InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Yours ❯ Chapter 21

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Forever Yours
Chapter Twenty-One
 
It was Saturday and Kagome had spent all of her free time in the library the day before, trying to find some information about Sesshoumaru. To her dismay, she had found nothing except that he was very involved in politics. As a result of that wasted lunch hour, she hadn't been able to talk to Inuyasha about the night before.
 
Kagome opened her family's phone book. She flipped to the t section and started running her finger up and down the pages.
 
“Takahashi, Takahashi…” she mumbled, looking for Inuyasha's phone number “Darn!” she exclaimed when she found it…it and a page full of other Takahashi's.
 
Kagome didn't know Inuyasha's phone number. “I guess I'm going to have to do this the old fashioned way…”
 
Picking up the phone, she dialed the first number.
 
**********
“Hello?” asked a cool female voice.
 
“Hi, is Yasha there?” Kagome asked wearily, expecting the usual: “You have the wrong number, dear.”
 
“Just a moment.”
 
Kagome was so shocked that she exclaimed, “He's there!” She heard the woman chuckling and Kagome felt her face heat up in embarrassment. A moment later a new voice came onto the line.
 
“Yo.”
 
“Since when do you say yo?”
 
“Kagome is that you?” Inuyasha asked sounding surprised.
 
“Yeah its me.”
 
“How'd you get my number?”
 
Kagome smiled, that sounded familiar. “It took 97 calls, I'll tell you that much. I never realized how many Takahashi's live in Tokyo.”
 
She could hear him smirking. “Well the 98th call is the charm.”
 
“If you had told me that sooner I would've just picked the 98th phone number!” she said in a mock angry voice.
 
He laughed. “Something tells me you didn't just try to find my number because you're bored, what's up?”
 
“Just by that one question her happy attitude was deflated. “Inuyasha, I want to talk to you about Thursday night.”
 
“…Kagome, I was there with you, I saw everything that happened…”
 
“You saw everything that happened but you don't know everything that happened.” That sounded confusing, even to her.
 
“…Okay…so what do you want to tell me?”
 
“It's a really long story, so unless you want your phone to have a busy signal for the rest of the day, I should tell you in person. Can you come over to my house at 3:00pm?”
 
“I can come over now if you want.”
 
“No, I have to go and visit some old friends before then.” Kagome said, thinking of her feudal friends. “Can you make it for three?”
 
“Sure, no problem. Bye Kagome.”
 
“See you soon, Inuyasha.”
 
Kagome hung up the phone and started grabbing first aid supplies, instant noodles for lunch and cat treats for Kirara. She scribbled a quick note to her mother just in case she got home early from visiting a friend in the hospital. Sota and her grandfather were at a sports game.
 
Just as Kagome stepped out the door, the phone rang. She sighed and went to answer it.
 
“Hello?” she asked unenthusiastically.
 
“Hello, may I please speak to Kagome Higurashi?”
 
“Speaking,” she said.
 
“Kagome, this is Detective Kishi of the Tokyo Police Department. I want to update you about Thursday night.”
 
Kagome snapped to attention. “I'm listening,” she said.
 
“We had some experts take a look at Mr. Kuro's bomb and he knew what he was doing. Had he set it off, all of Japan and probably the coast of North Korea would have been obliterated.”
 
“Wow,” Kagome said softly. She knew it was powerful but not powerful enough to cross the water and destroy some of Korea.
 
“You saved many people Kagome. You and your friend Yasha.”
 
“It wasn't just us,” said Kagome, remembering something, “two of my other friends, Sango Saito and Miroku Yamamoto, were with us. We all worked together.”
 
Kagome had called them the night before and asked them if they wanted their names revealed. They said they wouldn't mind the media attention. As Sango had put it, “Who wouldn't want to be famous?”
 
The detective seemed surprised. “Well your names and the story are going to be released to the media shortly. Don't be surprised if they start pounding on your door. Heck, I'd recommend leaving your home for awhile.”
 
“I plan to for the rest of the day,” Kagome said truthfully, “thank you for calling Detective.”
 
“My pleasure Kagome, if you ever have any questions, you can reach me at the Tokyo Police Department.”
 
“Did you catch Kuro?” she asked eagerly.
 
There was a pause. “No but we have our best officers on the case, he should be caught very soon. Don't worry Kagome.”
 
Kagome sighed. “I know, thank you Detective. Goodbye.” Kagome hung up the phone.
 
This can't get any worse, Kuro is still on the loose and when my name gets released into the media, my family is going to know where I was Thursday night…
 
Kagome stared at her computer, remembering Yasuo's email address. She decided to send him a quick email. Kagome sat down at the computer and quickly logged on to her email account.
 
From: kagome.higurashi@speedynet.com
To: the_yasuo_man@swiftmail.com
Subject: Thursday night…
 
Hi Yasuo
 
It's Kagome, from Thursday night. Listen, I want you to know that I'm sorry for impersonating Akemi and that I had a very good reason for doing it. It's a long story but you can probably find out on the news tonight.
 
Thank you for trusting me with this email address, I promise I won't give it to anyone.
 
Kagome
 
Kagome hit send and logged off. It was short, sweet and to the point.
 
She quickly grabbed her backpack, ran outside and jumped into the well.
 
**********
Kagome walked through Inuyasha's forest, stopping by the Goshinboku. She always went there when she had problems with Inuyasha and it made her feel comforted and safe. She touched the bark and felt completely warm.
 
“Hello, old friend,” she whispered, before heading toward the village.
 
When she arrived, she glanced at Kaede's hut. I'll go and see her after I visit my friends.
 
She approached the graves and fell to her knees. “It's been a whole year. No, more than a year. I thought time healed all wounds,” she said softly. “I don't even have any pictures of you guys. My memory is the only camera I have. But the photographs there haven't even begun to fade yet…”
 
“I don't want them too,” she continued. “I want to stop feeling this pain, but if it means forgetting you then I'll never do it. My dreams are the only way I can be with you guys, hunting for jewel shards, fighting youkai, protecting each other…Miroku, Sango, you two never even got a chance to confess your love for each other…well Sango didn't anyway. Shippo, you never got a chance to grow up…”
 
“I wish I could understand what was going on in my time. The people that look so much like you, have the same names as you, act like you…I want to understand but…Sesshoumaru can't explain, Kaede can't explain, I can't explain and they certainly can't either…Inuyasha Takahashi told me I wasn't alone but sometimes…I wonder if that's true…”
 
All of a sudden, Kagome felt the curious feeling of being dunked in cold water. She looked down at herself and found that she was completely dry, but she felt like she had been dunked into a swimming pool. She moved her hands and felt resistance against them.
 
Without warning, the cold-water feeling stopped and she sensed something that she thought she would never feel again.
 
No way, its impossible…
 
But right in front of her, lying innocently on Inuyasha's grave, was the Shikon no Tama.