InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Forever Yours ❯ Chapter 34

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Wow. A surprising number of people emailed me and told me that they didn't want the title to change. I quote from one of my readers: “Aw, you can't change the title! It's imprinted in my head now and it'll be weird to read the story if it has a different title! Please don't change it :puppy eyes:” How can I resist the puppy eyes? They are the reason the story has lasted so long! So, I'll keep it as `Forever Yours' for a while. Thanks anyways to all of the people that did give me suggestions. It's great to know you care about the story that much.
 
This is the LAST Chapter! Oh, my god! But fear not! The epilogue will be coming out very soon.
 
**********
 
Forever Yours
Chapter Thirty-Four
 
“What? Why?” asked Inuyasha, sounding confused.
 
“I wish I knew!” Kagome said. “I have always had some kind of weird connection to the past and right now I just know that something bad is happening and we need to get over there!”
 
“Well then, you two better get going shouldn't you?” Miroku said simply.
 
Kagome turned her eyes back to Inuyasha. “Can you please take me there, Inuyasha?” she begged.
 
Inuyasha looked at her for a moment. “Well, if it's important then we better get going.” Kagome smiled in relief. Inuyasha lowered his voice. “We'll have to walk down the street a bit into an alley or something. I can't remove my concealment spell in public.”
 
“I want to come with you two,” Sango cut in. “Inuyasha, you can carry two people on your back, right?”
 
“Well, yeah, but - ”
 
“Sango, my love, are you going to leave me behind?” Miroku asked in a teasing voice.
 
“Miroku…it's not…it's just…” Sango stuttered.
 
Kagome quickly said, “Miroku's just teasing you. You can come along if it's okay with Inuyasha but we have to hurry!”
 
Inuyasha nodded at Sango. “You can come.”
 
Sango turned to Miroku. He smiled at her. “Go ahead, Sango. I'll try and catch up to Yasuo and see if he can give me a ride to the shrine.” With a wave, he hurried out of the restaurant.
 
Inuyasha looked at the two girls. “Let's get going.”
 
**********
Inuyasha landed softly outside the well house and allowed the girls to get off.
 
“Come on Sango,” said Kagome, tugging on Sango's wrist and leading her into the well house.
 
Inuyasha made a move to follow her but she turned around. “Inuyasha, you can't come yet,” Kagome said regretfully. “You have to stay here and wait for Miroku. Remember, he can't go through the well without one of us.”
 
“I'm not letting you go through that well alone when you're sensing that something is wrong!” Inuyasha declared.
 
“I won't be alone!” Kagome insisted, raising Sango's wrist. “I'll have Sango with me!”
 
“Kagome!”
 
“Have a little faith in me, Inuyasha,” Kagome said in an exasperated voice, looking into his golden eyes. “I'm not as helpless as I used to be. Try to understand…I need to do this.”
 
Inuyasha didn't speak for a moment. “Fine,” he said reluctantly.
 
“Thanks Inuyasha!” Kagome said smiling, kissing his cheek quickly. “Come on Sango, let's go!”
 
**********
 
“So, what do you think is happening?” Sango asked as she jogged alongside her friend.
 
“I wish I knew,” Kagome said, running faster. “We have to get to the village and find out.” Sango nodded and they kept running.
 
As they approached the village, Kagome let out a small sigh of relief. There were no youkai or dead bodies around.
 
As if reading Kagome's thoughts, Sango said, “Everything appears to be intact.”
 
Kagome nodded. “Let's go and see Kaede. Maybe there's just something wrong that we can't see…And you can see Kaede and Kirara for the first time as yourself.”
 
Sango grinned. “That would be great. I'm glad that Kirara survived the final battle with Naraku.”
 
Kagome smiled just as Kaede's hut came into view. However, her happy expression quickly faded when she saw Koga pacing back and forth in front of her door, muttering to himself. Kirara was nearby and as soon as she saw Sango, she raced forward into her arms.
 
“I missed you,” Sango said, hugging her. “You knew all along that it was me, didn't you? Smart girl…”
 
“Koga?” Kagome called hesitantly.
 
Koga stopped and looked over at her. “Kagome,” he said in a voice of forced calm. Sango and Kagome hurried over to him.
 
Koga looked at Sango, then Kagome. His eyes were clearly asking her if Sango was another reincarnation. Before she could re-introduce them, Sango spoke up.
 
“Hi Koga. It's good to see you again.”
 
Koga looked surprised. Kagome hastened to explain. “You remember meeting Inuyasha-from-the-future?” He nodded. “It's a long story but it turns out that he, Sango and Miroku were resurrected. They're the same people they were all those years ago.”
 
Koga's eyebrows shot up. Kagome said, “But that's not the reason we came. I had a feeling that something bad was happening here. Do you know what's going on?”
 
Koga opened his mouth just as Inuyasha and Miroku ran into the village. “Hey Kagome!” Inuyasha called, skidding to a stop. He then noticed who was with her. “Hey Wolf, what's wrong with you?” Kagome also noticed that Koga's expression was very unsettling.
 
“I was just about to tell Kagome, Mutt,” Koga said with a weak grin. He turned toward the door of Kaede's hut. “Ayame- ”
 
Just then a scream of pain was heard. Kagome could faintly hear Kaede saying calming words. “Ayame went into labour early,” Koga said nervously.
 
“Oh kami-sama,” Kagome muttered. “That's three weeks early!”
 
Koga nodded grimly. “I was worried about the pup and Ayame, so I brought them here, hoping that the old miko could do something.” He growled suddenly. “The old bag locked me out with seal scrolls so I can't go in there!” he said in an angry, worried voice.
 
Kagome knew just how possessive canine youkai were about their mates. She figured that the separation was probably killing him. Although, she knew that Kaede would be able to concentrate better and help Ayame more if Koga wasn't in there in a panic.
 
Inuyasha looked at him with slight sympathy. “The old woman did the same thing to me once,” he said. “She and Miroku locked me in a hut with sealing scroll to keep me from pursuing Naraku,” he said, glaring at Miroku.
 
Kagome looked on interestedly. “When was this? I don't remember.”
 
“Well…uh…” Inuyasha started.
 
“You wouldn't remember Kagome. That was when Inuyasha took your jewel shards and sent you back home,” Miroku said smirking.
 
Koga's eyes widened. “You took her jewel shards and sent her home?” he grounded out.
 
“It was for her own good!” Inuyasha said defensively.
 
While the two argued, Kagome smiled. It seemed like they were finally distracting him from the pain his mate was going through. Kagome wanted nothing more than to help Kaede and Ayame…but she figured that if she removed the scrolls on the door for even a nanosecond, Koga would charge through the door.
 
“Idiot!”
 
“Mutt face!”
 
“Mangy wolf!”
 
“Half-breed!”
 
“Guys! Take it outside, would you!” Kagome finally yelled in exasperation.
 
Inuyasha and Koga both looked confused. “We are outside,” Koga said slowly.
 
Kagome sighed. “It's just an expression. I just mean go spar or something.”
 
“You are actually telling us to spar?” Inuyasha asked in disbelief.
 
“Yeah, I'd say you're pretty even. Koga doesn't have the jewel shards and Inuyasha doesn't have the Tetsusaiga. Just don't kill each other!” she said firmly. She figured that they both needed to work off some energy, especially Koga.
 
Inuyasha grinned and bounded off toward a nearby meadow. It was the one where they had battled Naraku for the last time. Koga glanced uneasily at the door.
 
“Don't worry Koga. She'll be fine,” Kagome said.
 
Koga nodded. “Kagome? Could you go in there and help the old woman?”
 
Kagome smiled. “You don't even need to ask.” Koga smiled gratefully before following Inuyasha. Kagome turned toward Sango and Miroku. “Can you two make sure they don't kill each other?” Sango nodded with a grin. She grabbed her Hiraikotsu and Miroku grabbed his staff (both were leaning on the side of the hut). They stalked off toward the meadow.
 
Kagome took a deep breath and went inside Kaede's hut.
 
**********
“…And it turned out that Sesshoumaru had revived them,” Kagome finished.
 
She had been inside Kaede's hut for a while now, probably a few hours. Kaede had been grateful for her presence. She quickly told her to talk to Ayame to distract her while she prepared some painkillers out of medicinal herbs.
 
Kagome took the time to tell Ayame and Kaede about the most recent news in her life. Kuro, her friends and everything else.
 
Ayame looked like she wanted to ask questions and comment but every time she tried, her face would tighten into a grimace. Kagome wished that she had brought painkillers from her own era.
 
Kaede made her way over to Kagome's side and said quietly, “It's almost time.”
 
**********
Kagome could hear many things. She could hear Koga's shouts outside, Inuyasha and her friends trying to calm him down, Ayame's heavy breathing and Kaede's voice.
 
“One last push, Ayame,” Kaede said encouragingly. Ayame did as she was told before collapsing in exhaustion. “Good work, Ayame,” Kaede said beaming. “Let me just let Koga in and clean the little guy up.”
 
“The little guy?” Ayame repeated weakly.
 
Kaede's smile widened. “Yes. It's a boy.”
 
**********
Kagome waited outside with her friends, she figured that Koga and Ayame needed some alone time before they would want them to come back in. Inuyasha told her that Koga would need to dispose of the umbilical cord by eating it (“It's a youkai thing.”) and they would need to make sure their pup was alright, considering it was very early.
 
Kagome bit her lip in worry. Inuyasha saw this. “Don't worry, Kagome. Youkai pups are strong. If he survived birth, he'll survive,” Inuyasha said confidently.
 
Kagome smiled at him just as Koga came outside. “You can come and see Ayame and the pup now. Just come in one at a time.”
 
Inuyasha gave her a little push. “You go first. If it weren't for you, we wouldn't have known that Ayame was having the pup in the first place.” Sango and Miroku nodded in agreement.
 
Kagome smiled at him and stepped inside the hut.
 
When she got inside, Koga was already sitting beside his mate, stroking her hair gently. Ayame was laying on the futon, a small baby in her arms. They were the picture of a perfect family.
 
When Ayame saw Kagome, she smiled and beckoned her forward. To Kagome's surprise, Ayame said, “You can hold him if you want.” Kagome's eyes shone with happy tears as she took the baby from Ayame.
 
Kagome touched his cheek softly. He was awake and looking at her solemnly. He was very tiny but she was sure that that would change soon. He had inherited a thin layer of his mother's fiery red hair and his father's piercing blue eyes and pointed ears.
 
“I named him Akio,” Ayame said in a low voice.
 
“He's perfect,” Kagome said quietly. “And his name is perfect too. Welcome to the world, Akio.”
 
“Kagome…thanks for coming in here. It really helped,” Ayame said softly. “If he had been a girl, I would've named her Kagome.”
 
A few tears leaked out of Kagome's eyes. She gently set Akio in Koga's arms before hugging Ayame. “I'm glad I was here for this,” she whispered. She turned her gaze on Koga, then back to Ayame. “This is the start of a new beginning in your lives,” she said with a bright, watery smile.
 
She stood up. “I know everyone else wants to see Akio so I better give them a chance,” she said, her smile never wavering.
 
Ayame nodded and smiled at her. “Thanks again, Kagome,” Koga said.
 
Kagome stepped out of the hut and launched herself into Inuyasha's arms. She hugged him tightly.
 
“What was that for?” he asked curiously.
 
“I'm just happy,” she said smiling. “Oh, you can go in now and see Ayame's pup, Akio.”
 
He gave a small grin before going inside. Kagome sat with Sango and Miroku and smiled at them.
 
Yes, for the first time in a year, I am truly happy. I have Inuyasha and my friends back. We will remember the past and create new memories in the future. Ayame, Koga and Akio aren't the only ones who are getting a new beginning.
 
I am too.
 
**********
A/N: Stay tuned for the epilogue!