InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ For the Love of a Child ❯ First Date...Maybe? ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 

The next morning, Kagome is rudely awakened by the ringing of her phone.  (Sounds like the phone is finally working.  It sure, took them long enough to fix it though.)  Kagome snuggles deeper into her blankets, sighs and closes her eyes.  (Whatever.  I want to sleep.  If it’s really that important, they’ll call back, I’m sure.)  Kagome tightly closes her eyes, ignoring the ringing of her phone, but when the annoying sound continues, she with eyes still closed, slowly reaches out to pick up the receiver.

 

“Hello?” she says groggily.

 

“Kagome?” replies a very unsettling voice.

 

(Awe, jeez,) thought the young woman rolling her eyes.  (Just what I need first thing in the morning.  To listen to his b.s.)

 

“Hey sweetheart, it’s me.  Houjo!”

 

“What do you want?” she growls while sitting up.

 

“Just to talk.  I um… heard about the kid Kagome.”

 

“Did you now?”

 

“Uh, yeah.  I was wondering how you’re doing?”

 

“I’m doing just fine, Houjo.  Is that all?”

 

“Well, um no.  Not exactly.  I wanted to know if you’d like to get together today.”

 

“Whatever for?”

 

“For comfort… support,” explains Houjo.  “I know this time must be really hard on you sweetheart and I’d like to come by and take you out.  Perhaps ease some of your burden…your pain.”

 

“I’m afraid, comfort is a very foreign word to you Houjo.  I don’t even think you know what that word means.”

 

“I know what it means.”

 

“Oh really?  You could have fooled me.  You didn’t come to the service yesterday.”

 

“Oh uh, yeah, about that,” says Houjo uneasily.  “There was this bit of business that needed my attention yesterday and….”

 

“Business?”

 

“That’s right.  Oh, believe me, sweetheart I really did want to be there for you but I just couldn’t get away from the office in time.  And Tory, well she wouldn’t understand and would start asking way too many questions if I...”

 

“Oh yes…Tory, your poor wife.  I hope she’s doing alright.”

 

“Yeah, she is but I called about you not her.”

 

“What about me?”

 

“I was worried about you sweetheart.  Losing the kid and all.  I want to help you get through it.”

 

“Look Houjo, I appreciate you concern but I’m not sure what it is you hoping to accomplish in calling me like this.  It was Souta who needed your concern…you help.  And he needed it BEFORE he died.”

 

“I know sweetheart and I’m so sorry about that.”

 

“Kind of late to be feeling sorry don’t you think?”

 

“That’s why I want to come over now, to make amends for past mistakes.  I want to show you just how sorry I am by being there for you, to hold you, and give you a comforting shoulder to cry on.”

 

“Uh huh,” says Kagome disbelievingly.  “Why should you be sorry?  According to you, Souta wasn’t even your child.  You made that perfectly clear to me and everyone else in the restaurant, last Friday when you refused to give us more help.”

 

“Yeah,” Houjo replies uneasily.  “I’m ashamed of myself for what I said to you that night.  I don’t know what got into me.  It was cruel to have spoken to you the way I did.  So, what do you say Kagome?  Go out with me this morning?  Just so we can talk these things out.”

 

“What things would that be?”

 

“Oh, you know sweetheart.  Things like what happened between us the other night.  Things that were said and left unsaid between us.  I’ve thought long and hard about that night Kagome and I just don’t feel comfortable about how we ended things at the club,” replies Houjo.  “Pressuring you the way I did.  It was simply inexcusable.  If fact, Kagome, you were right saying I was acting like a complete ass.  But I’ve changed sweetheart.  I’m no longer the same man I was last Friday.  And to prove I’ve changed, I want to make amends for all the mistakes I’ve made… to say I’m sorry for all the cruel and harsh words I said.  But apologizing over the phone just isn’t enough.  I want to see you, to have a chance to properly apologize to you so we can, bury the hatchet and all that.”

 

(I know where I’d like to bury that hatchet.)  “You do know I buried Souta yesterday, right?”

 

“Yes, I know.”

 

“And you know where he’s buried?”

 

“Well um…not exactly.  But I figure you must have buried him alongside his mother, correct?”

 

“That’s right.  Souta’s buried next to Lisa.  You should know where that is so go to the cemetery and visit them sometime.  Apologize to them for the wrongs you’ve done to them.”

 

“Uh, yes!  Of course.  I’ll do that when I get the chance.”

 

“Now, there shouldn’t be any reason for you to contact me again, right?

 

“But that’s just not true Kagome.  You’re important to me.  Very important.  I want to come by to show you the respect you deserve and show just how much I understand, what you’re going through.  It’s what any friend would do at a time like this, isn’t that right?”

 

“Friends yes.  You, Houjo, are no friend of mine.”

 

“Of course, I am.  Oh, I know I didn’t act like much of a friend last Friday, Kagome.  But like I’ve said, I’ve changed.  I am a friend, who wants nothing more than to comfort you.  You understand don’t you?  We need to be with each other sweetheart.

 

“You’re not making much sense Houjo.  Why this sudden urgency for us to get together now?  Souta was the one you’d wronged the most.  He needed you and you just simply didn’t care.”

 

“I care.  But sweetheart, the boy’s dead.  There’s nothing I can do for him now.  It’s you I’m more concerned about.  It’s you who needs me.  I can be there for you now any time day or night.”

 

“You’re right about one thing Houjo.  My son is gone.  The funeral’s over.  There’s nothing more that needs said or done.  As far as being there for me?  I never needed that.  I don’t need it now.”

 

“Don’t be that way sweetheart.  I know you’re hurting.  You’ve been in pain since the funeral.  I wish I could have been there to help you though it…”

 

“Houjo.  I managed to get through the whole service, pretty well without you.  So, your presence there wasn’t really necessary to hold me or otherwise.  So, keep your insincere apology Houjo, alright?  I don’t need it, your shoulder, or anything else from you.”

 

“You do need me, Kagome.  More than you realize.  If you’ll just list…”

 

“No, you listen.  Souta was the one you should have been concerned with in the first place Houjo.  It was him who needed your help and support.  But you just denied him both.  So if you really want to apologize to someone, go down to the cemetery and apologize to my son.  And while you’re at it, apologize to Lisa as well.  You’ll find them buried together at the cemetery.  I’m sure you’ll find it.  Just remember where the last funeral you and I went was held.”

 

“I really don’t know what the problem is here Kagome,” says Houjo soothingly.

 

“Oh, you don’t?  Well let me clarify it for you.  I don’t like you Houjo.  You’re a cruel and sadistic man that I want nothing to do with.”

 

“But I’ve already told you, I’ve changed.  I’m not that man I used to be.  So can’t we be friends?  Good friends.  I want to be there for you sweetheart, to comfort and soothe away all that pain you must be feeling inside...to give you what you truly need.  And, now that the bra…uh… kid’s no longer around, there’s really no reason why we shouldn’t keep seeing each other, is there?”

 

“I can think of a few.  Besides my wish wasn’t granted so why should yours be?  And as far as change goes?  You’re nothing to me but a spiteful, mean person who likes nothing more than to be in control of everyone and everything around him.

 

“Why must you be so spiteful, Kagome?  I not trying to be mean here.  I understand.  You miss the kid, right?  You’re depressed, and lonely because the kid’s no longer there with you.  You feel deserted, left behind.  There’s no one there that will help you through all your pain and misery.  But I’d be more than happy, more than willing to come over right now and help you through all of it.”

 

“I’m not really all that lonely Houjo,” replies Kagome haughtily.  “I still have my friends, good friends who are still here to keep me company just as they’ve always been.  I have great support through them which is a lot more than what I ever got from you.  Now since the one reason for us to meet is no longer among us, there’s really no reason at all for you and I to continue seeing or speaking to one another.  So, good-bye!”

 

“Wait…” says Houjo anxiously.  “Don’t hang up!”

 

“I can’t stay on the phone all day Houjo,” replies Kagome impatiently.  “There’s things I’ve got to do.”

 

“I know, I know.  But just hear me out, ok?  Now it seems to me Kagome, just because the boy’s dead doesn’t mean that’s the end of us.”

 

“Us?”

 

“That’s right.  We’re friends sweetheart and… well you still need me.”

 

“You keep saying that but for the life of me I can’t understand why that is.”

 

“Oh, come now, give me some credit.  I know you have little to no money Kagome and funerals aren’t cheap.  You’ve probably spent what life’s savings you had just on the boy’s casket alone.  You need my help paying for the rest of it.”

 

“The funeral was already paid for Houjo.  I used the money Lisa gave me so I didn’t have to spend a dime.”

 

“Where the hell did Lisa get that kind of money?  I didn’t give it to her?”

 

“Funny.  And here I thought you knew everything about Lisa.  Guess I was wrong, huh.  Now if you don’t mind, I’m...”

 

“Sweetheart.  I know you’re hurting.  You’re still suffering from the effects of the funeral so you’re not really listening to what I’m saying here.  We really shouldn’t be talking about such matters over the phone anyway.  We should be talking about this in person…face to face.  I want to you to allow me to come by your apartment Kagome where we can sit and calmly talk about the whole situation together.  Perhaps when you’re finally able to look at the big picture, we can come to a new, more satisfactory arrangement which could benefit the both of us.  You and me.  All this death business has made you so unhappy and miserable.  You just don’t know who to trust or where to go anymore.  So, I’m coming to you Kagome, to make you happy again.”

 

“You…want to make me happy?”  Kagome gives a laugh.  “Why Houjo?  I’m extremely happy.  I’m happy there is no us.  Happy, there never was an us and I’m even happier to say there never will be an us.”

 

“Kagome.”

 

“If you truly feel the need to help someone, Houjo, if you really wish to make someone happy, I suggest you consider helping your wife, Tory, who may need your attention a lot more than me at the moment!  That should make her very happy, don’t you think?  So, stop worrying about me.  Ok?  Concentrate on your wife.  Make her happy for a change and let me go on with my own life.”  Kagome raises her hand to her temple.  “And another…” 

 

“Will you shut the hell up and listen to me for one damn second,” says Houjo angrily.  “Please?  I’m trying to…”

 

“Trying to what?!  Make me suffer more than I already am?  Remind me of why and how much I loathe you…of how you made mine and Souta’s life a living hell?  Well congratulations Houjo, you’ve succeeded.  There’s no one on this whole planet I hate more than you.  Now I believe this conversation has gone on long enough and has come to an end.  And I would greatly appreciate it if you’d forget my number and never call me again.”

 

“Kagome… Look sweetheart.  I know you’re overwrought and tired, probably not thinking straight,” the man says consolingly.  “It was a mistake to have woken you up so early in the morning.  But you must understand, as the kid’s father I…”

 

“As his what?!” yells Kagome angrily.  “You?”

 

“Yes, Kagome I admit I was his father.  And as a father, who feels the pain of this tragic and terrible loss, I can truly tell you I understand what you’re going through.”

 

Kagome become angrier and tightens her grip on the receiver.  “Don’t you ever…EVER dare say that to me again, Houjo, you hear me?  His father?  Ha!  You’ve never cared one whit about Souta’s wellbeing, or even acknowledged him as your son.  You wanted nothing to do with him.  Not when Lisa was carrying him or when he was alive.  You wouldn’t so much as send Souta a birthday card or anything.”

 

“I know I’ve been an absolute heal about everything Kagome.  And I’m admitting it.  So, let’s just put the past behind us and start over.  All this animosity you’re feeling isn’t doing you any good and it certainly won’t bring the kid back.  What’s done is done.”

 

“Houjo,” Kagome pinches the bridge of her nose.  “You’re really pushing it.”

 

“No, listen.  I’m aware, of how cruel and vicious death can really be my love.  It effects the mind, confuses a person to keep them from thinking straight.  That’s why I’m saying I’m here for you sweetheart.  Here to ease all the pain and sadness you’re feeling.  To share your grief and make things a lot better for you.”

 

“You’re the one who’s not thinking clearly Houjo!” says Kagome angrily.  “Or else you wouldn’t be calling me at all.  Now, I’m just a little too tired to be discussing this with the likes of you so good…”

 

“Kagome!” barks Houjo.  There is a small silence and the man sighs.  “Sweetheart,” he says softer, “you don’t know what you’re saying.  You’re grieving and suffering from the boy’s passing.  I know that so I’ll forgive your rudeness toward me.  Look you’ve been cooped up in that dingy little apartment since the funeral and probably tired of looking at all the walls.  So, I’ll come over and take you away from all that by taking you out to eat.  Anywhere you want to go is fine with me as long as we’re together.  We can discuss the matter of your situation then.”

 

(What’s he trying to do to me,) thought Kagome trying to hold on to her temper?  (Why can’t he understand I want nothing to do with him?  That it’s pointless to even try to talk to me?)

 

“It’s almost eight thirty, sweetheart.  Time enough for me to leave the office and be there to pick you up at…” begins Houjo.

 

“No!” replies Kagome angrily.  “That’s as plain as I can make it for you, Houjo, alright?  I don’t WANT to see you!  I don’t want to HEAR from you!  I want NOTHING from you at all!  So, leave me alone or so help me I will place a restraining order against you, you got that?!”

 

“You don’t mean that!”

 

Kagome angrily slams down the receiver.  “Oooo, the nerve of that…that pompous jerk!  What does he think, I am?  Want to console me?  Ha!  Seduce me is more like it.  A demon could console me a lot better than he ever could.”  The young woman quickly reaches to rub her temples.  (Oh, great.  My head feels like it’s about to explode now.  Why do I even let that…creature…upset me like this?)  Kagome curiously looks around her bedroom.  (Huh!  That’s odd.  This is my bedroom.  But I could have sworn I was in Souta’s room last night.  Could I have started sleepwalking again?)  Kagome shakes her head and slides from her bed to go to the bathroom.  Looking in the mirror, she is greatly surprised to find dark circles under red eyes.  (Man, is that really me?  I look… absolutely horrid!  I can barely recognize myself!)

 

“You are still in pain Kagome, are you not?” says a quiet voice from her mind.  “You’ve lost someone very precious to you.”

 

“I lost my son,” whispers Kagome looking at her reflection.  “A huge part of me.”

 

“Was not he the son of your friend?”

 

“Yes.  That’s what’s hurting me so much.  Souta was Lisa’s child, but he became my son.  Lisa trusted me to take care of Souta and I’ve let her down.  I failed them both.”

 

“Death can be cruel and grievous indeed.  It separates us from those we love and cherish.  A fate we all must share.”

 

“Yeah, but knowing that doesn’t make this wound in my heart any less painful.  Why couldn’t it have been me instead?  I would have gladly traded my life for his.”

 

It was not your time.”

 

“It shouldn’t have been Souta’s time either.  He was too young, so small and fragile.  Souta was just beginning to live his life.  He wasn’t ready to die yet.”

 

“Ready or not, Kagome, when the time of our death comes, there is no force on earth that can stop it.”

 

“Still.”  The young woman splashes cold water on her face.  “It hurts that I’ve been left behind like this.  It wasn’t right.”

 

“The pain you’re feeling won’t always be there Kagome.  For all wounds heal with time.”

 

“If that’s the case then I’m gonna be a very old woman before I heal from this.”  She again looks at her reflection and sighs.  (But it can’t be helped I guess.  No matter how much I’m hurting, or how I may feel about it, there’s no choice for me but to accept the fact my son is gone.  I never will see Souta again and no amount of begging or crying will change that fact.  I must move on without him and hope I don’t fall apart in the process.)

 

The young woman dries her face and curtly nods at her reflection.  “Ok.  It’s a brand-new day and somehow, some way I’ve got to deal with it.  So, buck up Kagome!  You can do this.  Just take each day as it comes.”  Kagome takes a deep cleansing breath, and leaves her bathroom to walk to the kitchen.  Walking through her living room, she notices something rather odd.  Not only is her living room in total disarray, on her couch Kagome finds a large lump covered with blankets, blankets she doesn’t remember putting there.  (What could this be?)  She cautiously approaches the unknown lump, and begins pulling the blankets back, revealing two, swiveling, silver white ears, and then the top of a silver white head.  She pulls the blankets back even further, and a sound, much like a growl, is heard from that head.

 

“Aww, damn it!” it growls tugging on the blanket.  “Come on!  Just a few more minutes?”

 

“Not much of a morning person, huh?” says Kagome with a small smile.

 

InuYasha quickly looks up, clearing his vision.  “Uh, no, not really.”

 

“Too bad!”  Kagome throws the blankets off the hanyou.  “It’s time to get up!”

 

“Hey, give ‘em back,” he whines making a quick grab for the blankets. 

 

“Nope, it’s time you got up InuYasha,” she replies.  “Now.”

 

“Alright, alright.”  InuYasha sighs in defeat.  “I’m up.  What time is it anyway?”

 

Kagome looks up to her clock on the wall.  “About nine o’clock.”

 

“Too early.”  The hanyou grabs the blankets from the floor and lies back down.  “I want to sleep.”

 

“You haven’t been here all night, have you?” asks Kagome curiously.

 

“Um hmm, all night,” groans the hanyou snuggling in the blankets.  “Sleep now.”

 

“Hmm… well alright.  If you’re that tired…”  Kagome walks to her kitchen.  She pulls from her cabinet, her skillet to place on the stove and then walks to her refrigerator to get bacon and eggs.  The young woman curiously looks back to her living room and smiles brighter for she finds the hanyou’s ears shifting to the noise.  After placing the bacon in the skillet to slowly cook she walks over to begin making the coffee.

 

InuYasha lays comfortably, in his nice warm cocoon listening to the movements of the woman in the kitchen.  When the delightful smell of bacon reaches him his nose twitches then, rising up, the half demon as if pulled from the room follows the scent of frying meat.

 

Kagome thinking she’s alone in her kitchen turns and is startled to find InuYasha sitting and waiting expectantly at the table.

 

“I thought you wanted to sleep,” she says with a smirk.

 

“Sleep?  With all, that racket?” the hanyou replies nodding toward the stove.

 

“What racket?” asks Kagome innocently, waving her spatula toward her stove.  “I’m not doing anything, except making my breakfast.”

 

“Oh?”  The hanyou places a smile to his lips.  “Just yours huh?”

 

“Did you want some?”

 

InuYasha lays his chin on the table and looks up with big golden puppy dog eyes.  “Weren’t you going to offer me some?”

 

“Don’t you give me that look, mister,” replies Kagome in mock anger while shaking her spatula.  “It won’t work on me.  Besides, what reason would I have to be making you breakfast anyway?”

 

“Well, we did sleep together, last night.  Don’t people usually get up in the morning to eat breakfast together too?”

 

“I woke up alone, thank you,” says Kagome with a slight grin.  “Why are you still here anyway InuYasha?  Won’t your friend be angry with you staying out all night?”

 

“Nope!”  The hanyou sits up and stretches.  “She’s away on business…won’t be back until the weekend.”

 

“Well, isn’t that convenient?” asks Kagome sarcastically.

 

“Sure is.  So, how’s about making me breakfast, fair maiden?”  The conversation is abruptly interrupted by the ringing of the doorbell.

 

Kagome looks over at her clock seeing it’s nine twenty-five.  “Excuse me, InuYasha,” says Kagome passing the hanyou.  “That would be Sango.  She always comes around about this time of morning for coffee.”

 

“But what about my breakfast?”

 

“Hmph!  What about it?”  Kagome smiles as she leaves the kitchen and walks to her door.  When she opens it; her smile suddenly vanishes.  “YOU!” the young woman cries before pushing against the door attempting to close it, to keep out the intruder.  “I told you not to come here!” exclaims Kagome angrily, pushing even harder on the door.

 

“And I said I wanted to see you Kagome!” yells Houjo pushing against the door.  “So, let me in!”

 

“Nothing doing, Houjo!  You’re not coming in here!  Now leave or I’ll call the police!”

 

“I’m not leaving until you hear me out, alright?!”

 

“You’ve got nothing…,” begins Kagome when suddenly the door is jerked open.  The man on the other side loses his balance and falls through the door of the apartment, onto the hard floor.  Houjo shakes his head and looks up into the angry eyes of the hanyou staring down at him, baring his fangs and growling with his arms crossed over his chest.

 

“I believe the young lady told you to leave, bastard!” snarls InuYasha angrily.  “I don’t take too kindly to someone forcing their way in, where they’re not wanted!  Especially at breakfast!  It tends to make me real angry!”

 

“Who the hell are you?” asks Houjo angrily struggling to stand and then looks behind the upset hanyou.  “What is this…THING, doing here Kagome?”

 

“Not that it’s any of your business, Houjo, but he’s some ONE who’s allowed in here,” replies Kagome angrily.  “Which is more than I can say for you!  So, get out!”

 

“You heard the lady!” growls InuYasha grabbing Houjo’s shirt collar to forcibly drag him to the door.  “She, said it loud and clear.  So, get lost!”  He throws the angry man out the door where he slides across the hall floor hitting the opposite wall hard.  Houjo stares up at the hanyou with loathing in his eyes.  “And don’t let me catch your ass coming around here again!” growls InuYasha.  “You got me?”  Houjo stands, intent on again entering Kagome’s apartment when the hanyou not too gently slams the door in his face.

 

“Why you…  (Think you got the last word in huh bastard?  Well, we’ll just see about that!)  “You haven’t heard the end of this, Higurashi!” yells the angry man.  “You hear me?!  I’ll be back and that THING you’ve got in there with you, had better be gone!”  Footsteps are loudly heard leaving the door.

 

“What the hell’s his problem?” asks the hanyou curiously.

 

“It seems everyone is telling me that these days,” says Kagome shaking her head with a deep sigh.  “Don’t let him bother you, InuYasha.  He’s just a creep.  I’m glad he’s gone.”  Kagome smells a strange odor like something’s burning.  “Oh no… my bacon!” she yells quickly running into the kitchen.  She grabs the hot handle of the skillet.  “Owww,” she exclaims, dropping the pan onto the floor.

 

“You ok, Kagome?” asks InuYasha quickly walking into the kitchen.  “What happened?”  He finds the young woman holding her shaking hand and walks up to her.  “Did you… burn yourself?” 

 

Kagome looks up with tears in her eyes and nods.  “It’s so stupid of me to have done that.  But…”

 

“Let me see your hand.”  The young woman offers her trembling hand to InuYasha, who kneels before her, bringing her hand to his lips to gently lick the burn.  Kagome feeling her heart beating faster, watches his actions fascinated, her cheeks tinting a slight shade of red.  Once finished with his task, the hanyou looking into her eyes slowly rises.  “There…is that better?” he says releasing her hand.

 

“Um, yes…much,” she replies, slowly nodding while bringing her hand back.  “What did you just do?”

 

“You mean this?” he asks waving toward her hand.  The young woman slowly nods.  “Nothing special.  We … demons, have something in our saliva which helps in healing when applied to wounds,” replies the hanyou.  “It’s one reason why we live so long.”

 

“I see.  Do you, um…do that for everyone?” asks Kagome shyly.

 

“Nah.  Only those I like.”  InuYasha gives a curious look.  “Why are you blushing?”

 

“What?”  Kagome quickly touches her warm cheeks.  “Oh.  Well, it just seemed so intimate InuYasha,” she explains shyly as her blush deepens.  “I mean I never knew that a…, well this…”  She looks down.  “I’m sorry.  I must seem like a complete idiot to you.”

 

The hanyou smiles, “Not at all.  You’re not the first to ask about it.  But I must say I’ve never had anyone describe, what I did, as intimate before.”

 

Kagome looks down at the mess on her kitchen floor and sighs.  “Looks like no breakfast for me this morning.  That was all I had.”

 

“Really?  Then let me take you out for breakfast,” offers the young half demon.

 

“What?” asks Kagome surprised by the offer.  “Oh no InuYasha I wasn’t suggesting …”

 

“Come on, Kagome.  It’s the least I can do for your kindness the other night.”

 

“I’ve already told you, didn’t I?  I never wanted or expected to be paid back for what I did,” says Kagome.  “I was glad to help you out.”

 

“I know, but still, I must insist,” says InuYasha again waving a hand toward the floor.  “I’m really hungry and, you’ve managed to ruin my breakfast along with yours.”

 

“Your breakfast?” says Kagome stubbornly placing her hands on her hips. 

 

“Uh, huh,” InuYasha nods.  “Mine.”

 

“That’s funny, InuYasha.  I don’t remember ever saying I’d fix breakfast for you.”

 

“Oh, didn’t you?  Could have sworn you did,” replies the hanyou looking innocent.  “My bad, huh?”  He turns toward the door.  “Guess I’m so hungry I’m starting to hear things.  I’ll just go on down to the diner then and have bacon, eggs and toast all by myself.  See ya.”

 

“Um, wait,” says Kagome shyly feeling her stomach grumble.

 

“Yes?”  The hanyou turns from the door with a somewhat mischievous look in his eyes.  “Did you want something Kagome?”

 

“You um, did say bacon, didn’t you?”

 

“Um hmmm,” replies the hanyou with a slow nod.

 

She takes a step toward the hanyou.  “And eggs?”

 

“Um hmmm.”

 

“Um.”  Kagome bites her lip as she takes another step forward.  “Toast… too?”

 

“Um hmmm.”

 

“I guess I might consider going with you, if you added danish and… coffee?” says Kagome hopefully.

 

“Done!” InuYasha says triumphantly.  “So, how fast can you get changed?”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

It is the morning rush hour, when a young woman and hanyou enter a small diner, to have breakfast.  A man, five feet two inches in height, a little chubby around the waist, and slightly balding is seen working with the fryers behind the counter.  Hearing the bell over the door, he turns, placing his fists on his wide hips while giving a big smile.  “Well now, looky at what the cat dragged in!”

 

“Hey Tumi!” answers InuYasha with a smirk and a slight wave.

 

“Long time, no see, man!”

 

“Yeah I know.  Been busy at the shop.”

 

The cook looks around the hanyou and smiles.  “Ya brought a young lady, with ya, too, I see!”

 

“Sure did.”  The hanyou gives Kagome a slight push.  “What cha think?”

 

The man nods.  “Not a bad looker!  Sort of looks like KiKyo, doesn’t she?!”  The cook leans over the counter giving a wink.  “Hey there sweetie.  What say you and I go out tonight?”

 

“Well I um…don’t…” says Kagome with uncertainty.

 

“Now Tumi,” InuYasha smirks.  “What would Muling think if you took Kagome out?”

 

The cook drops his head in mock disappointment.  “Awe, Yash!  Did ya have to go and spoil my fun?  A man can dream, can’t he?”

 

The young hanyou crosses his arms over his chest.  “Last time I looked Tumi, your WIFE wasn’t a bad looker, herself.  Besides what would I do if I let you have all the pretty ones, huh?”

 

“Dunno.  Probably stay home more, I guess.”  The cook walks from behind the counter, wiping his hands on his apron while shaking his bald head.  He offers a huge smile while nudging the hanyou aside.  “Seems this big lug here won’t be polite so I’ll just have to introduce myself.”  The man takes Kagome’s hand and shakes it.  “Name’s Musaka, little lady…Tumi Musaka.”  He waves his hands around him, “World’s best chef and proud owner of this great establishment.”  Tumi leans over and kisses her hand.  “And who might you be, my fine princess?”

 

“I’m uh, Kagome,” replies the young woman, shyly with a slight blush.  “Kagome Higurashi.”

 

“Ahh, Kagome Higurashi hm?  A lovely name for a lovely lady, such as yourself,” says Tumi, with a smile.  “Don’t ya think so Yash?”

 

“Yeah, yeah,” says InuYasha grabbing the cook’s wrist.  “Lovely name.  Now let go of her hand.”

 

“Awe, do I have ta?”

 

“Ya better if you don’t want your wife seeing ya?”

 

“Now that would be a problem, wouldn’t it?”  The cook releases Kagome’s hand, and looks over at the hanyou.  “So ya got her done, yet?”

 

“Nope,” replies InuYasha with a slight shake of his head.  “Need a part for it.  You’ve got to stop grinding those gears, Tumi.”

 

“Uh uh,” replies the cook, shaking his head and raising a hand in the air.  “Don’t go blaming me Yash… it’s Muling.  She’s still trying to drive the damn thing.”

 

“Well, here’s a thought,” says InuYasha, “buy her an automatic.”

 

“She don’t want an automatic, Yasha.  I’ve already told you Muling won’t settle for anything but a standard cause she thinks she looks cool driving a stick.”

 

“Well, she’s gonna think cool if it breaks down on her again.  The clutches for that model are very hard to come by.”

 

The cook sighs.  “Yeah, I know and they’re so gosh darn expensive too.  But getting my wife to change her mind about anything is a chore in itself.”

 

“If it’s how she looks that’s bothering her, Mr. Musaka, why not just get her an automatic with the gears on the floor instead?” asks Kagome.  “She would at least look like she’s driving a stick, wouldn’t she?”

 

“Well now little lady, you’re not only pretty you’re darn smart too,” says Tumi with a nod.  “So, what cha think Yash?  Think Muling would go for it?”

 

“She might.  With the shift on the floor no one can see it’s not an automatic and it would save you a lot of money.”

 

“I’ll talk to her about it tonight.  Now!”  The cook claps and rubs his hands together.  “Enough about that.  I still got ta feed ya and the princess here.  So, what’ll it be today my friend?  The steak’s not too shabby.”

 

“Let me get Kagome situated first and we’ll see,” replies the hanyou placing his hand on her back.

 

“Sure thing,” says the cook walking away.  “I’ll be around to check on ya in a sec.”

 

InuYasha and Kagome take a window booth and pick up menus.  “So, what will it be, Kagome?” asks InuYasha looking down at the menu.

 

“Not really sure,” says Kagome looking down at hers.  “What’s good here?”

 

“Pretty much everything,” replies the hanyou with a shrug of his shoulders.  “Tumi’s a great cook.  It’s why I like eating here when KiKyo’s out of town.”

 

“Is she your wife?” asks Kagome, suspiciously.

 

The hanyou looks up and smiles.  “I’m not married.”

 

“But it’s KiKyo you want to marry, right?”

 

“How would you know that?”

 

“Oh I don’t know, InuYasha,” replies Kagome with a slight shrug.  “Probably the impression I got the other night when you called me KiKyo.”

 

“I uhh,” says the hanyou, sheepishly.  “Did?”

 

“Sure did.  At the time you sounded really desperate.  Said you didn’t mean to make me…or her angry.”

 

“I see.”

 

“Were you worried she was seeing someone else?” asks Kagome worriedly.  “Like when she goes away on her trips?”

 

InuYasha looks at Kagome, surprised.  “Don’t you believe I have cause to worry?”

 

“Oh… um…”  Kagome suddenly finds interest in her menu.  “My there’s so much in here to choose from.  What are you having?”

 

The hanyou smiles and returns his gaze to his menu.  “Probably steak, eggs, and a biscuit.”

 

“That sounds good.  I’ll have that with danish and coffee.  That was our bargain, right?”

 

“No, our bargain was eggs, bacon, toast, with coffee and danish,” smiles InuYasha.

 

“Oh, um,” replies the young woman, sheepishly.  “You did kind of say that, didn’t you?”

 

“If you want steak, Kagome, go ahead and order it,” says InuYasha laughing.  “I won’t mind.”

 

“Sorry for the wait guys.  Dishwasher’s kind of going on the blink,” says the cook quickly walking up to them with pen and pad in hand.  “So what’ll it be?”

 

“I guess I’m having the number three today, Tumi,” replies the hanyou.  “Extra large.”

 

“Three huh?” asks the cook writing on his pad.  “And what will your charming companion be having?”

 

“I’ll have eggs, bacon and toast, with danish and coffee, please,” replies Kagome.

 

“The number two with sweet and caffeine.  Gotcha!  Be up in a few.”  The cook leaves the two to prepare their meals.

 

“I thought it was steak you wanted,” says InuYasha putting his menu away.  “I told you it would be ok to order it.”

 

“I think it best we stick to our bargain, InuYasha,” smiles Kagome, placing her menu aside as well.  “So, you’re a mechanic?”

 

“Sure am,” replies the hanyou proudly.  “Lots of cars, out there, need work done.”

 

“You like it?”

 

“Yup.  It’s fun playing around with machines,” replies InuYasha.  “They’re always changing with new technology and new models are coming out all the time.  The real challenge for me is just keeping up with it all.”

 

“So, you’re not what they call a backyard mechanic?”

 

“Not me, I’m an original.  One of the few who can work on just about any vehicle out there.  I’ve even worked on the American model T ford.”

 

“Sounds really impressive,” says Kagome amazed.  “My friends are always looking for what they call backyard mechanics to fix their van, because it’s so much cheaper that way.”

 

“It may be cheaper, Kagome,” explains InuYasha.  “But it’s not a very good idea.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“No.  If you want quality work done you have to seek a professional who has been well trained and knows the right parts needed.  That’s the only way it’s going to get done right.  I’m sort of what you might call a doctor for machines.”

 

“A doctor, huh?”

 

The hanyou nods.  “That’s right.  You wouldn’t go to a backyard doctor when you’re sick now would you?”

 

“Of course not, but that’s different.”

 

“Not really.  Just like a medical doctor who knows the body, a mechanic needs to know what he’s doing with a machine, or he might end up killing the thing.”

 

“Killing it?” asks Kagome looking skeptical.

 

“That’s right!  And reviving it?  That’s not always so easy to do.  Especially when someone tries to modify a machine and don’t know what they’re doing.  Why you should see the shape some of the cars are in when they bring them to me,” explains InuYasha.  “Now usually, it’s just something simple like a brake job or tune up.  But man, I’ve seen cars where their owners tried fixing them, themselves, or take them to one of those so-called backyard mechanics, only to bring them to me in worse shape than what they should have been in the first place.”

 

“Are you serious?” Kagome laughs.

 

“Sure am,” says the hanyou smiling.  “I tell you; I’ve seen some real doozies come into the shop.  And sometimes, not very often, the cars just can’t be repaired because of what those backyard mechanics had already done to them.  It’s like a jigsaw puzzle with some of the pieces missing.”

 

“That’s hard to believe InuYasha.  I’ve always thought men were whizzes with machinery,” explains Kagome.  “That when something breaks down, all I have to do is find a man and my problem is solved.”

 

“Yeah, well, sometimes, men are worse with machines than women Kagome.  Especially when it comes to teenagers.  They’re always trying to push their vehicles way too hard, beyond their limits, until they finally blow up or quit running altogether.  You’ve probably noticed them, though; the guys trying to show off to their women.”

 

“That’s just the way of the young I suppose,” says Kagome with a slight shrug of her shoulders.  “They’ll grow out of it soon enough.”

 

“Can’t be soon enough for me,” the hanyou says with a slight shake of his head.  “Not that I can’t use the work, mind you.  It’s just with some of the crazy stunts the young people do today, they’re going to end up killing themselves, or someone else if they’re not careful.”

 

Kagome nods.  “I agree.  Guess we should be grateful there are such great mechanics like you around, huh?”

 

“I don’t know about great, exactly,” says the InuYasha, with a slight blush and scratching his head, “but I try to do my part in keeping their vehicles safe, at least.”  The hanyou sips his water before curiously looking at the woman across from him.  “You know, Kagome, you’re the first female I’ve come across that’s actually interested in what I do, even though you can’t understand it all or even drive.”

 

“I can drive, alright,” says Kagome with a little pride in her voice.  “I have my license to prove it.  It’s just… I can’t afford a car right now.  I’m hoping to find a job soon so I can buy one.”

 

“How do you get around then when you don’t have a car?”

 

“I take the bus.  Miroku and Sango would let me borrow their van from time to time or take me when I need to go anywhere.”  The young woman’s face takes on a look of depression.  “Of course, now with Souta gone, there aren’t that many places I need to go,” whispers Kagome, sadly.

 

“Here you go, Yash!” exclaims Tumi proudly placing two large plates down on the table.  “Steak…large and rare like you like it.  You can still see the blood oozing on the plate!”

 

“You’re a cook after my own heart, Tumi,” says InuYasha eyeing his food appreciatively, before picking up his fork and digging in.

 

“I forgot to ask how you liked your eggs, Kagome.  So, I made them like Yash likes ‘em.”

 

“That’s ok, Mr. Musaka.  I’m always up for a challenge,” smiles Kagome.

 

Tumi places a hand over his wide chest and smiles.  “Ahhh, a woman after my own heart.  And a pretty one at that.”  The cook pats Kagome’s shoulder while nodding toward the hanyou.  “You come see me when you dump this big lug, ok?”

 

“Better not let Muling hear you, Tumi,” says InuYasha chewing his food and nodding toward the cook’s crotch.  “Or she just might cut off a couple of things you’re quite fond of, if you catch my drift.”

 

“Ooo, that’s so cold, Yash,” replies the cook with a shiver, “really cold!”  He winks at the young woman and leaves the table.

 

Kagome picks up her cup and studies the hungry hanyou across from her.  “Is that all you do, InuYasha?  Just work on cars?”

 

“Nope, I work on bikes too, and anything else mechanical that needs fixing.”

 

“I see.  So that’s your passion then.  Machinery… nothing else?”

 

“Well, I do have a gig on the weekends.  It takes away the strain from the week.  With the job I do, as much as I love it, it can still get to me.”

 

“Gig?” asks Kagome curiously.

 

“Yeah, gig,” explains InuYasha.  “You know; a performance.  I play bass in a band.”

 

“A band?” says Kagome surprised.  “Seriously?”

 

“Yep!” smiles the hanyou enjoying the conversation.  “We call ourselves Time Travelers and perform at the Demon’s Encounter.  Ever been there?”

 

“No.  I don’t have much of a social life.”

 

The hanyou takes another bite of his steak.  “You should come by and hear us some time Kagome.  You may like it.”

 

Kagome smiles.  “What kind of music do you play?”

 

“Just about anything really.  I mainly like the old songs myself.  Songs from the sixties and up, none of that hard stuff the kids are playing these days.  We play country, rock anything the audience wants to hear.  Once we even did a marriage gig.”

 

“Sounds like fun.”

 

“Believe me it is.”  InuYasha leans over the table.  “Why don’t you and your friends come by the Encounter and give us a listen?  I can have a good seat waiting for you.”

 

“Maybe I will InuYasha,” Kagome replies.  “It would certainly be different.”  The two continue to talk while finishing their meal.

 

InuYasha, finished with his meal, lays his knife and fork aside and pats his stomach.  “Man that Tumi sure can cook.  That steak really hit the spot.”

 

“It was good,” agrees Kagome.

 

“So, Kagome, now that we have breakfast out of the way, what would you like to do next?”

 

“Don’t you have to be somewhere?” asks Kagome curiously.

 

“Where would that be?”

 

“Oh I don’t know InuYasha.  Somewhere like…work maybe?”

 

“Oh.  Well that depends.  What time is it?”

 

Kagome looks down at her watch.  “I have one thirty.”

 

“One thirty huh?” smiles the half demon leaning back.  “Guess I won’t be going in today.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“It’s too late for one thing,” he replies.

 

“Too late?  Oh,” says Kagome, lowering her head.  “I’m sorry.”

 

“For what?” asks InuYasha curiously.

 

“For keeping you from your work.  Your time’s really valuable and I shouldn’t be taking it up like this.”

 

“Well it’s not as if I…” begins the hanyou.

 

Kagome quickly looks up.  “I can walk home, InuYasha.  Or take the bus.  Maybe if you go in now your boss won’t get too, upset with you.”

 

“It won’t matter to him if I’m there or not Kagome,” says InuYasha, confidently.  “Really.  And if he says anything, I’ll just tell him to go fuck himself.”

 

“InuYasha!” says Kagome looking shocked.

 

“What?!”

 

“You… really wouldn’t say that to him, would you?”

 

“Sure, would,” replies the hanyou with a shrug of his shoulders.  “Why not?”

 

“That could get you fired!”  The young woman quickly rises to leave.

 

“Where’re you going?” asks the hanyou watching the young woman stand.

 

“Look InuYasha.  It’s been great having breakfast with you, and all and I appreciate it.  But I don’t want to cause you any more trouble than I already have.  So, see you around, ok?!”

 

“But…,” begins InuYasha concerned.

 

“Oh, and here.”  Kagome reaches in her purse and lays some currency on the table in front of the hanyou.  “I know it’s not much but it should help with the bill.  I don’t think my meal was too expensive.”

 

“I don’t need it, Kagome,” says InuYasha pushing the money toward the young woman.  “You keep it.”

 

Kagome’s eyes brim with tears.  “I…I’m sooo sorry.  Please forgive me.”  She turns and runs toward the door, leaving her money and a surprised hanyou behind.

 

“Kagome!”  The woman is already out the door before she hears the hanyou calling out to her.

 

Tumi walks up to the table, shaking his head.  “Man, Yash what did you say to make that young woman cry…break up with her or something?  And she’s such a nice girl too.”  He leans over to take the plates, cups and silverware from the table.  “Sometimes, I don’t know about you, Yash.  A good woman like that is hard to find here in Tokyo and you just let one walk right out the door.”

 

“Will you shut the fuck up already?” says InuYasha angrily.  “Bring me the damn check.”

 

“All right, all right,” says the cook raising his hands and backing away.  “Geez.  It’s no wonder she left ya with the mood you’re in.”

 

InuYasha pays the bill and quickly leaves the building.  Looking up and down the sidewalk, he searches for any sign of Kagome.  (Where, in hell, did that wench get to,) he thought anxiously?  Several buses are leaving the nearby bus stop, so thinking Kagome may have caught one, InuYasha walks to and gets into his car sits a moment or two and then slams his fists down hard on the steering wheel.  “What the fuck happened in there?  Here I was thinking we were having such a great time.  Then all the sudden she just gets up and runs out of the building like the hounds of hell were chasing her.  Was it something I said?  I don’t think I said anything to hurt her feelings or anything.  In fact, we only talked about me.  So, what the fuck did I do?”  He starts the engine.  “Well, whatever I did the least I should do, is go apologize.”