InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ For the Love of a Child ❯ Kagome Begins to Heal ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 

After sitting in his car for several minutes, trying to figure out what he’d done to make Kagome so upset, InuYasha puts his car in gear and drives back to Kagome’s apartment building.  Once there, he sits staring up at the old structure until he sees Sango leaving the building.  He jumps from his car and runs to her.  “Hey, ya gotta sec?”

 

“Huh?”  Sango stops and turns toward the voice.  “Oh, hi!” she says with a slight wave to the hanyou.  “You’re um… you’re that Takehashi guy, aren’t you?”

 

“Guilty as charged,” replies the hanyou walking up to the woman.

 

“What brings you by?”

 

“I was wondering about Kagome.”

 

“Oh?  What about her?”

 

“I want to know if she got home safe?”

 

“Did she go out somewhere?”

 

“I took her out for breakfast this morning.  So is she alright?”

 

“Don’t know,” replies the woman with a slight shrug.  “Her door was locked when I went by her apartment so I thought she was still sleeping.”

 

“That’s strange,” says InuYasha rubbing the back of his neck.  “Wonder why she hasn’t made it back yet.  Kagome left the restaurant a half hour ago.”  The hanyou worriedly looks down at his watch.  “That should be plenty of time for her to get home.  So where else could she have gone off to if not here?”

 

“There’s always the park.” suggests Sango.

 

“The park huh?”

 

“Sure.  Kagome always goes there on nice days like this to watch the ducks and children.”

 

“Hey, thanks.  See you around.”  The hanyou runs and jumps back into his car to drive toward the park.  On his way to the park, InuYasha passes the cemetery and while casually looking over, finds a young dark-haired woman sitting by a grave.  “Kagome?” he whispers, slowing his vehicle to get a better look and then stops and leaves his car to walk over to her.

 

Kagome sits by Souta’s grave, crying while gently rubbing his stone.  “I just don’t know what to do with myself sweetie.  The apartment seems so quiet and empty without you there keeping me busy.  Guess I’ll never get used to it.” 

 

“I, had breakfast, this morning, with that nice man that was visiting us the day you…well when you left.  His name is InuYasha, and he’s a really great guy.  You would have liked him, Souta.  I know I do.  Wouldn’t mind seeing him again, except it’s just not possible.  Not now at least.  You see, he already has a girlfriend Souta and…well I kept him from going to work this morning.  He might even get fired so I don’t think he’ll want to see me anymore.  And who can blame him right?”  She gives a sad laugh.  “If he had any sense, he’d just stay away from me.  Not that I’d want him to, you see.  But I’m just some, big bad luck charm, no one should be around.  I don’t mean to hurt anybody Souta, really, I don’t.  I just hurt people without even trying.  I lost you, didn’t I even though I did my very best to keep you well and safe?”

 

Her face dawns a small sad smile.  “You know sweetie?  The day you were born…I can still remember it like it was yesterday.  You were so cute when they put your tiny body, in my arms, at the hospital.  You had the cutest little scrunched up face.  And boy was you ever loud.  It was like you were saying hey, look at me or look out world, I’m here!  It was love at first sight.  I loved you so much Souta, as much as if you were my very own child.”

 

“Your mother Lisa, and I were really close friends when she was alive.  I would do anything for her.”  Kagome looks over to the adjoining grave.  “Just as she would have done anything for me.”  The woman frowns.  “But then your father came into the picture.  Can you believe he’s still trying to talk to me?  I’d be happy if I never saw or heard from him again.  From the very first moment I met your father, I knew he’d be nothing but trouble but… your mother, she was just sooo in love with him that she just couldn’t see him for what he truly was…a darn parasite.  I just knew he was going to hurt your mother somehow but I couldn’t get up the courage to tell her …to warn her about him.  Fact is sweetie I was a coward.”  Kagome quietly sniffs.  “A big fat coward who just stood by while everything was falling apart around her.  Now she’s gone and you’re gone too so what’s left for me to live for?  You were my whole world, Souta.  My one and only reason for living!  Without you, life for me is meaningless.  It’s just too hard.  There’s no joy or happiness.”  A tear drops from Kagome’s eyes.  “I’d better go now, Souta,” Kagome says wiping her eyes.  “Before I over water your grave and kill the grass.  It’s what I’m best at, isn’t it…killing stuff?  Lisa…you…the grass…I’m poison to anyone I come in contact with.  Mama always told me I was born under a dark star…that I’m cursed.  Guess that’s what it means by mama always knows best huh?

 

Before I go sweetie, I want you to know I’ll always keep you here in my heart.  I’ll never forget you no matter what happens to me, I promise.”  Kagome wipes another tear from her eyes.  “I’ll um… Well I’ll come visit you every week, alright?  So, you won’t get too lonely.  Remember sweetie, I love you.”  The young woman gives a slight wave of her hand.  “See you later, Lisa.  Hope you and Souta are happy together.”

 

Wiping moisture from her eyes, Kagome awkwardly rises.  She turns and again walks into a hard body and feels two strong hands quickly reach out to steady her.

 

“I’m so sorry…really didn’t see you there.”  When Kagome looks up, she sees the hanyou staring at her curiously.  She lowers her gaze and attempts to walk around him.

 

InuYasha reaches to gently touch her shoulder.  “Kagome,” he says quietly, “are you alright?  Did I say or do something to upset you?”

 

“No InuYasha,” replies Kagome slightly shaking her head.  “It was me.  But I’ll be ok now.”

 

“You had me worried you know…when you left the restaurant like you did?  I thought I’d maybe hurt your feelings or something.”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“Don’t be sorry.  Just tell me what happened.  Why you left like that?”

 

“You needed to go to work InuYasha,” she replies with a slight shrug of her shoulders.  “I was keeping you from it.”

 

“No, you were too, upset for it to be just me and my work,” replies the hanyou, concerned.  “There’s something more going here, isn’t there?”

 

“Maybe.”  Kagome sadly looks back toward the stones and again shrugs her shoulders.  “But I don’t really think you’d understand it.”

 

“I would try Kagome,” says InuYasha reaching to dry a tear from the young woman’s eyes.  “I mean, how will you know if I’ll understand or not unless you tell me?” he says encouragingly.  “I’ve been told I’m a really good listener.”

 

Kagome sadly looks up at the hanyou.  “I’m always hurting people, InuYasha.”

 

“What?” asks the hanyou disbelievingly.

 

“It’s true.  I hurt the people I’m fond of like… like Lisa and Souta…and you.”

 

“How?”

 

“Well…Lisa died because I was a coward.  Because I was too afraid to tell her what I thought about her boyfriend.  Souta was taken from me as punishment for something I must have done wrong and…now you may lose your job because you were so kind to me today.  I can only hope you can forgive me for that.”

 

“And?”

 

“That’s it.  I’m just no good InuYasha.  If you were smart, you’d run away from me, get as far from me as you can.  Because I’m cursed InuYasha, and no good for anyone to be around.”

 

“If that’s true, then what about Miroku and Sango?” asks InuYasha.

 

“What about them?”

 

“Well, you’re around them, aren’t you?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Do you hurt them too?”

 

“Not directly, no.  But I’m just a burden to them InuYasha,” replies Kagome wiping another tear from her eyes.  “Always taking their time by asking them to do something or take me somewhere.”

 

“And they tell you no I take it.”

 

Kagome gives a slight shake of her head.  “They’d never do that.  No matter what, Miroku always goes out of his way to help and protect me.  He almost got into trouble the other night, for hitting a cab driver… all because of me.”

 

“I see,” says InuYasha.  “I suppose you forced him into doing this, right?”

 

“No!” exclaims Kagome.  “I’d never...  It’s just that…”

 

“Oh,” the hanyou nods.  “I see.  And the woman?  How did you hurt her?”

 

Kagome gives a slight laugh.  “Sango’s like a mother hen really.  I’m always making her worry though I don’t mean to.  Like last Friday.  I took you home with me even though she didn’t want me to.”

 

“She didn’t?”

 

“Only because she thought you were dangerous InuYasha.”

 

The hanyou slightly shakes of his head.  “Well, I don’t know about you Kagome but to me, it sounds like they’re really good friends to have by your side.”

 

“Oh, they are!” explains Kagome anxiously.  “Don’t get me wrong.  They’re the best friends a person, like me, could ever have.  It’s just with me being what I am, I um…”  Tears once again fill the young woman’s eyes.  “I just can’t help it.”

 

“Come here,” commands the hanyou gently pulling the sad young woman toward him.  Wrapping his arms lightly around her body, he places his chin on top her head, and stares out across the silent graveyard.  “I think you’re placing way too much guilt on yourself, Kagome.”

 

“You’re wrong,” replies Kagome with a sniff.  “I am to blame.  Just look at what I’ve done to people so far.”

 

“Alright, let’s look at that.  Now this Lisa, do you actually believe she would have listened if you had said anything against her boyfriend?  Be truthful.”

 

“Maybe,” replies Kagome with a slight shrug of her shoulders.  “No, I guess not.  Lisa loved him dearly and… she was just as stubborn as I am.”

 

“Ok, so what about the boy?”

 

“What about him?”

 

“Was it you who caused his illness…made him sick?”

 

“Souta was a preemie InuYasha, born with a defective heart.  There was a valve that didn’t form right or something, so it was weak.  I tried so hard to keep him alive and healthy.  So hard to keep him happy.  Yet despite everything I did for him I failed.  I broke my promise and failed Souta.”

 

“So, breaking your promise to the boy…that’s what killed him?”

 

“It had to be.”

 

“Sound like bullshit to me Kagome.”

 

“It’s not.  I didn’t just promise Souta, InuYasha.  I made a promise to Lisa too.  Too see to it Souta lived a long and happy life.  When he was born, InuYasha, my mom, gramps, the doctors…everyone kept telling me not to take him…that he wouldn’t live very long and would only be a burden to me.”

 

“Yet you took him anyway, right?” InuYasha quietly asks.

 

“Um hmm,” replies Kagome with a nod.  “Souta was Lisa’s child, and I loved him so very much.  I wanted to be his mother to raise and protect him, keep him happy like Lisa would have.  So, no matter what anyone told me, I kept Souta with me from the very day he was released from the hospital.  Everything I ever did was for him InuYasha. Everything.  But my everything still wasn’t good enough.  Souta died… and left me.  Don’t you see?  I killed him.”

 

“You didn’t kill him, Kagome.”

 

“Yes I did.”

 

“No… you didn’t.  Listen Kagome.  No matter if you’re human, demon or even a hanyou, everyone dies eventually,” says the hanyou.  “We can try to protect our loved ones, keep them safe and close but no matter what we do or how hard we try we still lose them.  It’s just the way life is.”

 

“I know but,” replies the young woman with a nod.  “Souta was so young, and defenseless.  There must have been something more I could have done for him.  Something that…”

 

“And that’s what the doctor told you, was it?”

 

“Huh?  Uh no… he didn’t.  But he could have been lying to me, trying to spare my feelings.”

 

“I don’t think so, Kagome.  Remember I was there that night when you took him to the hospital.  I saw how worried you were for him.  You acted like any mother would, when their child is in danger… you found help for the boy, as fast as you could.  And hanyou’s Kagome are very sensitive.  Sensitive to feelings.  I felt your fear that night, fear for the boy.  And saw how you didn’t just leave him alone somewhere to die, even though he wasn’t your child.”

 

“Leave him alone?  There’s no way I could have ever done that!” replies Kagome anxiously, pushing away from the hanyou.  “No matter whose child it is.  If I see any child that needs my help…I’ll do whatever I can to help them.”

 

“And that’s the very reason I believe you took care of your son as well as any mother would, Kagome.  Even better than some mothers I’ve, unfortunately, known in the past.”

 

“Really?  You’re not just saying that?”

 

“Of course not,” the hanyou slowly nods.  “And do you want to know something else?”  Kagome gives a slight nod of her head.  “Just as you loved the boy, the boy loved you too.”

 

“How could you know something like that?” asks Kagome curiously looking up at the hanyou.  “You were with Souta only a few minutes at best.”

 

“I know but…well let’s just say he said something to me, that night, as I was trying to dress him.”

 

“What?” asks Kagome hopefully looking in his eyes.  “Please, InuYasha, what did he say?”

 

“I don’t know if I should Kagome.  It was a man-to-man statement, if you know what I mean.  I can tell you though, what he said was something which told me, you were a great mom to him.  That he knew you were doing your very best to keep him alive, safe and happy.”

 

“He said all that?”

 

“Not in so many words but… well yeah, he did.  The boy was smart, Kagome, smarter than most boys his age.  He knew he was dying.  At least he sensed it.”  The young woman looks away and the hanyou takes her chin, forcing her to look in his eyes.  “But that boy loved you so damn much Kagome.  He knew it was you who kept him alive.  You who kept him safe and happy despite his defect.  If you ask me, because of you, he lived a lot longer than others would ever have expected him to.  The boy turned out to be a really great kid Kagome.  And there’s no one who can convince me otherwise.”

 

“Thanks InuYasha,” says Kagome with a slight smile.  “With everything that’s happened, it’s what I really needed to hear the most.  Knowing he didn’t think of me as a failure, means a lot to me.”

 

“I only told the truth, Kagome,” the young hanyou smiles.

 

Kagome takes the hanyou’s hand and smiles.  “I want to thank you, InuYasha for being there for Souta.  My son didn’t trust too many people, but he must have trusted you a great deal for him to tell you what he did.  You must have made his passing a little easier for him.”

 

“I was happy to have been there for him Kagome.”

 

“I really do hope you didn’t get fired today because of me.  But if that should happen, you can always stay at my place until you find another job.”

 

“There’s no need to worry about me,” says InuYasha confidently.  “I sure I can survive one day without going in.  I’ve done it before.”

 

The young woman gives a smile.  “Yeah, but I don’t believe you’ve ever told your boss to do THAT to himself…have you?”

 

“Sure have,” replies the hanyou shrugging his shoulders.  “Lots of times.”

 

“And you still have your job?”  Kagome giggles.  “Must be a really kind and understanding boss to put up with it.”

 

“Sure is,” the hanyou brightly smiles.  “Best boss around, in fact.  So now that you seem to be finished here, fair maiden, where can this lowly vassel take you now?”

 

“Home,” replies Kagome.

 

“Are you sure?  It’s nice out and I wouldn’t mind taking you somewhere else.  I have lots of time to kill.”

 

Kagome shakes her head.  “No, you’ve done enough for me, already InuYasha.  I’m really exhausted, so would you mind taking me home now?”

 

“Well, if that is indeed your desire, fair maiden, then come,” the young hanyou deeply bows before the young woman, waving his hand toward his car causing Kagome to blush and giggle.  “Your carriage awaits.”

 

“Why thank you, kind sir,” replies Kagome with a curtsy and a smile.  “Your kindness will be greatly appreciated.”

 

InuYasha laughs and takes Kagome’s hand to lead her to his car and drives her home.  After climbing the three flights of stairs to her apartment, they find a note stuck on her door.  Kagome takes it down to read it.

 

Kagome,

 

I know I came on a little too strong this morning.  I was just surprise when I saw you had a guest.  I would like to believe he’s a friend of Lisa’s who had heard of the kid’s passing and wanted to pay his respects.  I’m assuming he’s gone now, and would like to come over to talk.  We can comfort each other in this, our time of need.  The kid was my son too, after all.  I’ll come by later in the week, to discuss our situation.

 

Again, I would like to say how very sorry I am for the way I acted this morning and will try to be on my best behavior when I see you again.

 

I love you my sweet,

 

Houjo

 

Kagome angrily shreds the note.

 

“Bad news, Kagome?” asks InuYasha curiously.

 

The young woman heavily sighs.  “You could say that.”

 

“Is there anything I can do?”

 

“No, that’s alright.”  She turns toward the hanyou and smiles.  “Thanks for seeing me home, InuYasha.  I’ll be all right now.”

 

The hanyou gently lifts her chin to look into her eyes concerned.  “Are you sure there’s nothing more I can do for you?  I can stay if you want.”

 

“I’ll be fine, so don’t worry about me.”

 

“Alright, if you’re sure.

 

“I am.  Um…if I can get a ride next weekend, I’ll try to go see your performance.”

 

“I’m gonna hold you to that.  I’ll be looking for you.”  InuYasha leans down and lightly kisses her forehead while placing a slip of paper in her hand.  “Here’s my number at work if you should need me.  Use it, ok?”  Kagome nods.  “I mean it, Kagome.  If at any time you should need me, for anything… call.  I’ll be here as fast as I can.”

 

“I know, you will,” replies the young woman with a small smile.  “And thanks again for…well you know.”

 

“Anytime fair maiden.  It’s what friends are for.”

 

“Right!” replies Kagome with a curt nod.

 

The hanyou smiles as he walks away.  “See ya later, then!”

 

Kagome watches the young half demon climb down the stairs then gives a small wave of her hand and a sad smile.  “I really do wish you all the best, InuYasha.  You deserve it.”  She walks into her apartment and quietly closes the door.

 

InuYasha walks to and climbs into his car, placing the key into the ignition.  “Man, what a morning,” he says.  “But I must admit breakfast was really great.”  Before starting the engine, the hanyou looks up at the old structures before him and smiles.  “This place doesn’t look all that bad in the daylight.  It looks kind of dead but with brighter paint it could look as good as new.  I wonder if Kagome’ll keep her promise and come to the club.”  He slightly shakes his head while giving a laugh.  “Yeah right.  What am I thinking?  Of course, she won’t.  A nice girl like her wouldn’t want to be seen with something like me.  No that’s nothing more than a pipe dream.”  The hanyou sighs, turns the key and heads for home.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

It’s a bright sunny day when Kagome finally decides to leave her apartment.  She ventures downtown and looking around finds the sidewalks teaming with, humans, demons, and some half demons, young and old, talking and laughing as they go their separate ways.  There are many motorcycles, bicycles and a variety of automobiles seen driving by; some occupied by very rude and impatient drivers.  The young woman shakes her head and smiles.  (How can Miroku drive in all that, as crowded as it is?)

 

Kagome makes her way along the sidewalk, smiling while watching the activities of those around her, until she stops to look in an exclusive store window, to stare wistfully at all the expensive clothing, sparkling jewelry and other items she sees on display and knowing she’ll never own.  She sighs and shakes her head and is about to continue her walk, when she suddenly notices something odd, in the glass reflection.  Someone, who’s not quite human, along with a friend, is leaving an establishment from across the street.

 

“A demon?”  She turns to curiously look toward the establishment.  (That was a demon, right,) she thought curiously?  (Guess it’s ok for demons to be in town after all.  Wonder what kind of place that is?)  She takes a closer look at the old gray brick structure the demon had just left.  (Looks sort of like some kind of garage.)  Kagome walks down the sidewalk until she is standing across from the establishment.  (From the way that demon was dressed he must be a mechanic of some sort.  Come to think of it, didn’t InuYasha say he was a mechanic?  Wonder if he works in there.)  Looking up at the old weather-beaten sign hanging over the door, she reads the name of the establishment.  “Taka…she Motors.”  (Must be the name of who he’s working for.  InuYasha did say his boss was kind of nice.  But how do I go about finding out if that’s the right place or not?”  Kagome looks up and down the street, noticing a nearby Italian eatery.  An idea forms and she smiles.  “Surely this Mr. Takashe wouldn’t mind if I just popped in for a minute or two to say hi.  That way I’ll know if InuYasha’s working there or not.)  “It’s worth a try I guess.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Damn it why…don’t … you fucking… move already?!” growls the hanyou trying his best to turn a rather stubborn bolt.  “Did the bastard weld you in here or something?  Move damn it!”

 

The young hanyou is having a particularly hard day.  He just can’t seem to rid his mind of the young woman he was with a few days before.  He stops for a minute to wipe the sweat from his brow.  (For it to be spring it sure is fucking hot in here.  I’m sweating like a fucking pig.  Hope Kagome’s home and out of this heat.  I’m finding it hard to take and I’m a half demon.  I can only imagine what it’s doing to those humans out there.

 

“Wonder what Kagome’s thinking right now?  Is she worrying about me working in this heat?  I hate to admit it, but it would be kind of nice if she were.  It would be like I was sort of important to her…special.  It’d be a first for me that’s for sure.)  The young hanyou smirks while shaking his head.  (Nah.  Never gonna happen.  We’ve only seen each other what…twice now?  That’s not enough time for her to have developed any feelings for me.  I’m still just a stranger to her.  She’s probably forgotten all about my ass by now.

 

Kagome was having a hard time dealing with the boy’s death though.  I don’t think she’d do anything again to harm herself but…well it would be kind of nice to know if she’s alright or not, that she’s safe.  I had a really great time with her at the diner last week.  I wouldn’t mind doing it again.  Come to think of it, KiKyo’s out of town today meaning I’m free to do whatever I want.  So, after we close shop this evening I’ll go run by Kagome’s place for a visit, maybe take her to the diner again for dinner.  That would be fun.)  InuYasha turns his attention back to his work, and while again trying to loosen the bolt, his sweating hand slips causing him to scrape his knuckles hard against the motor.

 

“Shit!” growls InuYasha, angrily throwing his tool against the motor.  “You damn bitch!”  He licks his knuckles to ease the pain.  “That fucking hurt!  That’s the second damn time you’ve made me do that today you sorry piece of shit.”  He angrily looks down at the offending machine.  “You’re enough to make any mechanic go crazy, you know that?  What the hell’s wrong with you anyway?!”  He hears a slight giggle, startling him.  “Hm?”

 

“Honestly InuYasha, you can’t actually be waiting for it to answer, are you?” asks an amused feminine voice.

 

“What?!”  The hanyou quickly raises his head, bumping it against the raised hood of the car.  “Damn it!”  He rubs his head as he straightens, finding the distraction, plaguing his mind standing before him and smiling.  “Oh, um, hi Kagome!” he says quickly grabbing a nearby towel to wipe his hands.  “This is certainly a surprise.  What brings you here?”

 

“I was in town InuYasha and thought you might be hungry.”  Kagome raises a basket.  “So, I bought you lunch to pay you back for your kindness the other day.”

 

(Maybe she was worried about me after all.)  “Oh, you didn’t have to do that.”

 

“I know, but I wanted to.  After all you do have to eat.”  She lays the basket aside and reaches for his head.  “So, are you ok?”

 

“Huh?” asks the hanyou taking a quick step back.

 

Kagome nods toward his skull.  “Your head?  Does it hurt?”

 

“Oh, that,” replies InuYasha with a slight laugh raising his hand to rub his head, “nah, my noggin is kind of hard.”

 

“I see.  Just another reason why your family lives so long, huh?”

 

“Guess so,” the hanyou replies shrugging his shoulders.

 

Kagome walks closer to the automobile to look under the hood.  “It sounded like you were really angry InuYasha; like you wanted to kill this machine.”

 

“Not angry exactly,” replies the hanyou.  “Just a little frustrated with it, is all.  I can’t figure why she won’t turn over.”

 

“Oh?” says Kagome looking up.  “Is she supposed to… turn over, I mean?”

 

“Well, yeah,” replies the hanyou.  “It’s the only way to get a car started.  But it seems this, one,” InuYasha kicks the tire, “wants to be stubborn.”

 

“Oh.  You think a backyard mechanic may have gotten to it already?”

 

“It sure looks that way Kagome.  But I refuse to give up on it.”

 

“That’s the spirit, InuYasha.  Just keep at it and I’m sure it’ll turn over for you in no time at all.”

 

“Yeah well…maybe.”

 

“You know …it might be best if you put this aside for a while and ate something,” suggests Kagome.  “You’d have a much better chance in fixing it on a full stomach.”  She looks around her. 

 

“Looking for something?” asks the hanyou curiously.

 

“Mr. Takashe.”

 

“Who?”

 

“Takashe?  You know your boss?” says Kagome with a slight giggle. 

 

“Where did you get that name from?” asks the hanyou with a smirk.

 

“Well duh.  His name is on the sign outside.”

 

The hanyou slowly nods and smiles, “oh the sign.” 

 

“Yep.  I can read, you know.”  The young woman looks around them.  “I wanted to ask him if it’s ok for me to have lunch with you?”

 

“Oh, I see.  Well, I really don’t think Mr. Takeha…um Takashe would mind Kagome.  And if he does I’ll…”

 

“I know, I know,” says Kagome, quickly raising a hand, “you’ll tell him to do something to himself which is physically impossible for him to do.  Right?”  The hanyou smirks and nods.  “Did anyone ever tell you, you have a most colorful language, InuYasha?”

 

“I’m sorry my language offends you Kagome,” replies InuYasha.  “It’s a bad habit of mine really to just say what comes to mind.  Usually when I’m angry.  But I promise I’ll try to curb my tongue when I’m around you from now on ok?”

 

“Don’t bother,” says Kagome with a dismissive wave.  “I’ve heard worse before, believe me.”

 

“No, no, you’re a lady, and should be treated as such.”  The hanyou leans over to whisper.  “Besides, if I don’t mind my manners, you just might go running to Tumi and he’ll take you away from me.”

 

“No need to worry about that InuYasha,” laughs Kagome shaking her head.  “Married men don’t interest me.”

 

“Really?” asks the hanyou surprised.  “They don’t?”

 

“You look surprised.”

 

“I am kind of.  It’s always been my experience; most of you human females like to fool around on the side, every once in a while.”

 

“Well not me.  I’m not the fooling around type at all.”

 

“Have you ever been tempted to?”

 

“What?”

 

“Fool around?”

 

“Nope.  It’s always been my policy to never date any man if he’s married.”  The woman again looks around her.  “Now then, where do you think we should sit and eat?”

 

“Let’s see.  A lady, such as yourself, shouldn’t have to eat in a filthy place like this,” replies the half demon smiling and waving his hand around.  “It just wouldn’t do.  So, let’s go eat in the office instead.”

 

“Are you sure?  Your boss might…”

 

“I’ve already told you, didn’t I?  He’s very understanding,” replies the hanyou and crosses his fingers.  “We’re like this.”

 

“Oh.  Ok,” says Kagome, “if you’re sure he won’t mind.”

 

“Oh he won’t.  Believe me.  Besides, you’re probably the loveliest woman to ever grace his doorway in a long while if ever.”  The hanyou allows the blushing young woman to walk through the door, of the office, before him and quickly reaches around her to get a chair.  “So, what’s on the menu today, fair maiden?” the hanyou asks, taking the basket and placing it down on the desk.  “Steak… caviar?”

 

“On my budget?” replies the woman with a small laugh.  “Hardly.  It’s just good ole pizza and soda today.  That is all right with you, isn’t it?”

 

“Don’t know.  Let’s see.”  The hanyou reaches into the basket and takes out a slice of pizza, putting it in his mouth.  His face takes on a look of blissful contemplation.  “Mmmm, sure tastes like steak to me Kagome,” he says with a smile.  “Finest I’ve ever tasted.  But instead of soda, would you mind if I drink something a little different?”

 

“I don’t mind,” replies Kagome with a slight shrug of her shoulders.  “What do you have?”

 

“Just whiskey,” the hanyou replies leaning down to take a bottle filled with the amber liquid from his desk drawer.  “It helps make my day go faster.”  When the hanyou pulls the cork from the bottle he looks up noticing a distant look entering the young woman’s eyes.  “Oh I’m sorry.  Would you like some?”

 

“Oh, no I’m good.”  Kagome stands and walks around the room to look at the many items on display situated on different shelves.

 

InuYasha takes a sip from the bottle.  “So, um, Kagome…you in town for any particular reason?”

 

“Not really,” she replies shrugging her shoulders.  “There sure are a lot of trophies here, InuYasha.  Basketball, baseball, wrestling, you’re really active, aren’t you?”

 

“Not me,” the hanyou replies leaning back in his chair.  “A lot of those are Kouga’s.  He’s a wolf demon that works here.  He’s always got to be competing in something or he’s just not happy.”

 

“Kouga.  He must have been the demon I saw leaving here earlier.”  Kagome picks up a wrestling trophy to read the inscription.

 

“Yep.  That’s him alright.”

 

“Do you like working with him?”

 

“He has his moments, I guess.”  InuYasha takes a deep swallow, from his bottle, and wipes his mouth with the back of his hand.  “Now that one over there Kagome is mine,” the hanyou proudly says nodding toward one shelf in particular where sits a rather large trophy.  “I won the swordsmanship competition last year.”

 

“Really?  That’s impressive,” says Kagome walking toward the trophy in question.  “But um isn’t sword fighting the same as fencing?”

 

“Not really,” replies InuYasha.  “Fencing is for lightweights.  The competitions I compete in are a lot more dangerous.  It’s a great way for me to hone and show off my skills.”

 

“Sounds exciting.  Is it just for demons or can anyone enter?”

 

“Just about anyone can enter, I guess.  You wanting to compete?”

 

“Who me?  No, I’m afraid a kitchen knife is about all I can handle.  But I would love to watched you compete sometime.”

 

The young hanyou feels a certain amount of pride at Kagome’s words, yet is puzzled as to why his heartbeat would change so erratically.  “The um, next competition, Kagome, I’ll be sure to take you with me.  It really is something to see.”

 

“But what about your girlfriend?”

 

“Who?”

 

“KiKyo?  She’ll be kind of angry with you taking another woman along, won’t she?”

 

The young hanyou is taken aback by the question.  He has never once thought to ask his woman slash roommate if she’d like to watch a competition, or not.  “I’m not really sure Kagome.  Guess I’ll have to ask her.”

 

“No, you’d better not InuYasha,” says Kagome with a slight shake of her head.  “Asking her can only start problems with your relationship and I don’t want to be the reason she becomes angry with you.”

 

“Are you always this protective?” asks the hanyou curiously, “always watching out for the other person?”

 

“Guess so,” replies Kagome still looking at the trophies.  “I’ve been like this for as long as I can remember.”

 

“But what about you Kagome?  What is it you want?”

 

The young woman notices a single intricately carved wooden box sitting alone on a shelf and walks toward it.  “What’s this InuYasha?”

 

“That?” replies the hanyou.  “Just something I made.”

 

“You made that?  It’s beautiful.”  Kagome reaches for the strange box.  “What’s in it?”

 

“Don’t touch it!” he yells, unintentionally sounding angry. 

 

“I’m sorry,” Kagome replies anxiously lowering her hand and stepping back.  “I was just curious about it InuYasha.  I didn’t mean any harm.”

 

“No, don’t be sorry Kagome,” says the hanyou feeling shamed.  “I really shouldn’t have yelled at you like that.  It’s just that particular box is very special to me.  I don’t want anyone touching it.”

 

“I see.  Well, I shouldn’t be so nosy anyway.  It’s a rather bad habit of mine.  But that really is a beautiful box InuYasha.  It takes a lot of talent to create something as beautifully intricate as that.”

 

“Thanks.  It took me a long to time to make it.  So, Kagome do you want to answer my question now?”

 

“What question?”

 

“What do you want?”

 

“Food.”  Kagome walks to the desk, reaches into the basket and pulls out a large slice of pizza.  “I’m starved and pizza should be eaten warm.  Could you hand me a can of soda please?”

 

The hanyou reaches in the basket and takes out a can and hands it to her.  He then leans back in his chair and sips his whiskey, watching the young woman sitting before him munching on her slice of pizza.  (What is it about her,) he thought curiously?  (She’s not, like any of the other bitches I’ve been with…doesn’t even come close.  She seems…different… no, more like…interesting.  She’s certainly someone I would like to get to know better.  I wonder if she really is as innocent as she seems?  Probably not.  Probably lied about her being a virgin.  But why?  To impress me?)

 

“Are you full, InuYasha?” asks Kagome.

 

“Hm?”

 

“The pizza.  There’s plenty more here so we shouldn’t let it go to waste.  It doesn’t taste very good when you have to reheat it, so eat up.”

 

“Oh, um, ok.”  The hanyou reaches in the basket and grabs another slice of pizza.  (I sure would like to eat something else though.  And hopefully it will happen very soon.)

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

An hour later, after the last slice of pizza is eaten Kagome picks up the trash, closes the basket and stands.  “I’d better be going now, InuYasha.”

 

“So soon?  You just got here.”

 

“Not really.  I’ve been here for over an hour now.  Which means it’s probably time for you to get back to work.  I don’t want to be in your way so I’ll just leave now.”

 

“Well wait a minute, Kagome and I’ll drive you home.”  The hanyou quickly places the cork in his bottle, placing it back in the drawer.  He stands and walks around the desk.  “It’s awfully hot out there and I don’t want you walking around in that heat.”

 

“Thanks,” replies Kagome.  “But I really do need to walk.”

 

“Are you sure?  I wouldn’t mind taking you home.”

 

“I know but I came to town to get away from the apartment.  It was closing in on me, you know?  I’m glad I got to have lunch with you though.  It was fun.”

 

“Yeah, it was, wasn’t it?” says InuYasha smiling.  “But it’s ending way too soon for my taste.  So, about the club Kagome?  Still planning to come watch us play?”

 

“Yep,” replies Kagome with a nod.  “The Houshi’s and I wouldn’t miss it for the world.  But we won’t be able to make it this weekend, like I thought because Miroku has to work late.  So, we’re planning on going a week from Friday.”

 

“A week from Friday, huh?!  Sounds great!  I’ll be sure to mark my calendar and save a table for you.”

 

“Is there a dress code, of some sort, we should be aware of?” says Kagome excitedly.  “Like should we wear long dresses or the like

 

“Nah everything’s pretty informal there.”  InuYasha leans back against his desk while giving a slight laugh.  “You should see some of the get ups I’ve seen.  I mean they can get really creative at times.  Although, Kagome,” The hanyou pushes from the desk and leans in to whisper, “Just between you and me, I wouldn’t mind if you went wearing nothing at all.”  He quickly kisses Kagome’s cheek and stands back.

 

Kagome blushes, raising a hand to her cheek while looking up into the hanyou’s bright laughing eyes.  “Is that, um, what your girlfriend wears InuYasha, when she goes to watch you?”

 

“Wouldn’t know,” replies the half demon with a slight shrug of his shoulders, “KiKyo’s never been to the club before.”

 

“You mean she’s never seen you perform?”

 

“That’s about the size of it.  See, KiKyo’s more the physical type, who sort of has her own ideas where entertainment is concerned, if you catch my drift.”

 

“Oh, um…well.”  Kagome blushes while shaking her head then picks up the basket and walks toward the door.  “That’s just a little too much information for me, InuYasha.  So, on that note, I’m taking my leave of you.”  Kagome places her hand on the doorknob, but pauses to look back.  “You’re a good man, InuYasha.  I hope you know that.”

 

“You really think so Kagome?” asks the hanyou curiously.

 

“Yep,” replies Kagome with a curt nod.  “KiKyo sure is one lucky woman to have a man like you at her side.”

 

“I thought Sango was the only lucky woman in your book,” says the hanyou curiously.

 

“Nothing wrong with there being two now is there?”

 

“No, I guess not.”

 

Kagome opens the office door.  “I’ll be seeing you a week from Friday, ok?!  See ya!” she says smiling while giving a small wave and leaves the office.

 

The hanyou amazed at what he’d just heard, stands staring at the door.  He smiles and runs his tongue over his lips and fangs.  “Oh, yeah Kagome.  I’ll be there alright…waiting for ya,” he whispers a spark of interest entering his eyes.  “Just don’t you forget about me.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~