InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ For the Love of a Child ❯ The Demon's Encounter ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 

 

It has been two weeks since Kagome had last seen InuYasha.  And as promised, she and the Houshi’s are entering the large pale bricked establishment, The Demon’s Encounter finding it rather warm inside, for its Friday night and the building, is pack with assorted demons, half demons and humans who have come to relax or perhaps dance to the music of a featured band.  It is particularly loud for the band has already begun their performance on stage.

 

“Hey, Kagome!” yells Sango pushing a patron from her.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Do you really think InuYasha saved a table, for us?”

 

“He said he would, Sango!”

 

“Where is it?”

 

“Don’t know.  But he’d promised he’d save us one,” replies Kagome loudly while looking around her.  “We are kind of late getting here though.  It’s so crowded all the tables might have already been taken before he had the chance to save one.  Either that or it’s been so long since I’d seen him, InuYasha might have forgotten we were coming tonight.  Say Miroku?”

 

“Yeah Kagome,” replies Miroku also looking around.

 

“You’re the tallest.  Can you look around to see if there’s an empty table somewhere?”

 

“I can try.”  Miroku on tiptoes looks over the large crowd finding a table close to the stage, with no one sitting by it.  “There’s a table, over there, Kagome that seems vacant!” he yells pointing toward the front.

 

“Great!” yells Kagome with a brighter smile.  “That’s probably the table InuYasha saved for us.  Do you think we can get to it without much trouble?”

 

“Probably,” replies Miroku with a nod.  “It’s going to be a tight squeeze though.  You and Sango stay close to me, ok?  Don’t want you getting hurt in here.”

 

“Alright!”

 

The small group slowly push their way through the crowded room, to the table situated close to the stage.  “Here you go ladies,” says Miroku pulling a chair out for both women to sit, then takes a seat himself.  “That wasn’t so bad, was it?”

 

“Not if you call getting stepped on a few times not bad,” replies Sango.  “Just hope this will be worth it.”

 

“Don’t worry Sango,” says Kagome cheerfully.  “I’m sure it will be.”

 

The song soon ends and a wolf demon, presumably the leader of the small band, gives a low bow and smiles.

 

“Well now, wasn’t that fun, folks?” asks Kouga cheerfully.  There is a loud applause and a few whistles, followed by a member of the audience calling out to him.

 

“Hey!”

 

“Yeah?” asks the wolf trying to see where the voice is coming from.  “Ya want something?”

 

“I hear you do requests.”

 

“Sure do,” replies Kouga.

 

Well ya see my girlfriend’s an airplane hostess and happens to be, in town, tonight so I was, kind of, hoping you’d sing her a song for me.”

 

“No problem,” replies Kouga still looking out toward the crowd.  “Your girlfriend got a name, don’t she?”

 

“Sure does.  It’s Penny!” the man answers sounding proud.  “Penny Dru Langsley!”

 

“Dru, huh?”  The wolf’s eyes take on a look of mischief.  “Dru, as in Druscilla, I take it.”

 

“Hell, I don’t know!” yells the man.  “Says she too embarrassed to tell me!”

 

“Well ya got any particular song in mind?”

 

“Nah, not really.  Don’t know that many myself.  So, would ja be a pal, and sing her a song for me.”

 

Kouga places his hand over the microphone, and leans back to whisper something to the rest of the group.  The band member’s look to one another, smile, and nod.

 

“I think we can manage that!” says the wolf demon.  “Here’s one for Penny, folks!  It’s a song, by the Carpenters, from the seventies.  So, some of you older folks just might remember it.”

 

As the intro to the song is starting, InuYasha looks out toward the front and sees Kagome and her friends sitting at the table.  (Well I’ll be damned,) he thought happily.  (Kagome kept her promise to me, after all!)  The hanyou gives a quick nod and revealing his fangs, gives a bright smile showing he sees her.  Seeing this, Kagome blushes while returning the smile and then looks over as Kouga begins to sing.

 

“Druscilla Penny,

What a name!

Are you sure you didn’t make it up yourself?

You’re very pretty.

Yes, you are.

But with all the junk you wear it’s hard to tell.

 

Man, you must work hard to get your hair to look like that!

I don’t need a horoscope to tell me where you’re at,

…your family’s probably given up on you since you began to follow groups of long-haired rock’n’rollers,

 

I can hear your mother,

 

…crying for her daughter.

 

Ah, Ah Ahhhh!

 

Ah, Ah Ahhhh!

 

Druscilla Penny,

…what a girl!

Where’s the purpose to the crazy life you lead?

 

It doesn’t matter

…after all

 

You’re so sure that instant love is all you need.

 

I’ve seen your face at least a thousand times you’re always standing there behind the stages at the concerts,

 

Waiting for an offer,

 

…to be with someone after.

 

Ha, ha, Aaaah!

 

Ha, ha, aaah!

 

Druscilla Penny,

…how’s your head?

Do you ever wake up lonely in the night?

 

It isn’t easy

…for a girl,

…when, she can’t decide if love is wrong or right.

 

I hope I live,

 

…to see a change.

 

Could you ever really love?

Ever really care?

Ever really get it together?

 

No…Nooo!”

 

The young wolf’s performance was such a hit it receives a loud round of applause as well as laughter at his selection.  When the applause begins to die down, Kouga looking out over the audience, and smiles.  “I bet she liked that one, eh?”

 

The customer, however, is not so pleased with the selection and is rather angry with the wolf.  “Ah, shit man!”

 

“Something wrong, there buddy?”

 

“Damn right there’s something wrong.  You’ve gone and made her cry you asshole!  I thought you’d sing something romantic but instead you had to go and pick a damn song, like that!”

 

“Hey, don’t go blaming us pal.  You didn’t say what song she wanted, romantic or otherwise,” replies Kouga shrugging of his shoulders, “So I pick one!”

 

“Yeah, you picked one alright.  Penny’s really pissed at me now, you bastard!” says the customer angrily.

 

“It’s not our fault!  We only sing the songs, ok?” says Kouga again shrugging his shoulders.  “Can’t help it if you don’t have any romance in your soul.”

 

“How dare you say something like that to me?”

 

“It’s the truth, ain’t it?” asks Kouga with a smirk.  “You should have said what you wanted but you didn’t.  So, don’t be pissed at me.”

 

“You damn prick.  I should come up there and kick your fucking ass for this!”

 

This altercation brings about a loud reaction from the audience, who begin chanting for a fight to begin.  The young hanyou quickly reaches over and takes the mic from the wolf.

 

“Hey folks!” yells InuYasha.  “You heard that, didn’t ya?”

 

“Damn it, Yash.  What the hell are you doing?” whispers Kouga struggling with the hanyou to retrieve the microphone.  “Give that back, will ya?!

 

InuYasha pushes on the wolf’s chest to keep him at bay.  “Tonight, must be your lucky night,” he continues.  “There’s gonna be a fight right here out on the parking lot.  And should any of you care to make a wager I’ll be around taking bets, after our performance.”  This causes the crowd to yell even louder.  “So, who will the victor be huh?  Kouga the wolf demon?  Or the pissed off human in the back?”

 

“Will you give that back to me you, dumbass?”  Kouga finally manages to retrieve the microphone from the laughing hanyou, pushing him aside.  “Hey, hey, guys, don’t mind him!” he says with an uncertain laugh.  “Yash’s just fooling around.  I don’t want to hurt any of our illustrious guests, soulless or otherwise.”  The crowd laughs as the young wolf places his hand over the mic.  He turns to InuYasha, and gives a low quiet growl.  “Damn you, Yash.  See what you’ve just done?”  The reply is the hanyou simply shrugging his shoulders while sipping his drink.  “I’ll get your ass back for this!”

 

Laughing, Kagome turns toward Sango who is laughing as well.  “They’re kind of funny, aren’t they?” asks Sango wiping a tear from her eye.  “You didn’t tell us InuYasha had such a great sense of humor.”

 

“I didn’t know,” says Kagome, smiling and shaking her head.  “I’ve never really seen this side of him before.”  Hearing the leader of the band speaking, the young women quiet down and smile as they turn their attention back to the stage.

 

The wolf demon is giving what looks to be a sad smile while placing his hand over his chest.  “Now, my dear ladies and gents, comes the saddest part of this set.  This…will be our last and final song for this performance.”  A loud sound of awe is heard from the females.  “I know, I know, it’s simply heartbreaking but it can’t be helped.  But don’t despair folks, fore I, Kouga, the great wolf prince,” the wolf gives a slight bow, “will grace three lovely young ladies, here, in our audience, tonight, with my grand and glorious presence.”

 

(Wow,) thought Kagome with widening eyes.  (Talk about being conceited.  One could almost see him kissing his own reflection in the mirror.)

 

“And who knows,” the wolf wiggles his eyebrows suggestively.  “One of you ladies just might get lucky tonight.”

 

“Yeah, as if,” says Sango.  “Who’d want to date that conceited bastard?”  Miroku snickers.

 

“Sango,” says Kagome with a giggle.

 

“Well?  You’re thinking the same thing Kagome.”

 

“Yeah, but I didn’t say it out loud.”

 

Laughter is again heard, mixed with a few grumbles from the males in the room.  “Now, now, pretty ladies, you must all be patient,” says the wolf demon, waving his hand.  “I assure you, there’s plenty, of me, to go around.”

 

“And he can keep it,” whispers Sango and Miroku can’t help but laugh shamelessly.

 

“You’re just awful Sango,” says Kagome with a smirk.  “What if he heard you just now?”

 

“So?  Who cares if he does?  I’m only telling the truth here.”

 

Kagome puts her hand over her face and slowly shakes her head.  “You’re terrible.”

 

The wolf prince picks up a small microphone to pin it to his shirt.  “Now, this last song is for all the lovers in our audience tonight.  The lyrics should stir up quite a few fond memories of dates long past.  The title is Three Times a Lady from the Commodores also from the early years.  Sure hope you have your tissues ready.”  Kouga jumps from the stage, as the intro is played, to walk among the many tables.

 

Watching the wolf make his way off stage, the hanyou smirks.  (Damn, Kouga’s really pissed off, this time.  Guess I’d better be on my toes, at work, come Monday.  I know he’s gonna do something to try and get my ass back for it.)

 

The song begins, and Kouga’s gentle voice wafts throughout the air as he slowly walks around the room.

 

“Thanks… for the times… that you’ve given me.

The memories… are all in my mind.

And now… that we’ve come… to the end of our rainbow,

…there’s something… I must say out loud.”

 

The young demon first walks to the table of the angry customer, in the back in hopes of soothing his girlfriend’s hurt feelings.  He gently takes her chin, in his hand, to raise her wet eyes to his, and tenderly wipes away her tears.

 

“You’re once… twice… three times a lady

…and I love you.

Yes, you’re once… twice… three times a lady,

…and I love you.

I love you.”

 

The young woman blushes while giving a shaky, yet tentative smile while the boyfriend continues glaring dangerously at the wolf prince.  Thinking better of his situation, Kouga moves on to another table, closer to the stage and touches another young woman on her shoulder.  She looks up at him giving a girlish giggle.

 

“You’ve shared… my dreams… my joys… my pain.

You made my life worth living for.

And if I… had to live

…my life over again, dear,

I’d spend each and every moment with you.

 

You’re once… twice…three times a lady,

…and I love you.”

He turns to give his attention to yet another young woman by running his claw through her hair as he sings.

 

“Yes, you’re once… twice… three times a lady,

…and I love you.

I love you.”

 

InuYasha slightly shakes his head.  (That’s Kouga, for ya.  He just has to sing a few words from a song to get every fucking bitch in here eating from the palm of his hand.  Sure, wish I had a talent like that.  I wonder though if they all realize what he’s really doing.  That he’s not really all that serious about them.  That he just a player playing the crowd.)

 

Kouga slowly slides his hand from the blushing young woman’s shoulder to move on to the third table closest to the stage where Kagome is sitting.  Seeing this the hanyou stiffens, becoming uneasy, gritting his teeth as a frown creases his forehead. 

 

(Oh no you don’t, wolf,) he thought becoming a little pissed.  (You’re treading on thin ice there.)

 

The young wolf reaches to softly caress Kagome’s cheek and smiles.  Sensing the hanyou’s uneasiness he looks toward the stage finding InuYasha giving him a rather angry stare while slightly shaking his head.  (Oh?  This one must be rather special to Yash… doesn’t want me fooling around with her?  Well, that certainly makes things interesting.  Think I’ll fuck around with him a little… make his ass squirm a bit.)  He leans closer to the young woman, his voice becoming huskier. 

 

InuYasha suspiciously narrows his eyes.  (Kouga.  You’d better watch it.) 

 

“When we… are together… the moments… I cherish,

…with every beat of my heart,”

 

The young wolf unhurriedly takes his hand from the young woman’s blushing cheek, to lightly slide it down along her arm.  The hanyou holds back the menacing growl rising within him, while Kagome’s blush deepens.

 

“To touch you… to hold you… to feel you… to need you,

…there’s nothing to keep us apart.”

 

InuYasha’s ire grows, his breathing increasing with each and every one of Kouga’s actions.  (Keep touching Kagome wolf, and I'll tear you apart… with my fucking claws!!!)  

 

However, unbeknownst of the hanyou’s unsettling reaction to him, the wolf demon continues.

 

“You’re once… twice… three times a lady,

…and I love you.”

 

He again brings his hand up to touch Kagome’s warm tinted cheeks finding himself getting lost in her dark cinnamon brown eyes, while InuYasha, feeling his control slowly fading, is beginning to softly growl.  (Stop messing with Kagome, damn it,) the hanyou thought angrily watching the wolf.  He takes a step toward the edge of the stage but is stopped by another band mate.

 

“What are you doing Yash?” whispers the band mate.  “You know Kouga’s just messing around, down there, right?  He means nothing by it.  So, calm down.”  InuYasha looks toward his band mate and after a minute, nods and steps back.

 

“Yes, you’re once… twice… three times a lady,

…and I love you.

 

Oh, yes, you’re once… twice… three times a lady,

…I love you.”

 

The young wolf demon is having too much fun teasing his band mate to back down now.  He’s also finding it quite difficult to leave the young woman’s side.  So, thinking he’s killing two birds with one stone, Kouga, looking deeply into Kagome’s questioning eyes, kneels, while holding her chin.  He gently rubs his thumb along her jaw line, resulting in Kagome blushing an even deeper red.  The wolf then finishes the song by singing the last phrase slowly and very passionately.

 

“I looove youuu.”

 

When the applause begins, Kouga slowly rises and, softly kisses Kagome’s cheek, while searching the young woman’s eyes with a question in his.  (Who are you?  Were you my soulmate in another life?  If so, I’d gladly claim yo…)  A sour note is heard from the bass, breaking the moment.  The wolf quickly looks up finding the hanyou glaring at him, baring his fangs.  Kouga tilts his head to the side and gives a cocky smile.  (Pissed you off good this time, huh Yash?)

 

The wolf demon turns to happily return to the stage.  “And that, ladies and gents, ends this very, heartfelt, moving performance, from the Time Travelers,” he says while removing his mic, and setting it to the side.  “I would have loved continuing this but even we band members do need a break now and again.  Our little group will return in half an hour to entertain you further, so please stick around…enjoy your food and drinks.  You’ll find none finer here in Tokyo.”  Kouga, knowing he hit his mark smiles while, saluting InuYasha, then quickly jumps from the stage before the hanyou could get any closer to him.  On his way out, the wolf pauses momentarily, to look over at Kagome.  (I’ll be seeing you again later.)  He slightly bows, gives a wink and then disappears among the crowd.

 

“Oh Kagome,” says Sango excitedly.  “I think that wolf really likes you.”

 

“I don’t think so Sango,” replies Kagome with a slight shake of her head.

 

“Why not?  Didn’t you notice the sultry come hither look in his eyes?  Hear the way he was singing his song so passionately.  I’m telling you he has the hots for you.”

 

“You’re wrong.  He could never be attracted to someone like me.  I’m too boring.  Besides he’s not even my type.”

 

“How would you know if you don’t even know what your type is?  If you’ll just open your mind, you’ll find lots of men are just waiting to be with you.”

 

“Uh huh.  And pigs fly.”

 

InuYasha walks over to set his guitar gently against the stand all the while growling.  (Fucking wolf.  Just who the hell does he think he is?  Coming onto MY Kagome like that.  Like she’d ever want anything to do with that mangy waste of fur.)  His eyes widen.  (What the hell?)  A look of curiosity and confusion suddenly crosses his face.  (Where, the fuck did that come from?  My Kagome?  Kagome’s not mine.  Never in a million years would she ever be interested in something like me.  We’re just friends…right?)  “Keh!”  The young hanyou gives another quiet growl before picking up his glass of whiskey, then jumps down from the stage and goes to his guest’s table.  “So, what did you, guys, think?” he asks pulling out a chair beside Kagome and sitting.  “Not too shabby huh?”

 

“I thought it was great,” says Kagome, cheerfully.

 

“Yeah, InuYasha,” says Sango, “you’re quite talented, aren’t you?”

 

“Nah, I don’t do much,” says the hanyou with a slight wave.  “Kouga does most of the singing and working the crowds.  Me?  I just stand around and play the bass.”

 

“Don’t sell yourself short, InuYasha,” says Miroku.  “You have lots of talent.  Without the bass, the songs wouldn’t have any depth to them and wouldn’t sound so good.  I only wish I could be as talented as you.”

 

“Try telling Kouga that, Miroku, “says the hanyou with a slight nod.  “The way he acts one would think he was a one-man band or something.”  InuYasha looks to the woman beside him.  “Speaking of Kouga, I hope he didn’t make you feel too uncomfortable, Kagome.  He was just being an ass as usual.”

 

“I’m alright InuYasha,” Kagome replies.

 

The hanyou nods and takes a sip of his drink before looking around the table.  “I almost gave up on you guys coming tonight.”

 

“Kagome couldn’t decide on what to wear,” says Miroku rolling his eyes.  “I guess women will always be like that, huh?”  Sango sharply elbows her husband and gives a stern look.  “What?!” he asks innocently while rubbing his ribs.  “What did I say?”

 

“Will you be quiet Miroku?” whispers Sango irritated.

 

“I think she looks nice actually,” says the hanyou smiling and pushing Kagome’s hair back behind her shoulder.  “Well worth the wait, if you ask me.  And besides, it’s been really hot lately so, an off the shoulder top is just what she needs.”

 

“It’s called a tube top, InuYasha,” says Sango informatively.  “Geez, don’t you guys know anything?”

 

“A tube top huh?  Well, whatever it’s called, Sango she looks really nice in it,” replies the hanyou and turns his attention to the other humans at the table.  “So, you guys sticking around for the next set?  We only play twice on Friday nights and then we party afterwards.  There’s a lot of dancing and partying.  You just might enjoy it.”

 

“Can we, Sango?” says Kagome hopefully.  “It sounds like fun.  And Miroku’s off tomorrow, isn’t he?”

 

“I can’t see why we can’t Kagome,” replies Sango.  “It’ll be nice watching you having fun, for once, and I certainly wouldn’t mind a dance, or two, myself.  We’ll make a night of it.”

 

“Hey, that sounds great!” smiles the hanyou.  “And I can’t think of anyone I’d rather dance with than you Kagome.”

 

The young woman gives a nod.  “Sure InuYasha.  I’d love to dance.”

 

“Then it’s a date.” 

 

“Well, if we’re all going to party tonight, I guess I’ll start my night off by ordering a drink now.”  Miroku with a strange glint in his eyes begins to stand.

 

Without turning, Sango grabs her husband’s wrist.  “Guess again husband.”

 

“But…Sango…” complains Miroku.  “I'm off tomorrow.  Can’t I have at least a little one?”

 

“No.  You’re going to watch the next performance and dance with me.  That’s it.  Besides, You know how bad you can get when you start drinking.  And you certainly won’t want to get wasted, with you driving home tonight, right?”

 

“Yeah you’re right,” says Miroku, disappointed, while plopping down in his seat.  “Guess I can’t.”  He then looks over at Kagome. Hopefully.  “Hey, Kagome.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“You wouldn’t mind driving us, home tonight, would you?”

 

“No I don’t mind,” replies the young woman with a shrug of her shoulders.

 

“Great!”  He again begins to stand to leave the table.  “Now that Kagome’s driving us home, I can start my night off right.  I’ll be back…”

 

“Sit down, Miroku!” commands Sango in a not so gentle tone of voice. 

 

“Sango…”

 

“You’re not drinking and that’s all there is to it!”

 

“But…Kagome said…”

 

“NO!”

 

“Awe,” says Miroku dejectedly again plopping down into his seat.  “Spoiled sport.”

 

With a smirk, the young hanyou watches the man sulk while lifting his glass to his lips.  (No fight huh?  Guess I know now who wears the pants in that marriage.)

 

“Hey, Yash!”

 

“Huh?” replies the hanyou looking up.  “What’s up Ri?”

 

A tall, thin man, with black hair and eyes jumps from the stage and walks up to the table.  “Did you see where Kouga went off to?”

 

“Outside probably!” replies the hanyou nodding toward the back entrance.  “You know how he’s got to have that nicotine in him before starting a performance.”

 

“Yeah, that’s true… thanks.”  The young man looks over and smiles at Kagome.  “So, who’re your friends here, Yash?  Gonna introduce us or are we too diseased to be round them?”

 

The hanyou lays his drink down on the table and clears his throat.  “These two are Miroku and Sango Houshi, and this lovely young lady, by my side, is Kagome Higurashi.  Guys, meet Rishu Otani, our all-around band mate.  He can play just about any instrument he sets his mind to.”

 

“Well, not everything,” says Rishu with a slight blush.

 

“Nice to meet you, Mr. Otani,” says Kagome politely with a slight nod.

 

“Awe, everyone just calls me Ri, miss.”

 

InuYasha looks around him.  “I don’t seem to see our drummer anywhere.”

 

“Oh, he took off with some dude a few minutes ago.  Said he’d be back in time for the next set.”

 

“I see.  Well, his name is Jakotsu Mitaki,” says InuYasha to the others at the table.  “We all work at the shop and come here on Fridays to blow off steam from the work week.”

 

“Yeah, some of us, more than others.  Well it was certainly a pleasure meeting you all,” says Rishu, with a slight bow and looks to the hanyou.  “There’s still fifteen minutes before the next set Yash.  So, I’m going to hang out with Kouga for a few.”

 

“That’s cool,” says InuYasha, picking up his drink.

 

“Yash?” asks Kagome watching Rishu walk off.  “I noticed Mr. Musaka calls you that as well.  Is that a nickname or something?”

 

“Sort of,” replies the hanyou with a slight shrug.  “It’s usually what I’ll answer to.  It sounds a hell of a lot better than my full name.”

 

“Well, I disagree,” says Kagome with a curt nod.  “I like InuYasha a whole lot better.”

 

“Yeah, but only you Kagome can make it sound nice,” says the hanyou with a wink.  “But anyone else just calls me Yash or Yasha.”  The small group continues making small talk for the next seven minutes.  The hanyou finishes his drink and stands.  “As much as I love sitting here with you guys, it’s my responsibility to check the amps for any problems before we start the next set.  It’s a drag but I’m the only one who knows how to set them up.”  He lifts his glass.  “Need to freshen this too.”  InuYasha smiles at Kagome who, for some reason, isn’t smiling as brightly as she was before.  “Remember fair maiden you owe me a dance, ok?  After this gig, I plan on collecting that debt.”

 

“I’ll, um, look forward to it, InuYasha,” says Kagome with a somewhat dimmer smile.  “You’d better keep your promise.”

 

“Oh, believe me, I intend to.”  The hanyou gives a bright smile as he walks off.  “See you, guys later!  Enjoy the show!”