InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Yours ❯ Chapter 31

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Wow, I was so busy with Inuyasha and Kagome's reunion that I didn't have time to make them interact with Sango and Miroku. Looks like the story is now going to be 33 chapters and an epilogue.
 
**********
 
Forever Yours
Chapter Thirty-One
 
Kagome was so stunned that she just stood there, still staring at Inuyasha.
 
“The sitting room is three rooms down this hallway,” said Sesshoumaru pointedly.
 
Kagome snapped out of it. She was about to move, when she remembered Sango and Miroku.
 
“Are you guys…going to be okay?” she asked, suddenly feeling like she should stay there until they got their memories back.
 
But all traces if fear and uncertainty were erased from their features. “Inuyasha didn't even get a scratch, we'll be fine Kagome,” Sango said with a bright smile.
 
“Get going,” added Miroku, with a shooing gesture.
 
Kagome smiled gratefully at them before turning back to Inuyasha.
 
**********

Kagome followed Inuyasha into the sitting room and shut the door behind her. The sitting room was bigger than her entire bedroom. At one end of the room there was the biggest television that Kagome had ever seen in her whole life. At the other end, there was a large bookcase. In the centre of the room, there were two plush leather couches that faced each other with a thick rug in between. There was even a little fridge in the corner. Kagome could only imagine what the rest of the rooms in the mansion looked like.
 
Inuyasha was already sitting on one of the couches. Kagome wanted nothing more than to run to Inuyasha, throw her arms around him and tell him how much she loved him…but she wasn't sure how he would react to that. He probably didn't even remember the last thing he said to Kagome. Kagome decided to sit on the other couch, across from him.
 
“Inuyasha…could you take off your concealment spell?” At Inuyasha's questioning look, she simply said, “I want to see you. The real you.”
 
Inuyasha's eyes wavered slightly at her words. He brought one hand to his rosary and removed the spell. His hair bled silver, his eyes returned to their amber colour and his claws, fangs and dog-ears returned.
 
For a moment, neither of them spoke.
 
“So…you survived that battle with Naraku,” Inuyasha said, looking away. “I'm really glad…I was afraid that I had failed in protecting you. If you had died, I don't know what I would've - ”
 
“But I did die,” Kagome interrupted quietly. “Not physically, but the moment that you stopped breathing…my soul stopped breathing right along with you.”
 
“Your soul…”
 
Don't cry, don't cry! Get a grip girl! This is not the time or place to-
 
Kagome's tears spilled over. “Do you have any idea what it was like to hold your dying body in my arms?” she asked shakily, “Especially since I was helpless to stop it. I couldn't do anything…except watch you die.” Kagome wiped her eyes but the tears kept flowing like Niagara Falls. “That moment has been playing in my thoughts and dreams for thirteen months.”
 
“Kagome…”
 
“I've never forgotten that you would've survived that battle if you hadn't…taken Naraku's attack for me - ”
 
“Stop it.”
 
Kagome looked up to see Inuyasha sitting beside her with an angry expression on his face.
 
“I'm going to tell you something Kagome. All my life, I have been shunned and hated for what I was. There was little purpose for me to stay alive. When I was young, my mother was my reason for living. When I became older, the Sacred Jewel was my reason for living. When I met Kikyo, she became my reason for living and…not long after you freed me from the tree, you became the reason for me to keep living.”
 
Kagome looked at him blankly.
 
“Don't you get it? If Naraku had killed you in that battle, there would have been no point in living anymore. You, on the other hand, have a life and family here,” he said, referring to the modern era. “You have a reason for living besides the jewel and Naraku. You still had things you needed to live for - ”
 
Kagome interrupted him again, “The jewel and Naraku? Do you seriously think that they were the reason that I kept coming back? The moment that Kikyo was resurrected, you didn't need me anymore! Kikyo had much better control of her powers and she could sense and see the shards too! I stayed by your side because I wanted to be with you! How could you think that I would just move on!” she yelled.
 
“…Because you did,” Inuyasha said quietly.
 
“What?” said Kagome in confusion.
 
“I re-met you about a month ago. You were almost exactly like you were before that battle. You smiled, you laughed, you had moved on.”
 
“If I had moved on, how come I cried myself to sleep every night for a year because you weren't with me! How come I kept having nightmares about the moment you died! How come I was able to get to your grave in the Feudal Era without the Shikon no Tama! How come I held your Tetsusaiga every day as if it was my lifeline! How come I promised that I would never love anybody but you!” Kagome broke off to wipe her eyes again.
 
Shocked would be the mildest way to describe Inuyasha's expression. His eyes were huge, his mouth was slightly open and he seemed to have been struck speechless.
 
Kagome hadn't realized that she had just blurted out her true feelings to Inuyasha. She kept talking. “But yes! Since I met the modern you, I've changed! I felt happiness again! I smiled, laughed and allowed people in my heart again! I've even fallen in love again!”
 
Inuyasha looked like he'd been smacked in the face. “Love…”
 
Kagome looked at Inuyasha right in the eye. “I've known for a long time that you are my soul mate. The only person that my heart can ever love! Knowing this, can you imagine how I felt when I fell in love with your modern self? I felt like I had betrayed you. I felt…well…I didn't know what you were. Everyone told me that you weren't a reincarnation but even so, I felt like I was doing to Inuyasha Takahashi what you did to me with Kikyo.” Kagome took a deep breath.
 
“I should have known all along why my soul and heart healed soon after I re-met you; why I felt happy again. I should have known why I fell in love with Inuyasha Takahashi. It was because only you could heal my heart and you were both the same people all along!”
 
“Kagome…” Inuyasha choked out. He reached for her and pulled her into his lap and arms. He put his arms around her and clung to her as tightly as she had clung to the Tetsusaiga for many months.
 
Kagome could feel more tears coming. She put her arms around Inuyasha and hugged him as tightly as she could.
 
“Don't think for one second that I could move on without you. Don't think for one second that I haven't suffered,” Kagome whispered, knowing that Inuyasha would hear her.
 
He did. His grip on her tightened, as if he was afraid of letting her go.
 
“Kagome…you love me?”
 
That was when everything that Kagome had said sunk into her own head. She blushed. She had just told him everything that had been on her mind and in her heart since the final battle with Naraku. She had told him her innermost thoughts and feelings…and she didn't regret it.
 
“More than you'll ever know,” she said softly. “I wanted to tell you that day…but I never got the chance. Kikyo told me that I could say it to your soul, but it wasn't the same. I love you so much, Inuyasha. I've really missed you.” She rested her head on her shoulder, closed her eyes and sighed in happiness.
 
Inuyasha rested his head on hers. “Love you too,” he said quietly. “Past and future.”
 
Kagome knew he was referring to his feudal and modern self. She smiled and just enjoyed the feeling of Inuyasha's arms around her.
 
But…there was something that she wanted to do. Something she had wanted to do for a long time. Kagome looked up into Inuyasha's eyes and put her arms around his neck. She raised her head, closed her eyes and touched her lips to his gently.
 
Inuyasha closed his eyes too and wasted no time in deepening the kiss. He brought one hand up to her cheek and ran his thumb down her face, caressing her jaw line tenderly. He ran his other hand up and down her back slowly, pulling her a little bit closer to him.
 
Kagome was in heaven. This was nothing like their first kiss, when they had battled Kaguya. That was more to save his human soul. Their second kiss, in the office, had been chaste. This was much different…this was sensual and loving and a promise of many things to come in the future.
 
Kagome finally pull away and smiled at him. She settled herself in Inuyasha's warm embrace. Inuyasha rested his chin on top of Kagome's head.
 
“So…Koga and Ayame are having a pup, are they?” Inuyasha asked.
 
Kagome laughed softly. “They sure are. You don't have to be jealous anymore.”
 
“Keh!”
 
Kagome grinned and something came to her mind. “Remember that I told you that Yasuo is Shippo's reincarnation?”
 
Inuyasha laughed, “Who knew that the runt would become a famous singer in his next life?”
 
Kagome smiled sadly. “I miss him, don't you?”
 
“Yeah…I do,” he said honestly.
 
Inuyasha and Kagome got quiet for a moment in memory of the young kitsune. Kagome remembered how much he used to enjoy the food from her time and the colouring books she brought him. She remembered his drawings and playing with him outside. She remembered that he would always protect the people he cared about to the best of his ability. She remembered when they first met, when he tried to take her shards -
 
“Oh!” Kagome said. “I just remembered something!” Her hands flew to her neck and she removed the necklace that carried the Shikon no Tama. She took Inuyasha's hand, put the jewel in it and used her fingers to close his around the jewel. “I believe that this is yours.”
 
Inuyasha held the jewel between his thumb and middle finger. “This jewel…I never knew that a small pink ball could cause so much suffering.”
 
Kagome nodded, thinking of Naraku, the Band of Seven and other opponents who used the powers of jewel shards to hurt, kill and manipulate innocent people.
 
“Well…if one of us wishes on it, maybe it'll disappear,” Kagome said. Secretly, as much as she hoped it would, she didn't really believe that the jewel would just vanish.
 
Inuyasha looked at the jewel. “It's already granted my wish.” At Kagome's questioning glance he added, “Well…more like you granted my wish by shattering this stupid thing. If you hadn't shattered it, I would have used it to become a full-fledged youkai and never gotten to know you.” He gave the jewel back to her. “I don't need it.”
 
Kagome realized what he wasn't saying. That having her by his side was all he'd ever wished for. Of course, he wouldn't come out and just say that but Kagome didn't mind. Inuyasha had told her that he loved her and that was all she had ever wished for. She couldn't ask for anything more.
 
“Sure, you might've became a full-fledged youkai…assuming you could get the jewel before I said the word,” she said teasingly, thinking of the rosary.
 
“No problem,” he replied grinning.
 
“You know…I had been meaning to take that off. It probably made you feel chained all of these years and that's not fair to you…” she said trailing off.
 
Inuyasha just laughed. “I've been wearing this thing for more than five-hundred years and you say this now?”
 
Kagome blushed. “I'm sorry,” she said, and she meant it.
 
“Don't be. It's kind of like a part of me by now. If you took it off…I don't think I would feel right.”
 
As always, there was more to what Inuyasha was saying then what he was actually saying. But Kagome just smiled and said, “Okay, but I want you to know that I'll take it off anytime you want. That rosary was given to you out of fear and I…well, I feel the opposite of fear for you now.”
 
Inuyasha grinned at her. “I know.”
 
Kagome remembered something else. “The Tetsusaiga is still at my house. Since it actually belongs to you, you can have it the next time you come over.”
 
“Sure,” he said.
 
“Inuyasha?”
 
“Hm?”
 
“…I'm really, really glad I have you back,” Kagome whispered, trying (again) not to cry.
 
Inuyasha's arms tightened slightly. “I'm glad to be back.”
 
“…Speaking of coming back…we should go and see Sango and Miroku.”