Kagome.  You’re not alone.  It’ll be ok.”

 

The loud squeaking gears of a crane is heard.  A sound telling the young woman the small casket is descending into the dark hole in the cold hard ground.  The sound is drowning out the reassuring voice telling her those, kind comforting words, giving her the feeling her world is crashing down around her.  Her knees again slightly buckle for the sound of the crane is almost more than she can bear.  A large hand gently covers her head, in an attempt to shield her from the accursed sound. 

 

“Oh god’s,” she cries sobbing harder again beating against the strong chest over and over.  “Give him back!  Please!  Give my son back to me!”

 

Kagome’s body trembles more against the one holding her and their hold tightens even more around her.  The dreadful sound finally ceases and a moment or two passes before the young woman is able to push away from those strong, supportive, comforting arms.

 

“You ok now?”

 

“I…I think so.  For now, anyway.  Th…thank you,” she says; her voice timid and slightly shaky.  “Hope I didn’t hurt you.”

 

“Nah,” replies a soft voice concerned.  “I’ve handled worse.  You can hit me more if you want.”

 

“No, that’s ok,” the young woman replies wiping the few remaining tears from her eyes and stepping back.  “Oh, I’m sorry.  I must have gotten your shirt all wet.”

 

“Don’t worry about it,” the quiet voice replies, “it’ll dry.”

 

Kagome sniffs before looking up, becoming once again captured by two soft amber eyes showing nothing but concern. 

 

“InuYasha?” she says surprised.

 

“Hey,” he replies with a sad smile.

 

“You didn’t know Souta, so why are you here?”

 

“Oh, you know,” replies InuYasha offering Kagome a handkerchief.  “The kid and I, sort of, bonded when we met.  So, I had to come and pay my respects.”

 

“I see.”  Kagome slightly bows.  “Thank you for coming InuYasha.  I appreciate your kindness.”

 

“Um…well don’t mention it,” says InuYasha feeling a little embarrassed.  “So, Kagome.”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Are you really alright now?  Anything you need me to do for you?”

 

“Oh no InuYasha.  I’m fine,” says Kagome quietly shaking her head.  “I um, guess I should be going home now.  Miroku and Sango…they’re waiting for me in the car.  They left me here so I could have some privacy.”  She looks around the cemetery, finding only a few cars parked in the drive.  “So, where’s your car?”

 

“I walked,” the hanyou lied.

 

“Walked?”

 

“Yeah.  It’s a really nice day, Kagome.  Not too hot at all.  You should walk with me and we’ll go get something to eat.  The fresh air will do you good and I assume you haven’t eaten anything since your night at the hospital.  There’s a…a really good hot dog stand, not too far from here, in fact.”

 

“Thanks, but I haven’t really been too hungry lately,” replies Kagome sadly.  “Can’t seem to keep my food down.”

 

“Then what about just taking a short walk with me?”

 

“No that’s ok.  I really should be going home now.  Can we um… offer you a lift?”

 

“Sure, I guess,” answers InuYasha slightly shrugging his shoulders. 

 

“The car’s this way.”  Kagome turns and takes two shaky steps from the grave and looks back.

 

“Something wrong Kagome?” asks InuYasha concerned.

 

“Huh?  Oh …no.  I was just thinking.  I had Souta buried here, InuYasha, next to his mother,” explains Kagome quietly.  “So, they could be together.  Do you think it’s what Lisa would have wanted?”

 

“I’m sure she would have,” replies InuYasha quietly.  “It’s kind of you to think of her like that.”

 

“Lisa was Souta’s mother actually, and my very best friend.  They were both very important to me.”  The young woman turns to walk away.  “But they’re both gone now, and I’ll never see them again.”  She takes a few more steps from the grave when her legs begin shaking.  The young hanyou quickly catches Kagome before she falls to the ground.  “I’m sorry.”

 

“Don’t be,” he says looking more concerned.  “You sure you’re going to be alright Kagome?”

 

“Alright?  Hmph.  I don’t really know anymore InuYasha,” answers the young woman sadly.  “I’ll probably never be alright again.”

 

Placing his arm under her legs, InuYasha gently lifts and carries Kagome from the gravesite toward the few remaining cars still parked alongside the graveyard entrance.  As he approaches a long black car, Sango quickly gets out. 

 

“What did you do to her?  Is Kagome all right?” she asks concerned.  “What happened?”

 

“I think she’s still recovering from shock,” says InuYasha, quietly and continues carrying Kagome to the car gently placing her in the backseat.  “It, um, doesn’t look like there’s enough room for me so I’ll just walk home.  Tell Kagome I’ll stop by later to see if she needs anything.”

 

“She doesn’t need any help from you.  If Kagome needs something, the three of us will make sure she gets it,” says Sango, suspiciously.  “Besides why would you even bother with Kagome when you don’t even know her?”

 

“I’m returning a favor and honoring a promise,” replies InuYasha curtly, his patience waning.  “I won’t go against a promise.”

 

“And it’s not for us to decide, Sango who can or can’t pay their respects,” says Miroku walking up to stand beside his wife.

 

“Yeah, but he…” says Sango worriedly.

 

“Hello.”  Miroku reaches his hand out to the hanyou.  “You might not remember us.  We’re the Houshi’s.”

 

“I remember,” replies InuYasha shaking the offered hand.  He gives a slight bow.  “Forgive me.  I wasn’t quite myself the other night so I may have been a little rude, toward you.”

 

“I understand,” replies Miroku with a smile.  “Been there a time or two, myself.  I do hope you can forgive my wife’s rudeness though.  She’s kind of protective of Kagome.”

 

“I’m very protective of her,” says Sango looking wary.

 

“Sango,” says her husband in warning.

 

“I see,” says InuYasha not liking the way the woman is staring at him.  “It would seem we both got off on the wrong foot the other night.  But like I said before, I made a promise and I intend to keep it.”

 

“Well as long as it doesn’t upset Kagome, then…ok,” says Sango curtly then she and her husband turn and walk back to the car.

 

InuYasha waits until the long black car slowly pulls away from the cemetery before returning to the gravesite where two men are still covering it up.  He quickly grabs one man by his collar, lifting him up to his face, snarling, showing his fangs and pointing toward the small grave.

 

“Couldn’t you fucking bastards have waited, until she left, to do this shit?!”

 

The man struggling in InuYasha’s grasp, looks into the hanyou’s angry eyes, frightened.  “It couldn’t be helped mister.  We have a time limit to get these graves done.”

 

“A time limit?”

 

“Yeah!” says the other gravedigger slightly backing away.  “There’s another grave here we’ll have to go finish in an hour and that doesn’t give us much time to finish this one.  We don’t get overtime here, you know.”

 

“Overtime?” asks the hanyou surprised.  “You bastards are telling me you’re worried about fucking overtime?”

 

“Why not?” replies the second gravedigger with a shrug of his shoulders.  “Aren’t we all?  Why should we bust our asses doing this shit and not get paid for it, right?”

 

“Damn.  You bastards don’t have any compassion in you at all, do you?”

 

“Compassion doesn’t pay the bills mister.  And I’m using my day off just to come help this guy do this shit.”

 

“I can’t believe what I’m hearing.  You’re worried about your fucking paycheck instead of a mother grieving over her only child?”

 

“That’s right.  She’s not paying our bills.  Hell, we know nothing about that bitch.”

 

InuYasha slowly shakes his head.  “You know.  I’ve come across some really heartless bastards in my time, but you guys?  You’re worse than all of them.  Overtime,” the hanyou raises a claw to the already frightened human’s face.  “If I had my way, I’d rip those fucking things you call hearts out and let you go to find real ones.  But since the gods made us this way, you’ll just have to live with the small ones you’ve got.  So there!”  InuYasha throws the man in his grasp along with some change down on the ground.  “That should pay for my time.  Don’t want you damn bastards worrying about your fucking time limit.”  The young hanyou abruptly turns and walks back to his car.  Before getting into his vehicle InuYasha looks back at the two men with disgust showing in his eyes.  “Overtime,” he growls.  “Keh!”  He then climbs behind the wheel and drives away.