InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Yours ❯ Chapter 32

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Forever Yours
Chapter Thirty-Two
 
Kagome walked nervously toward Sesshoumaru's office. After thirteen months, she was going to see Sango and Miroku again…exactly as she remembered them.
 
As Kagome neared the door handle, she suddenly stopped. She didn't know why but she felt…
 
Inuyasha gave her hand a quick squeeze. “There's no reason to be afraid,” he said as if reading her mind.
 
Kagome shook her head. “Yes there is…I don't know why I feel this way, but…” She leaned against the wall and sighed. “I can't help but feel like I destroyed their entire lives. I mean, what if they were happy with their current families and school and…everything else. And now…Miroku is going to be plagued by thoughts of his deceased family, the wind tunnel and Naraku. And what about Sango? She has to live with the fact that her brother killed her entire family and village - ”
 
“Miroku has his new family and Sango, his wind tunnel has vanished and Naraku is dead,” said Miroku's voice.
 
“And Sango's brother has a new life now and he is not haunted with memories of the past,” added Sango.
 
Kagome turned and saw Miroku and Sango walking toward them with big smiles on their faces. “Kagome,” Miroku said, holding his arms out.
 
Without hesitating, Kagome dove into them and hugged her friend tightly. “I've really missed you, Miroku,” Kagome said, holding back tears.
 
Miroku rubbed his hand in small circles on her back, comforting her. Surprisingly, he didn't try to cop a feel. Kagome realized that he probably knew when it was time to be appropriate and for that she was glad. She was glad to have her beloved friend back.
 
Kagome pulled away and looked at Sango. Sango's eyes were bright with unshed tears, as were Kagome's. Sango hurried toward Kagome and wrapped her arms around her, embracing her tightly. “Oh Kagome…I'm sorry you had to go through all that,” Sango whispered regretfully.
 
“Don't be sorry,” Kagome said, trying to keep her voice strong. “It's not your fault that Naraku took sick pleasure in taking you all away from me.” With that said, the dam that held Kagome's tears, shattered. This set off Sango's tears too.
 
The two girls sobbed. Out of the corner of her eye, Kagome could blurrily see Inuyasha and Miroku looking uncomfortable.
 
Sango whispered to Kagome, “I'm glad you survived that battle with Naraku. You are the sister I never had and losing you would be as painful as losing any other family members.”
 
“The feeling is completely mutual,” Kagome said, pulling away.
 
Sango moved over to Inuyasha and gave him a hug. “It's good to see you again Inuyasha.”
 
Inuyasha grinned. “Likewise.”
 
Sesshoumaru poked his head out the door, looking annoyed. “I did send you down the hall for a reason. I have no desire to listen to your reunions.”
 
Kagome glared at him. “Sesshoumaru…”
 
Sesshoumaru looked at her with no expression.
 
Then Kagome's expression brightened. Before Sesshoumaru could move, Kagome had dashed toward him and thrown her arms around the tai-youkai. She squeezed him tightly. “Thank you, thank you, thank you!” she squealed. “Thank you for bringing them back!”
 
Sesshoumaru stiffened. “I didn't do it for you, Miko.”
 
Kagome looked up at him with gratitude shining in her eyes. “I couldn't care less why you brought them back! All that matters is that you did!” Quickly placing a kiss on his cheek, she backed off.
 
Inuyasha, Sango and Miroku were looking at her in shock and she couldn't really blame them. She had just kissed the emotionless, deadly youkai, Sesshoumaru. The Inu-youkai that had tried to kill her more than once in the past.
 
For a second, Kagome could have sworn she saw a hint of a smile in his eyes before they hardened again. “I didn't do it for you,” he repeated, retreating to his study.
 
Almost all at once, Sango, Miroku and Inuyasha let out the breaths that they'd been holding.
 
“Kagome, are you crazy?” Inuyasha asked in disbelief.
 
Kagome just smiled. “He kept you under his care for more than half of a millennium. I can't really feel threatened by him anymore,” she said calmly.
 
At that, Sango laughed outright. “Kagome, you are so different, yet so the same,” she said chuckling.
 
“Why, thank you!”
 
**********

“…Inuyasha…your house is…amazing,” Kagome murmured as she peeked into various rooms on the first floor. She had already looked at the few rooms upstairs that weren't bedrooms with a similar reaction. How could the occupants of the house find each other without getting lost? Who needs 30 bedrooms?
 
“Now that I remember my past, it does feel kind of weird,” Inuyasha admitted, leaning on a doorframe.
 
“You're telling me. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a pool or movie theatre or something somewhere in this house! This house makes Feudal huts look like dollhouses! Heck, it makes hotels look like dollhouses.”
 
Inuyasha grinned. “There's no movie theatre but there is a room with a huge TV, surround sound and a popcorn maker.”
 
Kagome could only gape. “You mean, there's a TV bigger than the one in the sitting room?”
 
Inuyasha laughed at how impressed she was. “Yeah, much bigger. There's no pool, but we have a hot tub. Sesshoumaru wants to put a pool in the backyard and a pool house around it, with yet another TV in it.”
 
“I'm afraid to ask about your backyard, it's probably bigger than then some towns in Japan - Oh! I'm sorry!” Kagome said, blushing as she peeked into another room.
 
It was just like Sesshoumaru's office, but it was a lot more feminine. The room was light blue with a pink and purple flowered border near the ceiling. The chairs were a soft pink and the thick rug was the same colour as the walls.
 
But there was a woman sitting at the computer.
 
“I'm sorry,” Kagome said again, backing up. “I didn't know that someone was in here…”
 
“Kagome?” asked the woman in surprise. A wide smile spread across her face as she stood up. “Oh my goodness. It's been years!” The woman crossed the room in about two steps and embraced the young miko in a warm hug.
 
Kagome was surprised. “Um…Have we met?”
 
It was the woman's turn to blush. “Sorry Kagome, I forgot that some of us change over the years.” She grabbed a section of her hair into a ponytail on one side of her head. “Recognize me now?”
 
“Rin…” Kagome breathed in amazement. She hugged the woman tightly. “It is so good to see you again! You look great!”
 
Inuyasha started to look uncomfortable with the scene of affection in front of him. Mumbling about getting some Ramen, he left the room.
 
Rin was wearing a lavender summer yukata that looked perfect with her raven hair. She wore a lavender headband in her hair and a little bit of gold jewelry on her wrists and neck. Sesshoumaru was right about her age; she looked about 22 or 23…and absolutely stunning.
 
“Did Sesshoumaru explain everything to you?”
 
Kagome nodded. It felt weird to hear Rin address Sesshoumaru so casually.
 
“There are advantages to living with a youkai with a magic sword,” Rin said grinning. “But tell me, how did you keep your youth?”
 
Kagome sank into a chair. “This is where I come from. Did you ever notice that my clothes were kind of odd…compared to everyone else's?”
 
Rin looked thoughtful. “It has been over 500 years…I don't remember much of my childhood. Even if I did, clothes probably weren't something that mattered to me much.”
 
Kagome nodded. “Well, this era, this time, this is where I was born and raised. Something happened to me on my fifteenth birthday that allowed me to travel back in time.”
 
Rin's eyes grew wide. “I can imagine that your time-travel made life very difficult for you.”
 
“More than you can ever know. It's a miracle that I didn't get expelled for poor attendance in school…” Kagome trailed off. “Tell me about you,” she said. “Tell me about Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha. What have you three been doing for all these years?” Kagome asked curiously.
 
Rin smiled. “Well…I've been to university at least nine times for different degrees. I have gotten careers involved with law, medicine, accounting…you name it. Sesshoumaru has some big and boring job involved with politics, but living like this, I can't complain.” Kagome giggled. “He is very dedicated to his work. It wouldn't surprise me if he becomes the next Prime Minister of Japan.”
 
“Impressive,” Kagome said, raising her eyebrows.
 
Rin continued, “I remember very little of my life in the feudal era. However, I do remember the day that Sesshoumaru revived Inuyasha. Sesshoumaru had caught wind of Naraku's scent but we didn't make it there quickly enough. We got there just in time to see you shoot Naraku with your arrow. Sesshoumaru left the area and didn't come back until the next day.”
 
Rin smiled sadly. “I remember that I was so confused. I remembered seeing you and Inuyasha many times…especially that time that Sounga returned to the world and Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru had to work together to eliminate it. It broke my heart, knowing that Inuyasha was dead and that you had disappeared. I remember asking Sesshoumaru many questions…through my tears.”
 
Kagome's eyes held sadness in them too. “Even having Inuyasha back now…the pain I went through will not leave me for a long time.” Rin held a sympathetic look in her eyes. “Rin?”
 
“Hm?”
 
“Do you know why Sesshoumaru revived Inuyasha and my other friends? I asked him but he refused to tell me.”
 
Rin smiled. “I have been with Sesshoumaru for five centuries and I still don't know what goes through his head. Your question has run through my own mind many times. I don't know his reason but I have developed three theories.”
 
She paused. “The first guess is that he revived them because he knew that Naraku was going to be reincarnated and he didn't want to deal with him when the time came.”
 
Kagome snorted. “I wouldn't be surprised. He was too lazy to deal with Kuro's nuclear bomb.”
 
Rin laughed softly. “He knew you could handle it and he was right. My second guess is that he revived them just to stop me from releasing my questions, pleas and tears.”
 
Kagome smiled. “If he's anything like Inuyasha, the tears would have done him in.”
 
Rin nodded in agreement. “And the last guess is simply because they are family and Sesshoumaru would not allow a scumbag like Naraku to take his brother's life.”

Kagome smiled again. “Well, whatever the case, I'm glad that he revived them.”
 
“I am too.”
 
**********

A/N: NOT THE END! I still have many things to tie up (Shippo, press conference, and something else I think you all forgot about…*Grin*). Expect at least one more chapter, if not two, and an epilogue. I want to thank all my readers, but especially my wonderful reviewers! The story wouldn't be the same without your praise, suggestions and constructive criticism. I love you all! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.