InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Yours ❯ Chapter 33

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: IMPORTANT! I was looking on ff.net and mm.org and I realized how many stories were called `Forever Yours.' I did come up with this title myself, but there are too many stories with this name for my liking. So I want to ask all my readers and reviewers to help me come up with a new, completely original title. I will give you complete credit if I end up using your idea. Please help me!
 
**********
 
Forever Yours
Chapter Thirty-Three
 
“This is so stupid,” Kagome muttered. “Why did I ever agree to this?”
 
“Because you wanted the paparazzi to leave us alone,” Inuyasha said obviously.
 
Kagome sighed. “Assuming that they will leave us alone…”
 
It was Saturday. The day of the press conference and the day that Sango, Miroku, Inuyasha and Kagome would go out to lunch with Shippo's reincarnation; Yasuo.
 
The press conference was to be held in an auditorium at the local college. Right now, Inuyasha and Kagome were waiting for Sango and Miroku in a room backstage.
 
“Hi guys!” greeted Sango's cheery voice. Miroku was right behind her.
 
Kagome smiled. “Hi!”
 
“I can't believe we are really going to do this,” said Miroku. “I bet you anything we'll still be followed after this.”
 
Inuyasha nodded. “Kagome was just saying the same thing.”
 
A new voice interrupted them, “Oh good, you're all here!”
 
A petite woman with black, red-streaked hair entered the room. She was wearing a red sweater and black dress pants. She looked like she was in her early thirties.
 
“My name is Kumiko,” introduced the woman. “I just wanted to brief you on what you can expect to happen today. This is the first time you have been to a press conference, correct?” she asked, addressing the group. Everyone nodded. “Okay. Here is what you can expect…”
 
**********
“Hi,” greeted Kagome nervously.
 
There she was. Standing in front half-a-dozen microphones and hundreds of people. No, more. She was going to be watched by all of Japan when this was broadcasted.
 
Why did I have to be the one to go first?
 
Kumiko had told each of them to make an opening statement, focusing on talking about the facts. She told them that they would then be asked about their opinions about the people and events involved after that.
 
“My name is Kagome Higurashi. As most of you know, I was one of the people involved with stopping the attempted nuclear bomb attack by Kuro Ito.”
 
She took a deep breath and unclenched her fists, forcing herself to relax. “However, a good number of you probably don't know that I was tipped off about this attack two weeks in advance.”
 
That got the reporters' attention. They were scribbling frantically in their notebooks and murmuring excitedly.
 
“Somebody I knew a long time ago told me about Kuro's plan,” Kagome continued. “He told me that it was up to me to stop it. Naturally, I didn't think that I could do it alone…so I asked my friends for help,” she said, turning around and smiling at Inuyasha, Sango and Miroku. They were sitting in chairs while they waited for their turns.
 
“After I told them about what was going to happen, things started happening really quickly. Miroku came up with a plan to get into the party - he'll tell you about it when he comes up here. The night of the party, we had all split up and I was thinking about where Kuro would keep his weapon. I finally decided that it would most likely be in the attic because no guests would go up there…”
 
Kagome told the rest of the story, how she had stalled Kuro, how Inuyasha had called the police and how Kuro had eventually got away. She also told them about her “attack” from Kuro at her house. When she was finished talking the crowd of reporters started yelling out questions, but she ignored them and took a seat. It was Inuyasha's turn to talk
 
**********
Kumiko smiled at the swarm of reporters, journalists and other writers. “I will now open the floor for questions. We will begin with Miss Kagome Higurashi,” she said, beckoning Kagome toward the podium.
 
Kagome inwardly groaned. This was the part of the press conference that she had been dreading the most. Reporters…asking questions…about a story that had youkai in it. Of course they didn't know that there were youkai involved but still…
 
Plastering a smile on her face she stood up gracefully and walked over to the microphones.
 
The audience immediately began waving and calling Kagome's name, willing her to answer their question. What was she supposed to do?
 
“The young gentleman in the blue shirt in the front row,” said Kumiko with a reassuring smile toward Kagome. Kagome was suddenly really glad that she was there.
 
“Miss Kagome, who was the person that tipped you off about the attack?”
 
The very first question they asked her and she couldn't answer it. She smiled uncomfortably. “For privacy reasons, I can't tell you that.”
 
The other people in the crowd drowned out the man's protests. Kumiko quickly picked another person to ask a question.
 
“Kagome, how did you feel knowing that the fate of Japan rested on your shoulders?”
 
Kagome mentally chuckled. The first `How did you feel?' question of the night. Kumiko had warned her that that question was a favourite among reporters.
 
“Well…the way you'd think I'd feel. When I was first told about Kuro's plan, I was panicked, nervous and scared out of my wits.” The crowd laughed quietly. “But I knew that I had to keep it together or else everyone in Japan would suffer.”
 
And on and on it went. Question after question. Kagome wondered if it would ever end.
 
Kumiko cleared her throat. “This will be the last question for Kagome Higurashi before we open the floor to Yasha Takahashi.”
 
The reporters shouted in objection but Kumiko quickly selected a middle-aged woman to ask a question.
 
The woman smiled. “Kagome, what would you say you've learned from this experience and how has it changed you as a person?”
 
The crowd hushed. Kagome's eyebrows flew up into her bangs. So reporters could ask intelligent questions.
 
Kagome thought about it for a moment. “Well…I've become more confident in myself as a person since that day. But more importantly, I've learned that I have the greatest friends ever and I'm the luckiest girl in the world to have them,” she said, turning around to spare a smile for her friends. “I don't know what I would do without them.”
 
Kagome turned around and took a seat. Inuyasha gave her a warm smile before standing up and approaching the podium.
 
**********
“You four did splendidly!” exclaimed Kumiko happily. “Next time, Yasha, try to not to yell at the reporters.” Kagome giggled, that had been funny and she wished that she had thought of it first. “You can expect to see this on every channel in Japan tonight.”
 
No thanks. I've already lived through it once.
 
“It was great meeting you all, do you have transportation home?” Kumiko asked.
 
“No need, we're meeting someone,” explained Miroku.
 
Kumiko smiled. “Okay. Goodbye everyone.” She walked out the room with a casual wave.
 
Kagome straightened up. “We better get going if we're going to meet Yasuo.”
 
**********
“I was thinking of eating at a nice Italian place near my hotel,” Yasuo said. “What do you guys think?”
 
Inuyasha, Sango, Miroku and Kagome were in a shiny, black, stretch limousine with Yasuo. He had met them at the front of the college and the reporters, still trying to get Kagome and her friends to answer questions, went absolutely crazy over him! Luckily, Yasuo's ten or so bodyguards escorted them to the limo where they promptly sped off.
 
“That sounds perfect,” said Sango.
 
**********

“Ah, Yasuo, good to see you!” said a stout man with shiny black hair. “I see you have some company today,” he said, looking behind him.
 
“Hey Daichi, how're you? Could you get us a table for six?” asked Yasuo smoothly.
 
“Right away, Sir,” said Daichi, grabbing some menus. “This way.”
 
He led them to a fancy circular table. It was covered in a cream coloured tablecloth with gold trim and it was set in a very fancy way. There were crystal goblets and about ten times the amount of silverware that Kagome was used to. Two bottles of wine and a breadbasket rested on the table with a vase of fresh flowers.
 
“Thanks Daichi,” said Yasuo sitting down, completely unfazed by the atmosphere of the restaurant. Daichi bowed and left. “You guys going to sit down?” asked Yasuo, looking amused.
 
Inuyasha, Sango, Miroku and Kagome all snapped out of their dazes and took their seats.
 
A young waiter quickly appeared and took their orders for drinks.
 
“Nice place,” Sango said faintly. Yasuo grinned at her reaction.
 
“Yasuo? You asked for a table for six…who else is coming?” asked Miroku. Kagome looked up. She hadn't even noticed that Yasuo had asked for a table for six.
 
Yasuo grinned. “Oh, I invited an old friend along. She should be here any minute.”
 
The words had barely left his mouth when a cheerful female voice said, “Hi Yasuo!”
 
Kagome turned toward the source of the voice and her eyes widened. No way…Yasuo wouldn't do this to me…
 
“Hey Akemi!” greeted Yasuo with a grin.
 
“So, these are the people you said you were going to invite to lunch,” she stated, settling in the last available seat, the one across from Kagome. Inuyasha gave Kagome a sympathetic look.
 
“Tough luck,” he whispered to her.
 
“This is going to be awkward in the highest degree,” Kagome muttered back, putting emphasis on the word awkward.
 
“Akemi, I'd like you to meet Miroku, Yasha, Sango and Kagome,” said Yasuo, pointing to each of them in turn. Kagome stared firmly at her empty plate.
 
“It's a pleasure to meet you all, Yasuo has told me all about you. Clever way of getting into the party,” she said with a light laugh.
 
Kagome's eyes snapped up. “You mean you're not mad that I…well…impersonated you?”
 
Akemi shook her head. “I think it was really brave of you four to do what you did.” She leaned forward and lowered her voice. “Between you and me, I didn't really want to go to that party anyway.” She winked at Kagome.
 
Kagome instantly liked her and the rest of the lunch was more at ease.
 
“Too bad Yasuo couldn't bring Hanako along,” said Inuyasha with a smirk, “that would've been fun…”
 
Sango hit him.
 
**********
“Thanks for lunch, Yasuo,” Kagome said, reaching for her purse. “Here is some-”
 
Yasuo laughed. “Don't even think about it Kagome. This entire lunch is my treat.”
 
Kagome blushed. Of course! He was a millionaire superstar! A super expensive lunch wasn't even a drop in the bucket for him.
 
“It was great to meet you Yasuo,” Miroku said, standing up and shaking his hand, “You too, Akemi,” he said, kissing her hand. Sango didn't even glance at him. Kissing a girl's hand was a great improvement from how he used to behave.
 
Inuyasha shook Yasuo's hand and Akemi and Kagome hugged. “I can see why you and Yasuo are friends,” Kagome said with a smile.
 
Akemi grinned back. “We should all get together sometime again soon.”
 
“I'd like that,” said Kagome.
 
She turned to say goodbye to Yasuo. He was just offering her and her friends a ride home when she felt a cold feeling wash over her. It was similar to the feeling she got when the Shikon Jewel returned. Kagome quickly touched the sphere around her neck to make sure it was still there. It was but the cold-water-feeling didn't stop. And suddenly she just knew that something was wrong in the feudal era and she had to go there.
 
“That's okay Yasuo, I wanted to show Sango something in the store down the street,” Kagome said, trying to keep her voice steady. “We'll probably head home in a couple of hours.”
 
Yasuo hesitated for a moment before agreeing. He and Akemi walked out of the restaurant.
 
Kagome immediately turned to face her friends. “Something is very wrong. Something is very wrong in the feudal era,” she said in a low voice. “Inuyasha, you have to take me there right now!”