InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Yours ❯ Chapter 20

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Forever Yours
Chapter Twenty
 
“Kuro,” Kagome whispered, voice shaking.
 
“Kagome,” he replied, smiling calmly.
 
Kagome shook her head. “W-Why? Why would you want to destroy Japan?”
 
Kuro looked surprised and mildly impressed. “So you know everything do you? I thought I was very careful during my planning. I can only imagine how you found out.”
 
“Apparently you weren't that careful after all,” Kagome said, locking eyes with him.
 
Kuro waved his hand carelessly. “No matter. Your knowing doesn't change anything. Unless…you have a plan to stop me?” he asked smirking.
 
Kagome froze. He was right. Somehow, her subconscious had thought that catching him in the act would make him give up and turn himself in. Kagome mentally hit herself. She had only one thought now.
 
Keep him talking…
 
“Why do you want to destroy Japan anyway? What's the big attraction?” she demanded.
 
Kuro just kept smiling. It scared Kagome how calm he was about all of this. “You know who my father is Kagome, do you not?”
 
“How can I not know?” she retorted.
 
“My father is a very important man,” he said, as if he didn't hear her. “I see him very rarely and even when I do see him he is working. Everyone I know, everyone is this building, they only think of me as `Ito's son.'”
 
Kagome felt her heart twist in sympathy. She remembered how awful it felt to be thought of `Kikyo's reincarnation'. Some of the villagers in Kaede's village still thought of her that way. And when she first met Inuyasha he wouldn't even look at her because of that reason.
 
“That's awful,” she admitted quietly.
 
He glared at her. “You have no idea what it is like so quit the sympathy act.”
 
She glared right back at him but kept her mouth shut. He continued, “My father is well-known worldwide. He is so powerful that he is going to be in history books. And when that time comes, those books will refer to me as `Ito's son'.” He said bitterly.
 
Kagome had no idea where he was going with this. All the while, she was wondering where her friends were when she needed them.
 
“Which brings me to this,” he said with his smirk back in place. He gestured to the rocket-like bomb beside him.
 
“I don't follow you,” Kagome said flatly.
 
Kuro narrowed his eyes at her. “This how I am going to make a name for myself. I will always be known as Kuro Ito, destroyer of Japan. I will be known better than my father. Hell, I'll be better known than Hitler! Centuries from now people will be studying Kuro Ito in their history classes.”
 
“You're crazy,” Kagome said, staring into his maniacal dark eyes. “Only an insane person would think that way! And besides, you'll be dead too! Is it really worth it?”
 
Kuro had defiance written all over his face. “Do you really think I haven't thought about that?” he asked with some amusement. “I have nothing and no one to live for. Dying will be bliss.”
 
“You're crazy,” Kagome repeated.
 
Kuro's smirk widened. “Well it seems like we are done with our little chat here,” he said, standing up.
 
“Wait!” Kagome said on a sudden brainstorm. “You say you are doing this to make a name for yourself. How are you going to do that if nobody knows who the “Destroyer of Japan” is? If you blow up the country its not like investigators will ever know who did it. It will be known as the “Mysterious Explosion” or something.”
 
Kuro snickered. “Ah Higurashi, you really underestimate my planning. Yesterday I sent a letter of my plans to almost every country in the world. China, Mexico, Germany, France, Spain, Canada, America and then some…I sent the letters on overnight express so they should be getting them now, at the earliest. By the time they read their letters it will be to late to stop me. I got the addresses from my father's desk,” he finished with a triumphant grin.
 
“But…what about…how did…?” Kagome had run out of questions and Kuro was now inspecting his bomb.
 
“It was nice bragging to you but I've got a country to destroy.”
 
“Keep dreaming,” said a voice from behind Kagome. She whirled around and saw Inuyasha in his security uniform, holding out a cell phone. “Give it up Ito, I have your whole conversation with Kagome on this phone. Audio and visual.”
 
Kuro looked bored. “If you really were listening, then you know that it doesn't matter if you have my “confession” on your phone. It is to late to stop me.”
 
Inuyasha smirked at him and walked closer, standing in front of Kagome as if shielding her. “You don't understand. I followed Kagome up here. From the second she spoke to you, I dialed the emergency number and let them listen in on your conversation. They sent officers immediately. I think I hear them now,” he said.
 
Silence settled on the large attic. Sure enough, Kagome could here sirens getting closer.
 
For the first time all night, Kuro looked panicked. “Then I'll be brief!” he snarled, turning toward his bomb.
 
Kagome looked around the attic for any kind of weapon while Inuyasha tried to keep Kuro from reaching his goal. Her eyes settled on a large bow and a pouch with a few arrows. She swept them off the ground and notched an arrow to the bow.
 
That's right, Onigumo was an archer, I guess Kuro has had some lessons. That's probably why these are here. Oh Kami-sama, the last time I held one of these was just after…Inuyasha died.
 
“Inuyasha, get out of the way!” Kagome all but screamed. She could feel her miko energy gathering at the tip of the arrow.
 
Inuyasha took one look at her arrow and scrambled to do as she requested. He stood beside her, glaring at Kuro in hatred.
 
Kuro, breathing heavily, turned around and saw Kagome's arrow for the first time. He stared at the pink energy surrounding it.
 
“A miko,” he muttered before raising his voice. “You are not going to shoot me with that, are you Kagome?” he said calmly.

”I've done it before,” she said, without thinking of whom she was talking to.
 
Kuro's eyebrow arched and Inuyasha faced her with confusion.
 
“You know that if you kill me, you will be killed. Regardless of my relationship with my father, he will not allow a common schoolgirl to escape with only a few years in prison after taking my life.”
 
Kuro sounded so arrogant that Kagome just wanted to puke.
 
“I'll gladly give up my life it means the rest of the innocent people who live in Japan will survive,” Kagome said without hesitating. Inuyasha looked at her with shocked eyes.
 
“No chance. If your dad's goons want Kagome, they'll have to go through me!” Inuyasha declared.
 
Kuro sneered at him. “You'll die to protect her? How sweet,” he said sarcastically.
 
Kagome had had enough. Remembering her final battle with Naraku, she took those words very personally.
 
“You creep!” she screamed, as she let the arrow fly. She shut her eyes tightly as she heard the thud of the arrow hitting the wood. She peeked through her eyelids to find Kuro lying on the floor, looking severely shaken.
 
Without thinking, Kagome pulled another arrow from her pouch and set it to her bow. She pulled back and -
 
“No Kagome!” yelled Inuyasha, throwing himself at the bow. The arrow flew and hit a wooden box far from its target.
 
“Police!” came a booming voice.
 
As if seized by sudden energy, Kuro jumped off the floor, ran to the attic window and opened it. Before he jumped he turned around and said darkly, “This isn't over Higurashi. Mark my words, I will find you…and I will kill you.” Without another word, he jumped through the window just as three uniformed officers appeared.
 
One of them looked at Kagome and Inuyasha. “Where is he?”
 
Wordlessly, Kagome pointed to the still-open window. The officer muttered into his walkie-talkie, “Need some backup,” before jumping onto the roof.
 
Another officer examined the bomb, “Damn kid knew what he was doing,” Kagome heard him say.
 
The final officer smiled at them, “You two saved a lot of lives tonight, we're going to overlook your fake identification, party crash, etc,” he said.
 
“Gee thanks,” muttered Inuyasha sarcastically.
 
“Any other friends with you?” asked the officer.
 
“No,” Kagome answered quickly, not wanting her friends to have to go to court or answer any statements.
 
The officer jotted something down as Kagome saw someone in the far corner of the room to see a figure. It was Sesshoumaru.
 
“Be right back,” she murmured. She rushed over to the corner.
 
“So you stopped the bomb but not Kuro,” Sesshoumaru said bluntly.
 
“Yeah.” Kagome gave him an update on the evening, including Kuro's departing words.
 
Sesshoumaru's eyes widened. “Kuro Ito said that?” Kagome nodded and Sesshoumaru shook his head. “Kagome, you may have saved Japan but you are now in tremendous danger.”